Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I really appreciate the kind words, It is sort of like being in high school (no disrespect to high schoolers).
    Thank you, Crusader, for that lovely quote. No truer words. Adulthood doesnt entitle us to wisdom.
    G, Im beginning to think you are right, I just MAY be in the wrong line of work, I love sales, but this job is killing me. Everywhere I turn, there are problems! While Im not always at fault, everyone is willing to blame SALES. Sales ordered the wrong thing, Sales over promised, Sales didnt charge enough. You just wouldnt believe how little inofrmation I have to work with, yet have to get quotes out. Then everyone gets bent out of shape if something else is needed. Where were THEY when I was trying to get the information?
    Sorry to vent, but Pav gave me a free pass so I feel obligued to use it. I am happy to say that I have truly learned coping skills. 8 years ago, Id have been drinking AT all this....thinking it was helping me cope. What a trap THAT turned out to be.
    We are thinking of remodeling the kitchen. We have visited 3 businessness who promised to get us quotes. They told me it would be a couple days, and it was. I break my neck to get quotes out the same day, maybe part of the problem is me?! I dont think Ive ever won or lost a deal by not getting the quote out the same day. Maybe I should cut myself some slack.
    Good to see everyone hanging in! Hugs to all, Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Byrdie, you definitely should cut yourself some slack & bake more cookies
      Your cookies & cakes would sell themselves, honestly.

Well we started with about 4 hrs of snow today then it turned into an ice storm for 4 hrs. Now it's snowing again & not supposed to stop until midnight tomorrow night. WHATT? That's crazy & it's the first day of spring! My chickens stepped outside for about 5 minutes this morning & then they ran right back into their house. Oh boy, this is going to be a long drawn out affair.

Kensho, it was suggested to me many years ago that perhaps I had a leaky gut. I think I already knew I did but wasn't quite sure how to handle it so I did a ton of research. There's a lot of good info online these days. Eliminating the things that were causing me such a harsh inflammatory response was the key. For me #1 was AL, #2 was dairy. After the food sensitivities testing I found a bunch more things to eliminate. Some things were a real surprise because I had eaten them all my life - didn't know they were contributing to the problem. You'll get it worked out, it takes time to adjust to eating a new way so be patient.

Crusader, I've always had a hyperactive immune system, I understand your concern. For instance when my husband gets a case of poison ivy (we have a lot of it around here) he gets a rash & it goes away in a day or two. I get in contact with poison ivy & I end up looking like I was severely burned, have to take steroids, the whole bit. I don't know what we can do but try to stay away from our allergen triggers.

Hi there G, LC, wags, Pav, Belle & everyone.
      Have a safe night in the nest one & all.

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

morning nesters

not a lot to report here, i could have had a nice long sleep in if it wasnt for work. I have my 3 month review today and of course thinking of the worst scenarios but really at the end of the day i cant think of any and im positive i will still have a job when i post on the nest later.

Poppy is walking like a trooper, i would highly recommend acupuncture for pooches. i was nearly to the stage of thinking i would have to put her down as she was in a lot of pain but now she is chasing her ball and even wanted to get up on my bed for snuggles yesterday. i can see how much happier she is in herself now though she doesnt like the meds she is on but thats a minor issue, she has them or she has them! Her last visit is tomorrow and then maintenance, i am going to take the vet a lovely bunch of flowers and a big hug from me. So now i have two pretty healthy fur babies for the time being.

I am having lunch with my daughter also tomorrow which will be lovely, its hard to catch up when everyone works and has their own life but thats the joy of adult children and they always need their mum at some stage. My eldest has her first day back at work after her appendix op so she is as fit as a fiddle now.

Pav i hope you are feeling better or more human. It is cooling down here in the mornings so winter is coming!. slowly will be nice.

off to a meeting now.

Take care and happy holidays Kensho.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi everybody...Us mid Atlantic east coasters are gonna get walloped by the snow storm. I'm sort of in the same boat with you Lav...looks like the snow won't stop until tomorrow night. School closing was just announced for tomorrow...but we all knew that would be the case. I am betting we are done with school for the week...and will roll right into spring break. Because that is the way it works around here.

Happy to be home, cosy and not drinking. In a little bit, Daughter and I are going to get into bed with the laptop and watch the movie LadyBird. In my drinking days, I would either fall asleep almost as soon as the movie began or if I did manage to stay awake, I would hardly remember any of the movie the next day. Which would be quite embarrassing if someone wanted to talk about the movie.

Ava, I might look into acupuncture for my little old lady puggy. she is still a happy girl, but definitely has trouble getting around these days. She is on a couple of medications which do help some. We tried cold laser on her joints, but that did not do a whole lot for her. I do not think our vet does acupuncture, but perhaps could recommend someone.

Take care everyone...Lav, Byrdie, Kensho, Ava, LC, G-man, Crusader, Wags, and everyone else out there in AF land!
          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Happy at Tuesday. Many times it's the lack of something I'm grateful. The hangover, the embarassment, the wishing I hadn't had that first drink.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hi everyone
              Leaving to Morocco tomorrow on a 12-day road trip with my daughter, through Fez, Meknes, Chefchaouen, the Atlas Mountains, Marrakesh and Essaouira. So excited and glad to get a break from all the worries, stress and freezing cold weather. I really feel for you east coasters. Where's spring?
              Oh, late last night I get an email that my flight has been cancelled due to air controller strikes(French!). Fortunately I was even headed and able to re-organise the whole trip immediately without freaking out! If I had been drinking, that would not have happened.

Don't think I'll be very connected so you probably won't hear from me but I'll be drinking lots of mint tea.
              Hold up the fort everyone!
              Go as far as you can see.
              When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

I was talking with a couple of east coast of the U.S. clients yesterday (NY and NC) and they both said rough weather was slamming their areas again (NY getting up to 15 inches of snow?). I hope our eastern U.S. nesters are hunkered down if necessary. Please pull over a few extra twigs and bits of fluff from the nest - we've got some to spare so you all can stay safe and warm (and AF!).

Mywayin - I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Byrdie - would looking for a new job be something you'd care to do? Am I remembering right that this gig is relatively new to you (maybe in the last year or two?)? Ugh - it's good that you love sales or you probably would have been out a long time ago. Sorry to hear you and your colleagues bear the brunt, although it sounds like some of the challenges for you come FROM those colleagues. Good thing you don't drink!

Pav - how did yesterday go? How are you feeling today?

Crusader - Great quote! Yep, the status of being an adult brings no guarantees. I hope you're able to find some answers for your health issues soon, whether it's through your own investigative work or the help of a dr.

Nar - hope all is well in Mexico. Please bring sunshine back to all the nesters still stuck in the throes of winter

Ava - so glad to hear your daughter and your pup are both doing well after their respective surgery and acupuncture. We'll take all the good days we can, right? I am betting that your 3-month review went well, and I look forward to hearing about it.

Over here in Wagland, I woke up mentally fatigued this morning - yesterday was a brutal day of work that didn't end until after 8pm. It always takes me a few hours to come back down after ramping myself up to teach and be "on stage" (albeit online) in the evening. I'd rather get up and teach at 5 or 6am than teach at 8pm, but them's the breaks and I'll take the work right now as it's helping me build my business and at least I didn't have to drive to and from that late evening class like I used to have to do. Today will be a bit easier, and I'll be done by about 3pm - yay!

I couldn't do any of this if I were drinking. Good thing I'm not!

Waves and hellos to Kensho, LC, G, Lav, and everyone else stopping by today.
                Last edited by wagmor; March 22, 2018, 09:43 AM.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Thanks for the well wishes. Work was ok - I am pretty tired and I cut out early. Slow and steady is my motto this week. My partner is picking up the slack big time. I'm going to have to do something nice for her... The personnel situation is as good as it could be. They guy is acting very professionally and that is setting the tone for his friends and the whole staff. There will still be repercussions, and it is still a little tense, but we'll survive.

Belle - the number of movies I don't really remember... Isn't it nice to see one clearly all the way through?

Ava - glad for your fur babies. I never thought acupuncture would work - and it can't even be the placebo effect because she has no idea what just happened to her. What an amazing story.

All you US east coasters hunker down and stay warm and cozy.

Happy sober Hump Day,

Pav

Comment

Morning Nesters.

A quick check in for day 34. It's gone from snow to rain here now. I was up at 3:45 not feeling well. I've been doing more research and scanning over some past areas I've noted changes in my health, and I'm thinking I may be experiencing gallbladder issues. It can be my liver as well. Today, I will start a very no or low fat diet and be very mindful of what I am eating. I'll be losing my cook boyfriend who loves to make things that won't fit this new diet like a can of tuna in water. I'll have to see a doctor, but I've been trying out a few things for the last couple days and now will restrict my diet. I'll have that information to share with the doctor when I get my appointment. I'll know if certain things offer relief, etc. before I go in to help with a diagnosis and point for her to focus testing toward. Just when I get my jaw and mouth healed to eat good foods, I'm back to not being able to eat. No one said life was fair.

Lav, you and I sound similar in our health issues. I had a leaky gut as well. That along with some other issues made me really ill years back. I was on deaths door before I could walk again it got so bad. I wasn't drinking when the issue occurred, but had in previous years. It's a long story, but we have quite a few things in common. Back when I was sick with those issues, they didn't know what they know now. There were no gluten free or specialty milks, etc. Today, it is much easier for people to buy products and avoid the food that give them issues. I even saw garbanzo bean chips one day. I thought where was all this stuff when I was making it all from scratch in my kitchen trying to save my life. If a leaky gut is left to get worse, the body will start becoming sensitized to all kinds of foods and such. It becomes a very hard place to come back from. Amazing after all that, I went back into drinking to numb out from pain. We have to care what happens to us or we become our own worst enemy.

Thank you, Wags.

Glad you are feeling better, Pav.

All you vacationers enjoy yourselves and take every minute in sober. You experience so much more with all your senses and appreciation without the alcohol. Be thankful for your health. It is a precious gift. We take it for granted so often until we lose it.

Bryd, change can be scary, but I've been thinking like G regarding your job. It's troubling watching you endure so much stress, but only you can decide what is right for you. In my past I've been afraid to make changes and they have turned out to be wonderful decisions. Keep the attitude, failure is not an option and do what is right for you. Big hugs.

Love and hugs to all.
                    Last edited by Crusader; March 21, 2018, 09:37 AM.
                    The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

morning nesters

Myway have a lovely trip and remember no drinking, walk away from temptation and keep occupied. al has a funny way of meandering into situations where we think we are safe and secure.

Pav, glad you are feeling a lot better and work is evening itself out. My horrible job is just a distant memory though i still run into the village idiots in the hallways of the hospital. The vet said the same thing Pav about poppy, she cant talk or pretend so its obviously working.

Wags, you sound like a morning person like me. i now start at 6am and finish at 2.30ish. its part of my terms on working and i cut over 40 minutes each way in peak hour driving. Today i am working from home as i set it all up a month ago and i am taking poppy to the vets and seeing my daughter. not sure much work will be fitted in as i really need a nap in there too.

My 3 month review went really well. it is so nice to be told i am a valued member and am doing a fantastic job. The prof asked me if i liked this job better than my last and i said there were no words to describe how i now felt as i thanked him from for giving me this opportunity.

I know that i never ever ever ever would have been given this opportunity if i had been drinking and i never would have the SO or the life i have now. I sometimes think i am the luckiest person in the world to be given all of this. I remember going to work in my drinking career and i could not even hold a piece of paper without my hand shaking uncontrollably. Yesterday i had MWO open and my boss quickly used my computer and saw this forum. She said nothing and neither did i but i am not embarrassed about what she saw, i am human, i have a past and i have a brilliant future. Who knows where i may be in 10 years time (retired hopefully), CEO of the Alfred Hospital ha ha!

Take care and hi to everyone. xx
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I know that i never ever ever ever would have been given this opportunity if i had been drinking and i never would have the SO or the life i have now. I sometimes think i am the luckiest person in the world to be given all of this.
                        You deserve and earned all of it, [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION]. Your transformation has been beautiful and inspiring. I'm so happy for you and proud to be your friend. xx, NS

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

YES, it is snowing in Lav-land, just as predicted. Measured 6" at 6 pm & it's going to keep snowing so who knows how much we will get. The nice neighbor 'kid' came over & plowed our driveway. Grateful for good neighbors especially when you live in the middle of cow land

I just read thru all the posts & thought wow - I'm seeing a whole lot of good things happening in the nest & a lot of gratitude! That is just wonderful.

Ava, congrats on you good review, good for you.

Crusader, it sounds like we have both experienced some pretty severe gut issues. I had my first episode of gall bladder issues right after my son was born (common time for that to happen). I immediately turned to a low fat diet & it helped immensely. I still eat low fat now & restrict a lot of foods that I know cause me grief. But I feel pretty good so I'm not complaining. Hope you feel better very soon

mywayin, a trip to Morocco, wow! I wish you safe travels & a great time.

I live about halfway between Philadelphia & Baltimore & all of the airports are cancelling flights. It's is going to take a while to clean up all this snow mess.
                          Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All--

Well, if this is still March coming in like a lion, maybe we're all ready for the lamb? Stay safe, East Coasters!

Ava - I agree with NoSugar. Obviously the Available that we know and love was in there even when you were drinking - it is just amazing that she's able to be front and center now, with alcohol out of the way. Congratulations on your good review - not surprised here at all!

"Leaky gut" sounds pretty awful. Hope you feel better soon, Crusader.

I'm feeling better SLOWLY... Such a weird thing, this illness - I've never had anything like it. I'm ready to feel better as I haven't been exercising at all. Those of you who know me, know that's a recipe for a tense Pav...

Morocco sounds amazing. Have a great trip, MyWayIn!

Wags - Glad you're getting the work you need. I'm better in the morning, too, but often find myself working at nights.

I have had to draw some boundaries with my family lately. Everyone wants to get together all of the time, and both my and my husband's families live close. I love them and we have fun, but I also love my many friends, and sometimes my friendships suffer because I don't have enough time to cultivate them. I had to say no THIS weekend because I'm just overbooked. My family tries the guilt trip - I have to say it sort of worked. However, not perfectly! I'm blaming my illness for my lack of resolve. Maybe I'll just have to cancel one of the things they have planned...

Ok, onward. Today should be an easy day - but I just jinxed myself.

Take good care of yourselves, Nest.

Pav

Comment

Happy grey and snowy afternoon, Nesters!

though nothing like some of you have had..
                              Lav, I didn't realize you live so close to that big ol' ocean.... ahhh. but now it makes more sense with regards to storms you're so often hoping to dodge. and Byrdie, where approx are you? I sure hope it all clears up for you soon.. Do you often have a snowy Easter? We had that a few years ago and it wasn't so much fun..not with the easter egg hunt, at least..

Crusader, I hope you'll be feeling much better after tweaking your diet.. it sounds like you've researched a lot and have already had quite a bit of experience with it. We know it's definitely helping to keep alcohol out of the picture!:hug:

Pav, glad you're on the mend.. I hope you're planning to get at least a short hike in some time soon. I just started exercising again and it's been soooooo HARD to begin at ground zero..(never going to do that again!).. but after less than a week my mood has improved 80 fold so I hear you loud and clear with regards to that.. and here's to boundaries as well..

Ava, I knew you would rock that 3 month review (as all of us here did!).. I'm very happy for you and love hearing about how much better your life is now. Like Pav said, she was in there the whole time.. but now she's out and shining.

Wags, I'm the same.. no problem getting up at 5am if I need to work.. but even 4 or 5pm gets me down... at 8pm I'm getting ready to brush my teeth! ha.. but as you said, good to have the work.

So I know a lot of you were talking about apple cider vinegar a while ago.. I had tried to drink it a few times but always found it extremely difficult, mostly due to some terrible childhood vinegar memories. On Monday some guys at work came into the kitchen asking for it for a project and I started going on about all the benefits of drinking it.. low and behold they were game. Each morning at 10:30 they come up and 6 of us do shots (the group has grown 1 person per day).. we keep it cold in the fridge and it's not that bad. AND I swear I'm already noticing a difference in my skin and in my energy level (also due to exercise, both things).. but it's also got me off coffee. I'm honestly looking forward to it each day..
                              I'd like to know what benefits any of you have had.. I've read a lot about it helping with joint pain (which my Mom said helped her), lowering blood sugar, etc. etc.. it seems to be a cure-all.. Let's see.

Big hugs to everyone stopping in or flying by today.. Just one more day till Friday..
                              xx
                              Last edited by lifechange; March 22, 2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Afternoon Nesters...Day 35.

I'm late posting today because this morning was busy with working on health issues. It's day two of no or very low fat diet, and I sent my boyfriend to the store today to get fruits, veggies, beans and low fat meat choices. (Absolutely no dairy or processed foods!) Month two was planned for adding in a good exercise routine, but I'm so fatigued and unwell, that is being put off for a bit. This month will be concentrating on detoxifying foods that are good for me, the liver and helpful in gallbladder issues. I have quite a few symptoms, but the pain in the upper right quadrant is what has me concentrating on the gallbladder and liver more than digestive alone. Fingers crossed my 'better care' treatments work at resolving the problems. I'm mindful I will have to see a doctor soon if things don't start changing. This morning I added in a heat and oil treatment called a 'Castor Oil Pack', but I couldn't find my castor oil I've had for years, so used coconut oil instead. The supermarket doesn't have it either, so I'll order it offline. Many years ago, I did a 'flush' which was a horrible experience to go through, but I did feel better a few days after. I don't recommend the full version flush. It's harsh. This time around with this pain, I think I will leave that out. It can cause a blockage in the bile duct if it is a large stone. Granted, right now, I'm not sure what the cause is for all these symptoms, but they definitely fit liver and gallbladder symptoms fully. Still a stay tuned situation. I'd like to get through the weekend to see if there is any change and if not, I'll call the doc. Monday. I can at least inform her of what I tried that worked or didn't work. Thank you for all the nice thoughts.

Pav, it may be referenced as permeable gut or such as well. It used to be controversial, but now they are more up on this being a problem for people. I hope you are back on your feet soon. Don't let all those guilt trips get to you. I think we all have dealt with those demands put out by others. It's not selfish to make sure you are healthy. Of course, I didn't take my own advice, but I'm giving it out. lol

Ava, that's great you have this behind you and can move forward knowing your work situation is secure. It's so much easier to tolerate work situations when you aren't dealing with other people being nasty for whatever reason.

Wags and mywayout, enjoy your trips.

LC, when I was updating my knowledge on my health, I saw ACV mentioned as helpful for liver/gallbladder issues. I've thought about it, but in the past haven't been able to handle it, which may be different now. I don't want to try too many changes at once, but I've known people who have used it with success with various issues. My step mom used during and after her lung cancer treatments. It helped her with the phlegm. She carried a bottle with her everywhere. I like your idea of sharing it with a shot every morning around the water cooler. Nice!!

Lav, did you ever have gallstones or was your gallbladder issue due to inflammation or malfunction?

A wave to everyone. I haven't read closely, so apologies if I missed someone.

Love and hugs. Do yourself a favor and love yourself enough to take care of your precious body.
                                Last edited by Crusader; March 22, 2018, 05:25 PM.
                                The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Working...
                                X