Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hello Rava, thanks for checking in.

Pav, I am in the oil and gas industry and it is very cyclical. It’s hard to get a job that lasts more than a couple of years especially in my area which is Supply Chain.
    In the mountains with NO email? Wow, that is going to be so good for you. I know you will enjoy it so much xo

Ken, I know you will figure this out, we are here for you.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

A week away in the woods sounds awesome PAV! I find that pulling the plugs for a week in nature is very healing.... Excited for you! I guess I shouldn't judge jobs away from home to be easier - I know that you and many others experience just as much stress at your workplaces. Any job can feel too big. It is also the perfectionism playing a huge part. It seems to be a theme with alcoholics.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
        And in-between, about 20% of the time, I get to do the creative stuff that seems to make it all worth it...
        Then I would embrace the other parts of my life more. (but I would make less $$) OR I could get a regular job and leave both the work and the responsibility at the office when I come home - let me tell you how good that sounds right now!... I either need help, or need to take on less. I'll ponder.
        We're listening but you're the one with the wisdom to know what you need to do, [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION]. There is nothing wrong with adjusting your 'life goals' and in fact, it makes sense to do just that as your life changes. It is easy to start chasing a dream and never stop to ask if that is even your dream anymore. But how much better to be asking yourself these questions now rather than 25 years from now when you've really "made it" and realize the price may have been too high. And if you still are passionate about the original goal, then by all means hire people to do the parts of the job that don't bring you that sense of achievement that makes the whole business worthwhile. The lack of stress and resentment is more than worth the cost in $$. You'll figure it out. xx

Comment

Hola Nesters!

Hiya Rava!

Kensho. As a guy who doesn't yet have a family but wants one, i think you've made a great choice in having a family. I think this is one of the most beautiful things there is in this world. This is obvious but for me, my career would be secondary to family despite our passions and desires to create and develop as individuals. I haven't always thought this way. My music career has always ruthlessly come first, which is probably why i am single. I've had many opportunities to settle down and have a family. Now, i feel ready and i want it. That's another story. You are perfect as you are. Just a little tweak with the work stuff. :thumbsup:

Sadhana done. Off for some exercise and a run on the wild windy beach where my heart is always warm.
          Last edited by Guitarista; June 14, 2018, 04:33 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Home at last. I absolutely couldnt have done another day of that show if my life depended on it. My feet, knees and back are killing me. I had to RUN (Im 58 years old!] to make my connection in Chalotte. It was hideously stressful. I hate flying.
            Congrats on the new job, G!
            Im going to bed. Hugs to all, thakful to be sober! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Welcome home Byrdie & get some rest woman!!!!

Hi Rava, how are you?

I think it's true in that most of us have a serious history of being people pleasers. Nothing leads to more frustration than working your a$$ off to please others & they still complain & want more
              I'm lucky in that I am long done with that phase of my life, it damn near killed me. If you are still in a situation where you feel you MUST please others - put yourself first in line! Do what is right & comfortable for you, everyone else comes after. No one will drop dead if they have to wait an extra day or two for a call or contract or some item, right?

We had a gorgeous day here in Lav-land, just right actually.
              It's hard to believe that 2 tornadoes touched down in northern PA last night. We never had a drop of rain or anything.
              Wishing everyone a peaceful & safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Fly by check-in for me tonight. Glad to see so many people stopping by and posting. Love it when the nest is a flurry of activity

Kensho - I think I understand a lot of what you've been saying. I own my own business as well and have clients who have high expectations and deadlines of their own. If I'm late with something it can have a domino effect. It sounds like you're mulling over some good things though, and you sound solid in your resolve to not drink. Going for a run was a fantastic idea. Breathe, and keep coming back here.

Pav - Hope you have a wonderful week in the mountains with no electricity or email. Sounds awesome!

Byrdie - glad you're home. Too bad you aren't really a byrdlady or you could've flown through the airport (or all the way home for that matter)!

Lav - hope your pup is ok. Please keep us posted.

Hellos to NS, LC, G-man, Ava, Nar, Rava, and everyone else stopping by today/tonight. It's almost the freakin' weekend!
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Long day here, three performances for my son and a whirlwind. But thanks to you all, I'm going to go read my book instead of staying up late to bill. I will shuffle things tomorrow and work on that then. It will wait - I want to chill with my book. Thanks for all the reminders.

Byrdie, glad you're home! Are you still making cakes?

You're a poet G. I'd love to hear that music - I'll bet its great!

Wagmore, yes, breathe. I forget sometimes! Literally!

LAV, tornados in PA? Is that the norm there? Sounds unusual. Glad you're safe!

NS, the problem is that I want it all, and like a spoiled little girl, I'm trying to figure out how to get it. The reality is that I don't need to red-line everything to feel the pleasure and success and growth from life, and I know there's a special kind of enlightenment that comes with embracing the negative space.

Have a good night!
                  Last edited by KENSHO; June 14, 2018, 11:43 PM.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Nothing big to report. Just checking in. Glad to see you all here.

Pav

Comment

Thinking about how to re-define success here. Have a good, sober, day everyone. :happy2:
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Morning!
                        I had my tire fixed this morning at 8am, it was so cool Because when I was drinking there is NO way I would have got up that early to fix my tire. Or I would have been hung over waiting for it to get fixed and then would go right back to bed when I got home.

Grateful to be Un Hung!

Have a great Friday everyone.
                        Don’t drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Kensho, I havent made a cake since my neice’s wedding cake. All I do is work!
                          Well, that is most of the story, the other part is that Ive put on about 3 pounds and Im hesitant to have a cake in the house because Im trying to reduce. While I do usually give the cakes away, there are always the Cook’s pieces that make it to my butt! It is relaxing, I need to get back to baking. Not tomorrow, tho, I need to work. I have to hit the road on Monday for an overnight again. Gads.
                          I flew thru Charlotte last night, got home around 6. I understamd that around 9, a computer glitch grounded ALL American Airlines flights for hours! It showed all those people sleeping on the floor and luggage everywhere. I feel very fortunate that I didnt get stuck in that mess. I would have cried!
                          Hang in. Everyone! Maintaining a quit is 1000 times easier than another Day 1. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Lucky to have had another really nice day here. Temps & humidity start building back in Sunday I hear, oh well.
                            My dog seems just fine, awaiting bloodwork results. Keeping my fingers crossed, believe me. We are heading to a memorial service tomorrow for a 62 year old, the daughter of our former neighbors. This is very hard on her 86 year old parents. I won't say much but I will encourage everyone to take care of themselves now. Ignoring major health issues doesn't make them go away. The human body can only take so much, denial is deadly

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning Nesters! Day 1 for me. I keep coming back determined to do this. The witching hour is my downfall. So this morning I am up early planning activities to stay busy from 5 - 8 pm. I know its time to get serious before my bad habits become too routine to stop. Thanks for being here and supporting me. I am sick of Day 1’s.

Comment

Hi everyone. Day 26 today and all is going well. Don't really have much desire to drink but have had some some moments when I thought a beer would settle me or would be a refreshing reward & taste mighty good. Especially when someone walks in front of me with one at work. But they were just clouds that floated into my brain and vanished when I observed them. Feels like I am able to choose more freely now not to, in regards to AL b/c I know where it will eventually lead. Hope my mindset holds on this. ~ Take care everyone & have a great weekend ~AF of course ~ hyper

Comment

Working...
                                X