Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Pav, you handled the situation very well. Good for you!!

NS, enjoy your time with the little ones. I’m with you, grateful as ever

Byrdie, hope your weekend is good! Is it cold down there too? 29 degrees here at the moment & will be getting colder tonight!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night. In the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Valentines day ladies.

:balloons::horn::blowkiss:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

day 45. i've been sick from sinusitis the last days. it's getting a little better now. i'm afraid i've got another addiction...!
        about 2 years ago i got a prescription for anti-inflammatory nose spray because i had chronic sinusitis. and now when i forget to take that spray for only one day, i get just that, and a very bad case of it too, with fever and all.
        this is the second time in a few weeks i got so sick after forgetting the spray. and i think in retrospect that that chronic sinusitis i got it for was caused by a side effect of anti-depressants i was taking then (it is a registered side effect of those meds so that seems fair enough, especially combined with my allergies). and i started taking those anti-depressants becauseof a side effect (severe sleeping disorder) of tapering down too quick with baclofen, which i started taking because of severe alcoholism. rhaa!
        okay. so i have to try and taper this medicine down very very carefully as well. haha, what's next? there is hardly any next left. so that is a good thing (;

happy that my dog is doing better again. he's not so very focussed on my energy anymore (it was due to a combination of circumstances that he got so focussed on me: fear of abandonment after having stayed with my mother for 10 days) , back to normal. he's got a skinny ass now. like me so we both have to up the eating a bit.

got down with the antidepressants again last thursday (this is another one than the one that gave me such bad physical side effects, i switched) . only two more steps to go. feeling better and so much more alive with every diminishment of the dose and i'm still sleeping. note to self: after about a week (firstly getting agitated) i'll be having some days of emotionality and processing that. things will settle down again after that.

exiting days in other ways as well as me and my man are on the verge of moving in together. we have to decide on renting this very beautiful but also very expensive house this weekend. there's another very nice house we've asked information about, but while we are waiting for answers we have to be quick about the decision of the other one. eeek! and moving in together... wow, that's quite a thing for me too... yikes in all kinds of ways.

and tonight i'm going to that play... (a little life) yes, again. well actually this is the third time we are going to try and see the (whole) play. this is quite a bizarre story.
        first time (in December) we got there, we had everything well arranged, but while waiting forit to start someone asked "is there a doctor in the audience?" turned out that one of the players had broken his arm back stage. the play had to be cancelled.
        we were offered a rerun for last Tuesday. this time i had been sooo very busy and all over the place for weeks, that i thought oh my god i don't have time for it. but we managed to free some time in our scedules, and got there in time. while the play was on, the thought started creeping up on me that "oh my... this is theplay that lasts for 4 hours...?! no...please let it not be". yes it was, it is. and because we got there by public transport this time, that meant we wouldn't be home before 2 in the middle of the night, 'cause at this hour the journey would take at least an hour more. and i had to work very early the next morning. moreover i was very worried about my dog that was still stressed out at that time. and i just had to take care of us very well because of all the turmoil going on...
        so during the break (after 2 hours), we decided to leave. hoping, but not trusting, we could get tickets for another night.
        and miraculously we found tickets! the whole play was completely sold out until the end of the run, and there were no reruns planned. but apparently 4 tickets were returned! we have good seats for tonight!
        and because it's a saturday we have time, we are going by car now, and we have time to recover from the intensity of the play tomorrow. thefirst two hours were basically devastating. brilliant play, top actors, top director, and my god, what an impact...

this must be quite a chaotic post for you to read, i'm sorry i'm a bit agitated by tapering down again and basically in turmoil in all kinds of ways.
        but i'm doing well. i'm doing a lot of introspection about my dealing with things and this is very fruitful. one of the main things i'm experiencing through living it, is that i can be dependent on the people and circumstances stressing me out, and be angry or sad or resisting etc. but i can also take full responsibility for the small space in the world i occupy, and make that space a beautiful one. and if not always beautiful, at least a kind and attentive one that doesn't add to trouble and pain.

hope you all are doing very well dear people...

P.S. that is so sweet of you Guitarista
        Last edited by julia1970; February 15, 2020, 08:08 AM.
        AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Huge congratulations [MENTION=11555]mywayin[/MENTION]!
          Last edited by abcowboy; February 15, 2020, 09:23 AM.
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi, All:

Quick check in. I'm on my way to a work thing this morning. It seemed like a good idea at the time I decided to do it, but early on this Saturday it is not so appealing.

Julia - good luck with ALL that. Don't forget to take care of yourself and set some boundaries if you need. Say no to things if they seem too much. Based on experience around here and people who have written their experiences, relapse can come out of nowhere. There was a woman whose blog I follow - she was sober for 5 years before relapse. She had a million things going on in her life, including a very successful sober blog, and just basically stopped setting boundaries and taking care of her sobriety. One day she was home getting ready for some event, and she walked into here pantry and downed a bottle of vanilla. After that she was off to the races... I'm not saying you're heading for relapse - just reminding you to take care of yourself.

Gotta run. Thanks for the Valentine, G.

Pav

Comment

Hugs congrats on 2 years MYWAY!!!! I hope you feel proud and are enjoying your day!!!

Julia, it is really a pleasure reading about your journey. You are tackling life with determination, and acceptance. Your resolve to find health and balance is so clear - through everything that each day throws you. And you are willing to feel it all - which is key. Glad you got to see the end of the play!

Thanks for the V G! Have a lovely day and say hello to the beach for me!

Day 13 of whole30 here. Miss brownies and potato chips and I'm very tired of lettuce. I've been cooking really great things actually - like lamb and beef pho and chicken cacciatore - because how else will 4 people get through 30 days?! but I do miss the ease of a few indulgences. And the dishes..... We are feeling SO clean and healthy though!!

I commented last night on how much I enjoy being with my husband on this diet. I told him that is is more even tempered, more calm, and more present. I hope he connects that partly with the lack of alcohol. THIS is how life was meant to be lived - without addictions that steal us from "now".

We were talking this am about when our kids were little, and used to wake in the night. I said I remember being so irritated and "not terribly patient". I divulged some memories, as I tend to do from time to time, about how every night at 3am I would feel so terrible and sweaty and nauseous - and that I would wake with a hangover so frequently that it became my normal operating status. I SO don't miss that.

I often think that if our country would eat better and eliminate alcohol - we would be a more productive, compassionate society - not so agro and selfish. Our diet is definitely impacting our consciousness.

Love to all - do something nice for yourself today!
              Last edited by KENSHO; February 15, 2020, 11:43 AM.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Saturday everyone! Yes, I am back. We had a great trip to Mexico and I had no problem not drinking. There were a couple of times where I thought "I could have a margarita" and then I thought "It's tequila stupid, and what happens to you when you drink tequila?" SO I went ahead and had a Virgin Margarita and that solved that problem.
                In previous quits Vacations have always been my downfall so I am hyper vigilant when I go on vacation. It would be so easy to slip. Pav, I remember that blog you are talking about and about her relapse. That was SO scary, I don't want that to happen to me or any of us. What was the name of the blog again?

Byrdie, I am so glad you are outta that place. I am looking for a job presently. Hopefully a good one comes up in the next couple of months. The last one started out so hopeful and then totally sucked, I am still getting over that. Who would think at this age we would have to deal with crap jobs.

Glad you are feeling good on this diet Ken, it sounds delicious. I agree that dit makes a big difference on mood and health. I really went off my 'eating healthy mostly low carb' plan when I was in Mexico so no I am back on it. It is hard not to eat 'bad' on vacation.

Happy Valentines G Man! Your day sounds amazing just like you

Its cold here too Lav but not too cold, only -6 or so. Enjoy your grandkids NS and Lav.

My Way In- congrats on the 2 years! Woohoo!!! That is spectacular!

Cowboy, I will be stopping by the cafe.

Have a great day everyone and don't drink today.
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Morning nesters

Happy 2 years Myway, a great achievement. How do you feel after two years sober? I love to hear how peoples lives have changed from sobriety.

Glad you had a nice holiday Nar, loved when you said "its tequila stupid". I have moments like that on occasion. that al brain is still with us. You looked as if you had a lovely time away.

Going to see my girls today and my niece, i need to get out of the house as all i seem to do is sleep and work. I know once i have moved a clinic for work that it will hopefully settle down and i do love my job. Tuesday i get to go and run the clinic which i have not done in years so that will be exciting, seeing old faces and learning new stuff and meeting staff that i email constantly and i get to spend time with my boss and other drs who i love. The great thing is they always tell me how much i am appreciated and that makes such a difference to how i work.

Julia, there is no way i could sit through a 4 hour play, i admire you for that, even if it does have rave reviews. as Pav says take care of you. Most of us hibernated for 3 months when we first got sober, this is our healing time and our i still feel sorry for the 10+ years of shit i put my body through while drinking. Now into my 6th year, i finally think my body has forgiven me.

Had a visit from my other son on Friday, it is so nice to see him though he went to a party last night and not home yet. Oh well, he is 30 but you still worry about them.

Funny weather atm, humid and yesterday i was in winter clothes. i must say i am looking forward to winter and snuggling up, its the short daylight hours that suck.

take care xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Unfortunately I had to return my granddaughter to her parents today, haha! I always love a visit from that kid, always happy & downright bubbly

Congrats on your 2 years AF MyWay!!!!!
                    Please let us know how you are doing & celebrating!

Julia, I cannot sit still for an hour let alone 4 hours, Lol
                    I hope you enjoyed the play in pieces

Hi Ava! Getting away from home, even if it’s for a few hours helps my attitude a lot!

Narilly, welcome back, glad you enjoyed your trip!!!

Hi Kensho, Pav, Cowboy, G & everyone!

Let’s all have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hola friends,

You're welcome all.

Thanks Nar you Raaaawk star!

Happy 2 years My way in! Congratulations mon ami. :sendflowers::flip::woohoo2:

Big waves to evabody. Have a peaceful and magical sober weekend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Quick fly by for me this evening. Sounds like everyone is doing well. Congrats Mywayin on 2 years, Julia on sitting through a long but amazing play, Byrdie for not letting the stress of Paul getting your files overcome you, Pav for remembering you don't drink, and Kensho on almost two weeks of Whole30 thus far.

Glad to hear great updates from G, Lav, Ava, NS. Hellos and waves to everyone! I'll catch up better tomorrow.
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

CONGRATULATIONS on crossing the milestone, MyWayIn. Two years is monumental.

Nar - Mexico sounds lovely right now. I always figure I get to eat more on vacation if I'm not drinking the calories. Sending you positive vibes for a new job that you love.

Ava - seems obvious to me that they'd love you. Glad you'll get to a better place.

Kensho - that's called positive reinforcement. I hope your husband gets a lot from feeling good and drinks less...

Lav - Granny! I'll bet your grandchildren LOVE visiting you.

Hi, Mr. G, Wags, everyone else. Miss you LC.

I got a text from a friend who I helped through her first year sober - she just hit 3 years. That was gratifying.

Happy SOBER Sunday.
                          Pav

Comment

MWayIn, it is our pleasure to present you this trophy for earning this big pair.....of years! :two: we know it takes a tremendous amount of determination to rise up over addiction, and you’ve shown us how. GREAT job on racking up two years, here’s to a lifetime of sobriety! Keep up the great work!
                            Prize Patrol
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Wags, I’d be lying if I said I weren’t seething from the inside out. I am debating whether or not to take legal action, I had hoped the company would ‘do the right thing’ but so far, they have not.
                              Tomorrow, I’m going to Duke to meet my brother and step mother, who is having a cornea transplant. That should take my mind off my troubles, these two are in a league of their own when it comes to complaining and negativity. If it were an Olympic sport, my money would be on these two!

Oddly enough, I was walking with my neighbor on Friday and was telling her that this brother has 26 cats. Another guy walking his dog behind us heard the statement. He said, ‘What else does he have? These things come in bundles’. He said ‘I know, I’m an alcoholic, 19 years sober’. I was speechless. My brother does have other hoarding issues. Then I looked at myself, I have other baggage, too. Addictive tendencies abound. I had every ‘sent’ email from that job. I printed out all my quotes and have all those papers. I have every receipt since 2009! I have every calendar page since high school! Oy. Yes, it is something to recognize, for sure. Funny how a comment from a total stranger can ring so true.
                              I’ll be on the road until Wednesday. I’ll check in best I can! Hugs to all, thank you for being here! Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

All is well & quiet in Lav-land, no kids around today
                                Spent the afternoon in the kitchen cooking things we can use to create meals for the week. Once & done!!!

Hello to wags, Pav & Byrdie & everyone.
                                Byrdie, Ihope your visit goes easy for you. I would be careful with all that paper hoarding though, fire hazard you know, Lol

Wishing everyone a safe 7 comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X