No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byrdie...see I told you that you dont need luck.....everyone knows you will be fine...how about these boiglar alarms.....just noticed the first one didnt turn out ..here you go

Southern-Home-Security-System-500x632.jpg

1392.jpg

tom-cheney-security-guard-watches-himself-on-monitors-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    Last edited by Mick; July 17, 2016, 12:05 PM.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Thank you all for the vote of confidence!

I learned on Friday that my former company has implemented yet another crazy NEW RULE. I tell you, that place is going downhill fast. While I HATE that my job got eliminated, Im with a much better company now. I dont like all the changes in my life, but it's better than the changes Id have had with the old place.

Lifestyle change is hard, but we have to do what we have to do. After a while, that IS our lifestle.

Keep up the great work, everyone! It IS worth it. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi everyone . Glad to report I have made it through the weekend. Just back from airport .. saying goodbye to my son who attends University quite far away ... usually would have been drowning my sorrows instead I am in control for a change .. Good luck Byrd for that exam ! Happy to be a part of this nest , choices , love reading your posts ! Tony , embrace those busy days ... Summer goes by so fast ! Hope to hear good stories tomorrow ! x

Comment

Good on you Bobby boy,I drank my sorrows away over too many things over the years that actually in the end turned out to be NOTHING my oldest moved to Washington state a few years ago,I cried and drank myself silly like an idiot, well she only stayed up there 6 months and was back living with me and still lives with me driving me nuts haha,my youngest daughter moved to Oregon 2 years ago and I drank and cried again but I actually see her more now than I did when she lived here,so things we build up in our heads to be doomsday,OMG,I need a drink situations are b.s and in the end just excuses to drink I'm finally learning after years and years of using al to cope,this is a great group of nesters and I see success in you ALL
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good Sunday morning Nesters,

There's yet another hot & humid day shaping up in my portion of the nest. Grateful for the AC, ha ha!!

Bobby, good job staying in control during an emotional time. It will become your 'new normal', something to be grateful for. Believe me

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Another hectic weekend! My son came home and we all went out last night. Out for lunch today and now everyone is away and I am home alone......bliss!
              My daughter bought me a new bike yesterday.....haven't been out since breaking my leg a few years ago. Time to get pedalling!
              I want to make sure I have covered everything I need to in order to stay sober. I find the Sober Nation site so good for reminders and tips on how to stay on track.
              Went for a wee cycle last night and also starting swimming again tomorrow.
              Lav, I could not live in heat and humidity......I am grateful for our Irish weather, although I do love the sunny, cool days best.
              You will do great Byrdie!
              So, feeling good right now.....one day and one step at a time.
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Nice on the new bicycle Daisy, be oh so careful
                I would use any & all tools you can find to strengthen your resolve.

It's almost 8 pm so the heat is letting up a bit, thank goodness!
                Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello all

Checking in after a much needed vacation. The mountains of New Mexico are so peaceful, the altitude where we were is around 10,000 ft , 70's F for highs and low 50 to upper 40's for lows with virtually no humidity, As my littlest boy (9) told me " Dad, I think we're closer to God here" I agreed.

We have vacationed their annually for the last 5 years in the month of July- brings back a lot of not so great memories, yet a comforting reminder of how far I've come. As I've often said in these rooms -My darkest days have become my greatest allies!
                  July 2014, one month before my last day 1, I was stashing fucking beer in the cold Creek water and sneaking out to drink it FFS! :shutup:

Although my kids drive me bonkers at times, I'm so very grateful for time with my family that I'll remember and cherish.
                  1 Year, 11 months and 12 days without a drop of perfectly packaged poison, but who's counting? :spin:

"You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Don't close the door on the past. You don't try and forget the mistakes that you made, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space."
                  Johnny Cash- died clean and Sober 11 years...

Stay Hard freaks!!
                  AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by kuya
                    I was chatting with NS a few days back and had a 'lightbulb' moment (yes, even after all this time they still happen!).

I realised that, by the time I had a drinking problem, I was having to use alcohol, not to get high, but to return to 'normal'. I had permanently altered my brain chemistry, as has everyone here.

Therefore when we were very happy, we were TOO happy and used alcohol to calm ourselves back to 'normal'. When we were sad, angry, any strong emotion we used alcohol to return the system to 'normal'.

The pink cloud is simply the positive benefit of being drug free which temporarily gives joy and hope. Unfortunately the chemical pathways etched by years of abuse mean ANY strong emotion (good or bad) call to us to use alcohol to return the system to normal.

This is why we cannot get 'high' like before....but we keep chasing it not realising that our brain chemistry has changed, forever.

The up side of this realisation is that you now see the craving for alcohol clearly. Taking a drink WILL return equilibrium for a few hours but abstaining and waiting a few hours will see the system reset itself to normal on it's own.

3Ps has taught me that we are built to reset naturally, as long as we don't take mind altering drugs of any sort.

Understanding the change I have created also means I know that alcohol no longer creates any 'high' as such, merely reignites the imbalance in my brain that will lead to that nightmare of craving a drug that our logical self does NOT actually 'want'.
                    Wow, this made a ton of since to me! Thank you Kuda for explaining so clearly.
                    AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Hi everyone,

Monday here and just trying to catch up on everything MWO, chores, and emotions from the weekend. I'm not having the best day I've got a ton of static going on that I know is outside me... except it's affecting me.. I know it will pass.. It's like having a bee at the table... I'm trying to remain calm,,, but I really want the bee to get off my plate and leave me alone. Not overly horrible... but very distracting in a tense kind of way. I would go into detail.. but I actually am trying to get my mind off of it and focus on things I want to focus on! I'm not sure if I'm making too much since.. I don't feel like I am going to cave or drink.. but I did wish I hadn't stopped so I wish I could later... which I won't do as I'm not at two weeks yet.. and I've added another week.. Meh! Maybe this day is just a write off as far and mood goes!
                      AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                        Good morning all!
                        Great to see everyone! It's so important to stay connected to support.

The Pink Cloud thing is something that I have very mixed emotions about (funny, because it is ABOUT mixed emotions!). The worry for me about it is, it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy. If Im not mistaken, in theory it occurs a few MONTHS after quitting, not days or a few weeks. When you read the articles, it makes it sound like we are destined to crash....that we dare not enjoy today because we will pay for it tomorrow. I just dont buy in to that way of thinking. There are simply ups and downs alomg the way and as long as we stay with our support we CAN get thru it.....like Lav did, and I did....and Mick and NS, and Ava and Matt M. And so it goes. If we are looking for an excuse to fall, it isnt hard to find one and the Pink Cloud sounds like a good one. Dont fall for it, it can be overcome just like DAY 1 can. Dont let anything or any body distract you! This CAN be done....it takes time and patience!

Im all packed for next week, I am heading to Pittsburgh for my Virginia State alarm license exam. There are about 7 of us taking it. Wish me luck on this one. Leaving Monday and will be back Thursday. This new job is kicking my arse.

Tony, I have never heard of a bacon and ice cream sandwich either, what the what?! I live in the south, and bacon is sacred around here, we love our pork products. It sounds promising, but I am curious as to the logistics of it?!!

Neo, maybe this is the wake up call you need to finally put AL in the rear view. For me, it took an ultimatum from my hubs. I never looked back, best decision I ever made (or was forced to make). Welcome back.

Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie

Byrdistheword- another spot on post. I remember in some of my earlier quit attempts and attempts at AA, many people cautioned us newbies about the "pink cloud" I kind of felt like they were raining on my parade? Of course there will be a peaceful easy feeling (great song) in the beginning of quits, we also know it's not going to be easy and we may stay committed. I'm with you in that one Byrd

I thought mixed emotions were when your mother-in-law accidently drove off a cliff in a brand new car? :bravo:

My sweet friend Byrd your a true Soldier, never doubt your abilities, I'm often amazed and admired at your persistence and resilience. You little lady stay Hard. Never hurts to fall to our knees and say the serenity prayer either......

Tony you had me at Bacon....
                        AF 08~05~2014

Comment

Originally posted by Choices View Post
                          Hi everyone,

Monday here and just trying to catch up on everything MWO, chores, and emotions from the weekend. I'm not having the best day I've got a ton of static going on that I know is outside me... except it's affecting me.. I know it will pass.. It's like having a bee at the table... I'm trying to remain calm,,, but I really want the bee to get off my plate and leave me alone. Not overly horrible... but very distracting in a tense kind of way. I would go into detail.. but I actually am trying to get my mind off of it and focus on things I want to focus on! I'm not sure if I'm making too much since.. I don't feel like I am going to cave or drink.. but I did wish I hadn't stopped so I wish I could later... which I won't do as I'm not at two weeks yet.. and I've added another week.. Meh! Maybe this day is just a write off as far and mood goes!
                          Hang in there Choices and keep talking it out with us. Restlessness, irritability and discontent are a one way ticket to relapse.
                          Sounds like your right on track, if that thought of drink comes sneaking in, play that drink out in your mind over the next 24-48 hours and play it out with vivid detail in your imagination. When I do it, I don't make it past 2 minutes and that thought is quickly zapped.
                          Stay Hard my friend
                          AF 08~05~2014

Comment

Hello All , after a week away i'm back home and made it to day 10 , so all good here . i'll take some time to read back tonight to catch up .
                            BND
                            Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                            Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Hello Monday Morning and everyone .. All good here . The week has passed and I cant believe what a difference from last week this time , but not going to dwell on the past !! Choices , hang in there little bird ... Can be a number of reasons why you having this static feeling .. I get you ! I pace around like a demented person at times . I started running again today .. I hope it gets rid of my nervousness . Going to donate my AL free blood later on this morning .. That will make me feel great about myself ! Positive vibes people ... Pauly and Lav .. Thanks guys for the feedback on having kids away from home . Happy Monday all x

Comment

Good Monday morning Nesters

I'm in a rush so I'll just wish everyone a wonderful AF day. Keep moving forward & have no regrets!!!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X