• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi Nest!
    Checking in on day 6? Wow! Day 6!
    Lav, so glad it was a good craft fair!
    That’s sad about the lady who keeps drinking and is so sick.

We went to church today and did a little bit of shopping. Then came home and worked outside awhile.
    I’m cooking chicken fried steak tonight with mashed potatoes for the fam.

Hope everyone is doing good today! Xoxo
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Just checking in one more time today..
      The dinner went well but I was very glad that I'd thought ahead of time of what I was going to say/how I was going to act. Sort of subconsciously I think, as I was walking to the restaurant I was saying under my breath, I don't drink, I don't drink, I'm taking a break from drinking, I've had a headache all day, my co workers and I are having a no alcohol challenge..and on and on. When I got there, the Italians were already seated.. so they were the first I told as they ordered champagne.. then after my friends arrived and they all had their drinks we toasted.. the woman from Napoli said, no, we can't toast to water..She comes from an old school family and apparently they toast to any other drink, non alcoholic or not.. but not water. The waiter was standing there and brought me a sparkling juice.. then when they ordered wine they poured me a glass..? I let it sit next to me until the woman from Napoli had finished 2 glasses and the bottle was empty, then gave her mine. Then they ordered another bottle.
      I'll say, if I'd been feeling insecure about being around alcohol, I wouldn't have gone out to eat in the first place.. but I hadn't imagined I might be confronted with it more than once.
      The food was delicious.. I wasn't a great conversationalist.. but it was generally a bit awkward. Anyway, I wasn't sad to leave and was sooooo happy to have stuck by my guns.. and not to have felt left out or like I was missing out on something.
      Had to share that with all of you, since you are with me in spirit a lot of the time.
      xx
      Last edited by lifechange; November 10, 2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

You developed some major muscles, LC! So happy and proud for you. xx

Comment

Sitting there with that glass meant for you and not touching it is SO IMPRESSIVE.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Busy day so I’m just gEtting a chance to check in & say hello!

LC, we’re all proud of you. Great job sticking to your plan & protecting your quit. Keep doing that, it’s gets easier I promise

Nursie, great on your 6 AF days. Tomorrow is 1 whole week, yay!

My tired brain says hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

73251142_528895037899740_5664210244423647232_n.jpg

Afternoon nesters

Pauly, Carl looks like an angel bless him. My daughter bought him a pair of overalls and he looks so damn cute and then he wants to chew your hand. I dont think there is any point in glossing over the truth with regards to people drinking, though we dont need to be cruel in our words. We arent the ones that make people not post, they just arent ready to accept they cant drink or the truth of what drinking does. You can normally pick the ones that are around for the long haul and as they say persistence pays off eventually! We always see patients with nerve damage or seizures due to alcohol consumption, its very sad but i always told myself it would never happen to me. I must have thought i was special.

LC, those firsts are very important to remember. If you have done it once you can keep doing it and it just becomes second nature not to drink. Id prefer a good coffee with good company.

Hey G, hows it going?

Pav, i loved Broadchurch, i love the English crimes shows.

Today my cousin and daughter and i went for coffee and then to the shops. carl broke both lugs off my reading glasses and they are going to replace them so that is good. i have a napper cousin so thats a bonus. The new supplements i am on are working wonders so i am feeling human again. Life is good.

take care and waves to all. xx
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

LC. You are Badass!!

Hi Ava. All's pretty good here. glad ur feeling better. That Carl fella sure is plotting something! I wouldn't be turning my back on him for a second......

Kicking ass on 6 days Nursie! Yeah!

Hola to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thanks, G! I like being a badass!:happy2:
                  Just a quick fly by on my way to work.. Wishing everyone a good Monday.
                  Smash your presentation today, Byrdie!
                  Happy 1 week, Nursie!
                  Love to you all..xx
                  ps could little Carl be any cuter? Pauly, would love to see a pic of your little one!
                  Last edited by lifechange; November 11, 2019, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

WAY TO GO, LC! That is impressive and like Lav says, it just gets easier.

Ava - Carl is too cute. How does he like his overalls? Does he get annoyed in clothes? What other British crime dramas do you like??

Went to an 80th birthday party yesterday with many generations. I think a lot of people were drinking but I wasn't tempted at all. I was never a good day drinker - always just made me tired and depending on the party I always overdid. There were a few people who were pretty "happy" by the end of the party.

We have today off - in honor of veterans day here. There's not as much done in public for soldiers as there is on memorial day, at least not around here. I know there are places that have parades. Originally it was armistice day for the end of WW1. It IS nice to have a day off work for sure, followed by a four day work week.

Happy SOBER Monday.

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yep Pav today is the day to honor all veterans.
                      No parades out here in cow country but I know my daughter’s town had one today.

So it hit 60+ degrees today & tomorrow it’s supposed to snow. Seems like a cruel joke, haha!
                      My chickens don’t have snowsuits but I think they’ll be OK. I only ever tried to put a coat on one of my dogs & got bitten on my wrist SO my dogs have been without coats ever since, Lol

LC, hope your day was good!

Hi there G & Ava.
                      Ava, Carl must be a patient dog to accept the overalls
                      I truly feel sorry for the folks who continue to hurt themselves with AL. If they only knew what we all now know things would be very different, right?

Nursie, CONGRATS to you on your 1 week anniversary today, yay!!

Hello to Byrdie, wags, Kensho, Pauly & everyone. Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                      Last edited by Lavande; November 11, 2019, 05:58 PM.
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, it was 60 and sunny here yesterday and tonight it is supposed to be 10 degrees F. It has been blowing and snowing all day. It feels like mid-January!! :egad:

Comment

What a day. LC, reading how great you did last night was the highlight of today! We are so proud of you. That Champagne thing was awkward, happened to me a few times, weird and uncomfortable, but I’m not compromising my quit for any superstition. NICE GOING!
                          Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

I gotta do this, and it has to start today. Enough is enough. I am tired of being sick and tired, and I have so many stressors in my life, AL isn't helping though it tells me it will. I just posted on Nursie's thread which was very inspiring to me. I need new tips and tricks to get through the witching hour. That first taste, drop, swallow...sends me down the rabbit hole. I cannot let that happen any more. Help, please...I'm getting desperate.
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hi, Belle--

Sorry you're feeling like that. Being human is having stressors. Life will continue to be life, and there is always an excuse we can find to drink. The answer is to find something other than booze to get through. Don't allow alcohol to be one of the options for relief after a stressful day.

Can you get the alcohol out of the house? At witching hour for a couple of weeks I 1) took a walk, 2) posted here, 3) took a bath, 4) read sober blogs, memoirs and posts here, 5) posted here more, 6) rinse - repeat. Get a nice non alcoholic drink that you like, and substitute that. Eat nice, hearty meals. Take care of yourself, and don't drink, no matter what.

Happy SOBER Tuesday, all.

Pav

Comment

Hi Everyone! I'm behind in reading!

LC, great job with the event! You did it just perfectly, and that is how you build new neural pathways. Next time you're confronted with a similar situation, you will have the confidence that you know how to get through it! Way to go... that's exactly how it's done!!

Belle, I'm sorry you're feeling at the end of your patience. (((hugs))) You can choose coping without alcohol. All it takes is deciding you're done with it and being willing to feel a little discomfort while you establish different ways to cope. PAV has a great list. I also found that my witching hour never lasted too long, so distraction worked for me (focus on anything that requires focus - go for a walk and count the spruce trees you see, say the alphabet backwards, give to others (pet the dog, engage in a conversation with the kids), etc. I also found it really helpful to make sure I had IN MY HANDS ALL NIGHT a non-AL drink. So when I was wanting to sip, I just sipped and sipped sparkling water or juice or whatever. You can do this!!!!

Nursie WAY TO GO on a week!!! That's a huge milestone - you did it!!!

AVA, Carl looks like he has some serious personality!! What a handsome boy.

I woke up with a head cold and the gunk dripping down my throat all night. I feel like there is cotton from ear to ear. Oh well, I guess we all have a turn. I did start a conversation with my husband once I got my head on regarding why I never want to drink again. I told him that I want him to have the experience he wants in Italy, and I want me to have the same. I asked if he knew I wasn't going to drink, and he said yes. So now, we are just talking about Tuscany and how to visit a couple wineries so that he can tour and taste, without paying for me and the kids. I'll have to research how that will work.

So, BIG hurdles crossed. Back in the day, I would have just drank to alleviate the discomfort of dealing.. now I just deal. The only elephant left in the room is that I am going to struggle if he makes getting his buzz a priority over other fun things. I am hoping wine flows so easily there that he won't have any trouble getting his fill. I don't want to be drug to certain places just because of alcohol. That was a major point of conflict on our last trip to the Carolinas.

Anyway, I've outed myself to kids and everyone else close to me that I will not be drinking. It sure helped to read back on my old posts. The pain and desperation I felt had faded a bit. But when I read those posts, it is all too clear that I was not functioning well.

I hope everyone has a great day!
                                Last edited by KENSHO; November 12, 2019, 10:08 AM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X