Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Pauly, haha!! I sure wish you could be my hairdresser/stylist.. why do you live so far away? Anyway, I hope my guy has your attitude!:happy2:

Comment

Hi, All--

Quick fly in on this Monday morning. Gratitude abounds. Let's keep it rolling.

Pav

Comment

LC and Pauly, my hairdresser used to ask if I’d gotten into the “Hair Cuttin Wine}. For some reason, I always took to the scissors! I’d wake up to some horrific chop jobs. Thank goodness for our hairdressers!

What a day. How clearly I remember how I would cling to the thought of my first drink of the evening......which was starting earlier and earlier. It is hard to believe the grip AL has. I have a very healthy respect for it. I must remain vigilant and it’s easy with a little help from my friends here in the nest.
        Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by narilly View Post
          Have a great day everyone and don’t drink today, it’s gross.
          I love it Narily. Drunk is gross.

Ava, Parkour for oldies?? You’re cracking me up! I think I'd hurt myself if I tried something like that! Have fun and be careful!

Pauly, I was tossing and turning too - for the last week. Not sure why!! I'll remember that you might be up too. The worst is feeling so alone - but at any given time, there are millions of people also awake.

We booked at trip to Italy for June 2020. It has been a trip I've looked forward to for years, and we finally did it. Of course, the wine has always been an issue when considering it. We were out two nights ago, and my husband asked me if I was going to have wine on the trip, and asked, "not even on the trip to Italy?" I considered it (not for the first time, I admit) and answered, "The problem is my thinking about alcohol and the obsessing I would start. It would ruin my trip." I really imagined allowing it for a short time, and my brain twisted all up... in about 2 minutes. I could feel what would happen if I had a drink. The trip would become about getting more. My son said, "you wouldn't, or I would kick your butt". Thankful for him. But I DO need to keep my head on during this planning. Italy is a place where people romanticize alcohol, and it's just as ugly and destructive there. Just need to remember that. I don't want to obsess about alcohol when I'm in a beautiful foreign place.

Got a lot done today - made 8 meal preps for the freezer, to later take out and just throw in the croc pot with all ingredients! It took about 4 hours, but I think it will save me that much during the weeks when I need it!

Have a great night everyone!
          Last edited by KENSHO; November 4, 2019, 09:22 PM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wow we woke up to a frosty 28 degrees this morning but it warmed up quickly, lots of sun too

Thankfully I haven’t attempted to cut my own hair since my days of very long hair, that was easy. I would never try it now with my super short cut, thank goodness. I’m goofy enough looking as it is, haha!

Adjusting to the time change wasn’t too bad. My dog has been giving me very worried looks concerning her dinner time though, oh well. Everyone, people, dog, chickens & cat have been fed. Keeping myself busy stitching things for the weekend craft show & trying not to dwell on my husband’s test results which should be in soon. Staying positive!!

Hello to Byrdie, Pav, LC, Pauly, Wags & everyone.
            Let’s all have a safe night in the nest!

Lav

PS: any one interpret dreams? Why have I been dreaming about horses? I’ve never had one, I don’t want to have one. There are lots of horses around my area butthat’s nothing new. Just wondering, Lol
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Thought of you all last night when I was at a very good friend's birthday party. Last year I went with another friend (who doesn't (still!) know that I don't drink) and ended up drinking.. actually sneaking drinks 'cause the friend with the birthday knows I don't. God it was awful. Last night I knew I wouldn't! I was there with friends who know I don't but even if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have done it! The boyfriend of the host asked what I wanted to drink (in a kitchen full of people) and I said I'll just have water.. He jokingly said, naw, we don't have that.. and I said, ok. then I'll have an apfelschorle (yummy apple juice with fizzy water) or ANYTHING you have without alcohol. He did then get my point..:happy2:
              There's a guy at work who I knew had a problem with drinking (met him on several occasions early in the elevator smelling of booze, once with a huge black eye from falling).. the other day he came into the kitchen with his bowl of müsli and fruit and my colleague said, "hey, look at you quitting smoking and getting all healthy!".. he said, yeah it's been 3 months.. then he said, proudly, I also quit drinking.. I said, Good for you!!! and gave him a high 5. He said he's so much happier and his life is easier without it. We in the Nest can all attest to that, can't we?!

Kensho, well done on the meal prep! I'm impressed.. And how exciting about Italy! Where are you going? I love it so much.. the last time I was there, I was saying the whole time, I'm going to learn Italian and move!! Haven't quite started with that yet.. You'll have a wonderful time there.. much more so without the alcohol messing with your mind. Just like you said about being up in the middle of the night and not being alone because so many other people in the world are awake in the same moment.. Italy, though foreign to us, is a normal place for millions of people.. and a lot of them actually don't drink. Plus, you've got the support of the huge world sober community collective you're a part of!!
              Do you think your husband will accept your decision and support you? I guess that would be the one thing I'd be worried about.. was he there when your son so sweetly said he'd kick your butt? :love:

ok. I have to run.. I'm often late to work due to posting!
              Love to you all!xx
              Last edited by lifechange; November 5, 2019, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Morning nesters,LC,good jog getting thru the party Lav,I'm like your dog wondering where my dinner is too these past few days haha! Byrdie,it's either haircuts or drunk coloring we hafta fix,alot people home bleach and are too drunk to remember how long they've had it on! Kensho,ugh the thought of drinking during a trip scares me,one of my worst memories is us driving to California and I had a Mike's hard lemonade in a travel coffee mug,after that ran out I BEGGED hubs to stop at a gas station in one of the small towns along the way so I could get beer and he wouldn't! So I was stuck in the car for hours sweating,bitching and shaking til we got to our destination and I finally got my fix and stayed drunk the whole time,I barely remember that trip and it's a terrible, terrible memory we don't want anymore bad memories only new,happy fresh ones! Just thinking about that for a minute,,, that want/need for more ugh,just feels ugly besides I'm sure the wine in Italy tastes just the same as the wine from the gas station,you won't be missing much,the food on the other hand-go to town! Waves to the gang hope everyone has a wonderful day
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Kensho - that's awesome about Italy! When we biked across Italy last year, wine was definitely present at every meal, but the food was what was really amazing and was how I allowed myself to indulge. Go into the trip with resolve and a plan, and I think you'll do just great. Where are you going???

LC - great job at the party, and glad to hear about the guy who also quit drinking and took a much healthier turn in his life.

Pauly and Byrdie - ah, the brilliant idea of cutting your own hair while drinking... yep, I can confess to doing that at least a few times. It always seemed like such a good idea!

Hellos and waves to everyone - hope you all are having good weeks so far. I've got a moderately busy day ahead and need to get to work on my class prep. Catch you all on the flip side!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho, I agree with LC and Pauly - Italy will be about so much more than wine! Think of all the extra pasta, gelato and other things you'll get to eat without the calories of the wine! Wags went on a biking trip in Italy early on as I recall - maybe she has some tips. It will definitely be easier if you can get your husband on board by then. That would have been rough for me to fight my husband AND my own mind. I am JEALOUS of a trip to Italy!

Lav, I was curious about your dream, so I Googled it and here's what I found:
                    A horse in a dream might symbolize freedom, energy, strength, endurance, stamina, power, but also hard work. It might signify male sexual energy and masculinity. Running horses symbolize freedom and release of repressed energy. Do any of those fit?

I don't have a problem with the one hour time change per se, but I HATE the darkness coming so early. Last night I got into my PJs and then realized it was only 6:45! I would prefer dark mornings. NS had a suggestion to put up more lights in the house that are nice. I might try that.

My big stress is my teenager right now. He's dragging his butt to the high school finish line. I am trying very hard not to drag it for him, but I would REALLY prefer that he make it to a diploma. I'm sure he will (most of the time I'm sure), but man, he is not making it easy on himself... He is such a cool kid, but that spark for school is NOT there. We'll see what comes next.

Happy SOBER Tuesday. Just another day.

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                      Last year I went with another friend (who doesn't (still!) know that I don't drink) and ended up drinking.. actually sneaking drinks 'cause the friend with the birthday knows I don't. God it was awful.
                      Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                      ,one of my worst memories is us driving to California and I had a Mike's hard lemonade in a travel coffee mug,after that ran out I BEGGED hubs to stop at a gas station in one of the small towns along the way so I could get beer and he wouldn't! So I was stuck in the car for hours sweating,bitching and shaking til we got to our destination and I finally got my fix and stayed drunk the whole time,I barely remember that trip and it's a terrible, terrible memory
                      Calling up this type of awful memory certainly isn't something to do all the time because there is no point in making yourself miserable or putting yourself down but what a great tool to use in a moment of indecision when you're trying to convince yourself you'd be fine with "one". The sneaking and the feeling of desperate need are so awful. I'm glad we all know that drinking is TOTALLY GROSS!! xx, NS

Comment

Catching up here. So good to see my old friends. Struggling with some depression but my doc is helping with that. I went two years without a drink and then slowly slipped into a worse pattern than before. Duh, doesn’t that always happen? Duh, didn’t I know better? Why does this happen? I mean, I make up my mind that I’m not drinking, and then I change my mind? That’s insane. Proven insanity.
                        I’m not going to sit here and wallow either. I’m actually relieved that I never have to go through this again.
                        Day 1 again 11/5/19
                        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Another thing I wanted to bring up Kensho is I know my drinking was on the extreme meter and maybe you can't even fathom that kind of behavior but I do wonder about you having not drank in a long time so opening the cage and wakening the beast sometimes is actually worse then where you left off,I've seen it happen with people before,they drank moderately, stopped for a period of time and when they started again just couldn't get enough
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nursie View Post
                            Catching up here. So good to see my old friends. Struggling with some depression but my doc is helping with that. I went two years without a drink and then slowly slipped into a worse pattern than before. Duh, doesn’t that always happen? Duh, didn’t I know better? Why does this happen? I mean, I make up my mind that I’m not drinking, and then I change my mind? That’s insane. Proven insanity.
                            I’m not going to sit here and wallow either. I’m actually relieved that I never have to go through this again.
                            You might relate to the stories in this thread, Nursie, and maybe it would be cathartic for you to add your story. It certainly would be helpful to those of us who go back and read this thread anytime we start thinking we're different/better/more in control than others. We're not. We are one. xx, NS

Comment

Thanks NoSugar- heading over to read it now.
                              I started out so strong and sure today- promised myself I wasn’t going to wallow in shame and self pity- but I feel awfully weepy right now! I don’t know why I drank when I didn’t need to, didn’t necessarily want to sometimes, but did anyway. Like a twisted self sabotage.
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19
                              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Settle in for a while Nursie, you know this is the place to be.
                                I had a long standing depression going on that I tried my best to drink away. Spent 2 years taking Lexapro which didn’t lessen my desire to drink & left me feeling numb. I ended up going a more natural (herbal) route with much better results & only then I was able to quit for good. Get your plan together & stick to it no matter what, OK?

Pav, I hadn’t googled the horse dream thing, thanks. I don’t know if those results are really applicable, I’ll have to give them some thought, thanks.
                                I hope your son hangs in to finish high school. Maybe there’s a good trade school in his future?

We had a 90 mile roundtrip to get my embroidery computer back but it’s fixed, thank goodness. An old friend built the thing for me so he’s the only one I trust to fix it, Lol
                                The next time this computer fails, I’m done. My embroidery software is nearly 17 years old, believe it or not. I bought new embroidery software 3 years ago & put it on my laptop but still can’t figure out how to use it, duh.
                                Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X