Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I am hanging in there. My AL mind is trying to get me to get set to drink this weekend but I am not doing it. Instead I will drink some non al drinks and enjoy a nice quiet weekend at home after work.

I will be taking it ODAAT. No need to drink just will disappoint myself and I have to start back at day 1 again.
    Last edited by DriftyAlison0; March 24, 2020, 04:34 PM.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

i'm happy to hear from you Pauly. and very sad for what you're having to deal with. i feel like bringing negative stories here all the time. i think if it would be all about positivity, this place wouldn't be 'real' and present to stuff, as life isn't all about that. and this forum is about the opposite of escaping life, isn't it? (or is it? i'm quite new here, i don't want to be too forward in defining this place)
      it's easier to say this to someone else, than to myself when i decide not to post or feel embarassed about my posts. so through you i can confirm this for myself.t

i'm feeling a bit better. not happy, but also not very down.
      today i took all the time i could for myself. breathing, some yoga, just sitting in the sun, reading helpful articles about resilience, and watched a lecture with guided meditation by an online buddhist guru (Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche) who offers free worldwide live meetings through facebook (at the moment twice a week). i had some experience with his way of practicing meditation, so i could connect quite easily. it's also a very accessible way and in fact quite pleasant. i know of meditation in mainly hardcore ways, like observing your breath for hours and hours and hours and hours (and that being just the introduction to the real thing). this is a different approach. much lighter. it doen't teach that enlightenment can only be reached through very very hard work, but that we are already enlightened and we forgot. it teaches an accesible way to connect to that enlightenment within you. and he is responding to the things of this time in his lectures. a nice guy, also.
      and afterwards i practiced what i had experienced and learned during this 'session'. so it was easier to let go of worries (money - i'm also self-employed, hardly have savings, and i don'tknow where things are going) and anxiety (love, loneliness, self-worth). it really helped.

i giggled out loud as well about your not a ticket to boozeville G thanks for that.
      Last edited by julia1970; March 24, 2020, 05:07 PM.
      AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Thanks for recommending Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, [MENTION=24444]julia1970[/MENTION]. I will look him up. I'm on one of the low mood days of the emotional roller coaster COVID19 has put us on so maybe something gentle like this would be helpful. I'm glad you're feeling better. How nice that you had some sun. I'm hoping for a bit of that tomorrow. xx

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had a sunny day after yesterday’s rain, very enjoyable. Tomorrow the rain returns but it is helping to green things up around here
          Two horses came to their fence as we walked by this morning, stopped to say a quick hello! They looked like they had no worries whatsoever & that was nice to see for a change.
          Today’s report is over 850 Covid-19 cases just in my state. I continue to stay home, just out for some walks down my lonely country road.

Glad to see everyone checking in & I hope we can continue supporting one another thru this crises.
          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Greetings Everyone

Like many I'm swinging at the moment (no, not THAT kind of swinging !) What I mean is there's only so much (of the pandemic) my mind can process before I start goofing around as if nothing's wrong.

So much uncertainty, HOWEVER, I am certain that neither I, nor you lot, drink......ever! And that's a very reassuring thing :yay:

love,
            Steady
            AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

There is absolutely NOTHING about this time, this self-isolation (and self-care), that would be made better by drinking. But absolutely everything about it is better because I don't drink.

I remind myself of this every single day and it sets my perspective on a positive angle no matter what else happens on a given day.

Pauly - my heart goes out to you and everyone else not able to work (or now without a job at all) due to the pandemic. I can imagine how stressful things feel. Although my work has slowed substantially I've still got enough of a trickle to keep going for awhile. I hope the stimulus package really does help the average person and not just the big companies and execs. Hugs to you friend :hug:

Lav - those walks down your country road sound lovely! And hooray for horses showing you that some things are still "normal"

Kensho - love the dance party!

Nar - hope your husband's stress eases and that his work situation unfolds for the best.

Ava - I wish you strength and health as you continue to deal with all sorts of patients

Hellos and waves to G-man, Steady, Drifty, Byrdie, Pav, Julia, NS, LC, and everyone else stopping by the nest from your little corner of the world. Keep on keeping on!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Glad to see you Pauly, talk away thats what we are here for and things are much better out than in. I have one daughter moved back in and the other may or may not. she has been able to get a reduction in her rent which is great but she wont have a job. They are both hairdressers too. They can still be open but are only allowed to be with clients for 30 minutes. what can you possibly do in 30 minutes!

I went into work today and there are more doors with "do not enter" on them, it was very eirie walking in. i spent a couple of hours there and caught up with work. Now i have found out that we have lost our office to the infectious disease team which i get but a bit of warning would have been nice, i have 2+ years of my crap there. Life is changing very rapidly atm. I am slowly realising that people are selfish shits when it comes to what they want. My days are full now contacting patients to change apts to phone or telehealth and then my days are full of them complaining its not good enough or their apt was not good enough. I am lucky there are a few that are very grateful for the help i am giving them. It certainly opens your eyes to the human race.

Tomorrow i am taking carl to the vets for his needles. when we get there we have to wait in our car and call them to say we are here and then wait. I love my vet so its going to be so hard not to give her a big hug, she has been there with all of my fur babies.

Nar, people are just unbelievable arent they. My mum today was mentioning about the air fryer she bought from aldi. This was the same air fryer that i told her she didnt need and she had to stay home. So obviously she didnt stay home and she went out and bought it. i asked her if she did this and funny enough she closed down messenger on fb. I cant seem to get through to others to stay home unless necessary and i cant give up on that and not worry, sadly.

Tomorrow i am going shopping early as they are opening the stores for just health workers which will save me raping and pillaging the land for essentials.

90253459_636723130516407_7960369189011587072_n.jpg

Carl send his love to you all.

take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, All:

Pauly and others who are losing their jobs or livelihoods - I am SO SORRY. I can't imagine the stress of that on top of the stress of everything else. In my county, we have a non profit community fund that raises a lot of money and is currently making cash grants to people in your position. I hope your county/city/state/country delivers to you and soon so you will be able to take at least one little worry off your list. I think you should feel free to dump whatever you have here. It is all better out than in, as Ava says.

I have been down, too. I generally am a happy person. In my work, I do spend a lot of time absorbing others' anxieties and fears, as I'm sure we all do to some extent. I have to remember to find ways to get them out of me and away. Honestly, sometimes I hug trees (wacko from California), but it has been raining so I haven't been doing that. Yesterday I left work early and did an online yoga class. Then I played poker with the family and that was good for a lot of laughs which really helped.

One thing is clear - I am not going to drink. That would make things a lot worse. Ava, thanks for the dose of Carl. I can't stand how cute he is.

Happy (or at least tolderable) SOBER Hump Day,
                  Pav

Comment

Hey Nesters.
                    Julia, these boards are a community. They are what WE make them. You are a big part of that, so please know that what you think matters, new or not! I have, on rare occasion, visited other forums and I have never found one as diverse and supportive as ours right here. #1. If someone doesn’t want to read my post, they can scroll on by. #2. These posts serve as MY journey. I can look back several years and see where I was at that point. It’s another reason to be honest about what’s going on, so I can tell where my head was and how I was accepting circumstances and such. It is my journal.
                    So many times during the past 2 months, I have wanted to withdraw and isolate. I have made myself post and I’m glad I did. This gives me accountability. We are all grieving and scared. I can’t think of a better place to be than among friends. I am never alone, as long as I have friends.
                    Take care of yourselves and POST! We all need each other. 6 foot hug, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] in case you're interested, he has a LOT of recorded sessions on youtube (and also long and short term courses encompassing series of sessions), a lot of them about dealing with specific experiences, like grief, fear, anger, how to speak non violently, etc etc etc: Ligmincha International - YouTube

thanks for saying that Byrdie ("Julia, these boards are a community. They are what WE make them.")

started with breathing and a little bit of yoga again today. very good to first take some time for myself, before diving into newspapers or work or whatever (i'm having a déjà written now).
                      i think the sky in me is gradually clearing a bit though i still feel this indeterminate aching. so strange, how this tapering down ad's works on the system. it's like i'm closed off in some way. but breathing and taking some soft space & time for myself helps in not reacting to the feelings and getting stuck in them.

Carl is very qute!
                      and Rufo is giving me the look right now. i have to go.

warmest things to all of you
                      Last edited by julia1970; March 25, 2020, 04:54 PM.
                      AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Hope everyone had an OK day. Rained here but tomorrow looks promising
                        Speaking of tomorrow I will be celebrating 11 years AF & hope to find a cake big enough for everyone. A little virtual get together should be safe for all.
                        I have always spoken of gratitude for this forum, it was a lifesaver for me. Can’t even imagine where I would be now if I hadn’t found this when I did. There’s been all kinds of ups & downs during these 11 years but never once did I consider picking up a drink. I made a solemn vow to myself & have never turned my back on it either. If. you have a strong desire to quit & stay quit you most certainly can. And. that goes for each & everyone of us :heart:

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Huge congratulations Lav on your eleven years of sobriety!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav - I'll get my cake plate ready for tomorrow's momentous occasion. Most definitely we are all better because you quit when you did...

Julia - I have been achy, too. In my normal work life I move around so much more - we have a big building and the water/kitchen/budget office/boss office etc are all walks I make every day, plus up and walking around other places. I am going to try to put in 5 minutes of movement every hour and see if I feel better.

Not much to report. I am grateful for you all.

Pav

Comment

Happy 11 years Lav!!!
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We were blessed with a nice sunny day & I spent most of it outside. Of course now my allergies are screaming, haha!

Abcowboy, thank you for the gorgeous cake That was very thoughtful indeed!!

Pav & Pauly, thank you & help yourself to cake. JC left me a beautiful chicken cake over in General, Lol

All I have to say is if I can do this I know the rest of you can too. You just need to want to be sober more than you want to drink. That’s all there really is to it, honestly.
                                I wanted to be fully present for my grandkids & I certainly accomplished that & have enjoyed every moment. I wanted to live a healthy, non-addicted life & so far so good!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest & please stay home as much as you possibly can. Covid-19 is no joke.
                                I love you all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X