Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi All,
    Thanks for the continued support. Crap day but I'm here, and sober.
    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hang in there Belle xo
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
        Its funny how we used to think that people who didnt drink were "freaks" and now we go warm and fuzzy when someone doesnt drink. How the tables have turned.
        So true!! It almost seems hypocritical; but really, our eyes have been opened now, and we have had to take a 180 degree turn.
        Ava, it’s wonderful that you are getting the appreciation at work that you deserve.

FPup, thank you for the article that you posted. It makes us all realize how dangerous it can be to keep toying with this substance. The quits can get much harder. As Lav says, “I’m not so sure I have another quit in me so I’m keeping this one”.

Pauly, fascinating that your husband is now following your lead and not drinking. He must be seeing the positive changes it has made in you.

NSun, Florida is miserable without AC! Thankfully your misery should be over soon. Interesting about ‘Breaking Bad’ country.

NS, one reason I would prefer your idea of a Nurturer’s Day is so that the kids didn’t feel obligated to set aside two Spring/Summer weekends to have to celebrate their parents.

Belle, sorry the stakes are getting higher. My husband made a couple of threats to leave towards the end of my drinking too. Good job getting through your crap day. Keep stringing those crap days together, and they will start to get easier.

Thinking of you, Narilly, Pav, Byrd, G, Wags, Kensho, LC, and everyone flying into the Nest.
        Last edited by Slo; May 14, 2019, 05:11 PM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Originally posted by BelleGirl View Post
          Hi All,Thanks for the continued support. Crap day but I'm here, and sober.
          It's all relative, Belle. The day would have been crappier if you'd chosen to drink. You might have had some minutes (at best) of relief when the alcohol hit your brain but even then, I bet you would have been feeling worried and guilty, overshadowing whatever positives there were.

There have been plenty of ups and downs for me since I quit. There is not one bad experience that would have been improved or fixed by drinking. As for the good experiences -- I would have missed out at the time in many ways because I would have been preoccupied with getting the next drink and with how it was for me at the end, I wouldn't have remembered much about the event.

What your kids need is a mom they can count on and almost by definition, an addict is unreliable so if you're not able to do this for yourself right now, maybe you can do it for them. After enough time sober, you'll learn to love yourself again and realize that you are worth whatever it takes to have the peaceful life you deserve. Treat yourself the way you would treat one of your kids if the situation were reversed. You deserve the same love, compassion, and patience.

xx, NS

Comment

Good Morning All!

Belle, thanks for checking in, and we all know about the crap days, stay sober and the days will get less crappier and you can deal with the rest.

Lav- hope all goes well with hubby today. I hate it when my husband gets sick. This big strong dude turns into a little momma's boy and I could ship him to his mom, even though she is in long gone. She would probably ship him back. She has to be enjoying eternity now after raising 8 children, two sets were twins, 6 of them were boys. You know her crown has lots of extra jewels in heaven. For the life of me, I don't know how she did it.

We are all a bit anxious here, new ac going to be installed in about an hour. We will be losing 5000 of our closest and most influential friends. Reality is hitting and so is anxiety to finally get this house cool.

Tomorrow I will have to deal with the cat as long as hubby does not have to out early for his flight. He now is waiting for me a 3am to be fed and have some mommy and me time. He is a cruel task master and I know after about half hour he will be screaming at my door for me to get up. He is a maine coon mix and I think the mix is toddler. He runs this house like a well oiled machine and actually moves us to our places at various times of the day. He plays human chess. Our fault, we let him get away with it.

Hubby is home for the day for the installation, so yay us. Tomorrow he will leave so I am back to planning my week. I need to go to the grocery store today so I don't have battle the war zone tomorrow. The day he leaves is always the hardest.

Good Sober Day to all. Next time I write, this part of the nest should be cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
              We’ve had just about an inch of rain so far & the temps are in the 40’s. What happened to May? It’s freezing!
              I'm not sure where you are, Lavande, but it's the same for us in Ottawa too. I should also say Hi - I remember you and a few other names (Guitarista for sure) from when I was visiting here about 10 years ago. It's nice to see you doing so well!

I had a moment or two last night in the grocery store but managed to avoid the beer and wine section and bring home only food. So I guess it's been a week since my small slip and about 2.5 weeks since I stopped drinking otherwise. I don't really feel anything much at all except gratitude for waking up clear and healthy every morning. And a sense of moving around very carefully so as to not "break" anything... I'm sure there's all kinda adventures ahead but it's pretty calm at present...

Comment

Originally posted by New Sunrise View Post
                He is a maine coon mix and I think the mix is toddler.
                hahahahahahaha.... I only laugh cuz I know this mix all too well. If you haven't already seen it, google to find the video for "Hey Cat Video" Once we watched this it changed how we talked with our cat forever.

Quick fly by this morning with hellos and waves for everyone. Hope you all have great days and eves!
                Glad you'll be cooling your house off soon!
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

NoSugar spitting truth as usual. I remember the anticipation of a really bad thing happening to me without alcohol and wondering what I would do. Now that I have been through it, and it happened at a time I would have been drinking, I was SO GRATEFUL to be sober and clear headed. Yes, life gets lifey - I was shocked when sobriety didn't bring about an amazing life of perfection, and that first year felt a little flat at times. Keep hanging on - that feeling went away for me, and now I am just so happy to be sober. (most of the time!)

Nar, I have a mutt who looks something like a Westie...Maybe deep in his lineage.

I woke up late so I have to run. Belle, Byrdie - sorry you had such crap days. Take good care of yourselves.

xo
                  Pav

Comment

Good morning everyone.
                    Another day of job hunting, ugh. At least I am sober and not spending 1/2 of my time trying to get over a hangover. I get up everyday at 6:30/7:00 am and get after it, that never would have happened when I was drinking.

Pav, I don't know how I missed it but I am glad you got a dog, you talked about it a lot

Feral I am in Calgary, we don't have booze in the grocery store which is great.

Way to go Ava, kickin butt!

Don't drink today xo
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BelleGirl View Post
                      Hi All,
                      Thanks for the continued support. Crap day but I'm here, and sober.
                      Same here, Belle, let’s hang in together! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hiya Everyone. I've been here in spirit. Trying like mad to get a few things and small projects off my plate. So far, happy clients. I'm also cooking a bunch this week for my friend who is having a hysterectomy next week. No complaints here, except for feeling pretty tired. The weather is really, really nice and I'm slowly getting my flowers planted. Then I will have to water them every day for the next 4 months - but it's worth it to have porches we like to be on!

Belle and Byrdie, sorry you're having challenges right now. One foot in front of the other. I swear that helps me so much - a lesson in endurance. That and sleep. It doesn't have to feel good, and it won't always. But it WILL get better.

G-MAN - I believe I missed your 8 month celebration friend!!! Here are some fun facts about the number 8... it's a very positive number!!! Keep plowing forward!!
                        Number 8 - The Meaning of number 8 - Fun Facts

Pauly and LAV - I am ashamed of what I used to think of people who didn't drink :| Ava, I couldn't be where I am either if I was still drinking.

I have to run my son to cello, but thank you all for continued great words. They wash over me every time and reassure me with the best decision I ever made for myself!
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Belle & Byrdie, I hope tomorrow is much better for the two of you

My day was OK. Of course I wasn't the one getting cut in the dermatology office, ho hum. I hope this is the last surgery for mu husband for quite some time. Even I'm getting tired of all the trips & driving back & forth - he must be really sick of the process. There are appointments for suture removal, but that's not bad. I have to say that THIS is one of the reasons I am grateful for my quit. I can't imagine doing all this driving & dressing changes while sporting a hangover.

Great to see just about everyone checking in today. I haven't seen Kensho for a few days or did I just miss her post? Hope all is well.
                          Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest & remember a little discomfort in the beginning of your quit will be totally forgotten about a few years down the road

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nesters,

quick fly by on my way to work. I'm feeling super off today. I will not drink!
                            Thanks for all the great posts.xx

Comment

Good Early Morning All!

Wags- that video was so funny! That is our cat for sure. He is sleeping sounding beside me right now. All human chess pieces are in place, he is one happy kitty.

Feral- good for you 2.5 weeks is great. I know it may not seem like much when you get further along, but I know how good those first weeks feel getting up sober. Every day is huge and it should be for us all

Lav- I am glad your hubby is doing well, I know this must get tedious for him

Narilly- I so wish they would not sell alcohol in the grocery stores around here. I grew up in NY and they only sold beer at the grocery store, all others had to be bought at the liquor store. I have never been a beer fan and I could so live with just that in the stores now.

Pav- oh the Life of Perfection! I remember one of my first AA meetings and the gentleman who was speaking shared his whole story and ended with how his life was just so wonderful, even money wise. I pictured a life of rainbows and butterflies! No, life just goes on and has all its hills and valleys, they are just easier to deal with sober. Clouds with the occasional rainbow and mosquitos with the occasional butterfly.

Belle- I sure hope your day went better.

I am up again, airing the house out. Geeze....I thought I would be sleeping in. The air conditioner is not fully functioning yet and our contractor worked from 10am till 7pm on it. I am hearing ca-ching, ca-ching, in my sleep now. He got the AC unit in and had to redo some of the duct work to handle the bigger machine. He wired 'er up and kept flipping the breaker! Now hubby, being an engineer watched him fairly closely, not to check on his work but to watch how he did it, it has been a long, long time since he has done work like that but the electrically thing through hubby in a tissy. Hubby is an electrical engineer. He could not help but put his two cents in. I should have tied him down to a chair. He went over the schematics and realized that it was wired wrong to the air unit and had the guy just wire to the blower to make sure. I am so sure the contractor did not appreciate this. He is due back at 7 this morning for another go at it. He never wired the fan to circulate the air through the house last night. Oh I don't want to see the bill now, he is may just charge a hubby babysitting fee. Geeze....Hubby is home till Sunday and then gone for 2 weeks. I may just be glad to have him away, but I know I doubt it.

Another break-in night before last! This time it was on the street behind us. My husband and daughter made fun of me for staying up with the windows open. I should have just gone back to bed, they kept telling me. We have friggin tons of security cameras around our house, hubby does everything big, but I am glad for it now. I did see a car pull in across the street at 3:30 this morning and pull out at 4:30 which is highly unusual. They are very elderly neighbors and I will check on them later. He is a cranky old cuss and I sure didn't want to go over and see what was going on. It was a truck and we have some video of that but that is as far as I can help them. They have lots of trees around their house so I couldn't see anything looking out the window. It maybe nothing or it maybe someone going through their cars and shed. IDK.

I sure hope today works out better around here. I maybe turning my hill into a mountain but at least I am sober doing it. The mountain is just a small one, if I were hung over it would be Mt Everest for sure, so there is that.

Happy and Cool Sober Wednesday to all!

Comment

Hi Nesters,
                                OK, over here. Hope everyone else is doing ok too. son is coming home from college today. mixed blessing. I'll be so happy to see him, but then there is the craziness with friends, etc. and we still are dealing with the legal issue. but I swear that none of this is going to make me drink. now more than ever he needs me. I need to be clear headed to guide him along. I do hope his job at the grocery store schedules him for a lot of hours and he needs to learn to drive!

speaking of driving...daughter's boyfriend got his license. years ago I would have thought that that would have taken me over the edge. But since he is a good kid and his parents did due diligence to make sure he had all of the necessary practice hours, I have a lot of confidence in his diving skills. it takes the pressure off of me! they can go get something to eat if they want to...go shopping, etc. He's not allowed to go too far so that is good too. AND I never have to drive him home again!!! I even rode with them the other day out to eat and he did great.

idk how this summer will go and I have a bit of dread though. My son is turning into such a drama queen. and he is impulsive. I hear one of his friends started smoking weed over the winter. and I heard that from this kid's mother.

What a bunch of crap raising these teens are...but I have to stick with it and hopefully will see something good in the end. AS LONG AS I STAY TRUE TO MYSELF AND MY QUIT.

I need to go back and catch up more...but one thing stands out from my quick scan. Byrdie I don't know how you do it. We are about the same age and a job like yours would drive me to the grave. hope it gets better (or you retire) soon!
                                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Working...
                                X