Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Cloudy morning turned sunny but definitely more humid. That does such a number on my uncut hair, haha!
    My daughter & granddaughter finally came out for a few hours. She brought lunch too as a Father’s day gift which was nice. Happy to see them after all this time, I think my granddaughter grew 6”.
    Just finished up baking a loaf of sourdough banana bread, smells wonderful!

NS, my daughter is still making kombucha & loves it but I had to give it up. Somehow it tortured my GI tract
    Glad you are still enjoying yours

Julia, better days are coming & it’s wise to take care of yourself now. Good job, keep it up!

Pav, I am trying to keep the load light around here because I know my kids don’t want a lot of my stuff after I’m gone. It’s just easier to donate it now & feel good about it I guess.
    Glad you are feeling better & had a chance to get out!

Narilly my husband is going to be one stubborn old fool, I’ve seen it coming for years, haha! He can have his beliefs, I just don’t want to hear about them!! Enjoy the nice weather coming your way!

Ken, sounds like it’s a perfect time for a vacation. Come back refreshed & feeling more positive about your job

Byrdie, positive posts are what I try to look for on FB. I see some things posted by old friends that make me wonder if I ever really knew them, you know?

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for evryone!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Double post!
      Last edited by Lavande; June 18, 2020, 06:06 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

it's quiet here... i hope you all are well dear people.
        i feel exhausted. apparently there's so much going on inside me that it's draining my energy. fortunately i have some quiet days now. cancelled the motor cycle lesson for today because lately i've been so confused that i sometimes don't know which peddle in my car is the gas and which the brake. that's kinda scary. not the moment to learn a new trick, but i hope i can go next week. all kinds of clumsiness, signs of confusion, like i threw a cup of coffee over my laptop yesterday.

quiet days do bring the danger of persuasion. focussing on a future me helps. i really don't want to keep repeating the mind numbing patterns that have already taken away so much of my life. so i'm not going to today.
        AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Morning nesters, good for you Julia Lav I only go on FB for funny memes and pics of my nieces and nephews, I can't get into anymore wars over politics with family, my brother posted a pic of him wearing a mask to go to work that had an orange man's name in huge letters across it, I just said I like his new hairstyle haha Byrdie, your strawberry cake looked good! Kensho, hope your trip is a blast(I'm sure it will be) I can't/won't do camping and I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on alot of fun but I think I've turned into a city slicker these days, my mom stopped by for a quick visit the other day cuz they were in town for my brother's sons dentist visit and she always wants me to move home which is in the mountains and tiny! I've stopped saying"someday' I know I'd feel restless and depressed up there, although I had thought about it years ago when I was actively drinking, it sounded like a good idea but not now, I hafta keep myself occupied or else there is trouble! Waves to to gang and wishes for a wonderful sober(even though that word bugs me for some reason) day for us all!!
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good MAE (I think I finally know what that means? Morning, Afternoon, Evening?) Everyone,

Checking in and catching up before I start my work day. Wags, I am assuming your pup is better now. It is so hard when they are sick...like babies, they cannot tell you what is wrong. My pup is growing fast, and it is time to schedule her spay. Poor baby...but we will pamper her.

Well, I'm down one teenager...my son turned 20 this past Monday. Not that it makes much difference in maturity level. However, for his birthday (well a couple of days after) he got the gift of a Covid test. We are still waiting on the results so are self quarantining, though it seems like my daughter has some symptoms (claims she lost sense of smell, and head is congested...she always wants what her brother has...haha) and I woke up with some serious sniffles. A week ago Wednesday he had a bad headache and later realized he had a low grade fever. he had 2 friends over and sent them home. Fever went away the next day and he seemed to have what was like a mild cold. Stuffy nose and coughing, nothing out of the ordinary. It mostly went away except a little lingering cough, which he always gets. I really though nothing of it. Then he told me he had no sense of taste and my alarm bells went off. So after a telemedicine appointment, off we went to get his brain tickled with a swab. Waiting. I was supposed to go into the office today but for obvious reasons I had to pass that task off to a coworker, who I will coach from home. we'll see what we are going to do after getting his results hopefully today, but could be next week. Why do the prez and all his men get fast tests and we peasants have to wait for days.

So be careful out there. This virus is a sneaky b*stard. I'm guessing son picked it up working at grocery store, even though he wears a mask at all times, and it is a good one because I made it and used special filters!! (and Mom's love)

Julia, keep up the good work. Mr G always has good advice, as do Lav and Byrdie. I have removed all the alcohol from my house and hubs has some beer in the garage fridge and I won't touch that fridge. Funny, he also has some gin or vodka somewhere (doesn't matter, either were good for me) that he uses for fish batter. don't ask me how that works. But he has apparently hidden it well. last time, I found it and let say we didn't have battered fish for a while.

Nar, if you can, please DM me your low carb brownies recipe. I don't exactly do Keto but I try to keep my carbs on the low side. I would really appreciate it. Sounds yummy. I saw the video of the monster hail. Yikes! I have never seen anything like it.

and lastly...I think my boss hopes I do have covid so that I can recover, be immune and and come back to the office. haha

Hope everyone stays well and is it Friday (I've lost track)...but whatever day it is, there are no tickets to Boozeville available.
            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hi, All:

Belle, good luck with that test. A co-worker had a bad headache for three days and ended up with a positive test. That was her only symptom. I sort of feel that would be lucky - to get it like that. I know we don't know everything about antibodies, but it seems like a good enough solution.

Are you still around Big Al? Hope it is going well.

NS, I won't be making kombucha, but thanks for the offer. I am not THAT motivated...

Happy weekend, everyone. I went to the dentist yesterday. It felt perfectly safe and sanitized, and it felt good to get my teeth cleaned.

No trips anywhere, least of all Boozeville.

Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Sitting here in the middle of a thunderstorm, swell. Looks like one could pop up just about any day for the next week or so.
                Not much going on with me & that’s fine. I cooked up a bunch of chicken & turkey burgers so we have something to feed ourselves the next few days

Julia, are you still weaning off the antidepressants? Sounds like maybe you should speak to your doctor, get some advice.
                You have the right attitude keeping addictive substances out of you life. Hope you feel better soon.

Pauly, if you know you’re happy where you are then you should stay! I surely wouldn’t risk my quit to make someone else happy. I wouldn’t want anyone doing that for me either.
                Camping was fun once upon a time but eventually you get old enough to realize all the work & discomfort involved. Going back to work Monday morning after a weekend camping was just exhausting for me.

Belle, good to see you & hope your son recovers soon! This is scary stuff & you never know how a person is going to be affected. He’s young & otherwise healthy so he should be OK.
                Good idea to isolate yourselves until you know for sure.

Pav, no trips planned for me either. I can entertain myself at home, no problem Lol

Hello to the rest of the crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning nesters

A busy week for me, winter brings out lots of sick patients. What am i talking about, every day brings out sick patients! Trying to coordinate beds and tests and dates has done my head in this week. I should have appreciated it when it was quiet.

LC what a beautiful story about your visitors. My MIL is german and for all of these years has refused to tell her story, i always respected that and the awful memories she must be carrying all of her life as she was just a young child. Enjoy your time off, it will go quick enough and before you know it you will be bitching about work, like i am ha ha.

Wag, i flood my feed with rescue dogs and sober posts, some of those are sad but mostly inspiring. I hope your puppy is on the mend now.

Kensho, enjoy your trip away and stay safe.

Lav, your bread looks delicious, i wish i could have called in for a cuppa and a slice of it. Mind you that could be a toss up with Byrds cake. oh the calories!

Belle, i am taking Cardi in for her immunisation, microchipping and vaccinations this week. I will try and book her in for desexing but they are only doing emergency surgery at present. She loves the car so at least she will have something to look forward to and of course Carl will come for a drive. I hope you dont have covid. Our testing is great over here, results in 6 hours mostly if you get tested at the hospital although not sure about the pop up testing sites they have.

Pav, i have such a phobia about dentists, i need to have gas and listen to music and break out in a massive sweat! i really need to go as i have a hole in my tooth. I just hate them.

My daughter coloured my hair the other day and no more greys, today i think i will get her to do my brows. I love saving money but seem to be spending more with online shopping. Discovered WISH the other day, bad move. my son had told me about it a year or so ago and i had stayed away, should have listened to myself and not clicked!

Going to have a quiet weekend, supposed to rain all weekend but is lovely and sunny so will go for a walk shortly, after coffee that is.

Take care and be safe xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hola nester's.

Run, meditation, gratitude list, speed yoga, eyebrows all done. Off into the day.

Do something u love this weekend pilgrims.

I found some spam in my junk folder. A ticket to boozeville......easy delete. Take it easy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Whelp...son's covid test came back +. Daughter was crying because she doesn't want to be quarantined, though I think she is probably + also. Hubs and I have test requisitions, now we just have to find a lab that will test us on the weekend. I'm betting I have it. I'm a little 'off' and nose has gotten really stuffy, and the weird pain in my eye continues. Son is coughing more now than he was before test. My 'purchase of the year' was a $30 pulse oximeter because as I understand, your Oxygen saturation levels can drop to dangerous levels and you might not even know it.

This year has gone from bad, to worse, to even worse(r) to absolutely awful. Thank goodness my drinking has finally taken a hard stop. I cannot imagine drinking through this now, with the entire family possibly sick. I'll either die or hopefully have some immunity to this thing. Can I call that a win/win? The doctors I have spoken with for both my son's telemedicine appointment and mine, echo the thoughts that this virus is so unpredictable and pretty much affects everyone differently.

If anyone here is familiar with Wegmans...what a great company to work for. After son called in to say he was covid +, he received a call from HR. He has to stay out of work for at least 14 days from date of positive test. and if he still has symptoms, 3 days after all symptoms are gone. But...they will pay him for every shift he is missing! That is awesome. No wonder Wegmans is ranked in the top 10 places in the US to work every year!

Off to say goodnight to daughter and pup before I head off to bed. It has become something I really look forward to. We play puppy games with her...she is such a love.

Good sober night to all!
                      BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Morning nesters, Belle, sorry your son tested positive! I hope he's ok, more than likely you'll all test out cuz it's that contagious, I had told everyone on another thread that two of my sons friends had it and they're only 19 and 20 so got through it ok but like you said it's unpredictable! Seems to be just barely hitting all these other states now harder shit! My hubs has been letting his guard down and I told him we need to be more on guard, not less he's annoying and I don't want him to get it cuz he smokes alot, hope everyone here stays safe and healthy, much love and wishes for a happy AF day
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Belle - sorry to hear about the + covid test(s), but it must help to at least have a confirmation (and maybe (maybe) immunity from there forward). Your son's company is doing exactly the right thing and that might be the best news of all from your situation. With your year getting worser and worser, perhaps this is now the turning point toward better! Hang in there and great job on the drinking hard stop.

Kensho - your trip sounds wonderful! Like Nar, I'd also love to hear what you're finding with regard to camping, reservations, etc. It seems to vary from state to state but did you have to arrange everything in advance or will you just wing it as you go? Zion to Sonoma is quite a bit of territory! And you're starting/ending in CO or thereabouts, is that right? So lots of miles but it sounds like you've got enough days to also enjoy your stops.

Byrdie - great to hear you've used the "post to encourage others, not necessarily to change the OP's mind" approach. I know for me when I hit a string of negativity and then see one positive comment, it lifts my heart and gives me hope that we aren't spiraling into a country full of hate.

On this end, our pup is doing pretty well. She has responded to the antibiotics and is pretty much back to her pre-pneumonia self, but we still have two more weeks of antibiotics to go. Then we go in for new lung xrays and we'll find out how much has cleared and whether there truly is an underlying chronic issue. Fingers and paws crossed that all will be clear!

We're really looking forward to our escape from the 4th of July bomb festival that seems to be hosted at our neighbor's house every summer. Our pup is well enough for that little bit of travel. My wife is also recovering from dental surgery (yesterday) so the whole week away will be very low-key. We've got two different cabins right on two different rivers, so we envision lots of time sitting by the water and catching up on naps and reading. Our pup will handle that just fine.

Pav, my dad doesn't need daily care per se, so he'll stay home and a friend of ours will be available for emergencies. Since we're staying places that have wifi, I'll also stay in at least email contact with him. Worst case scenario, we'll be 3 hours away at the first cabin and only one hour away at the second, so I could zip home pretty quickly if needed. Thanks for asking!

Ok nesters, hope you all have fantastic weekends! Don't drink!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nest! Beautiful morning here, and my last day to pack - for a 16 day trip on the road. I'm excited, and a little stressed with the preparing. LAV, I fully expect to be tired of this part someday!

G, love your commitment to your morning rituals and the energy you bring here! Keep on rockin' fella!

Belle, I'm sorry to hear your family is C-positive. Hopefully you will all just have the minor version and move on. Sounds that way so far. Take care of yourself!

Wags and Nar, yes, lots of miles. My husband is the planner extraordinaire - and a good one when it comes to camping. He understands and studies maps and knows the scenic routes, the national forest where dispersed camping can be (no reservation needed), and always has backup options for us. So far, we have sites booked in Zion, Sequoia and an AirBNB in Santa Barbara. We do not have bookings in Western CO, but there are plenty of options. I think the fact that many areas shut down during Covid helped us score sites, as we were booking just as they were opening. We have 3 days in each site before Santa Barbara. I can take NO credit for the trip plans - it's all my brilliant husband. I DO, however, plan ALL the food and inside camping supplies like adding and towels and activities, etc.

Wags, glad to hear your furry love is healing up!

I got some medical tests back, and it seams that celiac may be a big cause of my symptoms. I also have some markers of demyelination and aflatoxin antibodies - which sucks. I'm really hoping that cleaning up my gut and avoiding gluten and other foods will stop these findings from progressing. I can't get a formal appt. with the doc until we return, so I'm sure there is a lot more I don't know.

Anyway, time to get rolling on my list. G, I'll take 5 deep breaths and stretch first - thank you for the reminder !!
                            Last edited by KENSHO; June 20, 2020, 10:57 AM.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Short storms off & on today & the sun is out in between, not too bad! Happy solstice to all
                              Stopped to look in on my son’s herd of cats while they are away for the weekend, haha!

Ava, hope your weekend is relaxing. I’d be happy to share that bread with you & anyone else h ere. It was definitely different with the sourdough flavor.

Hi G, good to see you!

Belle, oh boy, sorry about the + test results. Hopefully you will all take care & make a quck recovery. I don’t have Wegmans nearby but I have heard good things about them. Nice that they are taking care of your son.

Pauly, I’ll be interested to see what happens in Oklahoma after the rally today. Probably won’t be good as far as Covid #s go
                              I wish people would be smarter & avoid unecessary exposure!

Wags, that’s good news about your pup & your vacation. I hope it all turns out just perfect!

Kensho, the timing of my getting tired of camping worked out pretty well because my daughter was hitting the age where they would rtaher spend time with friends, haha!
                              Your trip sounds awesome & I wish you a wonderful trip!

No trips for me that I know of so I’ll just wish everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Belle, so sorry about your son. It must be so scary to sit around and WAIT to see how/when you might get it. Take good care of yourself.

Wags, a cabin by a river is about my happiest place on earth. I hope you have a nice, relaxing time. Glad your dad is self sufficient.

Pauly, my son has taken up vaping. He is intermittently trying to quit, but everyone at his work does it and his girlfriend does, so it is VERY hard for him to quit. We have talked about it in our family forever, how unhealthy it is, how they market to younger people, etc., but it is SO addicting, that's what happened. I am very worried that he'll get COVID - outcomes are much worse for those with lung issues. I'll bet your husband's smoking is very worrying to you. My son has also loosened his care - it is all concerning given the rise. It seems like we've just accepted all of the death as a country, since we don't want to give up our things. I hope good things for you and your husband, and for all of us.

Ava, Cardi was certainly lucky to find you. I'm glad she and Carl get along so well. Nice to have a hair colorist in the family...

Lav - how big is your son's "herd?" Just thinking about it makes me sneeze!

Happy SOBER Sunday, and Father's Day here in the US. Take care of yourselves and don't drink, no matter what!

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X