Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hello People

People generally seem to be managing well with this whole pandemic thing. Thank goodness.

I just did a 30 minute weight-training session (online via Zoom) with the guy from my local gym, and feel so much better! Exercise is key to me, must remember that. Mr (Un)Steady's lifting lots of drinks to his lips, sad that he's missing out on the rewards of sobriety.

Stay strong and well,
    Steady
    Last edited by STEADFAST; April 12, 2020, 09:21 PM.
    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Good morning Nest Friends.

Byrdie, that must be strange not having people wandering in your area. Do you prefer it quieter or busier? How did you end up settling in your area? I wake up to mountains and grasslands and aspen trees. Do you want to trade for a couple weeks? I would love to hear the tide and smell the ocean.

Sorry about your shoulder Wags. Maybe you were dreaming of stressful things. I woke up with migraine stuff. Maybe it's our weather - we went from 75 degrees to 30 degrees Fahrenheit! Anyway, hope the stretching helps.

Julia, I first drank when I was 14 too - which is how old my son is now! Makes me wonder if and when he will get curious. I have tried to be clear that he has a pre-disposition to addiction. I just can’t believe he is at that point.

My husband poured himself white wine last night, and I noticed the smell. Not saying it smelled good, but it didn't smell bad. It scared me a little for some reason. I tried to notice and let the thought pass. There are times that I think that I might like a drink, but there are NO times I think that I would like to be a drinker. Unfortunately the two go together now, and being a drinker is not an option for me now.

Julia, that's awesome about your planking challenge. I can do maybe 60 seconds. Want to do the challenge together? I need a core-builder. I am genuinely not sure I will be able to do 5 minutes, but I'm willing to try!

I have been feeling a little unsure about my career, since it depends on luxury spending. What if the industry takes a year to come back? I've decided that "considering" the possibility is ok, but "worrying" about it is not really productive. I don't want to change careers, so I think I'll spend this time nesting some great design ideas, going through magazines and putting ideas on my tack board, developing better business forms and procedures. I am going to focus on better times, and I believe they are coming. I DID get paid half the money our client owes us... which is very helpful!

Hi to G, Narily, Lav, PAV, AVA, Belle, and everyone here. Cheers to something positive today. With sparkling water + lime.
      Last edited by KENSHO; April 13, 2020, 09:48 AM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Also, we dyed eggs yesterday. A virus found its way into the bunch...

IMG_9840.jpg
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone.

Ken, that is funny, hope the egg pulls through.

Yeah Wags, my back is sore all the time. My upper back then my lower back then my shoulder...it goes on and on. I stretch everyday and do a bit of yoga but it is an ongoing thing. I wish I could go for a massage but no massages until the pandemic is under control.

Hubby goes back up to site tomorrow with a plane full of guys. Hopefully no one brings the virus up to site. The company is implementing all kinds of precautions so we can only do what we can.

Talk later.

Please don't drink today.
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hey everyone I was just reminded by Cowboy that it is my 6 year anniversary!!! Holy crap, I totally forgot.

I am taking a bow right now. I cannot believe how time flies and that I have actually been sober for 6 years. Wow.

It took me 30 years of moderating to finally quit and now here I am- SOBER.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me- You know who you are- all of you beautiful MWOers :heartbeat: I am so grateful to you and a big thank you to Ladies on a Mission, that thread was the beggining of the end of my drinking. :heartbeat:

:thanks:
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Congratulations, [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION]! You've shown us all how to do it :hug:.

Comment

Congratulations Narilly! Wowza!

You are the best. :heartbeat: Do something real nice for yourself mi amiga.

Hola nesters. All ok here. Off to work on a cloudy cool tuesday morning.

Here are a couple of things from todays Women for sobriety site -

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” ~~Aesop

“Happiness is acceptance. ~~Unknown

“The grass is always greener where you water it.” ~~Unknown
                __________________________________________________ _____________

#3 Happiness is a habit I am developing.

Happiness is created, not waited for.'

Hi Steady, Belle and all the gang.

L8tr g8trs. Let's git it.
                Last edited by Guitarista; April 13, 2020, 03:33 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

BIG congratulations [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION]!! that is certainly worth a very deep bow. i'm doing one here for you too (really, i'm going to do it now). you are a great example to me and i'm very happy to have met you here, with everything you bring to the forum.

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                  Julia, that's awesome about your planking challenge. I can do maybe 60 seconds. Want to do the challenge together? I need a core-builder. I am genuinely not sure I will be able to do 5 minutes, but I'm willing to try!
                  that's great!! yes! let's do it
                  yesterday i didn't time myself, but today i found that i can do 90 seconds (and maybe 120 secs, but i stopped at 90. i need to watch my boundaries with stuff like this).
                  the schedule i have starts at 20 sec, so we're not that bad there are different scedules. and 5mins should be easy, especially when we do it together.
                  i'm using this one:
                  Screenshot_2020-04-13 Is Planking Planken Echt Zo Effectief + 10 Oefeningen(1).jpg
                  dag = day / rustdag = resting day / seconden = seconds (okay i know you got that already)

i need to train my core also, as my back is hypermobile and that can give me pain (and it gives me a crummy posture). also, i find planking kinda cool. like head stands.
                  love the virus egg by the way and the way you are dealing with your worries by getting creative and inspired.

i am fine. i only wish i could manage to focus more on what i want to do and find a structure for it in my days. i'm wasting so much time. and it's not like i think i have to be busy or productive always. doing nothing is just fine. but this wasting time, procrastinating, not focussing, seems like part of my addict life style. difficult to work on that and keep at it instead of letting it go again.

hugs to you all, i hope you are fine
                  Last edited by julia1970; April 13, 2020, 03:40 PM.
                  AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Narilly, congrats on 6 big years! :rara::rara::rara: it has been a pleasure to watch you find your way out! I always look forward to your posts and the nest is a better place because of you. What a wonderful accomplishment! Keep up the great work!

We had quite a scare this morning, at 5am, I received a tornado watch on my phone. Then at 9:42, we got a tornado warning and all of the sudden a terrible wind and rain came up and you couldn’t see anything beyond the glass sunroom. I grabbed the dog and we went downstairs to our safe room and our next door neighbor called, she was alone so she came over. We did our best to socially distance, I guess one crisis at a time. It passed and we were all shaken AND stirred! Many people lost power, thank goodness we did not.

Kensho, my hubs had a small mobile home at this beach in a previous marriage and that’s about the only thing he got in the divorce. When he and I started dating, we would come down on weekends and we loved it. When the time came that I could work from anywhere, we decided to build here and while it hasn’t always been the easiest place from which to commute, we have loved being near the ocean. We seldom go to the beach and I can’t swim and I don’t like seafood, but I love the culture and community. It’s a seven mile island with about 3500 permanent residents. In the summer, it swells to 10 times that, which is nuts. Once school is out, the traffic gets unreal. It can take 45 minutes to run to the store. While we appreciate and depend on our tourists, right now, it’s nice to have the place to ourselves. Tourism takes a toll on the natural beauty of the place as well. It’s also very much a culture of drinking, so I never thought I would never be able to quit with it being so prevalent here. Funny what you can do when you set your mind to it.
                    I had my first teleconference with my arthritis doctor. He is the one who monitors my autoimmune situation. I was looking for some major reassurance from him on this Covid-19 mess I didn’t get it. He said people in my situation are the ones who get in trouble, and get in trouble fast.
                    He told me to stay put unless it was absolutely necessary to go out. He said even with a vaccine, that like the flu, it may not be bulletproof. It was quite depressing if I’m honest. I’m not sure when I’ll be able to safely get back out in to society. Sheesh. Overwhelming. One day at a time.
                    Hope everyone is having an easy day. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I'm sorry you got tough news from your Dr, [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION]. He seems to lack some telemed-side skills! I guess on the plus side is you know for sure that the approach you've been taking is the right one. I'm glad you didn't get hit by a tornado on top of the other challenges! I've been to your lovely beach and hope to get back one of these days - and this time I'll visit you!!

I might join y'all in the plank challenge. I'm getting tired of my Mushy Middle osteroops:.

Have a good one, Nesters. ButtBump, NS

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Please don’t start comparing waist sizes, haha!!! I’m bigger now than I’ve ever been & I swear it’s age related.
                        We’ve had close to 2” of rain & lots of crazy wind but no tornado but the watch was up for half the day!

Byrdie, sounds like you had a real close call, geez!
                        You need to be extra careful with your autoimmune issues. My friend with RA & other stuff is on meds & still working in the hospital & I worry about her constantly.

NS, I think we should give ourselves a break, after all we are grannies, haha!!!

Narilly, CONGRATS to you 6 years AF :welldone:
                        I am very happy for you!! I hope your husband stays well on his return trip.

Hi G, Julia, Steady, Kensho & everyone! Let’s all keep up the great work & have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening nesters

Nar, a very happy belated 6th birthday to you. So proud of you and all that you have achieved. Oh the loamers thread, didnt we give poor NS a hard time. She was trying to help all of us in our sobriety and we were a pretty cranky bunch of women but look at us now. I hope you had a happy happy day. Much love.

Steady, that must be very frustrating watching your SO drink, sometimes its great being single i say.

Today i went and gave blood for the first time in many years. All i could think of was fainting (go anxiety) but i didnt and hopefully i can start giving plasma. I have so many patients that live on plasma monthly so any contribution will help and i can donate more often. It also gets me out of the house!

Back to work today and just another normal busy day. I start with a plan and thats gone in about 5 minutes but it is good to have something to fill my day.

My daughter broke up with her partner today and that is sad but all i can do is be there, i think it has been coming for awhile and of course he had to run away to New Zealand and then tell her. Not a happy mother but she is with me and is safe and thats all that matters.

Thats a lot of rain Lav, hope the chooks can swim.

Glad you made it through the cyclone safely Byrd. I cant imagine a safe room in a house.

Take care and stay safe xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Well, be careful in the hospital, [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION]! Do they provide you with masks and other PPE? I'd make masks for you but you could probably buy 1000 masks for what it would cost to mail them!

I'm ok with my grannyesque physique (and hair), [MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION], but want to feel strong again. I injured my back on Christmas day (plunging several feet into a crawl space through a hole in the floor :egad and while I've pretty much recovered from that, I have not gotten any core strength back. So... I did the 20 second plank this morning. I'll need motivation from Nesters doing it to keep going as I normally don't like programs or challenges!

If any of you have youngish children at a distance you'd like to interact with, Caribu is a fun app. You can read books together, draw, do activities, etc. It is free right now - I'm not sure if it normally is a paid app. Anyway, I've really enjoyed using it w/ 4- and 5-year old grandsons.

Stay healthy! NS

Comment

Nar - CONGRATS on 6 BIG YEARS!!!!! That's so fantastic and is a good reminder for me of where I could have been by now. When I first came to MWO (on my old profile, Wagmore, which I can't access anymore) I had started my quit right around April 16 (I just vaguely remember it was right after tax day in the U.S.). I made it up through sometime in Sept and fell off, while you have hung tight to yours and now lapped the field at 6 years strong. I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing back issues - having pain that just moves around and doesn't really ease up is exhausting!

Kensho - great attitude on the work front. It's hard to say how the economy will rebound, but I think you're smart for reframing this time as an opportunity to rework some other aspects of your business so that you can hit the ground running when spending picks up like that again. And, at some point, maybe you'll need to branch out into less of a "luxury spending" arena but honestly there will always be "haves" who are doing just fine regardless of the economy and maybe your work targets them?

Byrdie - that must be really discouraging to hear such news from your Dr, although I'm glad you received honesty. The virus definitely seems harder for some folks to fight off or make it through and if your condition is part of that picture then at least this way you can continue to take all necessary precautions. Still that seems like it would be hard. If there is anything we can do to help you cope, problem solve, or otherwise just keep moving forward please let us know.

Hellos and waves to everyone passing through the nest today -- plankers and non-plankers alike. I hope you all have fantastic days and eves, and in honor of Narilly with her 6-year celebration: Don't Drink, It's Gross!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Wahoo, Narilly!! Congratulations on a big 6 years. I remember back back we were saying the months between our quits wouldn't make much of a difference - we all quit "about 6 years ago." It has been great being on this journey with you. Sorry your husband has to go back and forth - that must be so stressful for you. Take care!

Steady, my husband is drinking more, too. I don't think he notices it much, but he is working from home and I think 5 o'clock comes sooner in that case. Plus his work is pretty slow, so I think he's bored. Somehow he doesn't have an appetite, though, and has actually lost more than 10 pounds. Unfortunately, I think it is a closed system.

I'm with you all in trying to build strength! I have done a few high intensity workouts - they are short bursts of working hard - and have noticed how weak my arms have become. It happened SO quickly! I am determined to stick with them to build arm and core strength. When you do planks, do you do straight arm or planks from your elbows ("dolphins"). I find the dolphins so much harder.

Ava, sorry about your daughter. I guess it was bound to happen once he ditched her and went to New Zealand to get through the virus. I'm glad you can be there for her! Glad you can give blood, too.

I am wondering how we're ever going to get going again, too, Byrdie. That call sounds bad - sorry he was not very optimistic. I think your beach will like being without people for a bit, though not so much your town. Take care.

Good to see you, G. Thanks for sharing the optimism.

Happy SOBER Tuesday,
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X