Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone.

Hello Shades, you are sounding good, nice to hear from you.

Pav, you would be good no matter what you did. I was in nursing at one time but did not finish, alot happened in the last semester and I decided to go into business. I wonder what my career would have been like, who knows.

Lav, it is going to rain here this afternoon, hopefully there is no Hail. The last Hail storm we had was brutal, we have over a Billion dollars of damage in our city.

So I am going to my friend's cabin for a few days, I have no thoughts of drinking which is nice. My friend knows I don't drink and she will not be drinking either. I don't have to stop at the liquor store and buy a s__load of booze for my 2 day trip which is Great. It is so nice to be 'free' from booze. This is no ticket to Boozeville- right G Man?

Have a good one everybody and don't drink today, its gross. (Hi Pauly xo)
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Still hot here but not as humid, something to be grateful for anyway
      Of course I am truly grateful for lots of things!!!

Hello Shades, happy to see you!

Pav & Narilly, just so you guys know - you’re probably better off having skipped nursing careers. My Mom & her sister were nurses so lots of us got pushed into it even when we really thought we would like to do something else. I still wonder what my life would have been like if I had been able to do something of my choosing, haha!! I think we just need to find a way to be happy regardless of what we are doing.

Belle, great that you & your son are both recovering. Hope your daughter feels better very soon as well.
      There is so much unknown about this virus & the way it destroys some people & not others. The news this week about the research on blood types & people with A+ may be more prone to severe Covid illness has my daughter worried out of her socks. All we can do is follow CDC guidelines & do whatever we can to boost our immunity. I am a firm believer in good probiotics for this purpose!!

Made a big pot of dairy free ‘cream’ of mushroom soup today, one of my favs
      Other than that I haven’t been too productive haha.
      Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi everyone, sorry for missing so many posting days. Things have been rolling right along here. Pup is still on the mend - she fatigues on walks but otherwise seems mostly her usual self (especially her appetite!).

Belle - our dog is a master pill-finder as well. Our new vet suggested we coat them in butter, which didn't work initially but then I got the idea to try coating in butter and then freezing them for a little while so that the butter is a firmer coating so to speak. That works! Well, that plus having little treats in my hand right behind the butterball pill so that she just keeps things moving through and swallows maybe before she has a chance to realize she smells or tastes a pill. Good thing cuz I have to give her a total of 8 pills every single day right now and that would be horrible if we didn't have a good system.

Shades - good to see you! I hope everything is going well with you.

LC - glad to hear your country is doing so well with covid numbers and I hope that summer travel across borders doesn't create too many problems. You're in Germany right? That is one of the countries they compare the U.S. to regarding covid numbers. I guess Italy, Spain, Germany and the U.S. all had similar trajectories at the beginning, but then the three Euro countries did a more unified job of staying home and the U.S. has been state by state, so we're actually not just in a plateau our numbers are higher now than in April (previous peak). Our prez refuses to lead on this issue, and his supporters are convinced that the whole thing is a hoax, so we're effed basically.

Byrdie - yum! Your treats always look so amazing.

Belle - sounds like your household is doing relatively well under quarantine, and I'm glad to hear that your headaches have passed (hopefully for good!).

Hellos and waves to everyone else stopping by the nest. Hope you're all having fantastic MAEs. Keep polishing those quit tools!
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, I did read that and I have A+ blood - I had forgotten about it, and now I have something to worry about!

Belle, I had a co-worker who only had a headache for three days and that was it. I have another co-worker who took care of her niece for four days and then the niece tested positive. She never did test positive herself. This is a WEIRD virus... I'm glad your son is feeling better, and I can't believe your daughter's boyfriend's parents are exposing him to 7 other families. That is definitely NOT what the health officials would say... I love the image of your son sketching in the glow of the lights on the umbrella.

Lav, I guess we humans are always prone to "What if..." What was the path we didn't take?

I am running late this morning. Have great days!

Pav

Comment

Hey all. Yes, I wish I had a do-over on my career path. I studied for dental hygiene longer than I practiced it. Dentistry is now the #1 hazardous job. Yikes.

Shades, so good to see you! Stay safe!
            Here in NC our Covid case numbers are getting worse by the day. We are at 90% hospital capacity. Our gov’ner has implemented a face mask mandate and you should hear the uproar. I just can’t believe people. What a mess

Yes, I’m so happy that Im not trying to navigate addiction on top of this pandemic. That is a silver lining!
            Pauly, my hair! Help!
            Belle, thinking of you and your family. Poor Snoots (always want to type, Snots!), getting his wiring redone. Yikes!
            Stay safe and sober, everyone! ButtBumps, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

The current CDC estimate is that 20% of the population has already been infected, some completely unaware. In the meantime there’s damn few empty ICU beds in some hospitals in CA & AZ & other areas. I’m not taking any risks, nope! The mask stays on for me & my family.
              Nothing real exciting going on with me, just playing in the garden & kitchen. I suddenly had the thought to make some hot German potato salad & boy it was good

Wags, I have tried every trick in the book where it comes to medicating dogs. The one I have used for a few years is perfect for getting my dog’s thyroid supplement in to her 2X/day. Roll it in a liverwurst meatball & toss it in the bowl with her breakfast & dinner meal
              Now I don’t find little pink pills all over the house, haha! Glad your pup continues to improve!

Pav, try not to over worry the blood type news but do take action where your immunity is concerned. The news about the virus changes almost daily so we just have to keep listening. I think I know what career I want in my next life, haha!! Hope your day was good!

Byrdie, I am so grateful we all have our heads on straight so we can be effective warriors against this virus!!! We will survive!!!

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Not much to report. We had friends over for a socially distant visit. These are VERY good friends who we haven't seen in four month. They ended up staying for 5 hours! We ordered pizza and just caught up - it was a MUCH needed visit. However, it was very cold outside - by the end we were all in a million layers with blankets and still freezing because we were sitting still. I can't tell you how much it made me feel better, though. I highly recommend...

Pauly, how's it going? Mr. G? We haven't heard from you two lately. I hope all is well.

Happy SOBER Friday,
                Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone.
                  I had a nice time at my friend's cabin, ate a lot and just hung out.

Thanks for the post about nursing Lav. I will stop feeling bad about not finishing. I obsess about the stupidest things sometimes and it drives me crazy.

Sounds like a good visit Pav. Can you imagine doing that here in winter? No way, lol. Actually it is beautiful here now, weather is 28C today (HOT).

Have a good one evabody.

Hi Pauly, G, Wags (glad your dog is healing), Ken, LC,

Don't drink today.
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                    I have A+ blood - I had forgotten about it, and now I have something to worry about!
                    Originally posted by Lavande View Post
                    try not to over worry the blood type news but do take action where your immunity is concerned.
                    I'm also A+ and don't think it is time to worry.
                    1. The data are from pre-prints that have not yet undergone rigorous peer review and publication.
                    2. The effects, compared to the general population, are very small and they are not calculating increased incidence, just increased 'risk', using complex statistical models.
                    The risk in the general population is set at 1.0 and the calculated risk in type A individuals is 1.16 (95% CI: 1.015, 1.333).
                    3. The added effect of including a positive Rh factor was statistically (and in my opinion, clinically) unimportant.

These observations might form the basis for follow-up studies but until/unless those identify increased incidence/severity in A+ individuals, I wouldn't be concerned. Plus, that is a variable we can't change, anyway. I agree with Lav - we should be concerned about our immune health. Evidence is emerging that vitamin D status may affect Covid19. Many of the populations most affected in terms of incidence and severity tend to be vitamin D-deficient. So, that is a controllable variable to consider. Some time (short of burning) in the sun everyday on a large area of unprotected skin likely does more good than harm.

I've always just gently pushed pills to the back of my dogs' throats and they've swallowed. I guess you have to have a non-biter for that to work!

Comment

Hola gang.

Quick fly by. All's well here. Working weekend for me.

Big waves to y'all. L8tr g8trs.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Lav is one happy camper today ~ got my hair cut!!!!
                        I feel SO much better I can’t tell you!

Pav, glad you had a good visit with friends!
                        Wish we had some of that cold air here, haha. Heading into a heatwave here for the next several days, yuck.

Nar, glad you had a good getaway! Sounds nice
                        We really shouldn’t waste energy on regrets. We certainly cannot change the past, right?

NS, that study came out of China I believe so I’m not going to take it as gospel. We sure do need more time to study & collect data from all over the world on this virus.
                        Speaking of vitamin D - I recently found out why my level was so low years ago when it was first checked. The DNA company that I used says I am genetically inclined to not utilize/make vitamin D normally. Well that was a surprise & the reason why I have to take 5000 iu or more daily just to keep my level within normal limits, go figure! The things we learn about ourselves!

Hi G, hope your work weekend is a good one!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning nesters

Such a busy week at work, it seems neverending but it keeps me busy and im grateful for a job and to work at home.

Hi Shades, lovely to see you and i hope you are well.

Belle, yes the desexing is much easier than the call to put our babies to sleep. I miss my mads so much some days and its been a year and a half but she will always be my girl. Cardi is booked in for Sunday to go in for desexing. she will have a sleep over and then get desexed on Monday. The vet really loved her and said due to her being so timid she was obviously neglected at some time. I think she was put outside and left there with no affection as she is the most affectionate girl and gets really upset if we go crook on her. Glad you and the fam are doing covid okay.

LC i am with you on the exercise front. I so love walking but i really have to talk myself into going and i just love being outside with carl. I have procrastinated for 3 days now, so today is the day.

Lav, i hope you are staying cool with all of that humidity. it sucks the life out of you. I did read about different blood types being more susceptible to covid. i am a B- so the blood people like me. I even managed to give plasma the other day without passing out. drank so much water and it did the trick though it feels so weird when the blood goes back in. I wanted to be a nurse but cant stand the sight of blood or vomit. blah!

Wags, i like the butter concept. Mads was on 3 pills, morning and night and she was so good 99% of the time, you would find the occasional one on the floor bless her.

Nar, glad to see you had a lovely time away. I would like to have a holiday but we are still all advised to stay put and our borders arent open.

Victoria has had a few cluster cases so we are being ostracised ha ha. We also have another loo paper pandemic happening. Why oh why do people want to buy toilet paper, covid doesnt cause the runs! I am getting new carpet in a week so need to clean my bedroom out and de clutter. Also have a performance review on Monday so will pop into work for a few hours.

I hope everyone stays well and safe. Take care xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Lav, my Vit D had been low for years and I take 8000 IU drops. The pills and capsules trigger a colitis flare. Just in the last 2 years, I’ve gotten my levels up to normal. I am convinced that it was a result of Turmeric. My theory is that it reduced inflammation and slowed down my gut through-put (motility.) My doc says that it just takes time to build up levels but I like my theory better. I was low for like, 8 years and then coincidently when I start taking Turmeric it straightens out? I’ve watched too much NCIS’s believe that’s just a coincidence! Ha!

I can hide Rubi’s pills in peanut butter, works well for her, she lives it. Good luck with Cardi and the surgery!

It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Hang in, everyone! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy un-hung Saturday morning here. Hope the weekend is treating all of you well so far. Just a quick fly-by to say all is well and to remind you that drinking is gross.

Do two things this weekend:

1. Something that is kind to someone else
                              2. Something that is kind to yourself

If you're a person who typically puts others' needs first, maybe reverse the order on that and put yourself first this time!

Take care everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good suggestions Wags. Have a rippa weekend over there. Hope u have some time off.

I've heard only good things about turmeric Byrdy. I take it daily. Dunno if i feel much different but maybe it's weaving some internal magic and keeping things rolling? Of course, ditching booze and smokes puts me way ahead of the game.

Congrat's on ur haircut Lav! New woman?

Big waves to y'all. No ticket to no freakin boozeville here.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X