Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Nurse, we’ve got your back. Do whatever it takes to get thru THIS day. You’ve got this. Like Lav said, this is the place to be. We totally understand this awful beast.
    Pauly, your post was well-timed.
    Kensho, I try to remember that it’s the people and scenery that make the vacation, not what’s in my glass. Just the thought of their wonderful gelato is enough to make my mouth water. Bring me some back!! I’m jealous, too! Take me!
    Hope everyone has an easy evening! :horse: (thats for Lav). Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Just a fly by this morning on my way to work.
      Nursie, try to stay in the present moment the next couple of days.. focus on things that make you feel good, a warm bath, a good film, a walk in a park, some yummy food.. we all know that we can't change what's already been done.. so concentrate on the great work you're doing NOW.:hug:

I hope everyone has a good hump day.. Here it's grey and rainy and should stay this way for the unforeseeable future. Time to get even cozier! I'm thinking about my light situation.
      ps Byrdie, I'm still wondering what kind of cake you like!
      xx

Comment

Hi, All:

Nursie! Stick close - we'll be here for you. Sorry you're beating yourself up. No way to go but forward. xo

Lav - I had a chuckle at the unused embroidery software. Sounds like something I'd do.

My current stress response has been eating - ALL types of leftover Halloween candy that random people have given to me or put in a bowl at school. Not making me feel good - in fact I have a headache right now. I have to work on a plan for eating, especially over the next two months...

Happy SOBER Hump Day!
        Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Nursie View Post
          I started out so strong and sure today- promised myself I wasn’t going to wallow in shame and self pity- but I feel awfully weepy right now! I don’t know why I drank when I didn’t need to, didn’t necessarily want to sometimes, but did anyway. Like a twisted self sabotage.
          I just wrote to you in your private thread but will share it here, too.

That battle between your morning brain and afternoon brain is totally normal. In the morning, your rational self (who knows you need to quit drinking) is in charge and is not listening to your primal brain (the one that all animals have that tells us to do things that feel good and keep us and the species alive - eat, have sex, drink fluids, etc.). The problem is, alcohol makes us feel TOO good, resulting in addiction. We did not evolve to handle such a powerful 'this feels great' stimulus. Eventually, no matter how much resolve and will power you have, addiction makes it so the part of the brain designed to keep up alive takes over, shutting down the rationale brain. And no matter how wrong it really is, we feel like we have to drink alcohol. It no longer is to feel good, but to feel less awful and when we're really over the edge, not to die.

When you start craving in the afternoon, just keep in mind that what you are feeling doesn't reflect what is really going on. It won't kill you or even hurt you and over time it will pass. Most people have witching hour(s) - once you make it past those, you'll be ok until the next day. And the good news is, it doesn't take all that many days for the confused brain to figure out, Hey, I'm not going to die if I don't drink alcohol!

You can do it again, Nursie. Get on here and read and post like Lunatic Linda ( @available ) anytime you're feeling overwhelmed. We know what you're going through and feel your pain, fear, and frustration but we also know it will pass and you'll be ok as long as you don't drink.

I hope the sad feelings pass soon. xx, NS
          Originally posted by Pavati View Post
          My current stress response has been eating - ALL types of leftover Halloween candy that random people have given to me or put in a bowl at school. Not making me feel good - in fact I have a headache right now. I have to work on a plan for eating, especially over the next two months...
          Pav
          Hate to say it, Pav, but like with alcohol, none is easier than one :wink:

Comment

What a great post, [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]! Gosh, that's all so true. I'm sure you've already put a similar post in the Toolbox..? but if by chance not, could you post the above there? That makes it so much easier to find.
            Last edited by lifechange; November 6, 2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Hola friends!

How are you doing Nursie? Be kind to yourself mi amiga. Kind but firm. Because you are worth it. You are one of the most exciting, interesting, creative kick ass people on this planet. I bet that's what your family and friends think of u. :happy2:

Speaking of exciting creative people........Pav, there are lots of sweet tasting no sugar recipes in health food joints. Fruit is one example that's gotta be better than candy? Git them veggies in. Overdose on a big plate today! lol. You know this, but how i feel now has a lot to do with what i've eaten in the last 24 hrs.

Lav, hope your PC is running smoothly again. I also have a custom built desktop PC for making music. it and the software are probably around 10 years old but running great and does the job. I can't add new programs though coz windows XP is too ancient lol. That's ok as it has all i need.

Orf for a run and pump some iron. L8tr g8trs. Do something u love today.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Aww G you just love me for my bagels!! Haha seriously, you just made me smile. Thank you!
                Hope everyone else in the best is doing well.
                I am home from work and did not stop to buy alcohol. I hate to admit that I thought about it though!! Just habit I guess.
                Gonna make some hot tea and snuggle my son and my doggos.
                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Everyone sounding strong! Nursie, your bagels must be amazing! Thinking of you and hoping you have an easy evening.
                  LC, carrot cake is my favorite, it’s healthy:eek-new:
                  I tell you, I don’t see how they find people to do the job I have. There is NOTHING pleasant or fun about it.
                  I have to do a presentation on Monday for my peers on how I prospect with Linked In. That should be interesting, I am the only one who uses it, I don’t see how they do without it, so we’ll see how that goes. Then next week I’m heading to Atlanta for a trade show.
                  NS, that WAS a great post, one for the books. Thank you for that.
                  Hugs to all, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello Nesters,

Quick fly by for me. I have 2 grandsons here & I'm busy running my machines to catch up after the computer issue.
                    G, mine is also an XP (the only thing that this special emb. software will run on). The guy who fixed it for me had to buy a used part on ebay, haha!!!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy sober Wednesday everyone. I’m sorry your job sucks so much Byrdie.xo

G, I gotta tell you I am jealous of your weather. You are swimming, running, biking and I am frozen really. The joys of living in Canada.

Nursing, the bagels sound delicious. Who knew!

I am off to Vancouver for three day’s tomorrow so I won’t be posting. It will be fun, it’s very nice there. My brother and his wife like their wine. Last time we were there my SIL got a bit tipsy and got mad at my brother. She went to bed and fell asleep on top of the bed with her clothes on. It was a bit weird. Anyway, I was grateful to be sober.

Don’t drink today, it’s gross.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Quick fly by tonight. Seems like everyone is checking in and doing well.

Nursie - good to see you. Now tuck yourself into a snug corner of the nest and stay awhile. This is the best place to get back on your "quit feet" so to speak.

Nar - have a great time in Vancouver. That's one of my favorite cities!

Lav - glad your computer is back and running, and hope it keeps working for a long time to come.

Hellos and waves to everyone, and don't drink!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Nesters,

Byrdie, I love a healthy carrot cake myself.. have a big fat apple cake in the oven atm for a colleague. Hope it turns out!
                          Nar, Have a wonderful time in Vancouver.. haven't been there in ages, but remember it as a lovely city.
                          Gman, I followed your advice yesterday (without knowing, I must got the mental message!) and filled my plate up with 800g of steamed broccoli.. I have a delicious garlic salt I used on it and some lemon juice.. Broccoli is being harvested here right now so it was mighty sweet.
                          Pav, I've been overdoing it with sugar this past week! Yesterday I felt, enough is enough.. a friend of mine uses the strategy of eating tons of veggies BEFORE sweets, as in a kilo.. I paired it with some protein and it mostly did the trick. My brain still wanted the sweets, but I didn't give in. I've learned a thing or two about thoughts and cravings passing! Thanks to you all!!

Last night/evening actually, I was walking to my hair appt.. (he fixed it!) thinking about how much happier I am without the weight of alcohol. I felt free as a bird! I thought about how 42 days ago I was chained to my sofa, most likely already drunk or passed out.. I have so many more options now! I'm becoming less afraid to make plans because I can count on myself to follow through. I can also decline because I don't have shame or guilt. I have to say that my life has only improved... and I was honestly questioning whether or not I had the power to quit again. I almost decided I didn't have it in me, that it was too much effort.
                          I know some freaky situation can come up again.. It's happened, almost every time, that I drink for "no reason", my mind putting up an instant block to reason. I remember once I was shopping at TJMaxx and as I was walking to the check out line, I saw a huge shelf of different wines, many good wines marked down to 5 euros. I thought, oh how nice, I think I could enjoy a nice glass or 2.. ME! Miss I haven't just had a glass or 2 for at least 7 years. ME! If I open the bottle, I'll drink the whole thing (without wanting to) and then go out to buy more. That would start the whole roller coaster again.. I was completely lying to myself, each and every time. Feels like Jeckyll and Hyde in hindsight.
                          Anyway, I'm on my toes, cautious about potentially dangerous situations.. I have taken alcohol, as an answer to any question, off the table. I have been using my tools! Practicing, keeping you all very close in mind. I'm optimistic.. If I wake up in the morning feeling like crap (like yesterday) I know I didn't cause it! That means a lot.. knowing it will pass. Knowing I can handle it.

Big hugs all around, Byrdie, NS, Wags, Nar, Pav, Ava, G, Pauly, Lav, Kensho, Nursie!
                          Wishing everyone a nice Thursday..xx

Comment

Morning nesters,I'm sorry but when I'm craving sugar fruit just doesn't cut it,I'm just not much of a fruit girl I guess but luckily I only need a few bites of whatever sugary thing I grab then I'm over it,LC I don't get that many "fugue states" as I call them anymore,the kind of tunnel vision, one track mind of alcohol, alcohol,I've gotten better at getting back into my head when it's trying to fog over,I used to get it ALOT though, congratulations on 42 days Narilly,enjoy your trip,,wonder how 3BOW,J-vo,Belle are doing? Haven't seen them in awhile,hope all's good.waves to all and have a fab day don't drink-its gross!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, all:

Yes, NoSugar, yes. For sure. Pauly, I am NOT the type who only eats a little. I have one and then all of a sudden the day's a mess anyway so I may as well keep eating. I PROMISED myself no sweets yesterday and I made it. I brought a huge bunch of delicious grapes to our staff meeting because we were celebrating birthdays and someone brought cake. Salmon and broccoli (and a few potatoes!) for dinner. All good. Day 2 today...

I've never been to Vancouver but I hear it is beautiful. Have fun and stay warm, Nar. When I see drunk people now it makes me so uncomfortable and sad for them, especially if it is in a context like just being home for dinner. I don't judge - goodness knows I've been there - but I am sad for the person.

Nursie - way to go. Avoid purchasing, hop in a bath and put your pajamas on. You got this.

Pauly, I think about them and more every day. Hope you're all well. We're here for support if you need...

xo
                              Pav

Comment

That’s awesome Life! I look forward to feeling that way again.
                                Plugging along on day 3- I really do need to get my hair done. And NOT have the complementary wine with it!!
                                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X