Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi all - I survived Cinco de Mayo! I cannot tell a lie that there was temptation - not so much margaritas (never my thing) but just a Friday happy hour drink. But the temptation was slight and quickly passed with food. Another quiet weekend which suits my AF living right now. Keeps me focused and less likely to stray. I know this will get easier - just have to stay on the sober path.
    Have a great night all! See you in the AM - unhung!

Comment

Nursie, congrats on 6 big months! :yay::yay::yay:And on your anniversary.
      Im so sorry you have to move, that sucks.

Kensho, hang in there. The F-its are hard but you CAN muscle thru. A bleh day sober is a 1000 times better than a day of crazy drinking. For me, NO GOOD came from drinking. It was just an awful cycle of self hatred and feelings of dispair and hopelessless. When would I ever get out of the cycle? Well, I AM out and Im not about to back back to Alco Hell. It is HARD to climb back out. Push those thoughts out and keep moving, there is nothing to see back there in the past. Once you get thru this flat spot you will have it made! I promise! Give time TIME.

TGIF! Hugs to all, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Ok Byrdie, Ava. I needed to hear that. My thoughts feel dangerous right now. Feeling sorry for myself. Can't I just have one night and then do this again? Maybe. Maybe not. I know I've come too far to throw away my progress. I wish there was something else that would have me forget for awhile, be stupid and out of control for a bit.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho, sorry you're struggling. What about a massage? Meditation? A good, bad movie? A run? Something you've always wanted to do but never had the guts? You CAN be wild without the booze, really you can.

Ava - I know that feeling of over thinking. I went to a holiday party in December and I worried about it for SO LONG! I wasn't worried about my drinking, but how I would feel, etc. I ended up going and having a great time, spending a couple of hours on the dance floor. I'm sure you'll have a great time...

CONGRATULATIONS, Nursie. So great you feel so great. Happy Anniversary.

I am SO glad it is Friday. I'm having dinner with friends who will order a glass of wine and MAYBE not finish the glass. Who does that???

Anyway - No ticket to boozeville here.

Pav

Comment

Kensho, i think occasionally maybe i could have one and have control over al but i had no control at the end of my drinking career so what makes me think i have control now? Al will never be my friend again and as we both know al has an incredible pull once we have that one. You are who you are and you are beautiful inside and out. You have worked hard to get to where you are and no one is worth taking that drink for! Why do you need to be stupid and out of control? I get the feeling but as i tell people i love who i am now, i dont want the old me. I am a grownup finally and i would not trade that for the world. If you want to be out of control go bungy jumping and i will add stupid to that too (lol). Tell them all to f#ck off and enjoy you for who you want to be and who you are. Dont let anyone rain on your parade of having a life.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Taking the kids to get ice cream. With lots of very bad treats piled high.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Comment

Good evening Nesters!

Great to see so many checking in today

G, Happy Birthday (a little late) & congrats on passing your course!

Nursie, CONGRATS on your 6 months AF & Happy Anniversary too :welldone:
                  Bummer about having to move. Does it have to be immediately, before the school year ends? Geez!

Kensho, good choice taking the kids out for ice cream. Kids are a great excuse to find booze free activities. The arrival of my first grandson is what finally kicked me into gear. I knew I had to quit completely once he arrived & he will be turning 9 in November. I am so grateful & you will be too!

LS, enjoying time outside in nature is the best medicine for all of us, good job

Speaking of grandsons I just had them both here for about 6 hours, fun times & something I do not take for granted. Protect your quits no matter what
                  Have a safe night in the nest everyone.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                    Ok Byrdie, Ava. I needed to hear that. My thoughts feel dangerous right now. Feeling sorry for myself. Can't I just have one night and then do this again? Maybe. Maybe not. I know I've come too far to throw away my progress. I wish there was something else that would have me forget for awhile, be stupid and out of control for a bit.
                    I can relate to those feelings KENSHO. From someone who has been sober for years and then relapsed, i can tell you it is very hard to get back on the sober path. It took me 9 months to find my way back - and I am still struggling with drinking thoughts. But I keep reminding myself that wine only gives me a very short "good feeling" - like 30 minutes. The rest of the time it sucks.
                    It gets easier as long as we don't drink. Drinking just throws us back into the cycle....that awful cycle of feeling crummy again.

Comment

Happy Saturday all - so happy to once again, wake up feeling well. I had a restless sleep last night but not due to drinking. If I had been drinking, it would have been way worse! I love that realization, when I wake up in the night, that I am sober and no hangover in the making. It is such a relief.
                      Grateful for the weekend! Wish it would stop raining but I will take a day off from work any way I can. Hope everyone has a super sober day.

Comment

Hi Nesters!
                        Just a quickie from me today.. had a lovely day out at the lake with my 4 best friends.. did a bit of kayaking, ate some great food and just had fun talking and laughing. I felt so exhausted this morning and the weather wasn't looking great--I almost cancelled. But there's really nothing like being with good friends to make me feel grateful.

Kensho, thank you so much for posting about all the things your dealing with. Your words and the replies you're getting help me a lot, even this early on in the game, to remember how difficult it is/has been to get back on track after drinking. Ice cream is a great distraction..

I missed coming here this morning to state my goal of not drinking today no matter what and no matter who.. it's been a good habit for me to get into.

So, it's already 630pm and I haven't done the shopping yet and the cats need food! Do any of you live in a place where the stores are closed on Sunday?
                        xx

Comment

Hope everyone is staying strong today. Ive been letting off some steam in the kitchen. Today's project, cupcakes!
                          IMG_2742.jpg
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

It's a sober Saturday...yay. Ate a bit more chocolate and carbs than I would have liked but better than wine. Hitting the hay sober tonight. See you in the AM! Beautiful cupcakes Byrdlady!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We have had a day of clouds, sun, some rain & now the temp is dropping down near freezing tonight - seriously? Where did spring go??

LC, not only did I grow up back when absolutely everything except church was closed on Sundays but now we are living in an area where it's still almost that bad, ha ha! Over the past 14 years, since we've been here some stores now have Sunday hours. Annoying to say the least, ha ha. Glad you got out & had fun with friends.

Susie, you are doing great 7 I am happy for you.

Byrdie, lovely cupcakes. You must have had a LOT of steam to blow off today. They are beautiful

Wishing everyone a comfy & safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Home after a long and somewhat stressful drive but all is well. My son got 3rd in the 3200 and he is over the moon as am I! It was a good day to be sober... I'm worn out - hope everyone has had a good Saturday. Goodnight to all...

Kim

Comment

Working...
                                X