Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hello all

I can't thank you enough for your congratulations and good wshes. It goes straight to my heart.
    As always I feel rather guilty getting so much from this site and all your stories, but not contributing in return. I've been plugging in almost daily (like charging my cell phone) for some years now and keep telling myself that as soon as I "get on top of things" I will find the time. And that just never seems to happen !

These last 2 years AF have really flown by. Feeling good about my health and situation in general, inspite of so many challenges. The biggest difference in my life is the fact that when I do not drink to alleviate all my stresses, disappointments, challenges, and basically all other feelings, I am better able to confront things(no matter how scary), consider things in a more thoughtful and positive way, analyse, assimilate, find solutions, and work towards whatever I feel needs to be done to make changes and bring more security and happiness to my life, and to those near and dear to me.
    - My grown children count on me and admire me, and I am proud to be able to bring them support and love.
    - My husband and I have dug ourselves out of a deep financial hole and are now stable.
    - I have eliminated some toxic people and family situations that were damaging to our lives.
    - I have built a new business that is taking off sucessfully.
    - I have the calm and courage to take on the next hurdles that will inevitably come our way.
    - I feel better and look better

That's a hell of alot, and I'm still working on some of this but any momentary relief that drinking might bring would not be worth throwing all that down the drain. . . . right?

So again, thank you all so much.

Onwards and upwards ! ! !

MyWay
    Go as far as you can see.
    When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

thank you for sharing that MyWay. it's very inspiring to read stories like your own. i like the perspective shift it brings very much, from saying no (to alcohol, to the way i dealt with things in the past) to saying yes, this opening up of perspective, feeling "i want that!".
      and of course a lot of admiration and congratulations from me for achieving this.

the play was absolutely brilliant. wow.. amazing how one is able to create such beauty (devastating beauty in this case). it touched us a lot. even more so because it touched on stuff of our own pasts.
      haha, when still drinking and doing drugs (well, not with all of them) i could sit for 4 hours no problem! and with this play as well. the big difference is that now i had an amazing experience, being moved in such a profound and totally novel way. i guess people flourish by engaging with novelty (small or big, no matter), and that's one of the reasons why addiction is so deadening.

thanks for your caring remarks Pavati and Available. and for your kind remark Kensho (:
      not moving house on such a short term would be better for me, that's quite clear. this one house is so great though, that we're still investigating if we can move forward with that. but the owners appear to be highly untrustworthy (neoliberalist housing market, basically asking you to refrain from all rights as tenants). we cannot buy a house yet, because my man has just started at a new job and hasn't got a steady contract until next year. so it's either the owners go along with all our demands for rent, or we'll just take our time to find something else.

i hope you all don't mind me not responding to your posts so much. it's not from disinterest, quite the contrary!

hope you all are well.
      i believe this is sober day 47.
      Last edited by julia1970; February 17, 2020, 11:08 AM.
      AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Hi, All:

Way to go, MWI. Love your achievement.

Sounding solid, Julia. That idea of focusing on the positives we get from being without alcohol - that "Lavittude" - really works. Focussing on what you get instead of giving up something. I am definitely more focused and moved by all types of art, especially that which I view sober. Music, plays, dance, etc. Sounding good.

Byrdie - I am so sorry for your situation. I think you might want to consult an employment lawyer - he or she will tell you honestly if you have a case. Then you can decide one way or the other and be done with it. I'm so sorry you're going through this! I love those messages from beyond. 26 cats can't really come from nowhere, can it??

Happy SOBER Monday. It is a holiday here in the US. Day drinking on holidays was an unfavorite past time of mine. I am SO SO SO grateful those days are over.

Take care of yourselves and don't drink!
        Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone!

Byrdie, I can't even imagine how p. off you are. Pav's suggestion of consulting an employment lawyer sounds good. The 26 cats, wow, I guess we all have other issues. It can't be just AL, there are probably other issues we all have but don't realize we have. Haha, Lav, that was funny about the fire hazard.

Julia, way to go on day 47, you are kicking butt one day at a time.

It is Family Day here and me and my hubs are going to the movie 1917. Hopefully it is good, I am not a lover of War movies but I hear good things about this movie.

Have a great sober day everyone.

My way in- yes I agree, it is not worth losing all that good will that you have built up. We are all the same for sure.

Ava, I worry about my kids too no matter how old they are. My son is going to go travelling again in May across Europe, Korea and then to work in Tokyo for the Olympics. What a kid.
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Nothing much to report from me but I did want to stop bye & say hello

My Way, I am very happy for you! How wonderful to be reaping the benefits of an AF life!

Julia, glad you enjoyed that immensely long play.
            With all of the houses we have bought & sold over the years I understand the issues. I think I’d say it’s always best to not push things too hard, let things unfold in their own time. The right house will present itself at the right time

Hi there Pav & Narilly & everyone else.

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Another quick stop here for me. I'm not feeling super well and want to try to get an extra hour or two of sleep. I'm actually already a bit better than an hour ago so it seems that I'm fighting this off but I want to do everything I can to make sure.

Glad to see everyone checking in and sounding so good. Safe nights and days in the nest to you all!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

morning nesters

Wags, i hope you feel better soon. I have something hanging around and bothering me but too busy at work to give it time to manifest. Im hoping coffee kills it off.

Myway, its lovely to read what sobriety has done for others. I am sure i would have a list a mile long now which beats the list of excuses i used to have to drink.

Julia, glad you enjoyed the play. I just dont have the patience these days. Even with a movie i sit and think of what i could be doing.

Lots of rain here atm which is great. i just watch the lawn grow in the backyard. i know it is great for my vege garden. There is nothing like the taste of home grown tomatoes i must say.

Took carl for a walk yesterday in between the rain and he sooooo loves puddles and i sooooo love watching him run through them again and again. Getting out for a walk atm clears my head from all of the work that i have going on. Im not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel but i keep telling myself it will settle down.

Where are you LC?

take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] had trouble getting back in after the site was down. She'll be back (even if under a new name) :smile:!

Comment

MyWay, any chance you’d stick that post in the Tool Box for us? Those gems are worth their weight in gold for those of us searching for encouragement. We are so happy for you!
                    Julia, you are sounding great! Isn’t it nice to get your foundation back?! Stay with it, the best is yet to come!
                    I’m in Durham with my step mom, who had a cornea transplant. My brother drove her from the western part of the state. I thought they were going to miss the appointment yesterday, they got lost, yes, he has two navigation systems. We were almost late this morning for the surgery. My word, people sure do operate differently. They are in slow motion.
                    more later! Hugs to all! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Pavati, what does "Lavittude" mean? i like the word, but i'm not an English speaker so i cannot feel the meaning. is it related to lavishness? as opposed to scarcity? or maybe something compleeeetely different? (;

day 48. tired, had an intensive day. i need loads of sleep all of a sudden and somehow i have this irritating urge to pee all night so i get up at least 5 times a night. for nothing. suppose it has to do with my body needing to find a new balance. but jeezz, can it not just do that at daytime?!

hope you all are fine.
                      AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Julia - Lavanittude or Lavittude refers to my never ending fortitude or attitude, haha!!! Someone came up with that years ago & it just stuck! I am stubborn to a fault, just in case you want to know
                        I hope you get some decent rest & sleep.

Wags, hope you continue to fend off whatever virus is in your area, geez! The US is having the mildest winter ever & I think it’s responsible for these crazy flu outbreaks.

Ava, glad to hear you are getting plenty of rain for the grass, gardens & those awful fires. Does Carl have a pair of rain boots? Haha!

NS, thanks for letting us know about LC

Byrdie, I think I mentioned before that I had to spend a week in Tampa at an embroidery school in 2003. I couldn’t wait to get back on the plane & get back to where people talked & walked at normal speed, Lol. It’s so hard to act normal in such an alien environment!!! I hope the transplant procedure went well & the patient thrives

Hello to everyone & wishing a nice night for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by julia1970 View Post
                          Pavati, what does "Lavittude" mean? i like the word, but i'm not an English speaker so i cannot feel the meaning. is it related to lavishness? as opposed to scarcity? or maybe something compleeeetely different? (;

Yes Julia, Lavittude is often very lavish! Congrat's on day 48! almost 50 days eh?!

Hola evabody. No truth to media reports that LC is hiding out on a beach in Australia. Though there has been a lot of top notch cooking going on next door.....

Take it easy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, All:

Quick check in from the mountains. I am going to take a detox for a couple of days - I'll check in when I return.

Lavittude is - gratitude, confidence, no nonsense, straight-talking, kindness, and fun. The attitude adopted by our Queen Nest Mom - Lavande. I aspire to cultivate it.

Have great weeks, all. And don't drink no matter what...

xo
                            Pav

Comment

Lavittude is - gratitude, confidence, no nonsense, straight-talking, kindness, and fun. The attitude adopted by our Queen Nest Mom - Lavande. I aspire to cultivate it.
                              I love this, thanks Pav.

Just a quick check in. I am grateful to be sober and Un Hung!
                              I went swimming today at 7am which is an Un Hung thing to do.

Have a Grate Day!

Dont drink today.
                              xo
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

7am swim Narily! That's dedication, especially in the cold (if it's cold where you are). Definitely an un-hung behavior.

Wags, sorry you're fighting the bugs. We've had them in our house constantly this winter. Never horrible, but always a sore throat or slight cough. Interesting that it could be weather.

Pavings, if only coffee could cure! Enjoy your detox.

G, what am I missing bout the cooking next door?

I just did "pizza with professionals" at my son's middle School. I got to tell them that interior design is not just HGTV creativity, and it's actually very left brained too. I gave the an activity to design a bathroom. But I prepared a bunch yesterday and feel behind in the paying work I have. It will all work out. Trying to take a chill pill these days and know that it will all get done.

Hope everyone has a great night.
                                Last edited by KENSHO; February 19, 2020, 03:34 PM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X