Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good evening Nesters,

I had a great day trying to keep up with a 5 year old on a scooter - she's pretty fast but gratefully I can still walk fast too, haha!

Need to quit, it's great gather the tools we need on this journey & put them to good use. Glad you are finding what you need

Fin, I'm sure we all have had our share of testing the waters with AL. Thinking 'this time will be different' screwed me up so many times. I finally stopped BSing myself when I found MWO & that's when I found success. I know you can do it too!
    Stick around & help me celebrate 7 years with no AL on March 26, OK?

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Keeping us empowered, NS. Thanks. I am so grateful for quitting and getting rid of those stones in my backpack. There are too many other things that need to take up space in there.

That's my metaphor and I'm sticking with it.

Night, all.
      Pav

Comment

Good morning all Nesters, happy Friday

Cloudy in my portion of the nest but that's OK. I have lots to do today to stay out of trouble!
        What's on everyone's plan?

Wishing a great AF day for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

NoSugar, I got the opportunity to finish that article and it really hits a lot of key notes. I have tucked it into my personal tool box. The Alcohol Abuse Spectrum is wide enough for everyone here, we just need to recognize it and move on to.

I was thinking about this whole sober thing as I was getting ready this morning. There are an awful lot of us here to finally are getting sober in our 50's. Better late than never, but my biggest regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I let fear and denial call the shots (alkie joke). What a shame. As I look back at my 30's and 40's I just cringe....I wasted so much time being wasted.
          I can't get that time back, but I sure can appreciate the opportunity I have now. I'm grabbing it with both hands and I'm not letting go. In all my years on Earth, nobody ever poured it down my throat but me.
          Take that leap of faith and do whatever it takes to get thru this day AF. Then do the same tomorrow. And so it goes. Breaking up with AL is the best divorce I ever had....and I got custody of ALL!!! Being drunk as a 20 year old might appear amusing. Being drunk as a 50'something is pathetic, and I did it every night. If I can get (and STAY) sober, I know you can!
          It's only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille!! What you DESERVE is a life without AL leading you by the short hairs. Stick with it, I promise it's worth it!!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Spot on with your comments Kensho and J-vo. Goes along with the link to hipsobriety by NS.
            Welcome back Fin.

Comment

Morning all,

It is nice and refreshing to wake up clear headed without all the G/S/R and everything else that goes along with AL. Brydie you are a wise byrd. Looking back in retrospect, living drunk at any age is not amusing, after what we have been through. Those that do not have a problem do see it as amusing and fun, we who have lived it for so many years see the destruction it causes. I see so many young people doing to themselves what I did and my heart breaks. I want to shake them and say "don't you see what is happening". Alas, I remember to well those days and it did not make any difference what anyone said, I had to find out myself how destructive AL is. I just pray they don't wait as long as I did and let them know I am here if they ever need help or support.

On a lighter note, going to dinner with the hubs tonight and AL is not invited.

Have a beautiful day friends,
              JDG
              Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

JDG, for years, especially on Fridays, I would come to work hungover. I would eat the greasy kids' lunches, drag thru the day and feel like total poop. I can say that hasn't happened for a good while and it feels good to end the work week just tired, not tired and hungover. Last night I had to drag myself off the couch to work out, and it wasn't until 7 that I did. As I was working out that late on a Thursday night (late for me as I get up early) I recalled how many Thursday nights I would already be in bed by 7 because I would start to drink when I got home. I like making those comparisons, because it feels good knowing I can do something healthy for myself at anytime of the day, or that I'm able to go or do anything at anytime. Alcohol doesn't get in the way. It doesn't control me. I feel kinda lucky.
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Yes, good to see you back Fin! Alcohol just doesn't give up, does it? Amazing.
                  It has such a draw on us. The other day I was 'sort of' thinking... 'yeah, after you stop drinking for a good long time you can have the occasional drink. No harm done.' Yeah right. I really do not think I have another quit in me, this one was so hard to stick to the first 4 months, I better stomp on those kinds of thoughts.

This is not to infer you don't have another quit in you Fin. Naturally you can do it, it is just I would prefer not to have to do it again.
                  I just pray I have really learnt that drinking is not for me. I started listening to the Bubble Hour again to nudge the old subconscious along.
                  (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

El, after you get through the Bubble Hour podcasts, you might enjoy the HOME podcasts by the women from Hip Sobriety and I Fly at Night. I gave the link yesterday in the LOAMERS thread but you can find them on iTunes and streaming services or with links from their websites. I want to be their BFFs (even though I think I could be their mother if I'd had children very young :haha.

Comment

Good morning from downunder. Don't mind a bit of hip sobriety meself, so will look for those podcasts SB.

Special shout out to the awesome and incredible raawk star that is Little beagle.

Now Nesters, the weekend sure aint no ticket to boozeville see. It might look attractive because it's one way and cheap. :shakingno:

Take care out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see happy, smiling AF faces here

I can honestly tell you all that the longer you do this AF thing the stronger you feel. I am absolutely convinced that this is my last & forever quit.
                        I want all of you to do the same & we can be strong & proud together!!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I've been getting bad at checking in so need to make a point of it. I find it keeps me focused. So far so good and no wobbles lately. Started back at the running again now my flu is gone.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Saturday

Glad to see you moni!
                            Checking in daily always has been an important tool for me as well.

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day ahead!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all,

Just checking in. Enjoyed last night without AL.

Have a super Saturday,
                              JDG
                              Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Enjoying spring-like weather in my neck of the nest.

Moni, checking in is really super important in my opinion. Support and just talking about how you're feeling on your journey, especially the early days and months can go a long way for us.

Spoke to my parents this morning. I think I've mentioned my mom's condition. She has ALS and it's progressing rather fast. Life has become very limited for her. She's on a feeding tube, a breathing machine, a cough assist machine, and needs care 24/7. It's so hard to feel the stuff she's going through. And my dad. Life can be very limited if we drink alcohol too. We lose so much ability to do the smallest tasks and enjoy the simple things in life. We become handicapped by choice. We accept a life that is so much less than what it should be, and what it really is when we drink. Get out and live. Don't die in a bottle.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X