Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

jvo - I’m so sorry about your son. As a mom and someone who also suffers from severe anxiety and social anxiety, it’s one of my top fears to pass it along to my children. I hate suffering through it and don’t ever want them to feel that.

Can I offer a silver lining, though? Your son has YOU. You know exactly what he is going through and that will be tremendously helpful. You can be there for him, you know the ups and downs, you know the struggle and you can relate. Having someone close to him that knows the ins and outs of anxiety will be invaluable to him. Trust me. I grew up with two parents who liked to rug sweep and needed to pretend to the outside world that everything was A-OK and we were the perfect upper middle class American family. I learned very quickly to shut my feelings down (no doubt where I learned terrible coping habits) because expressing them or trying to explain my anxiety made things worse.

No parent wants to see their child suffer, but at least he has a fantastic support system. You are such a good mom!

Kensho - that reminds me of the filter you can buy that takes the tannins (I think?) out of red wine. It’s expensive so I never bought it, but I had co-workers really urging me to. They’d say things like: “Maybe you won’t wake up feeling so bad if you had it!” Riiiiight, that might be the case if I had a headache after 1 glass…but I KNOW the reason I wake up feeling like shit. Because our bodies weren’t meant to guzzle 4-5 glasses of wine in a night!

And you are right about the exercise and eating, but I’m so damn impatient. Just want my body back already! I don’t know how much weight I’ve gained at this point but I do know I’ve caught up from the weight that I lost. And I just despise the way I look. I hate feeling like that, but it is what it is. Part of me has terrible anxiety about what my awful eating habits are doing to the baby, too. I take my prenatal, try to get my fruits in, struggle with the veggies and I love my carbs. I was able to lose about 70-80 pounds after my daughter was born, so I know I can do it again…it’s just getting in the habit. I don’t want to be starting from scratch come May, because as easily as I can get addicted I can get discouraged. But maybe I’ll feel better this time around since I won’t be drinking? We’ll see.

Started on my grout last night. The color is fantastic and will really make a difference in the kitchen. But I bit off more than I could chew in one round! Turns out I need to do a little bit at a time and take more patience in getting the lines right. Very hard for me, but perfectionistic me will win over impatient me with this project.

Having some family over this weekend. Hubby asked if we need to get some beer and wine for my family and I just shrugged and said I didn’t care since I wouldn’t be drinking. But I kind of thought, “Why spend my money for them to drink and then eventually drive home?” They can come and be sober. So it will be an alcohol free weekend for everyone! His family doesn’t drink, my baby brother doesn’t really drink nor do my brothers’ wives (much, anyway) so it would be 3 people drinking. Not necessary and while I know I wouldn’t drink even if it was, I think my family needs to get used to coming to my house and not having alcohol readily available. I will be honest and say that writing that last sentence sent me into a bit of a pity party...but I'll try to keep focused on the positives. Not drinking at my own house means I won't be so consumed by booze to clean up. Which means I'll have the house cleaned up by a decent hour, go to bed at a decent hour, and wake up on Sunday ready to tackle anything!!!

On another pity party note, my daughter moved in the preschool class today at daycare and I just can't believe how fast the time has gone. Let's hope the next few alcohol free years go by a bit slower so I can enjoy these babies while they are young!
    Sober since: 8/27/2017 :yay:

Comment

It's so stupid. I drink and then I can't stop. I know this.. it's been my history for so many years. I don't know if I was too sure of myself?
      Yesterday I drank without really thinking it through. I lied to myself once again, after 11 weeks.. somehow it seemed like the only option.?
      I'm so sad.. and I don't want to completely derail myself, because I know what I want. I want to be sober!
      I'm so afraid of being a weight to those of you just starting or with some time.. I feel in the moment like one of the "unhelpable".. I keep fucking it up over and over again. But I know that if I leave here, I'm completely lost so that's why I keep coming back.
      I strive for a life without alcohol, a life that builds day upon day.. I know my life is at risk and that is why I can't believe I keep taking the risk. It such a risk, like Russian Roulette.
      After drinking yesterday, I met today (didn't know ahead of time that this would be the case) a co-worker/friend who has become the foster parent for a brand new little baby, born to an addict. I have known and held this baby since she was a week old.. and today, she (3 months old) was making eye contact, smiling and cooing at everyone she saw.. she was like a big fat affirmation of life and I felt ashamed at my behaviour.. not taking every day as a gift.
      I am beginning again.. I know that if I don't come clean, I'll set myself back. But it sucks!!

Comment

LC i woke up in the middle of the night here (4am) and was just thinking of you, wondering why i had not read a post from you and then i see this. You leave the nest even for a minute girl and see what happens! Feel all of those emotions and then get over them, you are back, if you wallow in self pity and think you cant give up al then you wont. Remember with MWO we are here to help you, you are not hurting us by drinking you are only hurting yourself and others around you. Life sucks sometimes but thats what its all about, if we were happy all the time we would bitch about that too i reckon. Nothing like a good challenge i say and ours is a constant keeping sober. ONe day at a time LC its all we can do.

Why did you drink yesterday? Of course you thought about it. i know i dont go "oh shit think i will have a drink today", there would be a lot that went through my brain before that happened, even when i was 100 days it would have been the same. Remember a relapse happens before we drink, cant deny that one.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

See that spiral up there, [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]? You went down a segment or two yesterday. It doesn't mean that all you learned and experienced up to that point is gone. The key is to not let what happened be more than it is - a mistake. Just because
          it's been my history for so many years.
          doesn't mean it has to be your future. YOU get to decide that. I think the fact that you signed on here today speaks volumes as to how far you have come and what your future can be. Stay close. xx

Comment

Morning everyone,

well I actually slept well (but I felt exhausted when I had to get up). I had some horrible dreams during the night - not sure if this is linked to having not drunk last night?
            I also noticed the morning looked a lot brighter and nicer this morning as well.

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
            [MENTION=22540]I didn't truly realize how sick I was until I quit drinking. I had been drinking for so many years, that feeling ill was just a normal state for me. When I quit I felt sooo much better, and that alone helps to keep me from taking that first drink. Thank you, it was a good reminder for me. :happy2:
            I was thinking of this in the shower this morning - where I noticed how achey my body was - I have some pain in my right side which is probably my liver - After that 2nd or 3rd drink I feel great and any hangover/anxiety goes away, but waking up in the middle of the night with a headache, feeling sick, my heart racing - what a horrible feeling. Waking up sober I see how sick I've been recently and the way I've been damaging my health is scary!

lifechange - I know how you feel. I quit back on the 17th December and felt it was for good. It was summer holiday so I was staying with family (which meant I couldn't drink if I wanted to) and was very active getting out to the beach etc. Everything was going well, until out of the blue I returned home for NY's eve and went straight to the shop to get some drink. At the time I told myself it was to finish of a horrible year and it was OK. All that happened is I triggered that part of my brain and ended up drinking everyday for a week until I shipped myself back to my parents. Another week of sobriety, but then again out of the blue I had a drink and continued up until Monday night. I am worried this time that I'll relapse - but I'm training my brain again to think "I can't have even one drink - at all" and stop thinking about it and move on.

I've put a little plan together last night as well. Most of my drinking comes from boredom and not challenging myself, so I'm starting a project that successfully helped me last time I quit - concentrating on taking a photo of something (an activity, scenery or something interesting) every day. It worked last time in that instead of leaving work and focusing on getting home to that 1st drink, I immediately started thinking about what kind of photo I wanted to get that evening.

Anyway, I'm running late for work (again!) so I better dash

hope everyone has a good day!
            "one is never enough so one is one too many"

Comment

Yes. I have to think about what started this.. right now I don't know. I'm so caught up in despair.. but I know that's also dumb. because right now is all I have and at this point I only have to worry about getting myself back on track. I felt so good the past weeks.. my life has been so much better than it was before.
              The spiral idea is great and keeps me a bit on top. I feel differently than I did weeks ago.. having so many days sober in a row defintely helped my state of mind!
              I don't feel completely derailed, just so disappointed and insecure.
              thank you, dear ava and ns...

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                I felt so good the past weeks.. my life has been so much better than it was before.
                The spiral idea is great and keeps me a bit on top. I feel differently than I did weeks ago.. having so many days sober in a row defintely helped my state of mind!
                That's good enough for me to stay sober. Such a reality and feeling is all i need to know. I don't know why i've turned to drinking time and time again in the past. Er well, on reflection now, it's my internal unhappiness, and lack of fulfillment. But i have the ability to change this. And i am. For me to address the reasons i drink (unhappiness, lack of fulfillment in my life), i now take action to DIRECTLY focus on doing what will make me happy, and what will fulfill me (chipping away every day - important!). I have thought about this over the years, and i know where i need to start. For me, i've identified the area of making my own music and following through with it, i.e. release it consistently to the public as an active artist. This helps give me a sense of identity and fulfillment. Top 10 hits or millions of fans/sales is not the goal. The goal is to progress and document that progress with public action regularly. Identity! Who am i? What do i stand for internally and externally? Do i have something to say, something to share with the world? Same principle could be applied if i'm into crafts, furniture, cakes, sewing, parenting, cleaning houses, chef, business, student, teacher, secretary, labourer, yogi.

Anyway, i think my point is - my happiness and fulfillment is what i need to take care of and make a part of my life.

The Fk Its! My daily practice, or as the Indian yogi's call it - Sadhana, is what i do purely to build inner resilience to handle myself when the Fk its come along. 5000 years and millions of Yoga practioners saying daily practice of this sort builds resilience can't be wrong! From sports coaches, to music teacher blogs, to booze school, NA, AA, Buddhists, Smart recoverers, Rational recoverers, 12 step hardliners, they all say the same thing - do some sort of daily practice involving self awareness and self care - EVERY DAY. My biggest focus after much trial and error, relapse after relapse, is to build my inner emotional resilience to the Fk its, when they come along. That's it. If i know what i'm going to do when they come along, i'm at least prepared. My thinking after lots of reading on recovery and inner progress and peace, is to find a simple do-able daily self care routine, and do it without fail or question every morning. So far so good. More about me at its allaboutme.com

Great to see you back LC. You are a winner because you turn up for yourself, just like every single person here.
                Last edited by Guitarista; January 23, 2018, 05:48 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see everyone

LC, you are back, it was a one day event so please just let it go.
                  I now know for sure what kept me returning to AL time & time again - DENIAL
                  I had gotten so in the habit of bullsh*ting myself that I actually believed all that nonsense. I could quit anytime, I'm not really that bad, this time is different, etc.
                  I didn't even know I was doing that until after I found MWO & read & listened to the folks who knew better. I had to make myself understand that I was the only one holding me back, no one else was responsible. Once I accepted that concept the rest was fairly straight forward. I know you want this & I am positive you can do it too!

Kiwi, see that? A little thing like a plan can work wonders
                  Keeping yourself full (hunger is a trigger) & keeping yourself distracted (boredom is a trigger) are two wonderful & relatively easy things to manage. Good for you!

I am happy that no foxes were seen today & all chickens are accounted for, ha ha! I feel like I'm living in some wonderland here with all the wildlife to keep an eye on. Keeps me busy & out of trouble so that's a good thing!
                  Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening Nest,

LC, I'm so glad you came right back here. As they say, a slip and relapse are not the same. You're such an amazing woman with a beautiful heart. The relapse thing does scare me as well, though. I know there are things we can read about this. As [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION] said, relapse happens long before we take that drink. Anyone know where we can get that post so we can read? LC, stay on this crazy train with us, please. :love:

Hi G-boy, thanks so much for your kind words. I try to be the best mom I can be, but I've screwed up royally many times because of Al and because we all screw up at times. It's easier to screw up when al isn't the reason behind it. I like your self-care routine. I've been caring for myself a lot more lately. I feel my other quits I didn't add anything good or new to my routine. This time, I'm taking an interest in cooking and getting plenty of exercise and rest. I've lost about 9 lbs so far and am starting to fit into my pants and can actually breath. What a relief. There are so many options for SAD (social anxiety disorder) as I've been researching so much these past few days. I love that there is a national organization for social anxiety and regional offices all over the USA. Amazing how far they've come with this. Son told me already he didn't want to go to group therapy which is a disappointment. I can offer guidance and advice, but he has to make his decisions, even though I want to shove every possible option for treatment down his throat. I need to back off a bit so he doesn't get annoyed with me. Just that I'm so worried and sick over this. :hug:

Lav, he used the student services last year after his girlfriend broke up with him. He said he didn't like the counseling, that it was a waste of time. I wish he would use what they have as we're only paying an arm and a leg for it. He's a 20 year old kid. I think he thinks if he needs that, he'll look crazy or something. I keep telling him we all have something and we need someone to talk to about it. He's not buying it yet.

Jude, Byrdy, NS, and Kensho, thanks so much for your thoughts and support. :heartbeat:

Ava, why are you gettin up so early?:love:

Choices, The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober is on my reading list. Congrats on your great scores!!

Kensho, there are so many new supplements on the market now compared to 25 years ago. Most have the same proprietary blend so that makes me feel safe when purchasing. I got him two different ones and rushed the delivery.

Kiwi, Glad you got through your night. As [MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] said, distract, distract, distract. I'm cooking more than I have ever in my life. It actually feels good to chop those veggies and get all the ingredients together. The best thing is the taste test! Never, ever did I think...I like your photography idea. As [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] said, thoughts are just thoughts. They go if you don't pay attention to them. Moods come and go, too. Watch a favorite sitcom and laugh a half hour away. Or...watch a youtube video on how alcohol affects the liver. That one gets me every time. Scares the crap outa me. And yep, eating will do the trick every time. Fill up on food then see how much you're craving al. It's hard to crave with a full tummy.

Moon, thanks for your words. I know as much about SAD as I do alcoholism. I have boxes and boxes of books on both!

Jude, you're right.. We don't realize how sick we are until our systems are free of the poison. But for me, it'll be a long time before my body will be healed. I'm gonna get there.

Wags, love the upward spiral. Are you gonna put that in the toolbox?? YOU MUST! I'll have to check out your link. I wrote it down just in case I forget. Thank you.

NS, we are better people, because we're working on ourselves daily. We're learning how to be better people and putting into practice tools and strategies that others wouldn't even think about. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (Kelly Clarkson). No, I'm not putting a link in cause I really don't know how.

Today was another day at the office. Not a bad day, but I did have side thoughts about my boy. I'm gonna go and call him now. I'll try and not be a pain in his ass, as I can tend to get that way when I know somethings wrong. I can become obsessed, but what else is a mom to do. I will control myself!!

Night, Nest.

jvo
                    Last edited by jvo; January 23, 2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                      Checking in. Trying to catch up. I started a long (for me) post this morning but I was interrupted, got busy doing stuff and lost my post. Is there a way you can pause your posts without losing them?
                      Hope you're all well.
                      Trucking along over here.
                      Roobs

Comment

Jvo - I'm so sorry - I meant to say something to you re your son and it slipped my mind by the time I got done rambling I don't know much about SAD personally, but I've had several close friends who struggle with that or similar. So glad you are able to be there for your son in so many ways - and all sober! He's in college right? That must be a particularly tough place to deal with SAD. Hugs to you both :hug:

LC - I was just about to pm you cuz it seemed odd that we hadn't seen you for a little bit. Sorry to hear about your slip. Yes, take the time to figure out what triggered or opened the door for that. Glad you hopped right back in the nest though. It's so easy to disappear after a slip, but settling right back in here is one of the best things you can do.

Roobs - great to see you! I've lost so many MWO posts - I know that if the site logs me out while I'm typing, and it takes me to that login screen with the login in the center, if I go ahead and login there (not at the top right of the page), it'll actually keep and post my post. Sometimes I open a text doc or notes file and write my post there where I can pause, save, etc, then copy/paste when ready. If there's another way to do it on this site I'd love to know!

Have great nights and days everyone! Happy almost-hump day!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Tonight's my second evening without AL and that's good - although there is a small underlying bit of anxiety but I'm trying to ignore it. Cooked a yummy dinner as soon as I got home - that's part of my plan: eat something as soon as I get in to fill me up so I'm not tempted to drink. I have another hour or so of daylight so I'm going to go out and have a walk and hopefully get a nice photo of the sunset. Hope everyone's well - talk to you tomorrow...
                          "one is never enough so one is one too many"

Comment

Re: Newbies Nes

You sound good Kbro. All the best for a smooth night for you.

I wrote a long post today too and it got lost. I hate that! Normally I copy what I write to be on the safe side but I forgot to do it the last time.

LC, I hope you are feeling better? I wish I did not know how you feel, but I sure do. Huge hugs.

Hi everyone!

My post earlier was after I was struggling with an intruding thought over gamorizing wine glasses that I saw in a homewards department. Just these ideas of being sophisticated with alcohol is such a lie for me. Such a facade and false fantasy. I actually felt sad I couldn’t be a drinker just because I want to hold a fancy glass? What a trip my head was in. I quickly moved away from them and looked at fancy teapots and ended up buying a spiralzer so I can make vege noodles hoping my daughter will think vegetables are fun. And... it worked! She loved her dinner, so did hubs.. during dinner I felt very annoyed and adjetated. It is really hot and humid, but my mood was BAD. This is defiantly a night I would have had wine to take the edge off. Of what I really don’t know.

I was stressed out all day for no obvious reason. I meditated before I went to pick up my daughter which helped, but it came back while I was cooking. I made this really nice meal and my daughter was pushing buttons playing with her food. (I guess that I made the vegetables tooooo fun) Oh my gosh so I yelled to the ceiling. God dam it I am trying to enjoy this meal!! Hubs looked at me strange and suggested kindly that I go upstairs. I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

I think my F-it moment on the plane that caused my relapse is pressure. Internal pressure. It can be inspired by something or someone but it is just there. Like a pressure cooker. It is something for me to look at I think. Anger, sadness, loneliness, overwhelmed and trying to meet demands... I am not sure where the demands are coming from? I guess that is more to think about for me too.
                            Last edited by Choices; January 24, 2018, 02:23 AM.
                            AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Good morning, all!
                              First of all, as PP2, I'd like to congratulate NoSugar on 5 years of AL Freedom!!! :dancin:
                              I just can't believe it's been that long since you first flew in! Might I say that MWO is better for it! You are a voice of sound reason! It's hard to put into words the love and admiration I have for you. Which is another attribute about you I admire, your ability to put thoughts into words. Well done, dear lady.....do you have a few words for us as to how it feels?

I'd also like to underscore something that helped me tremendously in the beginning. My head was so consumed with what all I was doing wrong, blah, blah, blah, it was hard to find the joy in quitting. When I put myself in the service of others, I was able to step outside my own bubble and see there are plenty of folks out there with bigger troubles other than not being able to drink AL. I took my dog to a nearby nursing home, and you talk about rewarding! Those poor folks LOVED ME (well, AND the dog). I brought joy to someone else in a very small way, but it went miles in my book of 'getting thru this day'. What Lav says is WORD, we are only limited by OURSELVES! Taking the focus off my own problems and helping someone else gave me new things to think about, too. What have you got to lose?

Hope everyone has an awesome day!! Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Quick fly by - a lot going on at work!

NoSugar. CONGRATULATIONS! on your amazing 5 year re-birthday! Your no-nonsense, research-based approach to sobriety suits my personality type to a T and I have been so happy to follow your example. I always know you'll come in with the smart, kind and reassuring words, while not letting us make any excuses. I hope you celebrate yourself today, you deserve it! I have so much respect and admiration for you. Speech, speech!

I'm off again for a morning meeting. Take care, nest!

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X