Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

We just had a huge thunder storm here with a tornado warning too. No tornado so I am grateful
    Still dealing with allergy symptoms though like many of you. Hi hum.

New Sunrise, I figure we're all pretty lucky to be here adding AF days & living life the way we should. I shudder to think where I might be now if I hadn't stopped when I did.
    Great job on your 30 AF days coming up shortly

Slo, I've read a few of Rick Hanson's books & listened to him on podcasts. Sign up for his newsletter, they're good too Dr. Rick Hanson's Just One Thing Newsletter: Sign Up!

NS, I can remember how disgusted I was with myself. Lying to myself & everyone else was a big part of it too. I just wanted to be free of all that & quitting was the only way out for me.
    Look at us now, how awesome are we?????

Pav, I'm so glad you stuck around to see that some of us oldies really were telling the truth. Life is definitely better without AL

Ava, 2000 days is nothing to sneeze at - good for you! I hope Carl loves his new coat.

Hi the Narilly, what's up with you?
    Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola evabody,

Get well soon NS!

30 days Sunrise? Wowza! You raawk.

Ava, gr8 job on the smokes. Yep, being kind to others in our situation has a lot of power when combined with some knowledge, useful info, and personal experience i reckon. Regards to Carl the adventurer.

Yo Wags! Thanks, yep i will be fine wit google translate and some basic espanol. I also love and much prefer to speak in the local lingo when i travel. I have a crack at least and i've found that can go a long way. As can a little tune on a geetar . Trip/flights almost booked. I've finally found a reasonably savvy and enthusiastic travel agent with a good work ethic! lol. (Katie raaawks!) We've agreed on a schedule. It includes a flight to Cusco from where i'll bus/train it to ........Machu Picchu. Wowza! And........I'm spending 10 days in Guayaquil Ecuador and have discovered there are numerous ferries to galapagos islands for $30, and accom for around $30-40 per night. Day tours and snorkelling starting from around $90, though i could alternatively rent a bike or go for a run to a beach and just dive in for free. So all of this thankfully looks very affordable, and i've got some bucks to spend after flights, insurance and accom. has been covered. Starting to get vibed now that flights are locked in!

Re personal inventories. I gotta say i feel my life is just beginning (again). Sure, the show reel has some cool moments, but i see there is sooooo much more living to do, and life, people, places to experience. My inward journey i feel is still new and requires a bit of attention, work, nurturing. I am one hell of an unsettled man, despite feeling good and reasonably balanced. There are some core needs that i am addressing. Such as......er, settling down for cryin out loud. I am keen to find and settle down with one woman and be a family. Pursuing my inner musical voice - tick! Have a job that means something to me and aligns with personal mission statement - tick! Partner, r...rr....re....rel.....er, Relationship - not yet!

If i kept buying them tickets to boozeville, not to mention the free passes (always for ONE) they'd send me once a month for being a frequent flyer, none, i say zero of this great stuff would be happening. None of it. Not my weekly gigs, my own music albums, my travel adventures. It wouldn't exist. What would exist is a red faced, puffy eyed, grumpy, depressed whinger. I know coz that's what i became. I still get grumpy but i'm working on that one.

Have a great weekend and do something you love, whether you are still boozing, day 1, or approaching day 2,000,000,000,000 like Ava and Pav. Better go lubricate the chainsaw in case i encounter ticket peddlers.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

ACTIVEWEAR - YouTube

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Morning Nesters,

very quick accountability check in as I prepare for my youngest daughter's confirmation today.. of course I took on too much! And have been up since 4 getting it all done.
          But I feel good. I would like more than anything to be able to carry the morning's optimism and hope into the late afternoon.. on a daily basis.
          I couldn't really sleep but I listened to the cd's again for an hour and was able to relax and get my mind off of my to-do list.
          Will check in again and read back this evening.

Wishing everyone a nice Saturday!xx

Comment

Hi LC! Don’t hurt yourself, Hope confirmation goes well!

Ahhhh G. To be free to roam and adventure. Though I would never wish it, I can imagine that life if I didn’t have kids. Living vicariously through you my friend!!

It is so awesome reading again and again the statement, “... (something good) would have never happened if I were still drinking.” It takes honesty, guts and faith to to get through this process, but if you believe and keep putting one foot in front of the other, the day comes when you realize you don’t hate yourself, and you no longer lie- to yourself or anyone. Yea for that!

I’m up early headed to the (all day!) district track meet for my son. It’s worse than a swim meet!! But I want to support him bring active. So bleachers, here I come!

Happy weekend everyone!
            Last edited by KENSHO; April 27, 2019, 08:13 AM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Sattidy. Great posts, and thought provoking. “To thine own self be true”.
              I did not get the deal signed last week (that the customer promised) Friday afternoon around 4pm, they pointed out a typo in a store number on our online portal. Butt wipes. Monday I’m heading to Denver for a tradeshow. Taking it a day at a time.
              G, you sound wonderful. You have an excitement about life that is infectious. Why, if I were 20 years younger, single, lived in Aussie and rich, I’d grab you up! (In a non HR way).
              Its a beautiful day here, so glad to be sober and enjoy it. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wishing you safe travels Byrdie. Sorry about the deal, I'm sure you did all you could :hug:

Kensho, bless you for sitting thru a track meet
                Our kids were band members so we went wherever they went, fun at times.

LC, I hope the Confirmation went as planned today.
                Don't put too much pressure on yourself, especially where sleep is concerned. It will come back to you.

G, glad your trip is coming together for you, yay!
                Take lots of pictures for us. I pretty much have to live thru others destination pictures these days

Stayed busy all day & it's been pleasant & a bit cool after last night's storms. No complaints!
                Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, all

Not much to report. I actually held a boundary for myself today - I had overbooked and felt like I "had" to attend a social event today. I called it off at the last minute and just stayed home, did much-needed housework, took a walk and listened to a true-crime podcast. It was a day I definitely needed - and it turns out my two friends did, too. They were just as happy to skip as well...

Sorry, Byrdie, that job stinks so much.

Yes, Lav, listening worked.

LC - congratulations to you daughter, and I'm glad you feel good. Keep it up, sister.

Hi, all. Running out for dinner with good friends - very glad about that.

Pav

Comment

G, that was hilarious! Active Wear, active wear. Hey, I am sure a relationship is right around the corner, a swell guy like you will meet someone in no time.

Yeah, butt wipes, I agree Byrdie.

Way to go Life, you are doing great.

Hello Ken, Ava, Pav, Wags,Lav, everyone.

I went out last night to a 5 course meal and there was lots of wine. I wanted a sip SO bad but I ignored the feeling and ordered a cranberry with sofa and a lime, I drank that and ignored the wine. It wasn’t easy to sit there for two hours and listen to the sommelier talk about the wine every so often but I got through. My son said he was proud of me for not drinking. He was the server last nightjar got me the cranberry Soda.
                    Thank goodness. The last thing I want to do is come here and post that I drank.

I am going out for dinner again tonight but have no thoughts of drinking.

Xo
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good Morning All!

30 days in the house!:sohappy:

I did it, 30 days! Some days have been really tough ones, but getting here was well worth it, I can say 30 days! The days that my hubby is not home are still the hardest, left on my own is not a great thing but one I have to deal with. Tomorrow he is off, no war zone for me. The weather is about perfect here right now and so outside is where I plan to be. Today is my last official day of healing for me so I will be bumping up the exercising.

We have been busy here, but we always are when my husband is home. The hot tub is not fixed, it was the motor that burnt out the heater so we are now waiting for that to come in. I think before it is done, the whole thing will be rebuilt! There was another blueberry festival around here so we went, though I am blue berried to death now. Hubby had reminded me that he really has not been home for the blue berries and I felt so guilty. He wanted a pie in the worst way and, thankfully, they had pies there for a reasonable price. Everyone is happy now, including me, I did not have to make one.

Narilly, good for you and the dinner! I am so thankful that I have not had to deal with a drinking situation yet, it helps tremendously. We do not much of a social life and we eat at home a lot. Hubby eats out enough on the road. I don't think that I am ready for that yet, just that one dinner with hubby at the beach was hard enough. Kudos to you!

Life, congratulations on your daughter's confirmation. I know that is big deal and I so remember when my brother and I made ours. There were parties afterwards and the adults all drank. We went to a different church with my ex and so my kids were just baptized and we went out to a very sober dinner. I am so glad that you are doing well, keep up the good work.

Avail, the heater, yuk. I am not a cold weather person at all. If it were up to me I would live on the equator. I am glad you are getting Carl ready for the cold.

I am happy to say day 30 here, but I still have to take the day as it comes, just for today. I could not have gotten here without all your support!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Comment

Congratulations on 30 days New Sunrise!!!:welldone: you sound really good the only thing bad about your post is now I want blueberry pie haha,do something nice for yourself today! Waves to all and have a super sober Sunday!:heartbeat:
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

New Sunrise - congrats on 30!!! That is the first big goal for a lot of people, but it serves best as just a milestone on the way to a better life and much bigger goals. Onward and upward!

Byrdie - sorry about the deal, and I hope the upcoming trip to Denver goes well. Once that typo gets fixed will they likely sign off on it? Safe travels.

Pav - great job on that boundary. Sometimes cancelling on something we've committed to can feel hard in the moment but turns out to be both A) the exact thing we needed and B) at least fine if not helpful for the others involved too. Glad you had some much-needed time.

Nar - great job to you as well for the 5-course dinner. You wouldn't really have wanted that wine anyway cuz you don't drink

Hellos and waves to everyone else passing through the nest today. Hope you have great days and eves!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

5-course dinners are just so long, [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION], and designed to get through with wine IMO. Some challenging things like that just don’t get easier even five years in. I had a cranberry & soda with lime recently when I went out to eat (for a two-course dinner), and it was delicious! Some of those are better than others (same as wine...).

New Sunrise, congratulations on completing your first 30 days! You have done such a good job navigating those.

I have to get going as baby daughter turns Sweet 16 today! So must get some preparations done, but best wishes to all today!
                            Last edited by Slo; April 28, 2019, 09:34 PM.
                            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Happy Sober Sunday - so grateful to be unhung...

CONGRATULATIONS, New Sunrise. 30 days is a key milestone. You sound good and strong. Pauly - that's the first thing I thought - mmmmmmm, blueberry pie. Might have to make one...

Slo - you need to shout out for 40 weeks, also! I saw it on the shout out thread. You are steadily killing it! Keep it up.

Nar - that sounds tedious. I wouldn't want to go to a wine-centered meal, even if the food was great. A while ago I went to a brew pub with friends and they all got different beers - they were passing them around and tasting each others' - I really liked beer and it made me want just to taste it. Of course, I didn't, but it reminded me about putting myself in those situations...

Maybe today I'll make a blueberry pie, or maybe I'll just do some more stuff around the house. I have some pictures to hang after painting a room OVER A YEAR AGO. Marie Kondo would not be proud.

Enjoy your hangover- and booze-free days.
                              Pav
                              Last edited by Pavati; April 28, 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hola friends!

Happy 30 days Sunrise! Congratulations on this huge milestone. Keep it going.

Blueberry pie gluten free if possible will do me too! Yo Pauly! Hope you're good.

Happy birthday for your daughter Slo!

Big waves to evabody. The working week starts here soon. Have a bewdy! L8tr g8trs.
                                Last edited by Guitarista; April 28, 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X