Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings from the new & improved un-hairy Lav, haha!!!!

Thanks G, I do feel like a new person today. Hope your weekend is going well.

Byrdie, when we have gut issues things just aren’t absorbed well, you know this. I firmly believe we know ourselves better than any doc & know what works for us

Wags, I’ve had blackbean burgers on my mind for a few days SO I made some for dinner, I was kind to myself!!!

Ava, hope everything goes well with the surgery on Monday. Cardi is lucky to have found you. I have had dogs who would take any pill as long asit was wrapped up in a slice of cheese. Other dogs preferred peanut butter on a cracker with the pill hidden inside. My current dog is a liverwurst hound, haha!! So I have to buy a chunk every so often & use it for the dog meds because I don’t eat it, haha!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Talk of liverwurst jogged a memory - I had a friend whose mom made liverwurst sandwiches. I remember really liking them and also thinking they were exotic. I haven't had any in years and years... If anyone wants to give me a pill, slip it in a slice of pizza and I'll be good...

Yes, NS, we seem to be science light on these predictions about this disease. I'm not really worried in that regard. I just remember when I was young saying "at least my blood is one place where I have an A+" They won't take my blood donations any more because I lived in the UK during the mad cow scare. It has been over 30 years, so I hope I'm safe now. I did hear they were going to start taking it from us again - we'll see. Ava, do they need plasma more than blood?

Byrdie, how do you take turmeric? I put some in my smoothies but I only have those about once a week. Do you take a capsule? Has it helped your colitis?

Wags, I like your plan for the weekend. I have to try to remember that when I do something for myself (allow time for a puzzle, take a long hike) I'm not being "lazy" with my chores - I'm taking care of myself.

Speaking of - off to hit the trails today. What a wonderful feeling - still, after six years - to wake up unhung! I am so grateful.

Pav

Comment

Yes, Pav, I take a 538mg capsule every day. It has made a significant difference in my arthritis pain, and also my colitis. If I may be indelicate, a normal day for me would be to go 4-5 times and at least twice a week, to have cramps and diarrhea. In the past two years, I go about half as many times per day and only have cramps/diarrhea maybe once a month. It has been the most significant thing I’ve taken ( short of a steroid) to slow down my gut. My arthritis doc says my overall inflammation rate is less now than when I took hydroxycloroquin. So I’m thrilled with the life changing results! Sorry about the TMI.

106* heat index. We are cooking in our own juices! Dang, it’s hot. I made chocolate Whoopi pies today! Byrdie
        2CADD8B6-298E-4563-BD98-BB24D3B31DC2.jpg
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Just had a quick moving thunderstorm move thru as we were sitting down for dinner. It dropped the temp from 100 to 75 PDQ

Pav, hope you enjoyed your outdoor time today & hope it’s not as hot out there. I slow down to zero when it gets to be 100, ugh!

Byrdie, great to hear you have such good results from turmeric. Mother Nature can do some wonderful things
          Your whoopie pies looks marvelous. Next time I’m at the Amish store I have to sneak a pic of theie pies - yours look much nicer.
          I baked a small 6” cake today because I finally found a recipe for a small yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I’ll let yuo know if it was worth the effort. The smallest cake pan I have is 7” so mine is a touch shorter haha!

Hello to the whole nest & wishing everyone a safe & comfy night wherever you are!

Lav
          Last edited by Lavande; June 29, 2020, 05:09 PM.
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Afternoon nesters

So cold here this morning, sat in bed working with my beanie on thinking my hands were going to freeze up but it did end up a beautiful brisk fresh sunny day.

Cardi had her operation and is now home. she had her dew claws removed also as they were curling into her feet so she is sore and sorry for herself but is taking all the love we are giving her. Lucky for her it will be a vague memory in a few days. Not sure how i am going to get her to not jump for two weeks.

Had a visit from my eldest daughter which was lovely, we went and did a bit of shopping and just spent some time together.

Lav, i bet you look and feel a million bucks with a new haircut.

Pav, they tell me plasma can help a greater range of people than blood. i have a lot of neurology patients that have it for neuropathies so i feel i am contributing something. i have some lovely patients who need it.

Byrd oh yum they look lovely. i am trying to give up sugar again, i am sure its harder than al ha ha. How are your covid numbers going? We seem to be getting more hot spots in Victoria but not near me atm.

G, much admiration for running in this weather. I do love walking during the day, no clouds in the sky and some ME time.

Belle, i hope you and the fam are well.

take care and be safe xx
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good Monday evening Nesters,

Quite a slow day in the nest, hope everyone is A-OK

Nothing new here still hot & humid & still 86 degrees at 6 pm.
              Ava, can we trade some weather, Please? Haha. Glad Cardi is thru her surgery & back home. Sh ewill heal quickly with your love & attention.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning nesters, Byrdie those look really good! I take a turmeric supplement too but hafta be careful cuz it lowers iron BUT the benefits I've felt from the turmeric outbeat my concern seems to help my perimenopause symptoms a bit, Ava, glad Cardi is home doing well waves to all and wishes for a wonderful day!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

I couldn't get on the site yesterday - seems to be ok here.

Lav, we have the Pacific Ocean as natural air conditioner, so it RARELY gets very hot here. We do have micro-climates though. I work a bit more inland, so it is not unusual for me to leave work with the temperature in the low 80s and get home nearer the coast and have it be 63 and foggy. I actually would prefer it to be in the 80s, but I don't want 100, so I'm good...

Pauly, do you take turmeric for inflammation? I'm going to look into it. That is quite an endorsement, Byrdie.

Not much new here. Happy unhung Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Took advantage of the restaurants reopening at limited capacity & met two old friends for lunch. So nice to get together after all these months in lockdown. The place only had one other table occupied that I could see so it felt safe

Pauly, iron interferes with absorption of other meds & supplements. You need to spread them apart for the best effect.
                    Anything with an anti inflammatory effect makes me feel better too

Pav, no ocean breezes here for me, haha! It’s awesome to have natural air conditioning. We’ve been tiptoeing near the 100 degree mark for several days & we always have lots of humidity here, yuck. This is one of the reasons I have to keep my hair short or else, haha!

Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Pauly, odd you should say that about Turmeric, I tend to have too much iron in my blood, believe it or not. Leave it to me to have every oddball body function.
                      So my niece had her baby shower Sunday and as you may recall, I declined to go and felt super guilty (sis is a master of guilt). I called yesterday and she said they had a very nice time, but now they are all extremely concerned that they weren’t as careful as they’d planned. They were going to have one person serve the food and everyone sit outside, apart. Instead, there was hugging, most sat inside and almost no one wore a mask. My nephew applauded my decision not to go, which made me feel better. There were 26 people there. Yikes. I hope and pray they all stay healthy. I’m so glad I stuck to my guns. I’ve had enough regret for a lifetime!
                      Not much going on here, my mission in life at the moment, is to find Clorox wipes.
                      How’s the toilet tissue doing in Oz, Available? We’re not wiped out anymore, but paper towels are scarce.
                      Hope everyone has a safe, sober evening!
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi everyone,

Somehow the past few days just flew by! We are getting ready for our little escape to the cabin by the river and because I'll be working right up until the day we leave, I've started packing a bit already. That's not my usual style - I'm typically one for doing things at the last minute (not super stressed out though). We are SO looking forward to a change of scenery, and I'm excited to be by a river with whitewater - love the sound!

Byrdie - those whoopie pies looked delicious, although I'm surprised with your heat that they didn't melt. I've heard good things about turmeric and based on your endorsement I'm going to give it a try. I have neck and back pain from the two car accidents and this sounds like it might bring some noticeable relief.

Lav - hooray on the haircut, and glad to hear you were able to enjoy a meal with friends. We won't be venturing into any restaurants any time soon, but we did go for a socially distanced walk with a good friend over the weekend. Jealous about your black bean burgers again!

Pav - an ocean breeze as AC sounds wonderful!

Hellos and waves to G, Nar, NS, Pauly, Ava, Julia, and everyone else stopping by the nest. Happy almost July (can you believe it!)!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hello Nesters. I haven't been around for so long. Good to see familiar faces. I hope that everyone is doing well. We are hanging in there.

I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I am so grateful to everyone here. I'm going to try to read back but just in case I get sidetracked again, I wanted to say hello first.

:checkin:
                          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Morning nesters, Byrdie, when you first talked about not attending the baby shower I thought you were overeacting cuz I THOUGHT by now this crap would be done with, who'd have known that by now it'd have gotten worse! Wise woman you, I'm glad you trusted your gut Pav, I get chronic headaches from a weird neck kink that my chiro thinks I got as a kid, the x-ray basically shows a C shaped neck, instead of being straight like regular people, anyways I was basically living off Advil for a few years and got worried so I started the turmeric/bromelain combo and have only had to take the occasional Advil since, only during TOM or if I sleep on my neck weird, seems also to help sleep and mood? So I'll stick with it Nora, good to see you:welldone: come back lady! Waves to the gang and wishes for a fabulous AF day!!!
                            Last edited by paulywogg; July 1, 2020, 08:46 AM.
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

So nice to see you, [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION] - thanks for dropping in. What's going on with you??

Wow, Lav, a restaurant is a bold move...but I'm glad you saw your friends. It feels so good to actually SEE people.

Byrdie - you were so right not to go to the shower. I'm sorry they're feeling regret and I hope they are all ok. 26 people is a lot!

Wags, I am jealous of your trip. Enjoy!

I have had three night social distant events (no more than 6 people). In the past I would have had drinks at every one and had hangovers or at least a lack of sleep. I am so very grateful that I can have weeknight events and not worry about anything. I can drive home, get a good night's sleep, and still feel like I had a mini-vacation.

Happy SOBER hump day.
                              Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Canada Day Everyone.

Everyone sounds good. We are going to celebrate distantly today.

I have gone to a couple of restaurants over the past few weeks and it has been very enjoyable. I miss that the most I think.
                                I had to take my MIL for a shoe fitting the other day and the mall was packed! So many people were walking around with no masks, I could not believe it. What a recipe for disaster. I kept my mask on and got the h. out of the mall when our fitting was done.

My daughter has been a bit cranky lately, I try not to take it personally but sometimes it is hard when we are in the same house. I keep reminding myself that "it is not about me", she is going through some stuff. I remember being like that in my 20's.

So nice not having to try and moderate on Canada Day. Grateful to be sober.

have a good one everybody.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X