Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], this doesn't apply to everyone but I know that I (and I think several of my friends) feigned interest in the subtle nuances and qualities of various wines - much like craft beer "experiences" can be a mask for desperately getting a buzz. Alone, I drank the cheapest wine straight out of a box but when with witnesses, pretended to be a wine snob. What a joke.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Nice to see everyone checking in today!

I have my grandsons here & am attempting to prevent an all out war between the two.
      Otherwise it’s been a great day

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

What a day.
        Welcome back, Laura. We’re glad you’re here.
        Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello everyone, thank you for the good wishes, I think they worked this time :yay: I got a call from the manager after my interview and she said they would be making an offer, holy crap! I don’t have an offer yet so I can’t really celebrate but thank you for the good vibes.

Hello Overit and Laura, you did it before so you can do it again.Keep coming back, glad you are here..

Belle, you are a good mom, eventually these kids mature and become normal people. Stick with it, good things will happen.

Hello Gma Lav
          Byrdie, sorry your day was probably nuts.

Matt, you make me laugh. Glad you are here.

Don’t drink today.
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Congratulations, [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION]. They will be lucky to have you!

Comment

Woohoo [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] - that's fantastic news and I agree with NS - they'll be lucky to have you! Can't wait to give you the official congrats :goodjob::sohappy::welldone:
              Last edited by wagmor; June 19, 2019, 10:36 PM.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Quick jump in to say congrats to [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION]! Second interview is usually a charm.

Still hanging in on idk...day 8 or 9. Son is doing well so far recovering from wisdom teen removal. I'm hoping they planted some seeds of good decision making in his brain while they were in there. Went for daughter's consult, and all 4 of her wisdom teeth are impacted. July 1 is her turn.

Almost had a drinking thought last night, but let it pass. onward to today and off to work wishing everyone out there a wonderful day.

Lav you are a saint watching 2 little boys. I think that would do me in. but then again I might take that over teens. :thumbsup:
                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good morning! Hope everyone has a great AF day. Congratulations, Narilly...a new job is a a new focus for you. I am sure you will be successful. I am hanging in there, although last night was REALLY difficult. Just more family crap. My husband and I were scheduled to go visit my mother today, who lives almost two hours away, to celebrate his birthday (which was months ago but postponed by her for various reasons). This was planned weeks ago. To be clear, I do not like visiting her, as she is a mean drunk and overall self-centered person who has always treated unkindly, to say the least. Anyway, she called late yesterday afternoon changing all the plans, because two siblings decided to come up at the last minute. So, basically our visit is shot. She is going out in the morning and early after noon with my brother. The birthday dinner is off, again, because my sister and her husband want to BBQ. And for Friday, she made plans for a late lunch and cocktail party with others. Needless to say, I am being shunted asides AGAIN. Not sure why I even bother, except I promised my dad before he died that I would visit and call. So, last night was HARD as I really wanted to drink and “forget” once again ...but convinced myself not to because nothing will change, except me for the worst if I drink. I walked the dog down to my grand-kids and played with them. Early bed and book with a big glass of lemon water. A good cry, but no AL! I thank you for your support and inspiration ������

Comment

Hi, all:

Way to go, Laura. Maybe instead of "the one thing I can't have," you can rephrase it - "sobriety and being in control is one thing I GET to have..." I appreciate it so much.

Narilly! I'm so happy for you. I won't celebrate just yet...

Lav - you take such good care of those grandkids.

Murph - What's up with that? Is your mom just manipulative? Again, not drinking AT someone gives you the power. Maybe consider it a gift of your time back...

Yesterday my husband and his sister had to deal with some unpleasant things with their dad. I was making tea last evening and asked my husband if he wanted any. He said he'd go for something stronger because his sister recommended it... I was at a seminar all day and the presenter said she was off to have a mojito and everyone applauded... There is NO situation you can be in that someone doesn't say "I (you, we) need a drink." So weird. I said to my husband, "I recommend tea," but I don't think it worked.

Off to work. Happy SOBER Thursday.
                    Pav

Comment

oh poo! I had a whole post typed and lost it.

Short recap:

Murph, so glad you made it through the night without a drink. Keep coming back.

Have a great day everyone.
                      The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Hola mi amiga's!

Quick check in. All's good. Morning sadhana done. Day 2 hundred and something........In Guayaquil ecuador. i'll try post pics when i can. A few mid trip changes here and there that have been a little distracting, but overall i'm grateful for this adventure, not to mention being sober throughout!

Big waves to evabody. Congrats narilly! L8tr g8trs...

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I GOT THE JOB!! You are the first ones to know Thanks for all your support :heartbeat:

Murph, good job, family can be tough I know but way to go hanging in there. Just know it won’t be just one drink, we never have only one drink. I mean what’s the point of only having one drink? I never could figure that out.
                          Belle, you are such a goo mom, it’s so good you are not drinking.

Pav, I am going to visit my MIL in the hospital now. I understand how hard it can be with the oldies. It sucks. My hubby’s dad died 2 years ago and my dad 10 years ago. They both had long drawn out illness. Dialysis, heart attacks, strokes, ugh....

Overit, I have lost posts a few times, totally annoying.

Wags, NS, xo

Hello everyone, it’s a great day!
                          xo
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Yay! Raaaawkin!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Excellent news, [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION]! SO happy for you!! Your persistence has paid off! I hope it turns out to be a
                              likeable job for you.

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], your husband sure is being challenging to your sobriety on this family vacation. My husband was like that to me too on a couple of vacations, so I get it. He’s being more respectful now, but after those, I still don’t see just the two of us making a habit of vacationing together when our nest is empty. I don’t like being made to feel like I’m getting in the way of his partying.

[MENTION=24381]murph54[/MENTION], I come from a family where favoritism is rampant too. And, on the flip side, ostracism. It is very painful. As far as your husband’s birthday goes, maybe next year just take him out to dinner, or get together with his side of the family, or celebrate with just your kids & grandkids. Minimize these rebuffs.

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION], having your grand babies move away must feel like a second empty nest. I wish they could stay living close by you. And they will miss the frequent contact with you too! Hugs to you.

Hi, Guitarista! Waves to all.
                              Last edited by Slo; June 20, 2019, 06:26 PM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] :hug:. I did a really bad job with the empty nest first time around re: drinking and of course, my kids left at college age when we all had pretty much independent lives anyway. I've been involved with our grandsons at a much more intense level, almost daily, so in some ways, it is a bigger change. This time, however, I know so much more and won't be blindsided!

Comment

Working...
                                X