Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Sitting here with the evening news on in the background & I had to LOL!! They just announced all the wine & spirit stores in the area & beyond will close Tuesday so we better stock up, haha!!! No need for that, no way
    I pretty much plan on living small for the next few weeks until we get the ‘all clear’ message to resume life as usual. I have tons of projects to keep me busy & will probably have my grandsons here at some point while they are out of school.

Julia, keeping your focus on yourself is exactly what you have to do while you rewire your brain & get used to living without substances. No need to feel guilty, right? Great on your 73 days!!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night for everyone in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I ran to the store today to get some flour and noticed they had a big display of toilet tissue. I resisted the urge to hoard some, I should have enough, so I did not grab any. About an hours later, we met my step daughter for lunch and she said she was almost out of tissue. She ran to the store I was at and got the last pack they had! All that tissue GONE! Harris Teeter (grocery store) took their antiseptic wipes out of the vestibule and now you have to ask for them at the.customer service desk. I guess people were stealing them. We are a sorry lot. Yes, I’m so glad I’m not trying to navigate an addiction along with all this. It IS a great time to be sober.
      Julia, distraction is a powerful tool against cravings. Push those thoughts out and move along to a more peaceful thought. We ARe in control of our thoughts! I’m trying to practice what I preach! Hugs to you, keep up the great work!
      Butt Bumps (instead of hugs) to all! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

I went to get chocolate milk for tonight. This would be the night that I would normally drink and man the urges are there but I will not listen to them. I will drink chocolate milk instead. It taste better and won't get me drunk. And I can sleep tonight and wake up without a hangover. I will miss the karaoke but that will have to wait for when I am stronger.Day 7 ftw and doing it for me.

But instead I am home dinner is being made and I will not be drinking.
        Last edited by DriftyAlison0; March 14, 2020, 06:45 PM.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Well done Drifty! Enjoy your chocolate milk (one of my favourite comfort foods)

QW
          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Checking in with another AF day. I'm not teaching much these days as so many of my students are university seniors living on or near campuses that have closed, and many of them are scrambling to move home or make other arrangements. A few others are adults adjusting to work-from-home situations. I'm glad to see many people and organizations taking things seriously. I'd rather over-react and employ extreme social distancing for a few weeks than to have this virus explode or to be forced into quarantine (which of course many people will not obey). Sigh...

As many have already said, I'm sooooooo glad to not be thinking about an AL stockpile for the duration. Especially since I used to drink more than my wife was aware of, so this would be especially tricky to get away with. I know how sneaky and dishonest I'd have to be to continue, or else I'd have to come clean or reduce drastically. It would all suck, so I'm glad to be exactly where I am on my AF journey.

Butt bumps to all!
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sunday everyone.

Yes, not having to worry about stocking up on AL is great! I probably would have bought a shitload of wine and spent a lot of money. So grateful not to be in that cycle.

Way to go Drifty, chocolate milk is always good
              Keep up the good work Julia, its worth it.

Butt bumps to all.

Don't drink today.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

congratulations on one week sober Alison!

day 74, craving is mostly gone, and i'm directing my energy to things that are more interesting than suppressing myself and making my life a f*ing drag.
                as i'm still not feeling well physically this means mainly yoga against cramped muscles (side effect of tapering down the ad's), reading about philosophy and drawing. that is: living. yeeey!
                Last edited by julia1970; March 15, 2020, 10:45 AM.
                AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Hi, All:

We went to my sister's house for dinner last night and then I read more about social distancing. It seems we have to stay away from EVERYONE for one week, and then only see others who have also distanced themselves. I guess I'm not very good at this. At least I didn't go to the neighborhood party - I'm not that capricious.

Good job riding that craving, Julia. If being off the ADs feels so bad, why are you doing it? Just a question - I'm not a doctor, just curious. I've never been on ADs, so I don't really know anything about it.

I am cooking a bunch of beans and cleaning my house today, staying away from others.

Happy SOBER quarantine--

Pav

Comment

Pav's cooking beans so be prepared for some farting during those butt bumps.

I attended a public seminar thing over the weekend where hugging and hand shaking were advised against. Some people were extending an elbow as a greeeting. I should've turned and offered a butt bump. Far more meaningful.

julia, congrta's on day 74! Wowza good buddy! Taking time for ourselves is mandatory for healing and sanity i find. Especially in the first months.

Great work Drifty! Keep it rolling mi amiga. Nothing stopping you breaking out into song in full voice at home is there? Have a bewdy.

Big waves to evabody else. Take care out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Great to see so many checking in with good news
                      I’ve been thinking about LC in Germany & hoping she is OK. They seem to be having big problems there with the virus.

Alison, CONGRATS on. Your 7 AF days :yay:
                      Keep doing what you’re doing & before long the cravings/thoughts will be gone. Remember you can make this your final quit & never have to go thru all this again!

Julia, awesome on your 74 days. I really hope you are feeling more human very soon

Wags, Pav, Byrdie, G, narilly, QW & everyone else, hello!

Filled my day with some cleaning & cooking. Making a batch of bone broth in my IP now, yum.
                      Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

While it's overwhelming to try and "read back" to catch up on everyone, I do want to say hello to all Nesters - near and far, long-term, medium-term and those who are just starting out on the AF path.

Bit of a crazy time in this world! Enough to provoke the odd "drinking thought" in me. Will be applying the usual survival strategies: keeping busy, with a plan for each day; ultra-care with diet, exercise & sleep; researching new interests and looking to help others in some way.

Take good care everyone, best wishes,
                        Steady the Steadfast
                        xx
                        Last edited by STEADFAST; March 16, 2020, 12:59 AM.
                        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Pav, with every step tapering down, after a few weeks i feel great. SO MUCH better then on those meds.. i feel alive, i feel myself, i feel others, i feel boundaries, it's hard to describe. it's just that tapering down gives me a lot of side effects. heavy stuff, those neurotransmitters that's why i do it with small steps.
                          but only one more to go, i'm almost there!
                          for the rest: i don't know what's happening physically. chronic sinutis could be caused by no more smoking weed. my body is rather sensitive.

yesterday there were huge lines in front of the hasj bars here, as it was ordered they'd close. there should be some very agitated people running round in the next couple of weeks good days for home dealers and delivery dealers. bars, restaurants, gyms, etc are closed now too. and schools.

take care Steadfast!!

(day 75. wow!)
                          Last edited by julia1970; March 16, 2020, 05:40 AM.
                          AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Good morning! Birds are chirping, sun is shining and we are alive. I have no interest in numbing myself - rather it feels like a survival instinct to remain sharp. I have one client meeting this morning (surprised that she wanted to meet), and then probably none for at least the rest of March. I have a bunch of things that I am excited to tackle here at the house! And the slower pace is making moments more enjoyable with my kids and husband. It is so nice to not feel like I'm constantly in emergency mode. The money is nice with my career, but time to breathe might be better?

Julia, I'm so happy that you feel more alive. I hated prozac and how numb I felt - good for you! Live it up!!

LAV, I made IP bone broth yesterday... tried beef for the first time. The only meat on the shelf Friday was beef soup bones (HA HA), so I bought one. I have to say that while it tastes different than chicken, it's not bad!

Way to resist the urge to horde Byrdie... it's a real feeling when things are flying off the shelves!

PAV - we have been interacting with our neighbors too - we are such social creatures that it's hard to keep a distance. While I understand the importance of it, I don't like it.

Anyway, time to make coffee. I'm thankful for today - that I get another day on this planet - that I'm not numbed and preoccupied by alcohol - that I can paint a picture with my children today. Hang in there everyone, we will get through this!
                            Last edited by KENSHO; March 16, 2020, 09:00 AM.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

I've never made bone broth. Perhaps that is a social distancing project I'll take on. How is it different from regular broth you make with bones? Or is it?

Got it, Julia. Thanks for filling me in. Glad you're feeling better, and way to go on 75!

Mr. G, good point. I'll take the butt bumps easy for a few days.

Had a good hike yesterday and there were far more people and families on the trail than usual. Maybe a benefit of this whole thing is that people will turn off the devices more and get out.

I am also wondering about LC. LC? Is anyone in touch with her?

Happy SOBER Monday.
                              Pav

Comment

Originally posted by STEADFAST View Post
                                Bit of a crazy time in this world! Enough to provoke the odd "drinking thought" in me. Will be applying the usual survival strategies: keeping busy, with a plan for each day; ultra-care with diet, exercise & sleep; researching new interests and looking to help others in some
                                It is great to see you, Steady. I agree it is an important time for everyone and perhaps especially us, to have a plan and some structure.

I used to isolate on purpose SO I could drink. Now I HAVE to isolate and don't want to respond to the stress of it by drinking. With all that is going on, it would be pretty easy to slip back into the existential abyss, feeling like there is no point to anything, including my life.

I was thinking last evening how fortunate we are to have already-established online support. This is going to be tough for people who are used to and very dependent upon in-person meetings. Those meetings will go online but I suspect it will be a tough adjustment period. We know it can be done.

A lot of people I know are freaked out about trying to maintain relationships virtually. I'm pretty bummed about not visiting my parents and kids/grandkids in the near future but I know vitual relationships can be meaningful. I've never met in person some people I now consider my best friends who know me better than most of my real-life friends.

We have a head start to "being ok". Stay safe and stay close, Nesters. xo, NS

Comment

Working...
                                X