Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Flying by for a quick goodnight. Got my dad's car taken car of. It turned out to be relatively minor, and has already been repaired, so that's a relief. I had an unexpected afternoon off today due to students not feeling well, so we took care of a few pre-winter tasks on our home to-do list. It always feels good to get a few things checked off, even though they might not sound fun at the time.

Lav - thanks for sharing that daily OM. I like the message a lot, and will be tucking this away for future reference.

Anjicia and Nar - I agree, that video was really good. Thanks for sharing that as well.

Hard to believe we're on the downhill side of this week already. Happy Thursdays everyone!
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning and thanks for those word Lavende very uplifting in these times. Well more rain here are we ever far away from it here lol. Yesterday turned out like a spring day lovely mild sunshine till late afternoon when it starts to cool down. going to visit my sister again. No great news yet on my brother in law they are working on bloods so amputation put off or hopefully may not go ahead for now. i sometimes wonder do out medical profession and top staff really know what they are doing or wonder drug they are trying on patients? anyway lets not go there its bad enough with covid 19 and now more fires in the USA. Anyone in Oregan or near by please be safe and the poor wild life animals flora and fauna that will be destroyed or killed off as it the world is not bad enough all around. Well more lockdowns here some of our country has been to level 4 the rest on level 3 with strictions further res till November 10th. Wagnor good to get those mundane jobs out of the way and to get your dads car sorted. Narilly Pavati and anyone else around have a good day. Belle are you doing ok check in and let us or just keep in touch even if you are drinking or winding down i have been there. Sorry if i missed anyone x
      Last edited by Guest; October 15, 2020, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Hi, all:

Wow, that is so terrible about your brother in law, Anj. What a weird and terrible disease. I hope for a good outcome for him and your sister. And thanks for the link - I'll take a look at it tonight. Other people have recommended that book to me - I should check it out.

I am IN for crafting and chickens. My job is for kids but ultimately it is about managing adults, and adults can be so FRUSTRATING! :egad: It is like a giant dance where everyone has different music, I am everyone's partner, and I have to somehow make them all feel and look good. JUST so we can get down to business... The good news is that I actually think I am good at it, so while we may not win any awards, mostly we're going through the moves without it looking too bad (to extend an already weird metaphor too far...)

We are going away again for the weekend - down to visit our son. We'll stay in a motel and eat outside where ever that may be - the weather is supposed to cooperate. I am looking forward to getting out of here!

Happy SOBER Thursday. Almost to Friday!
        Pav

Comment

Hey, nesters!
          Anj, that’s sad news about your BIL, how scary. I’m hoping for the best possible outcome for him. I’m so glad you are staying strong, great work on taking care of yourself.
          Sis called last night and was asking me if we are going to have Thanksgiving next month. I told her that I haven even gone to doctor’s appointments so I just don’t feel like getting together is a good idea. She understood, but still made me feel guilty. What an awful year this has been for so many. It will be lonely spending these holidays without the gatherings. As I told her, skipping this year will allow for many to come.
          Lav, a wonderful article there. A little confidence goes a long way in the sober fight. If I got through today, I can get through tomorrow. Rinse and repeat. Thank you for sharing that.
          Tomorrow is already Friday, where is the time going? I hope everyone is having an easy day. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good Friday eve Nesters!

This week has really flown by quickly! Probably a good sign, haha!
            I’m busy crafting, voting is off my mind now since my mail-in ballot was received & counted. I just need to stay focused & get things done. My allergies are not making things easy, LOL

Wags, that was good news on the car, yay!
            I have a mental list of things that need to be done before winter gets here too. Expecting rain all day tomorrow so I’ll be inside & not taking care of garden stuff.

Anjicia, that’s hopeful news for your brother-in-law. There’s so much they can do these days to stave off amputations. My dad had arterial bypass grafts done to save his legs from peripheral vascular disease.
            The Covid lockdowns are nasty but necessary in the long run I think.

Pav, lucky you getting away for the weekend. Have fun!

Byrdie, I read the DailyOM email every single day & I think they help a lot. Someone here at MWO told me about it when I first started out & I’m still reading it daily. Sign yourself up!!
            I think I’m going to take a pass on the holiday myself. I still can’t get my family together anyway (pre-covid stuff). There’s just no point in it this year, maybe next year?

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello everyone, late check in today.
              ‘Self-trust coupled with a sturdy plan is the ultimate antidote to adversity’s tendency to inspire disillusionment in the human mind.’
              Thanks Lav, this was good.

Pav, enjoy your weekend.
              Daily OM email? What is that? I probably should know but am drawing a blank right now.

Anj. nice to see you.

Wags, good news about the car.

It is getting COLD here. We have a weather warning, very cold northerly winds are blowing in tomorrow with snow. Time to get the warm coats and turtlenecks out.

3BOW hope you are doing well.

Have a good one everybody. No swimming outdoors for me...lucky you G.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All:

Byrdie - in my job I get weekly briefings from Public Health. What they said yesterday was that this next wave is going to come from people getting tired of isolation and becoming lose with family and friends - like big Thanksgiving dinners. You are wise to skip. We are trying to figure out if we can have something outside - I think it is unlikely to be the meal as we know it, but I hope we can do something. There are only 8 of us on one side and 12 on the other. We can stay 6 feet apart in our yard (by pod). We'll see...

Nar - brace yourself for the cold! I don't get the daily OM email, that's someone else. Lav?

Kensho - hope the smoke and fires you're experiencing are calming down.

Happy SOBER Friday. Thank goodness I don't drink!

Pav

Comment

Hi Nest! Crisp and colorful Colorado day here... but it does smell like smoke. Our fire is the largest in state history. It just won't calm down! We know two families under mandatory evacuation.

Times do feel strange and tumultuous now. Lots of good and lots of "very difficult to grasp".

Lav, I loved the OM you posted. Very positive, and for the big picture, I think it's right on.

I have new projects and am moving right along... wondering what this winter might be like holed up inside. PAV, I also heard that the biggest threat right now is the small indoor gatherings... just like Thanksgiving. We do plan to drive to AZ to visit my husband's parents, and they don't seem to care much about regulations. I told my husband about the recommendations and he said, well, it's just us and it would mean a lot to them... and I said "yes, but that is what every other family is saying." He does like to follow only the rules that are convenient to him. Though I truly love his rebel spirit, I sure don't want to risk his family's health (or ours).

Anyhow... I saw a show last night where a person had a bottle in the seat next to them while driving. My brain immediately imagined what sipping on whisky tasted like and felt like when driving. My brain said, that sounds good. Yikes! I don't want all the other things that go with drinking for me, so I'll pass. No good outcome there. Those vivid memories came rushing back and it took me by surprise though, so I'd better be a bit more present in my daily sobriety practice.

Wags, glad the car issue was minor. Win for the week!

Anji, nice to see you.

Narily, don't forget the slippers! I long for cold, blustery weather for some reason.

Off to work. Lots to get done today. Love to all.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone.

Holeee Shite....winter is coming. It is still a balmy 0 C so I am going for a walk.

Yikes is right Ken. That lizard brain will always be with us. Lucky you don't drink and quickly quashed those thoughts. Yeah, my slippers are keeping my feet warm- come up here Ken, we have lots of cold weather on the way! (but you will have to quarantine for two weeks which would be a bummer)

Pav, the next wave is scary. We are worried here too because we have to stay indoors a lot more when the weather gets cold and are not sure what is going to happen.

Hello Anj, keep coming back.

Have a super excellent Friday everyone. I am going to the market after my walk which is a very social thing I love to do. We have to wear masks indoors here and it feels pretty safe most of the time.

xo one Day at a Time- don't drink today.
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Evening all cool here but some nice days with sunshine and temps not too low yet. No snow forecast for now but we don,t get every year but we do get bad frost and Ireland has a damp cold climate unlike crisp winter days in other countries. I swept up some leaves outside this morning and made a start of trimming back the shrubs in the raised beds down in the courtyard i share with 2 other homes. The more i tried to sweep up the leaves i swear the wind blew more back lol its wasn't too windy and it looked better than when i started. Got out for a short cycle today i had to go a store not too far from my home and traffic was not busy at about 4 in the afternoon when i set out. kensho so you live in Colorado? beautiful state i was nearly going to visit Denver next year but going to wait till i have more money saved and see how this awful pandemic goes. I am sick of it here and a lot of us are. We are on phase 3 with a few northern counties on phase 4. We have very strict visiting policy no home visiting or garden gatherings. Only 6 outside and no one can visit sick or loved ones in nursing homes or hospitals. Masks are mandatary on public transport shops and malls and less people allowed at a time in stores so more quequeing. Halloween is banned so no trick or treating or parties for the little ones. I have no kids so that does not affect me. Where will it ever end or get back to some kind of normal? Ah sure what can we do with the govererments we have and it seems making it up as they go along. Have a good evening all xxx

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Rained most of the day, now it’s just damp & chilly. Thinking about the fireplace haha!
                        Turns out I have my younger grandson for the weekend again, at his request.

Narilly, I hope you don’t actually get snow this early. Stay warm & have a good weekend!

Pav, I’m just not planning any family gatherings. No plans so no disappointments as far as I’m concerned. Yuo should sign up for the DailyOM emails, I think you’d like them

Kensho, glad you’re keeping busy with work & other things. I feel like time is flying all if a sudden. Maybe I’m just looking forward to the end of 2020, haha!
                        Grateful we can recognize stupid thoughts for what they are & not act on them anymore!!

Anjicia, do you know anyone un Colorado or are you interested in seeing the sights? Travel is going to have to wait for all of us I think. We have a 2 1/2 acre lot so we don’t even try to rake leaves. They get pulverized with a lawn tractor & act as a feed for the lawn.

Hello to the rest of The group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hola nesters,

All ok here. it is spring and yesterday was an absolute pearler!

0 C sounds very balmy Narilly! In fact, i'd likely still dive into the ocean there or a lake. Crisp and fresh like Colorado......ok, not quite. But i'd be gittin my Wim Hof vibe on. A cold shower a day keeps the doctor away says Wim.

Some overdue house tidying right now as i have a guest coming over to record some vocals for one of my songs. Sheesh! talk about opening a can of worms. Rediscovered some cool things, like clothes, old instruments hidden away. I've got 2 hours till he arrives. On track. Best git crackin'.

Take care out there. Living sober has been the best gift i have given. To myself and others.

Big waves and love to all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning all. I am going out this afternoon with a meetup group for a walk along Killiney and the hill park which is a lovely scenic park and hill with nature and awesome views from the top over Killiney bay and the beach. Lots of folklore and history in hte area. Oh and Bono the Edge Enya and a few Holly actors and film producers have mansions in the area very up market and posh and far from i was raised lol but born not far from the area but now a desirable part of Dublin to live. Not when i was growing up lol. Narilly how did the market trip go? i love going to markets we have one every Sunday in my town. Full of food stalls organic fruit and veg crafts hand crated jewellery and coffee snacks etc. its always busy more so in the summer or good weather and long queues for food. It was stopped for a while during covid and back again but spread out more but little or no social distancing. II don't let that bother i wear my mask covid is here to stay i wear my mask where its mandatary and try social distancing otherwise we would have no life. More bad news on that we may be in for a 6 week phase 5 lock down. Not good news to hear and the fallout will be devastating. Anyway i don't want be doom and gloom but we can't escape it. Its all over news and the media. Hi to all sorry i can't mention everyone but good to read back over posts. Mr G i went tru a clearout recently it amazing what crap and junk builds up lol good with the music vocals that sounds like a cool away to spend a day. To everyone else have a super sober Saturday xxx
                            Last edited by Guest; October 17, 2020, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Hey, nesters. It’s cool and crisp here, 64° A perfect fall day.
                              The lunch gods weren’t with me today, I scorched our one dish feast. Dang it. It was ok, but I’m very disappointed. Never walk away from high heat.
                              Not much to report here, just happy to be heathy and sober! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Lavande i know one man on face book he might meet me if i got there not sure. I just want to do sight seeing red rocks trail and outdoor concert venue is a must see even there if is no music on, The small town of Morrison looks good and whatever Denver has to offer. Yes who knows when i can leave Ireland and travel abroad again sure i can't even leave Dublin for now. See what next year brings. I would like to go to New york but i will see either Denver of New York but its a pipe dream for now lol. Well the walk group with the group went well today even tho we got some drizzy rain. Nice bunch of people and some good chat and few laughs. Well have a pleasant Saturday evening not much else to report here. Watching tv with one my male cats asleep beside me. xw
                                Last edited by Guest; October 17, 2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X