Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Feeling a little bit of sadness here today. Just learned that my cousin (the one recently diagnosed with brain cancer) has decided to enter hospice. She's my age - actually 4 months younger. I've probably already lived longer than she will. On the one hand, I'm feeling grateful that hospice at home exists - it was a wonderful support for my mom and the rest of us during her last 4-6 weeks of life. On the other hand, I also know what this means, and it makes me sad for my cousin's teenage daughter in particular.

Life is short, and you never know when the rug might get pulled out from under you. Hug your loved ones, and don't waste a single day more on al.
    Last edited by wagmor; September 19, 2017, 09:16 PM.
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Wags, you are so right. Life can change on a dime. Im so sorry to hear about your cousin. So sad. Holding you close in my thoughts.

Wishing everyone a safe and easy night. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Wags - you're in my thoughts too. :hug:
        Looks like FL is out of Maria's path. I hope she stays at sea and far away from the northern parts of the East coast.
        Have a good night Nesters.
        Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

No hurricane weather here yet, just a little light rain & a rainbow of all things.

Byrdie, sorry about the lost deal. I'm sure you did your absolute best. You can lead the horse to water but.....
          Hang in there & think about how lucky we have been to be spared (so far) this hurricane season. Maybe a little baking would be helpful?

Wags, very sorry about your cousin, it's rough. It is especially rough for teens to witness their parents decline like this but hospice will do their best to help the entire family. Will be thinking of you & your family with love :hug:

Moonking, morning sickness & hangovers - never thought about it but I guess they really are similar. My youngest is turning 37 this year so it's been a very long time since I experienced morning sickness The hangovers have been gone for a good long while too, thank goodness. Hang in there because you know it all gets better

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters,
            I haven't been posting much these days, mostly because I haven't had a lot to say. I'm in a sortof funny but thoughtful place.. trying to keep my motivation up, stay in a positive state of mind. I had an amazing 4 day hike with my girls last week and I think it was a turning point.. moving on from the past and planting feet solidly in the present. It brought us closer together.. and my parents are flying us out for Christmas, which we are over the moon about.

I have been reading here each day and thinking of you all and will make more of an effort to post regardless.. as I know it helps us all to have the daily contact.

Wags, I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin. It's all happened so quickly and my heart goes out to you and especially to her daughter. You are so right about the passing of time and the fact that we don't in any way know what's coming. I've definitely taken a lot of life for granted... :hug: and love and strength to you these next weeks..

Byrdie, sorry to hear about the deal. I don't understand the priorities of people sometimes when it comes down to saving a few. I do that sometimes, but in bigger buying situations I try to take a good look at the long term and quality. Baking therapy sounds like a good idea and I actually feel like doing some myself. I could go for some deep chocolate cupcakes.. Let us know if you do it..

Moonking, it's been great to see your progress! My eldest daughter is almost 16 but I can still clearly remember the morning sickness.. for 3 months, almost to the day. I was so worried because I couldn't eat anything, the smell of coffee made me want to puke (and I had to make 100's a day at our Café! ughhh) and I lost a good deal of weight. I hear you and feel for you and hope it will pass quickly. I think the 3 month mark is pretty text book. :hug:

Hi G-man! you're sounding good!

Big shout out to Lav and Pav and Ava and Marylou and Roobs and Ann and Londoner and NS (I'm thinking a lot about you..) and everyone else flying by or stopping in today. Hope it's a nice day for everyone. It's definitely Autumn here..
            Last edited by lifechange; September 19, 2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Hi gang,

Good to see you LC!

Here's a webinar from Hip sobriety (Holly) with a few tips that some folk might find useful. Take it easy.

Making Sobriety Stick - Replay — The Hip Sobriety Project

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, All:

Wags - sorry about your cousin. I'm glad for hospice, though. Helps make it all slightly more tolerable. Love to you and your family.

LC - A four day hike with your kids? Sounds wonderful. Was it a hut-to-hut type of thing? I have been thinking of trying to plan something like that with my family. The teenagers don't hike much with me, but I think they both still like it - I hope I have given them a life long habit.

Sorry about your deal, Byrdie. Maybe they'll come running back in two years...

Stay safe and out of the path of hurricanes and earthquakes.

Pav

Comment

I am new, today! So glad I found this site. I used Quitnet for smoking and it worked 10 years ago. I am 1 month sober (this time) and taking antabuse 250mg. I was fine first couple weeks, now, really tired. I do not want to stop or cut in half unless doc is ok with. Also, just reading that antabuse can mess with liver? Yikes, I need this med until I am on my way.

Comment

Hi Fellow Nesters
                    Just back from a 1 week holiday to Ontario. So nice to see family and friends and I'm proud to report that, even though al was readily available, I did not partake. In the past, being on holidays has been my downfall.
                    Had a great discussion with my sister, a doctor, about, as she calls, the booze gene. Our Dad had it. I have it but what surprised me is that our older brother has it even worse than I do. He's always done a good job of hiding it but looking back, I can see how he kept it secret.
                    I'm heading over to Roll Call to record Day 66.
                    QW
                    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Welcome jenjen!You've come to a great place. No doubt others will welcome you in the next few days and provide valuable information including a link to the Tool Box!
                      Hang in there, protect your quit and spend lots of time here. You're not alone and I'm betting that nothing you've done hasn't been done by most of us, so no need to be embarrassed about anything.
                      QW
                      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

:welcome: Jenjen.. Good job on one month AF! Looking forward to getting to know you..

QW, well done on 66 days! and on a sober holiday. It's so nice that you were able to have an open conversation with your sister about it all. It's helped me immensely when I've been able to be completely honest with people I love.

Pav, the girls and I had such a nice time.. it brought us closer and strengthened our new family constellation. It brought on girl power and confidence!:happy2: What is missing for me more than anything living here, is access to mountains and hiking.. not just walking in the woods, but up and down steep trails, following paths, being out for hours. I've been wanting to do this trail for a long time but knew my youngest couldn't quite do it, or at least wouldn't have as much fun, before this year (she's almost 13).. we walked/hiked about 7 hours a day, from one point to the next, staying in pensions/small hotels, a castle! It was a very well marked trail (Germany!) and there's no danger to be heard of, unless you slip and get hurt. But it was amazing to have so much uninterrupted time together, to be put to our limits physically (we all had to carry backpacks with what we needed for the days.. we packed pretty light but that still felt damned heavy!) but to know the only option was to get to the next destination, and to be surrounded by such beauty and clean air. We slept 10-11 hours each night! I can only recommend such a vacation with kids/teenagers. I was a bit surprised that they were both up for it and excited about it.. but they couldn't have helped getting caught up in my excitement (I'd never done such a hike). I loved it and would say it was one of my (if not the) favourite get away. And I think what made me the happiest was to realise that there was NO ONE in the world I would have rather been/had this experience with.. I felt so very fortunate to be so close to my daughters..

Thanks for the webinar, Gman!

Hugs all around..

Comment

It doesn't get much better than that LC! Wowza! What an experience for you all.

Welcome Jen jen! Congrats on a month AF. That's huuuuuge. here's our toolbox link below. Good reading

Hope all are as safe and sound as possible.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

JenJen, welcome to the nest! Around here, we give prizes for accomplishments, here is yours for 30 days! Your hat! :guy: That is really something to be proud of. The first few weeks of my quit, I felt like I had the flu, I was beat, but slowly and surely, I felt steonger and more energetic. Just keep going and dont go backwards no matter what! We are so glad you're here! Well dome! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hope everyone had a fantastic Hump day

Hello & welcome Jenjen, glad you found us!
                              Congrats on your 1 month AF, wonderful. Like Byrdie mentioned, I also felt tired & sick for a few weeks after quitting. I think I had some detoxing to do.
                              Stick with us & check in daily - it helps!!!!
                              I also used Quitnet when I quit smoking - great group of folks

LC, your hike with your girls sounds wonderful. So glad you got to enjoy it together!

QW, great on your AF vacation. Did you think it would ever be possible to do something like that?
                              I actually find everything more enjoyable these days with a clear head

Hi there Pav, G, Byrdie & everyone checking in tonight!
                              Wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening nesters

Welcome Jen, if the antabuse works then take it. al was doing more damage to your liver than antabuse which you will stop when the time comes. Us alkies wont stop drinking without doing what works for us. great work on coming here.

Hi LC great to see you back and getting on with enjoying those girls of yours.

Wags im sorry to hear about your cousin, i hope she is comfortable and you are keeping strong. Sending you hugs.

the other half had his hernia operation today so i drove him to hospital today, lucky for me he was operated on where i work. i am sure i was more anxious than he was but he is doing ok. Has not bounced back as he expected so is in the best place. tomorrow i will take him home and play nurse for about an hour, i think my patience will last that long. so glad to be sober and there for him.

My son is giving it another shot at giving up al. its hard being an alcoholic myself and watching him struggle. i dont want to seem higher than thou. god i know the struggles, i have been there done that and i know how hard it is and to justify that al is not the reason why he is depressed or has anxiety and listen to the list. he is so proud of me, and as i know when you are newly sober you think a long timer had it easy when they stopped. we did talk about going to the dr to chat but decided he would like to see the counsellor my other son saw so i have been in contact with him and he is more than willing to help. i think an outside voice of wisdom will help immensely, i mean what child really wants to listen to their parents wisdom. so fingers crossed for this time. he realises he doesnt have an off switch as i dont but the thought of never drinking again petrifies him as it did me. now i would not trade my sobriety for the world but at the beginning of this journey its scary and thus another reason why i will never drink again. I have shown him it is possible and it is good being sober and he knows what i have achieved in nearly 4 years, so many positives for him if he stops drinking.

Hello to all out there, im off to feed the dogs and spend some time with them.

Take care x
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X