X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see everyone checking in today

Those drinking dreams serve a purpose! I actually learned to view them as little 'gifts' from the universe, ha ha!
    They sure do make you feel shitty at the time but afterwards there's always a tremendous rush of relief ~ it was just a dream!
    I think those dreams helped me learn to be grateful & keep working to move forward

Choices, when my daughter was young & in girl scouts I served as a co-leader for the troop. We took the troop camping at least 2X/year - all 17 girls!!!! OMG, it was fun but totally exhausting shopping for food & preparing everything to go, LOL But it was also a lot of fun - enjoy your weekend!

Jvo, I hope things calm down tonight when that huge moon leaves us. The super moon causes a lot of weird stuff, honestly.

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quick fly by. Hitting the road for Charlston, SC tomorrow. Glad to be sober, it NEVER gets old. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

I RUSHED through reading so I could slow down and get into bed. I don't want to miss anything, but I am afraid I didn't take the time to read all of the posts carefully.

I CAN say, congratulations to the milestoners - I know J-Vo and Kensho. Did I miss anyone? Keep it up!

Kiwi - that's the exact drinking dream I have. I drink and I've forgotten I quit. Funny enough, I had the same dream when I was pregnant. That I would be at a party and forget I had left my baby somewhere... I hated those dreams, and loved them for the good feeling I had when I woke up and realized they were dreams...

Happy travels, B.

I was up early to watch the lunar eclipse here - it was beautiful! I hope some of you got to see it.

Happy SOBER Hump Day.
        Pav

Comment

As I packed up this morning, I had to think that my bags sure aren't as heavy as they used to be. Carrying around a jug of vodka, then later, Wine, added considerable weight to my rolly bag and my purse (I didn't want to run out). I was struck by another thought, too....my load is lighter in many other ways, not just the physical weight of the liquid. I am lighter in spirit, too. I'm living an authentic, unburdened life. I am so grateful for this place....it was a place to unload a lot of things, and I'm standing taller as a result.

We have one task....Get thur this day AF. Have a great day! Byrdie
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:
            [MENTION=24124]CER[/MENTION], I wanted to post this for you. I REALLY resonated with this (a friend sent it to me - her whole family are addicts). When I first quit, I thought it was special in some way, and tried to find a reason for my troubles with alcohol. This "daily pondering" helps me remember that I'm NOT in fact special. There are a lot of us, and there are some pretty tried and true steps to take to get the alcohol monkey off your back. Dig in and hang around!

"But you don't understand!" we spluttered, trying to cover up. "I'm different! I've really got it rough!" We used these lines over and over in our active addiction, either trying to escape the consequences of our actions or avoid following the rules that applied to everyone else. We may have cried them at our first meeting. Perhaps we've even caught ourselves whining them recently.

So many of us feel different or unique. As addicts, we can use almost anything to alienate ourselves. But there's no excuse for missing out on recovery, nothing that can make us ineligible for the program- not a life-threatening illness, not poverty, not anything. There are thousands of addicts who have found recovery despite the real hardships they've faced. Through working the program, their spiritual awareness has grown, in spite of-or perhaps in response to those hardships.

Our individual circumstances and differences are irrelevant when it comes to recovery. By letting go of our uniqueness and surrendering to this simple way of life, we're bound to find that we feel a part of something. And feeling a part of something gives us the strength to walk through life, hardships and all.

Just for Today: I will let go of my uniqueness and embrace the principles of recovery I have in common with so many others. My hardships do not exclude me from recovery; rather, they draw me into it.

Happy SOBER Thursday,
            Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
              Hi, All:
              [MENTION=24124]CER[/MENTION], I wanted to post this for you. I REALLY resonated with this (a friend sent it to me - her whole family are addicts). When I first quit, I thought it was special in some way, and tried to find a reason for my troubles with alcohol. This "daily pondering" helps me remember that I'm NOT in fact special. There are a lot of us, and there are some pretty tried and true steps to take to get the alcohol monkey off your back. Dig in and hang around!

"But you don't understand!" we spluttered, trying to cover up. "I'm different! I've really got it rough!" We used these lines over and over in our active addiction, either trying to escape the consequences of our actions or avoid following the rules that applied to everyone else. We may have cried them at our first meeting. Perhaps we've even caught ourselves whining them recently.

So many of us feel different or unique. As addicts, we can use almost anything to alienate ourselves. But there's no excuse for missing out on recovery, nothing that can make us ineligible for the program- not a life-threatening illness, not poverty, not anything. There are thousands of addicts who have found recovery despite the real hardships they've faced. Through working the program, their spiritual awareness has grown, in spite of-or perhaps in response to those hardships.

Our individual circumstances and differences are irrelevant when it comes to recovery. By letting go of our uniqueness and surrendering to this simple way of life, we're bound to find that we feel a part of something. And feeling a part of something gives us the strength to walk through life, hardships and all.

Just for Today: I will let go of my uniqueness and embrace the principles of recovery I have in common with so many others. My hardships do not exclude me from recovery; rather, they draw me into it.

Happy SOBER Thursday,
              Pav
              Thanks...I think?

Comment

Howdy my aviary friends! I hope everyone is doing well today. I'm flying by - have to get some drawings out the door. I've read and appreciate all your words. G I so admire your willingness to just face the crap. That's what I didn't do - I drank instead to just numb and push it away. Thank you for your inspiring post!

LC, I was away this summer and didn't ever hear much about Andre, but it's nice that you keep tabs on him and that his story is still positive.

I want to quickly say that I am feeling really lucky and happy. Not every day is perfect, but generally, I am happy and like my life. I get to appreciate all the good things so much more without alcohol. And I can deal with them easier. It's good not drinking
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                  I'm just another fella getting sober, but as a serial relapser i have found that i need to STOP! and SLOW DOWN. I'm a serial rusher too. Like i'm on speed or something. Rushing here and there, ultimately wasting a lot of energy that i need for my inner self to stay calm, balanced and resilient. The way i'm dealing with my constant rushing in frenzied circles is to breathe. I breathe every morning. Part of my daily morning practice of self care. The purpose is i'm trying to instill some sort of discipline and awareness of self in me to carry through each day and moment. After 150 days of doing this, i believe it is helping. I don't know if it will keep me sober, and it's no magic wand, but my thinking is if i address my inner self/balance and set up an oasis there inside, i've got a chance. Stress and distress are way overrated! :happy2:
                  As I was listening to one of my Buddhism podcasts this morning, Mr G, I ran across one that I think might appeal to you: 49 - "Addiction & Recovery" - A discussion with Noah Levine by Secular Buddhism | Free Listening on SoundCloud. That lead me to the Refuge Recovery websites and podcasts (Podcasts | Refuge Recovery, Addiction - Against the Stream) and... to the very cool information that there is a Refuge Recovery group in your city on FaceBook and better yet, in REAL LIFE!

I just picked up the Refuge Recovery book at the library and will let you know how it goes :smile:
                  Last edited by NoSugar; February 1, 2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CER View Post
                    Thanks...I think?
                    Hi CER. How are you going there? Hope you're doing ok. What i take from Pavati's post to you is this: We are not alone. We don't have to do this on our own. There are plenty of us out there, and many have forged and cleared the way ahead to get and stay sober. Another important thing i reckon is connection. Getting and staying connected with a community. Well, you've got us now. This sober community right here! Stay connected friend. :happy2:

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                    As I was listening to one of my Buddhism podcasts this morning, Mr G, I ran across one that I think might appeal to you: 49 - "Addiction & Recovery" - A discussion with Noah Levine by Secular Buddhism | Free Listening on SoundCloud. That lead me to the Refuge Recovery websites and podcasts (Podcasts | Refuge Recovery, Addiction - Against the Stream) and... to the very cool information that there is a Refuge Recovery group in your city on FaceBook and better yet, in REAL LIFE!

I just picked up the Refuge Recovery book at the library and will let you know how it goes :smile:
                    Thanks Sugar babe! Yep, i know of Noah and refuge recovery. But i didn't know there was a group here in my town. I'll check it out. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book.

Nesters, i've been thinking. My way forward is really all or nothing. The only alternative for me to life and living is.........back to drinking. That could be a slapdash chaotic attempt at moderation, and/or the inevitable increase in consumption back to previous dangerous levels. Not interested in that path, so my other alternative is to live. Now if i'm gonna be living sober, without booze, with more energy, clearer thinking, better internal balance, better appearance and attitude, then i might as well fkn go for it! Go for it as in - go for those crazy seemingly unreachable dreams. Might as well live fully with no shame, dance like no one's watching style. Right on Mr. Hayes.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Nesters!

Late check in for me and I'm beat with a capital B! Our dinner tonight went really well and I had so much energy, my mind was functioning clearly and I was able to do exactly what I needed to do. We don't do so many of these special events and normally we all begin drinking sometime during.. the others not much, just to "taste" the champagne and that's all they do. Tonight it was so nice to say, No thanks. We had some yummy af alternatives.. and I'm happy to say that it seems to be getting a bit trendy here. Normally I'm not into trendy, but when it has to do with people not drinking alcohol.. awesome!

Yes, I'm also feeling really happy and ok with how things are.

G-man, some very thoughtful posts.. yes, fkn go for it! Let me know what you think if you end up going to the RR meeting in your town. I'm going to try the one here again this Sunday. Figure it can't do any harm and the guy who's leading it has been at it for some time.

Time for bed here..
                      Wishing everyone a happy sober MAE!

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                        Our dinner tonight went really well and I had so much energy, my mind was functioning clearly and I was able to do exactly what I needed to do. Tonight it was so nice to say, No thanks.

Yes, I'm also feeling really happy and ok with how things are.
                        Right there in your words LC. Magic seems to happen when we remove booze and our senses are alive (as intended).

I'm in no great hurry to attend an RR meet, as i try to have a buddhist perspective anyway, but i'll check it out and actually it would be interesting either way. I should go along even if just out of support for a new positive sober living group. Have a beaut sleep.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hello everyone. Just checking in.
                          CER- you are not alone. We all have our own story with the common thread of AL running through. Keep coming back, we are all in this together.

G Man hurry up and stay sober!
                          NS, thanks for the links. I love listening to podcasts.

Hello- Ken and Life.

Gotta go, I am at work. I am walking home soon...-19C here. Brrrrrrr

xo
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Quick fly by for me tonight. I’m watching my grandsons & one was sent home from school sick. ‘Tis the season for viruses

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening Nest,

Remember this when your anxiety hits the roof...

Take a deep breath. Think about the situation or better yet, write out the situation. Is it tragic or is it a normal everyday problem, or a big bump in the road on our journey that every human being probably deals with? More than likely, it's the latter. Take that situation and be thankful it's not a tragedy or a catastrophe. Think about it as something you've probably handled in life before. Problems will always come and will always go. Ride it out, take deep breaths, use your tools, and be grateful for those tools, which most importantly include all the people here and their great pearls of wisdom. Remember that toxic thoughts lead to toxic feelings and then toxic behaviors. In our case, those toxic behaviors result in toxic substances.

For me, I have to begin to take the thoughts in my head and not magnify them by 10,000x. That's what I do. Sure, some of the problems are more serious than others, some are more personal and hurt more than others, but if I step back and look at these problems being outside of myself, maybe something I can look at from a slight distance, I won't internalize them and let them mestastasize in my brain. If I continue to let these cancerous thoughts grow, I eventually will drink. F-that. Let that shit go.

Jvo

Comment

All good from the road. Hope everyone has a peaceful evening.
                                Wonderful quote, Pav, thanks for that perspective! Byrdie
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X