No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moni, I feel for you......focus, focus, focus.....you will get it done....
    Day 89 and feeling fine!
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Good Saturday morning Nesters,

Chilly but sunny here so far

Ava, your son is doing great!
      He seems to be developing an attitude of gratitude & reaping the benefits of being AF, awesome. Take some time for yourself too

Hi there Pauly & El!

moni, time to focus. Remove the distractions, sit down & get your work done. Treat yourself to a little something nice afterwards. You will feel much better when the job is done!

Daisy, you will be hitting 100 very soon, yay!!

Wishing everyone a great AF day!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, I am like a child right now....so excited! I cannot believe I am going to beat my own record of 89 days......to join the 100 day club has been on my list for a lomg, long, long time.
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Congratulations Matt! You have kicked butt and are a great roll model!

Moni, if you can get through the hard patch, there is always easier times waiting. I've been remembering this and it has ALWAYS held true!

Daisy, you are beating your record at 89 days, and I will beat mine that was 64 tomorrow - great work! Part of me says "now what", and the other part says "don't be stupid, you know what. Take it easy, keep distracting from AL and focusing on the good stuff, and don't ever repeat the hard early days".

I'm reading the book "The Goldfinch". About 2/3 the way through. The author paints a pretty tangible picture of how it feels to NOT be sober, and how that pretty much sucks. I will be ready to not read about drink and drugs, but I did lay in bed until late last night reading about how addiction to drink and opiates came back to smack the main character a few times, how horrible it was for him to stop - the withdrawals, the headache and numb mind. My husband was in the basement with the fellas playing cards and drinking, and I was thrilled to know I would not be hungover today.

And I'm not! I'm ready for the day! SO happy NOT to have the crap that goes along with drinking!! (like the sweats)

AVA, I love hearing about your son. What good work he has done, and you are parenting well letting him make the decision. That must feel so good to see him succeed and be happy
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning,

Kensho, I get what you're saying. I haven't known any different. The drinking life is what I am familiar with and it was most of my life. This is a brand new life, so we are babies, new at this. We will learn with each new day and grow into it. I want to look at it like an adventure, but that sounds too superficial. It's much more than that. It's our lives, not just a new activity, but a new way of living. So yeah, I feel the same way. I guess that's why the first year is tough like everyone says. New territory, new life, new ways of living. It's the unfamiliar and that creates anxiety and insecurities. But we have to push through it and have faith that we will become more comfortable in this with time.

El, so glad you're doing well!

Daisy, this must be your 90 today. Congrats Girl!

Ava, happy 7 weeks for your son.

Have a good Saturday All.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Great work, everyone!
              All will be well the more distance you put betwen you and AL.

The longest deacde of my life was the year I tried to moderate. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi yall,

Quick fly by. All is well.
                JDG
                Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Carnaval here, oh my do I ever not miss the chaos of that kind of fun.
                  I watched a couple in the supermarket trying to buy wine. Let's just say they couldn't figure it out and the woman was in tears. Quite the strange scene to witness at 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon.
                  (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                    Afternoon nesters

TJ i scored 20+ as well. Every question scored high. now we would be a 0, woo hoo.

Daisy i love that site, so much inspiration. Lots of positives and support and i just love the pics posted with their days of sobriety. Something to be very proud of. Congrats on hitting 90.

Lav i always wondered how adults behaved, i am still not really there yet but i do feel more grown up now!

My son is 7 weeks sober today and such a happy soul. He said the best thing about being sober is he does not continually sweat and this happened even on the days he didnt drink. I asked him the 2nd best thing and he said not as much anxiety. He can now see the positives of not drinking and as we know that is a major turn for us instead of feeling deprived.

He is going to visit friends in March and a friend posted "time to party". My mum asked if he would drink and i said it was his choice only what he did, just as it was my choice if i drank. My son then asked "mum why do people always associate drinking with partying? i dont have to drink to go to a party".

A nice summers day today, lots of washing done and god forbid i did some cooking. Now i am procrastinating about sanding my dining table but one never knows. Then again i may nap and watch The Blacklist.

Take care xx
                    Available you are so right we score a zero now! Woo hoo is such a great noise. I think Ill yell it out loud again. Woo hoo!
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Good evening Nesters!

Sounds like everyone had a pretty good day, I did too
                      Watching the presidential candidates debate on TV now & feeling my blood pressure rising. I think I'll turn it off & save myself, ha ha!!

Stay on plan everyone, you'll have no regrets!!
                      Congrats to everyone on another AF day, yay!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good Evening,

Just had time to read back and post. I agree sounds like everyone had a pretty good day. We did too. Friend and son came and visited most of the day. I can honestly say I am glad my children are not small anymore. I know why I had mine so young, cause at this age I could not deal with the temper tantrums. If I had a drink in my house at that time I would have drank. AND that is why I do NOT have any AL or allow and AL in my home.

Great day in all. Enjoying some peace and quiet before bed. 'Bout time for meditation. Have a safe and sober night.

Staying strong in this fight,
                        JDG
                        Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

So I wake up this morning to a cryptic message on my phone. I have to ask who it is and I get a random name back. I type the name and ? and receive another cryptic message. Turns out it was some guy I went on a date with about 6 months ago, a very bad date I must add. So, I give him the benefit of doubt and ask if everything is okay.. why is he messaging me. And receive a reply saying he's lying in bed recovering from last night etc etc. His head hurts blah blah blah. Then followed by a message asking 'How's your head this morning'?

This annoys me for two reasons. Well, maybe more if I really dug down, but I'll stick with two! Firstly, it is not cool to randomly message somebody you don't even know 6 months after a date with them just because you're either still drunk or so hungover you're unaware of what you're doing. Second reason is the bigger one. How dare you assume I was out getting drunk last night. It just really really annoys me that it's almost a given. I didn't reply, I deleted the conversation and blocked him.

I can't wait for the day when drinking is approached with the same attitude as smoking. So instead of it being an assumption that you must drink, it's an option and a question posed that way. This constant peer pressure is the worst aspect of being off alcohol. It's always viewed as a negative in the country I live. 'You don't drink?' (Ohh, something wrong with them..)
                          Last edited by moni; February 7, 2016, 07:16 AM.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Good Sunday morning Nesters!

Sunny & chilly just as it should be this time of year

JDG, I had my kids young too but didn't drink when they were young. Now, for the past 7 years I've been dealing with grandkids & they are the primary reason I quit & stayed quit. Funny thing how kids can be such great motivators

moni, that was a pretty trashy move on that guy's part. He'll figure it out when he sobers up.
                            I have been observing the young adults in my life & I can honestly say they have a completely different (improved) attitude about AL. Possibly my experience helped form their attitudes, I don't know, maybe.
                            I think you will see the general population's attitude about AL change. What we need to do is stay away from it & be grateful that we chose to make the break!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Super Sunday morning, Nesters..

It looks like everyone has been in a pretty good state of mind..
                              It's exciting to celebrate 2 milestones.. personal bests..

Daisy at 90 days!! and Kensho at 64 days!! Like has often been said here, in a lot of ways it sucks to have to be dealing with addiction.. but in other ways it's actually really amazing.. Meeting great people on the search for a better life, getting to know ourselves better and more honestly than ever before, learning to accept and then deal with reality, learning to take care of ourselves and in turn others, being strong enough to go against the "norm" (thank goodness you didn't get in any deeper with that guy, Moni!!).. in the long run (and even in the short run) we will know what it feels like to have true joy in our lives, to be able to enjoy the ups and work through or sit through the downs. I have bad days, for sure, but mostly I'm so excited to see what's to come. And I'm so happy to have you all here with me to support and celebrate..

Wishing you all an easy and relaxing day..:hug:

Comment

Good morning, Nesters!
                                Grateful is the word, LifeChange. I hate all this happened to me, but it has made me a better and stronger person as a result.
                                Stick with this nesters! There will be a day when you feel NO PULL at all! You neither need NOR WANT to drink! That's what the gift of time and distance provides!
                                Congratulations, Daisy and Kensho on beating your personal bests, stay in uncharted water and you will love the result! Who would want to repeat what you have already done??? NOT ME! So proud of both of you!
                                Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X