Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Great work on 26 Hypernova! Keep it going. I found that I always knew where it would lead - I just ignored it at times or got especially "hopeful" that it might be different. Once I crossed that line to the understanding that alcohol would never bring me happiness, it all became so much easier.

Glad your weather is peaceful Lav!

I had a nice paddle board adventure on our reservoir earlier this afternoon. I ran the 2.5 miles to the lake and my husband met me with the SUP, inflated it and I got to paddle around while he ran an errand for about an hour. It was relaxing. Earlier this am we attended my son's swim meet - 4 hours in the sun. Needless to say, I'm tired!

My family is coming over tonight for a BBQ - some characters I haven't seen in awhile and haven't always been thrilled to be around. Many of them are heavier drinkers. Going in with a positive mindset - and NO desire to drink. I DO know where it leads. Instead, I might splurge for an IZZY. But I'l tell you what - I really can't wait for bed. I'm beat!

Have a good night everyone!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

morning nesters

Well its raining cats and dogs here today and of course i put off going shopping yesterday as i wanted a nothing day. now i will get blown away and drenched but thats life. nothing like a brisk day out in the cold.

loved your story Nar on getting up to get a tire fixed. oh i so remember those days of not being able to function in the mornings at all but i did manage to get out so i could buy more wine later in the day. im so glad those days are gone also.

I hope your fur baby is ok now Lav, my other girl is still very very sad and wont let me out of her sight. lots of love and cuddles for her.

Hyper great work on 26 days, its great to accept that you cant drink as much as you may want to. the consequences are not worth it.

have a great bbq kensho.

take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Nice day but we did have a memorial service to attend. It was OK but I feel sad for the 86 year old parents of the deceased, they looked beat.

Rava, great on your day 1, make tomorrow day 2

Hi there Hypernova, you sound good & congrats on your 26 AF days, soon to be 30 - a whole month! Stay determined, stick close to the nest.

Kensho, you really had a full day. I hope your guests aren't too problematic. I hate it when people behave badly, ha ha!!

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning, Nesters.
          Checking in. I tell you, stress is a bear. It would be really easy to say I dont have time to come here and write a note. If I hadnt seen this scenario 1000 times I wouldnt believe it. A nester racks up terrific time and thinks he/she is fine. Slacks off on the check ins. Stress adds up, life gets busy and the next thing you know, having a drink seems harmless enough. The rest is history. So I am here, practicing what I preach, sticking close to my support. .
          Thank you all for being my foundation!
          Happy Father’s Day, to those of the persuasion. Hope its a great day. Hugs to all, Byrdie
          Last edited by Byrdlady; June 17, 2018, 03:13 PM.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Nar and Ava - Like you (and probably many others), I've had multiple situations during my quit where I had to (or chose to) get up early and take care of some sort of business in the morning and had it hit me that I would never have been able to do such things while drinking. When I was at my worst, I would actually start drinking within hours of waking (sometimes by 8am!). It was horrible, and makes me sad in retrospect. Soooooooo glad to have that firmly in the past. When I'm tempted to drink (which is rare), I always chat with myself that a drink doesn't just bring the "fun" or other pseudo-positive things with it, but also all of the crap, and that by choosing to drink I am choosing to bring the crap back into my life. That always stops me short - I'm not willing to pay that price. Keep up the good work both of you are doing and thanks for sharing here.

Lav - sorry to hear about the memorial service. I think it's extra hard on parents who outlive their child, regardless of age. Glad you could go to help support them.

Hellos and waves to LC, Byrdie, Pav (who is off the grid in the mountains I think!), G, Rava, Kensho Hyper, and everyone else stopping by today.
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hiya. People came. I provided food and house. I was SO tired, I actually told my mom at 10:00 that I couldn't stay up any longer, and they left. I am just tapped - completely.

I didn't want to drink, and I found a wine bottle with about three swallows at the bottom in my fridge this morning (not our type of swallows, like about 3 tablespoons). I poured it out.

My step-sister was trying to have a conversation with me about how she's changed to Coors Light now - and I was not very responsive. I just sort of shook my head like "yah, ok" and moved on. I don't think she knows I don't drink.

Anyway, I know I'm a broken record with work and family pulls. I'm in the thick of it, and life feels hard right now. Double hard with the kids home for summer.
              Last edited by KENSHO; June 17, 2018, 05:26 PM.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

It's really heating up here in Lav-land, hot, hot, hot
                I remember dealing with this excessive heat & humidity with an eternal hangover. That was awful in so many ways, grateful I don't have to do that anymore.

Kensho, please, please put yourself on the top of the care list! You have to take care of you before you can take care of anyone or anything else. Do your kids have summer programs scheduled? I was always looking for them for my kids. I hated seeing them sitting at home all day. My granddaughter's school year doesn't end until this coming Tuesday & she will start a full time summer program Wednesday. When both parents are working full time during the day the kids have to go do something, right? I'm not entirely sure what my grandsons will be doing all summer but they will be spending Mondays with me as far as I know. I'm happy to have some company but glad when they go home too, ha ha! Get yourself as organized as you can so you have fewer rough days :hug:

Hello to Wags & Byrdie too! I hope you are both well & as stress free as possible

I bought a small, personal size watermelon today & sliced it up for the freezer or refrigerator. It's one of my methods of keeping my chickens cool during these heat waves - they love watermelon
                Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

hi Nesters!

I've been reading here almost every day but was so dead beat tired that I didn't write.. I know it's a mistake when I let too much time go by (thanks for the reminder just now, Byrdie!) because this Nest, you all, are my main source of support.

Kensho, you sure do have too much on your plate.. I liked Pav's idea about outsourcing some of the work.. I'm sure you've written lists and have tried to prioritize accordingly.. I wonder if it could help to have someone else help you with that? Like hiring some very organized "Coach" who you could sit with for a couple of hours? I find sometimes that if I'm looking at the same situation/problems for a long enough time, I can't see them clearly anymore, I lose my perspective.. if I invite someone else to come in and have a look, I can see it all in a new/different light. I definitely double what Lav said..please don't forget to take care of yourself. We can't forget that drinking will only make every thing 1000 times worse. I know you know that, but I've been reminding myself of it recently. Of how truly happy I am that I never have to drink again. Your run to the reservoir and paddling sounded so nice. Does your work load tend to slow down a bit during the summer? Do you have some sort of a vacation planned? :hug: and strength to you..

Congrats on the new job, G-Man! Great news.. is this a new team you're working with or same team/different job?

Congrats Hyper on now 28 days!!
                  and Rava on day 3!

Byrdie I had to laugh at your cake comment! That's exactly why I bake much less these days.. I definitely don't need any more Cook's corners ending up anywhere on my bod! Hope you're trip to Charolotte goes well and that you have a break some time soon!

Lav, I had to laugh at the watermelon story as well.. those sweet little chickens, of course they love watermelon! I've practically eaten my weight in watermelon already this summer. I told the girls I'm going to eat so much the next 2 months that I don't want to see it until next year.
                  Oh yes, I'm very sorry about the death of your neighbor.. so very sad for her parents..

Ava, I wanted to say something to you but I can't remember what. Mind like a sieve. I hope you got out and about without getting too wet. Loved your comment the other day about chocolate and tea helping to cure sadness/loss.. not alcohol. That only adds to it.

Nar, here's to being able to change tires at 8am.. good luck on the job hunt!
                  Wags and Pav!:hug: and Belle!
                  NS, so nice to hear you were thinking about me a lot the other day.. thank you for sharing that with me..:love:

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of what I wanted to say.. that's definitely the problem with not posting each day.
                  Sometimes it's hard to find the balance and I had such a busy week with work and the kids.. didn't really have any time to myself, to concentrate. Work is still super busy and will continue to be until the end of August.. but I do have a short hiking trip planned into that time.. and I'm sure I'll manage to find some other free time. Just not for a couple of weeks. ha!

ok lovely people.. see you tomorrow.. xx
                  Last edited by lifechange; June 18, 2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

morning nesters

Well i enjoyed walking out to ice covering my car this morning, winter is here. my poor old car does not like winter at all.

Lav i saw on FB last night about freezing corn in patty cake tins with water for chickens. thought that was a clever idea like your water melon. We all love your chickens. So sad about the parents and their child. no matter what age our children are always our babies.

LC i did manage to get a carpark right outside ALDI so that was a win and i didnt get wet, at least the rain has eased off.

Wags, after your post i thought to myself that there is no way i would have been given a promotion or been able to start work at 6am if i had been drinking. Even though i cant remember what a hangover feels like, i do know it was not pleasant at all and just sucked the life out of me until that next drink of course.

I had better start doing some work and face the day. i've taken on helping a co-worker for a short while so that and my work is keeping me busy but i wont overload myself now, i am the priority, the rest can wait.

take care x
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hola nesters,

Hi LC. Yep, same team and site, just different role. I'm in the thick of it and loving it. Mind you, i couldn't do it 5 days a week, too tiring. 2 days a week is perfect for me. regular days, and now i know my income and where i'll be every week. Suits me for now. I was just thinking out of left field......sheesh, anything could happen with me in the future really. It's so cool. Er, e.g. if my romantic laison with my friend in Brazil ends up a small family! Who knows. We did talk about it before we actually met........soon find out. :eek-new: Of course, i would be ecstatic.

Kensho, take care of yourself. Like LC, you are too much of an incredible force of nature to be lost under a pile of overwork!

Speaking of work. Sheesh, i'm on my 4th day straight. Plenty for me.

Big waves to everyone. Take it easy out there.

xpost. G'day Ava. Have a great day.
                      Last edited by Guitarista; June 18, 2018, 03:36 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hey all. Woke up with a raging sore throat. Ugg! Made it to Charlotte, had 2 conference calls here at the hotel. Im beat.
                        I have a meeting in the morning, then heading home.
                        I am so grateful to be sober, lots going on at the moment, no way I could be dealing with it all if I were juggling addiction, too. Wags, I started drinking at 10:30 on weekends, why? Because thats as long as ia could hold out. Those werent the days, I wasnt even driving on weekends there at the end.
                        Im going to bed and its not even 7! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Nesters. I am just starting to read these threads . This is a great group of understanding people. [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION] hope you feel better tomorrow. I am just checking in as a newbie trying to stay sober and accountable.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Stil terribly hot around here, summer officially begins Thursday, oh boy!
                            I had my grandsons here all day & they were happy enough to stay inside most of the day.

Ava, I have to find ways to keep my chickens cool when it gets this hot. I have had a few drop dead over the years during these intense heat spells.
                            I hope you are warm enough!

LC, good to see you & glad you found a few minutes to check in with us

Byrdie, get a good night's rest & take care.

G, glad things are working out for you with the job

Rava, keep checking in with us. Have you made a plan for yourself? Ask if you need help.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi Nest. Thank you for your thoughts. Love the idea of talking with a coach. There’s got to be a way I can manage my time better. It’s a really challenging field with so many moving parts that even the best struggle - BUT I can’t let it drive me to drink. It’s times like this that I have been flashing back on my drinking days - I would literally drink to numb the pain of feeing so stretched. It crossed my mind earlier today. But it fled then, because I’ve been there, done that. Not the life I want.

I DO hear what you all say, thank you for your thoughts. LAV, I usually push through hard times like now, and then take a few days to recoup. It’s the “now” part that’s tough. But I’m making my way through. Funny that your chickens like watermelon! I wouldn’t have though of it. Hydrating though.

Yes, vacations coming up LC - part of why the stress is hitting now because people don’t like when I go away because their projects stop, so they pile up the expectations.

Sleep tight Byrdie!

I think you may have the right idea about work G! 2 days sounds great to me! Maybe I can charge double and work half the time

Rava, where you at?
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning nesters. [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] sounds like you have a lot going on. You powered through without caving. That is so commendable. I feel like I used to be stronger and that I have gotten weaker in my older age. I am determined to get this right. I am staying on this website and remembering that I Dont Drink.

Comment

Working...
                                X