X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I think fall has arrived, just hope it stays for a while
    My oldest grandson wanted to spend the day here. He’s a real eating machine at this point, turning 11 next month. He’s the reason for my final quit & I’ll always be grateful for his arrival in my life.

Wags, drinking dreams are scary but important I think. They seem to reinforce our quits while scaring the heck out of us at the same time, haha!! I’m grateful when I have one.

LC, running into an ex must be frustrating. I don’t think I would want to be friends either. You are doing just fine & are beautiful just as you are :hug:

Ava, I hope you are feeling better. Take good care of yourself.

Narilly, happy post Thanksgiving!

Byrdie, mint chocolate chip, the best flavor in the world!!! Now you have me thinking of Thin Mints!!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning Nest! It's definitely autumn here - except the deep freeze last week made all the tree leaves just shrivel and we won't get the fall color Still love the crisp air and warm sun combo!

LC, I think I would still be insecure seeing a few old Ex's. We parted due to things we decided we didn't want to work out, and I suppose we just parted and there is "undone" stuff between us. Just focus on taking care of you.

Byrdie - Me too on the mint-chocolate combo. Aside from java-chip ice cream (or even better... affogato), its a flavor preference! Sounds yummy. Autumn gets me wanting to cook soup and bake.

Wags - how interesting that you decided not to drink in your dream because you were aware you didn't want to wake up having drunk... did you know you were dreaming?

Ava - I'm so glad Carl is keeping your heart full :heartbeat: Feel better soon!

This weekend I had some f-it thoughts. I was just wanting a margarita like everyone else. Besides the fact that my children would have been mortified, and that I would been terribly ashamed, I just knew I couldn't and wouldn't. But I'm having these cravings somewhat regularly. Maybe it's that I'm not eating as well and it's sugar cravings, as eliminating the sugar during the last couple years made a huge difference for me.

It always seals the deal for me to see drunk people - then I'm no longer interested. We stopped by a swanky hotel lobby with live music and a fireplace, and there was a couple that could hardly speak, they were so drunk. He sounded like a complete idiot, and they were sucking each other's faces off, making out while reclining on the sofa. It was inappropriate in public and I could so viscerally imagine the hangovers and regret they were going to have the next morning. YUCK!

Another week of kid stuff - swim, cello, piano, parent-teacher conferences, and the standard motions of making meals, cleaning up, watching a show and going to bed... I need to find something that will spice up the routine. I'm feeling a little tired.

Have a good one everyone!
      Last edited by KENSHO; October 14, 2019, 08:59 AM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho - don't forget to take Wags advice and play that "One margarita" out to the end. Well, I guess it was done for you, seeing that couple on the couch... Glad you stayed strong - but of course you did. You don't drink.

Byrdie - sounds delicious. How'd it turn out?? I think I would want that cake with a scoop of mint chip ice cream on top...

Have to run - stayed out late last night watching live music. I do LOVE to do that, but a Sunday night is stretching it...

xo
        Pav

Comment

Morning nesters,Pav,I want ALL cake with a scoop of ice cream cuz to me they just go hand and hand Byrdie,don't think I've ever heard of that combo but hope it turned out good which I'm sure it did, been fighting a stupid cold all week and I tell you it's very familiar to how I feel when I'm hungover! The dizziness, fatigue,dumb feeling brain, disrupted sleep etc,very annoying but it will pass...... eventually, everyone sounds good and that makes me happy,waves to all and have a great day
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Dang it, Pav, we got company yustaday afternoon and I didn't get to play with my cake.

I hate to say this, but it has me thinking this morning. Simone Biles. She is at the top of her game at age 22. The World's Best Gymnast ever. I may be cynacal in my old age, but I think here is a young lady who is ripe for addiction. I think she is adopted, she was sexually abused, under TREMENDOUS pressure and her only competition is herself. That was MY competition for most of my life....myself. I tried for perfection (and seldom achieved it). I worry about this young lady, I hope she is getting some good support because she is not always going to be the best there is...there's going to be disappointment down the road, it's inevitable, I hope she has the groundwork to be able to handle it and I wish I could tell her to stay away from mind altering substances! I feel bad for thinking this, but if there were ever someone who has pressure on them, it would be her. In the meantime, it is incredible to watch how she spings around! It doesn't seem possible.
            Hope everyone is having a good Monday so far! Hugs to all. Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Nesters!

Byrdie, funny, I was just watching Simone Biles yesterday.. the girls and I watched a film about her last year called, Courage to Fly.. I also hope she'll be ok, but I think someone like her has such a strong determination to live and to succeed.. I can imagine that when she's finished the career she's doing now, she'll move on to her next challenge. I also hope she has a strong network of support.. How'd the cake turn out? Seems like a lot of us are into that combo.. if you're happy with the result, I'd love the recipe!

Kensho, did I miss that you are on holiday? Margarita=instant headache and regret. It sounds like a great idea to find something to spice it up a bit.. How about getting away for a nice spa day/massage? or a nice hike? It must be gorgeous there.. sounds like we're having similar weather, except that we got lucky with the golden leaves.. thank you so much for your kind words and support, Kensho.:love:

Pav, who did you listen to last night? I find myself always living vicariously through your live music events. I'm just too darn lazy to get myself out of the house past 6pm..:happy2:
              My mom and I are going to hear the Philharmonic Orchestra tomorrow night..I am looking forward to that. I splurged and got us amazing seats so she'll also be surprised..

Pauly, I sure hope you're all back to healthy and normal soon.. I hate feeling like that.
              Lav, what do you cook for your eating machine? What are his favourite foods? I hope he isn't a super picky eater!

Big hugs to all of you Nesters.. Hope you're having a good Unhung Monday!xx

Comment

Good morning everyone. I thought I would post before my cuppa. It’s holiday Monday, yippee!

Ugh, Ken, that couple on the couch could have been me back in the day. How gross. A good reminder for why you don’t drink!

I saw these people leaving a restaurant a few years ago and the old gentleman in the group was staggering all over and had to be helped by his wife. I thought that I never want to be like that when I get old. How awful.
                Byrdie, that is interesting about Simone Biles. Hopefully she has lots of support from other people. Byrdie, you are perfect to us :heartbeat:

Have a great day and don’t drink today.
                Xo
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Cross post Life
                  I am enjoying my Un Hung holiday Monday too. Onward and Upward!
                  Have a great time with your mom tomorrow. Enjoying music without alcohol, who would have thought it would be so enjoyable.
                  Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola friends.

Yes Nar nar. Music is soooo much more enjoyable for me now. I play once a week in a little band. All our own music and i have the freedom to colour it with sound any way i like. I have noticed i'm much more creative, open, senses alive and switched on to enable me to really contribute something usually fairly unfettered, raw, and true.

Have a great week nesters. Do something u love today.

Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I am supposed to be watching my eating machine grandsons tonight but they’re running late.

LC, they eat meat! They are true carnivores, Lol Any kind of meat will do but I have to really push the side veggies on them, haha!!
                      I hope you enjoy the music with your mom

Ken, all the times I walked into a hotel lobby with my kids in tow I never witnessed something like that. Now I feel grateful, haha!!

Hello to the entire crew & wishing a safe night in the nest for all

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                        the standard motions of making meals, cleaning up, watching a show and going to bed... I need to find something that will spice up the routine. I'm feeling a little tired.
                        Do it naked in snow shoes. :thumbsup:

Hola everyone. Some people i know say they don't like AA meetings because they feel triggered by other's booze stories. Then there are those (me) who draw strength from AA meetings and such stories or real life scenarios like the hotel lobby couple, or drunken behaviour at gigs i play. It's a vivid reminder of where i don't want to be again. How embarrassment!

Hope all are finding a little peace out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Hah, Mr. G! That's good advice. Maybe I'll go to work naked and in snow shoes just to spice it up...

I'm with you - the stories are what keeps me straight. I know I am one drink away from going downhill fast. Memories work well for me.

Yes, live music was one of the unexpected joys of being sober. I fully expected that I'd never enjoy a concert again because I wasn't drinking, but I LOVE hearing live music now. I think you all have heard me say that a million times, but one more time for the newbies... Enjoy your show, LC.

I'm a Simone Biles fan - she's amazing. I get what you're saying, Byrdie, for sure. I think she does have a support group, but that's a lot of s@#t to go through. I don't know if anyone watches Queer Eye, but Jonathan Van Ness is another example of someone who has been through the ringer INCLUDING addiction and has come out the other side to live his best life. Honestly, why do we long for booze?

I'm with you, Pauly. In fact, often the only reason to eat cake is to get the ice cream, but I imagine Byrdie's cakes are delicious.

Hope you enjoyed your day off, Nar.

Happy SOBER Tuesday everyone.

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had the pleasure of meeting some old hometown friends for lunch today. We’re all getting so old, haha!! Our kids went to school together, now look at us
                            Decent weather too so nothing to complain about for sure.

Hello to G, Pav & everyone checking in tonight.
                            Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Thanks Pav, I did enjoy my day off. I do know how much you enjoy live music, and G, it goes without saying that you ARE music

Yeah that’s funny Lav, getting together with old friends. They seem old and then you realize that you look just like them. Haha

Work is going good, thanks for all your support everyone. I am starting to get more experience in areas I have trying to get into. Being Un Hung at work really helps. Better late than never, right?!

Have a good night everyone and don’t drink xo
                              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

G - hah, great suggestion for Kensho to spice things up! When we have our nest reunion someday in the future, you'll be in charge of activities. Or... maybe not

Kensho - I'm not totally sure if I knew that I was dreaming. For some reason, I think that I did - at least that's how it feels looking back now. It's the first time I've had that full thought process within a dream. I'm thinking it's a good sign, as usually the dream is either having the drink or being tempted (then waking up before finding out what happened). Keep on playing it forward and picturing that couple on the couch next time a drink crosses your mind - that's a visual that should be a powerful deterrent!

Byrdie - interesting thoughts about Simone Biles. It wouldn't surprise me if she's at least in danger of addiction. Any world where perfection is the expectation (from within or from others) seems to foster addictive behaviors.

LC - hope you and your mom have (or had, by now) fun at the Philharmonic. Sounds like a wonderful surprise.

Ava - how are you feeling today? Thinking of you :hug:

Hellos and waves to Pav, Nar, Pauly, Lav, and everyone else stopping by the nest today. I'm exhausted from a 12-hour day with five classes, so I'm gonna hit the hay. Catch you all tomorrow!
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X