Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

But---- the problem about speaking up is that some people are responding violently, so be careful, @Lavande! It is not worth getting shot over. Most people in my community wear them pretty well and I just try to stay clear of the ones who don't. Since I really don't get out much, it hasn't been a problem.

@Byrdlady, I don't think it makes any sense for anyone in the US to be planning group activities for the summer, and actually, longer. Perhaps your sister will become open to a virtual shower for her daughter (and maybe she should find out what her daughter thinks about an in-person shower. Most pregnant women and new moms are especially cautious!). I think that virtual is the best we can do right now.

Because of how this all of this has been handled in the US, we need to stop pretending that things will be fine in weeks or months. We can slowly do more than we have in the last couple months but this will be a multiple months and into the years process. I doubt we ever will be back to normal, as we used to define it. Societies are transformed by events this big. Hopefully most of our transformations will be positive.
    Last edited by NoSugar; May 9, 2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

Byrdie - I think of you as creative. What about a "Quarantine" baby shower. You could still get the gifts delivered to her (but not opened) for the day of. Each guest could get a box delivered with decorations in it, or something. An online game? Depending on how much money you want to spend, a cool cookie or something? Someone on Etsy no doubt has already put something together. No WAY I would want to be at an in person shower as a pregnant person.

Wags, glad you're feeling more motivated. I will say that I get a lot more done if I am on a "work" schedule during the week. I still am not getting it all done, but I'll tell myself it is enough.

Yes, Lav, be careful! People are crazy out there. I bought two beautiful masks from a local person - they fit really well and are lined, etc. The problem is, they are TOO thick. I have problems breathing if I wear it for too long, and my face starts sweating right away (and I don't usually sweat much). I'm going to have to figure that out. My husband does the shopping, so I'm not out and about much at all to see the mask wearing. Did I say people are crazy out there?

So very grateful I'm not drinking through this. I think I would feel even further from reality.

Happy HEALTHY Saturday,
      Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Saturday everyone.

Byrdie, Fruitcake? That sounds delicious! I wish I could have some.

NS, yeah it has been handled really poorly, I am afraid of what is to come down there in the USA. Hopefully like you say, the transformation will be positive. The urine test is a good one- kinda gross though, haha.

I find masks hard to wear if they are too thick also. The ones my mom made are good and I wear them to buy groceries and go to Costco. I may have to go to Costco next week as I am running out of dog food.

Wags, your poor student. That sucks. You are such a kind person, I am sure they are grateful to have you as a teacher.

Lav, you are cooking up a storm! It all sounds delicious. I guess we are all cooking more, no wonder I am gaining weight- between your pizza and Byrdie's fruit cake I just can't stop

Julia, hope you are having a good day.

Hello to everyone I have missed. I am off to paint my mom's fence.

Don't drink today.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Wind chill in the 20’s to 30’s today. Not exactly May weather around here but the sun is nice
          Don’t anyone worry about me, I am fully used to standing up to bullies having worked in hospitals almost 30 years, haha!! My technique is more of a ‘gentle shove’ in the right direction with people. Learned that working with post op orthopedic patients. Of course they don’t feel like getting out of bed the day after a hip or knee replacement but they have to or else risk multiple complications. By the time I was done with them they were thanking me for the great idea, Lol. There’s crazies out everywhere with guns these days. Just yesterday there was a shooting in a veterans cemetery in nearby Delaware, an older couple, one killed. The shooter was found dead in the woods later. No motives found yet, just disgusting

Wags, that’s sad about your student. I know you’re a good listener so he must have felt comfortable talking to you. Hope he’s OK.

NS, I saw that urine test graphic a couple of days ago, haha!
          I will never rid myself of my ‘teacher’ persona after educating people on health matters for decades. It just comes naturally I guess.

Pav, I think we’re all grateful to be addiction free right now. My anxiety would be in high gear, that’s for sure.

Narilly, I have been cooking a lot but that’s because we live in a rural area. There’s no take out/curbside pickups of food here in cow country. I will be happy when we can safely get in the car & GO somewhere for a meal. Hope you had lots of fence painting fun today.

Byrdie, I agree with the majority here - an online baby shower is the way to go!!!! I know you’ll figure out something & your niece will be happy & safe

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sun everyone, so grateful to wake up feeling good. I will never forget the hangovers I used to have. They were ruining my life. I am sure I would have had a reduced life span if I would have kept drinking.

There is snot on the ground this morning and as I am typing this it is snowing outside. Typical spring weather here. I can't wait for it to warm up, we really treasure the warm weather when we get it.

So happy that I can say "I Don't drink" , we can all say that, right Pav?

Lav, you have such a nice life where you live, the chickens are awesome. I would love to be able to have chickens and live in a more rural area but hubs is a city boy. I love the city and the farm so its all good. I grew up in a rural area of the province and spent lots of time on my friend's farms.

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers out there.

Have a good one and Don't drink today.
            Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by narilly View Post

There is snot on the ground this morning and as I am typing this it is snowing outside.
              Well, Nar, with a worldwide pandemic, murder hornets on the loose and snow on Mother’s Day I would not be surprised to hear there is snot on the ground in Canada! :haha: Wear a mask! :haha:

So I suggested the virtual baby shower and the mom-to-be says she would rather throw a live shower and nobody show up rather than so a virtual one. Yikes. Like you all, I was surprised at this posture. I have to think this is peer pressure. ALL of her girlfriends have had showers and she feels cheated. Winston Churchill said, at 20, you care what everyone thinks, at 40, you stop caring what everyone thinks, at 60,you realize nobody was even thinking of you at all! So true.
              NS, thank you for that graphic. Someone on FB, had a pretty good comeback to those who so drastically oppose masks....think of it as protection, you know, like that gun you carry. Zoiks!
              Traffic has really been busy here. I hope all these people are being responsible, one lady said she was dying to get to the beach, let’s hope that isn’t the case. I have truly seen the different sides of mankind through all of this. I have seen a wonderfully selfless side, and the direct opposite of that. It’s nuts!
              Happy Mothers Day, if you are if the persuasion Hugs to all, Byrdie
              Last edited by Byrdlady; May 10, 2020, 03:32 PM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hola friends,

Nar, stay clear of that snot. Have a bewdy at the market.

Byrdy, an e- shower makes sense. I like friend Kensho's attitude of dealing with where we are now and what's possible. And a lot is possible. We just need to adapt a little of course.

Partying hard on day 606! Meditation, gratitude list, breathing. I'm high man, in a good way. Off to work soon.

Happy mothers day!

Big waves to evabody. Take it easy out there and think positive.
                Last edited by Guitarista; May 10, 2020, 04:34 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Happy Mother’s day to those celebrating today
                  We have had wall to wall sun & it did warm up to near 60 so I am grateful.

Narilly, I lived the first 49 1/2 years of my life in a suburb of Philadelphia. We had easy access to the city which was good but it was time for a change. All we had to do was pick up & move not quite an hour south to cowland here to find some peace & quiet, finally. I never spent a second thinking I would ever be raising chickens or live across the road from a small horse farm. When the wind is blowing in teh right direction I can hear the cows & sheep on a farm about a mile down the road. Very different, for sure Hope your day was awesome!

Byrdie, I’m sorry but I can’t see putting a pregnant person in harms way for the sake of a party. I hope she changes her mind & considers her health & that of her little one. Don’t feel pressured in any way.

606 is a good number G!!!!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Byrdie - yikes that the mom-to-be would make that decision. She seems to be thinking only of what *she* wants and not what is good for herself, her baby, and her friends/family. I love the Winston Churchill idea and I would say that probably holds pretty true. Sigh... Not sure how to reach people on this and similar topics.

Nar - ah, spring in Canada! When I lived in the Great Lakes region of the US we used to have very similar and wacky spring weather. But as you said, you're un-hung and that's the best feeling no matter what the season.

I hope you all had good weekends in your corner of this planet. If there's one thing that the pandemic has done, it has given everyone around the globe one more thing in common with our fellow earth citizens. We may not all be in the same boat, but we're navigating the same storm and there is some solace in that. Hang in there everyone!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

I'm Here!

Happy Mother's Day in the US.

All ok - I'll read back later.

xo

Comment

Checking in!
                        Hope all the Moms (of any kind) had a great Mother's Day. I know I did and the best part was being sober and not hungover.

I'm starting to get the hang of this again. I think about that weird foggy feeling after the initial elated AL buzz goes away. Yuck. Thinking about that long enough gives me pause to let the cravings melt away.

I really cracked up about Nar's 'snot on the ground'. Now that is really gross! I'm not a fan of snow after also (Hi Wags) living in the Great Lakes region for 20+ years. The 'lake effect' thing was the worst. I almost prefer snot on the ground to snow. In my jogging/running days I used to run races. People would "bum blow" snot as they were running. I almost got 'hit' a few times and it really pissed me off.

I need to get to work. Which means moving my behind downstairs to where my makeshift office is. Boss man thinks we all need to be working in the office next month. One employee said 'no way' and I am sure the rest of us will follow her lead. I live in a very congested area of Northern Virginia and last week the county health dept. said we have not reached our 'peak' yet as infections and deaths continue to rise. I ain't going to no office, especially when the building is full of doctor offices. Blech. I hate to sound self important, but I am the sole person in charge of printing, proofing and packaging our financial plans and sending them to clients. Boss is not going to fire me, or he is up a creek. These plans are his bread and butter. Better yet, I am sure he does not want me getting sick.

And the idea of an in-person baby shower is just idiotic. What are people thinking??? Ok, have your little shower and sit there by yourself and have a tantrum. Perhaps this girl is not mature enough to be a parent just yet. Byrdie, love the Winston Churchill quote. So very true!

Take care, all! Stay well, stay sober!
                        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone.

Hahahaha!!! Snot on the ground, talk about spelling mistakes. That is a scary mistake to make during a pandemic. That made me laugh this morning.

Just a quick check in, you are doing great Belle.

Don't drink today.
                          Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I took a much-too-long and too-hot bath over the weekend. When I got out, I felt sick and dizzy. Memories of drinking too much washed over me -- it felt very much the same. Made me so glad to be past that mess! It's good to remember what is was really like, [MENTION=16180]BelleGirl[/MENTION] - the price we pay is just too high for the few good moments.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Didn’t realize it was not Tuesday until mid-afternoon, haha! I am usually fairly isolated living where I do but this pandemic thing is messing with my mind, geez.
                              Hit the grocery store & hardly saw another soul. The lady at the check out seemed happy to talk to me, to anyone. I made up a batch of oat flour English muffins this afternoon, really good. Trying to use less wheat flour for a happier gut I used 1/2 bread flour & 1/2 oat flour, worked great. Cut the amount of salt in half to make my BP happy & used dairy free milk & butter in the muffins. I take a recipe & make it my own, LOL

Hello To Wags & Pav!

Belle, you’re sounding good.Your pup is really cute

Narilly, I think we all enjoyed the snot typo, haha!!

NS, I don’t ever want to feel ‘that feeling’ ever again. My memories of it are enough, don’t need any more experiences. Think I’m going to find some unique fabric for my next bunch of masks

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hope everyone has had a good day.
                                Not much to report, I appreciate the validation on the baby shower, I will not be attending.
                                I was going to say, another day another dollar, but I am unemployed!
                                Stay safe and sober! You’ll never be sorry! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X