Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Pav, our officials told us if we were in a reasonably sound structure to stay put. There was very limited space in shelters. He said out nester bet was to stay at a hotel or with friends/relatives you trust. It was stress on top of stress. Many on our island still don’t have power. It’s so hot, I feel really bad for them.
    Narilly, your picnic sounds fun! Toting booze around wasn’t fun, it’s heavy!
    yes, looking back at photos, ugg! I cringe.
    Hope everyone has a happy day. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

What a difference 24 hrs makes! Sunny & warm here, just a regular summer day!
      Lots of people in our area will be without power for a few days, sad. The people on our corner, 1 house down across the road have been running a generator all night & all day today, crazy.
      I picked up a big pile of sticks today, everything else was fine.

Byrdie, you were in my thoughts all day yesterday, glad everything is OK

Pav, my chicken have muddy feet today haha! They don’t like being cooped up long so I let them out to play in the mud.
      I think we’re all fortunate that we don’t have the burden of AL to deal with right now. I just read than a person dies of Covid every 80 seconds in the US. News like this blows my mind, I just can’t imagine. We all need to remain alert & be aware!!!

Nar, your day plan sounds nice. I hope you enjoyed yourselves

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello. Gosh, life feels dramatic right now, huh? Every 80 seconds....

Byrdie, so glad you have power and are ok. It must be a lot of anxiety living where you do this time of year. How we ever handled an alcohol problem on top of non-alcohol problems is beyond me. It was a lot of work avoiding life!

My husband agreed to counseling. This is a big step. I really don't know what the future holds for us, but I do know that life is too short to ignore stuff and be unhappy.

Hang in there everyone. This will not last forever.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Way to make that step, Kensho. I hope you find what you're looking for with your partner.

I have a friend in NYC without power for 24 hours and she's VERY hot... Glad you had no huge damage, Byrdie. I hope you're taking care of yourself as that must be so stressful.

I had a drinking dream. I was on my way to have a shot of vodka and then got diverted and had to do something else. While I was doing that something else, I remembered that I don't drink and shouldn't have that vodka. I was disappointed because I really wanted that QUICK release, and then relieved that I wouldn't have to come here and tell you all I drank. I jumped out of vacation into working too much with no Pav care. I need to remember that balance is important!

Happy SOBER Thursday!
          Pav

Comment

PAV, I think ignoring self care is one of the biggest causes of alcohol addictions.

It's funny... my husband asked us "What do you think the meaning of life is?". My 10 yr. old daughter said, "To have fun and enjoy life." (Similar to what her dad said). My son said "To make an impact on the world and then leave". I said, "To listen to ourselves, and do the work to grow and learn the lessons we have in this life." They all glazed over at my response, of course. But I think it shows that we all have very different thoughts on what our priorities are. Becoming sober has forced me to listen to me, and it has certainly shaped my opinion.

SO glad you didn't drink for real PAV. Can't we just sever those neural pathways for good? I guess they serve some purpose.

I have to go to the city again today (UG!), but hope to finalize some selections for two clients and get their products ordered. I had planned to take tomorrow off with my kids and take them for a hike. They want to sit in front of youtube watching other people live their lives if I don't direct them otherwise. It takes a LOT of effort to encourage them to find other things to do - but I'm trying. We moved to full-online school now, so this challenge will continue. It is a blessing in disguise that I don't have a huge custom house at the moment because I think the kids will need me. I wish my husband would understand how hard it is to do my stuff and keep them on track.

Anyway, hope everyone we are not hearing from is doing well. Have a good day!
            Last edited by KENSHO; August 6, 2020, 09:31 AM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy UnHung Thursday everyone!

I just read than a person dies of Covid every 80 seconds in the US.
              HOLY CRAP!! That is So scary. Please stay safe all my American friends. I guess all of us have to stay on our toes with this virus, mask up, keep our distance and try and listen to public health people.

Ken, my hubby and I have gone through a lot of hard times in our relationship. About 10 years ago he had a total metltdown and had an affair, we were separated for 6 months, it was horrible. We reconciled after that, went to tons of counselling and now our relationship is really good. We go to a couples conference here in Lake Louise every year. It is called the Rocky Mountain Couples conference and that has been amazing for our relationship. We still have to work at it though, marriage is definitely not easy and sometimes it really sucks.

Pav, those drinking dreams are scary, thank goodness there are only dreams. I had a sex dream last night which was really weird...I guess its better than a drinking dream, lol.

Glad things are fine at your place Lav and the chickens are happy

Byrdie, I have been thinking of you.

Yeah, my 10 minute walk to the river was actually 40minutes (big underestimation) and it was +30C, I barely made it to the river but then the swim was really nice. Next time we will ride our bikes! My swim is nothing like G's swim in the ocean, our river called The Bow is fed by the mountains so it is pretty cool. It was very refreshing though.

Well, off to walk my dogs and enjoy the day. Love being UN Hung!

Don't drink today, its Gross. Right Pauly?
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Not much going in here. I did have to go pick up my dog’s thyroid med refill, haha! They left it in a box on the front porch of the vet office. Things are just so weird these days.
                Sitting outside enjoying a nice cool breeze for a change.

Kensho, I hope the counseling is helpful for both of you!
                My granddaughter has been doing weekly online camps this summer. This week it’s Space Camp & thye have some pretty good topics & crafts to do.

Pav, the dreams are annoying but they do serve a purpose, right? They may be reminders or warnings, we should listen to the message :hug:

Narilly, we are trying to stay healthy here - at least the vast majority of us are trying. There’s a huge number of foolish (ignorant) people slowing down our forward progress though. I can’t imagine what they think they will accomplish by continuing to spread the virus. Just stupid! Glad you enjoyed your river swim, sounds nice.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning, Nest:

Originally posted by narilly View Post
                  marriage is definitely not easy and sometimes it really sucks.
                  Ain't that the truth, Nar. I remember my friend from college got married a lot sooner than I did - he said something like "you think it's going to be a nice float down the river, but you're in a canoe rowing hard the whole time." Good thing that sometimes marriage is really great, too! My husband is a little challenged by all that is going on. I am trying so hard to be patient and loving, but sometimes I just want to throw a glass of cold water on his face and tell him to snap out of it. Not very kind and loving thoughts, but at least I haven't done it yet!

Mr. G, Ava and Steady - I hope you're prepared for that serious lockdown! We did that ok here for a while but then I guess people wouldn't wear masks and stay put. Such a mess here. I hope you get it right.

I am so glad it is Friday, although I am facing one of those days with no blank spaces in my calendar. I am still having trouble focusing fully at work - I get distracted easily and my mind wanders. If need be I can follow up with some things tomorrow - what else am I doing?

Take care of yourselves, Nest, and don't drink no matter what.

Pav

Comment

River swims are my favorite NARILY! So refreshing, and typically cleaner water! Thanks for sharing your experiences with marriage. Gives me some hope.

PAV, the good news about those "no break" days is that they can fly by. Hope you get to a relaxing evening in no time.

I'm taking today off work, mostly. The house is a mess and I will get the kids to help with that. But first, while it is still cooler temps, I have planned a hike with them. They are whining a little, but I know they will love getting out in nature. They always do. It's a "quality time with kids" and also "something to feed mom's soul" day. I need more of them.

Otherwise, I'm just putting one foot in front of the other. The only way through a shitty time in history is through, right Nest? Trying to imagine all the good things that can come from our nation's current imbalance.

Best to all, don't drink.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone.

Yes, times are certainly weird. I have got my mask and am going to the market. I love going there as I am a bit of a social butterfly. I know everyone and like to chat, it is fun.

Ken, you are very welcome. We all have our stories about marriage and there is always hope. Sometimes you want to throw cold water in their face like Pav says, we all have those moments. You are not alone in this. I hope your counsellor is good, there is nothing worse than a bad counsellor. Don't be afraid to change to a new one if this one doesn't suit you.

Have a good one everybody xo.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Currently having a thunder storm with tons of rain & several tornado warnings in nearby areas, geez!
                        This hasn’t been an easy week for anyone!

Pav, I highly advise no water throwing if at all possible, haha! I know the feeling though, honestly.
                        I hope today was easier for you than you than you thought

Kensho, my kids were never very helpful with housework although bribes generally worked.
                        I hope your day was a good one!

Narilly, like you I love to chat with people at the market, why not?

Waiting for this storm to pass then I’ll sit down with my sewing machine again for a little while. Trying to keep myself useful & away from the fridge, Lol

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Byrdie and Lav - sorry to hear of the major storms you've both been experiencing, but glad that you've been able to stay safe without too much damage. I can't imagine how places will handle some of the worst of the hurricanes, with such difficult aspects around where people will go if evacuating is necessary

Kensho - that's wonderful that your husband is willing to try counseling, and I hope you find a truly good one as well. I can't remember if you've mentioned this, but do your kids have an idea about what's going on? My heart goes out to you and I'm so glad you're solid in your quit. Drinking will do nothing but make this challenging time worse!

Nar - your river swim sounds awesome!!! There's something about cool/cold moving water coming right from the mountains that is so refreshing. Hopefully you weren't super hot again by the time you walked all the way home. There's a big difference between 10 and 40 minutes!

NS - I hope your upcoming getaway is relaxing and restorative. I'm a bit jealous that you were able to get a haircut though!

Things are moving along pretty steadily here these days. Our pup went to doggie daycare for 5-6 hours and my wife and I took a really long bike ride. Now we're all back home and pleasantly tired from our respective days.

Hellos and waves to everyone here in the nest. Hope you have fantastic weekends!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning!
                            Just wanted to come by for a visit. Great to see all the usual suspects. I had visited with the Byrd lady, making sure she hadn't been blown away, got me thinking about the forum.
                            All is as well as to be expected during these trying times.
                            On August 5th 2014 I was born again hard! Giving me 6 years of AF living. Despite my lack of involvement in these rooms I am forever indebted and grateful beyond words for this group. I went back and read some of my initial post and was overwhelmed with emotions. It reminded me of some of the shenanigans I pulled to "hide" my drinking and prove to my wife that I could "moderate".
                            My darkest days have been my greatest and loyal allies.
                            One of my favorite quotes of all time.

It's Africa hot in the great state of Texas. The month of August around these parts is like the gates of hell.

Stay hard freaks!
                            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Yo Matt!

Congrat's on 6 years! Huuuuge stuff. Great to see you again. Glad you're good. Staying hardcore over here. Love that quote.

Take it easy nester's near and not so far. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

[MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] thanks my brother! Looks like you are holding your own as well. Did I see that you were creeping up on 2 years?
                                AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Working...
                                X