Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Pitch dark at 6:45 pm geez! Although I do like getting the chickens tucked in early, Lol
    Nothing exciting here, made a pot of dairy free mushroom soup & baked 2 sourdough baguettes. We plowed through one in about 5 minutes, yum.

Pav, we actually do have a tread mill, a weight bench & some other equipment here but I rarely bother unless there’s someone around to talk to, haha! My grandsons love to get on the machines so we take turns. Just put your equipment near a TV, it takes your mind off what you’re doing

Narilly, it really sounds like you got hit hard with winter!
    Stay warm, bake stuff, make soup, that’s what I do & stay inside.

Hello & welcome walktothewater, glad you decided to drop in the nest!
    Congrats on your 10 AF weeks, great start!! I remember feeling awfully scared & alone when I first quit. I couldn’t imagine how I was going to manage a brand new life without my ‘old friend’. Turns out there was no need for that worry. I found lots of friends here, great company & learned the power of gratitude. Believe it or not you will begin to feel grateful that you no longer have that weight on your back. Change doesn’t happen overnight but it definitely happens. Stick around, check in daily & let us know how you’re doing!

Byrdie, I would pull myhair out trying to organize all those beads, haha! You would probably have a coronary if you saw my workspace, Lol. It’s a mess but I know where everything is when needed

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Nar - even though it's chilly here, it's hard to imagine snow already! Yes, the temp conversion still works for negative numbers, but it still just gives you a ballpark conversion number. For example, if it's -10 C, you can double that (-20) and then add 30 (back up to +10) and you'd get 10 F. The actual conversion is more like 14 F, but again if you're just trying to get an approximation it's close enough for most uses.

Pav - your ideas for winter sounds great! I'll be sure to let you know which exercise program we decide to do next.

Byrdie - just the thought of trying to organize all of those beads gives me a headache. It's so interesting to me with tasks like that to see how people can be so different: for some people that task would be a breeze, like exactly how their minds work and a puzzle they find fun, while for others (*raises hand) that would be a nightmare to create, let alone maintain. I'd say enjoy them however works best for you.

Lav - I love the suggestion of putting the treadmill and tv or other screen near each other. I used to do that on a stationary bike (with a laptop) - watching videos or shows helped the time pass much more quickly. I suppose it could work with audiobooks as well, although the visual is probably nice for most people.

Hellos and waves to everyone stopping by the nest this weekend. Don't drink!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Welcome, Walk. I was so so so afraid to quit drinking. I thought life would be no more fun and no one would want to be my friend anymore since all of my friends are big drinkers. I was very wrong. It took a while for me to remember who I was, but I kept connecting here, reading and learning about sobriety. You will never regret it! Did I read your post correctly that it is 10 weeks with some slips in there? In my reading I have discovered that it is length of time without any alcohol when your brain starts to re-wire itself. Feed it at all and you're essentially starting from scratch. On the other hand, drinking only a few times in 10 weeks is a lot better than drinking every day. What do you think it would take for you to quit for a longer period? Quit for good? For me it was acceptance - I knew I couldn't drink and have the life I wanted, so I had to accept I couldn't drink. Then plan life accordingly. We're here to support you whatever you need!

Byrdie - I totally get your feelings. I think you made the right choice. The level of disease is going up in your state and the health officials say this next wave will be fueled by people getting quarantine fatigue and being with friends and family because they "seem" safe. But no one wants to be excluded... Good luck with those beads.

Nar - however you do the math, that is COLD. I can't really imagine, although I am sure you all have good coats and boots, and double paned windows. Stay warm! What do you do for exercise in the winter? I remember swimming... Anyone else? Favorite winter exercise?

I have a small place, so any exercise equipment will be in a little basement room, but I get wifi there - we'll see. I'm afraid to spend so much. money. I'm worth it, and I would have to commit. That's pretty hard for me.

Happy SOBER Saturday. I have a lot of house chores and probably a hike in my future.

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Saturday everybody.

Hello Walk, being sober is hardest at the beginning I think. After awhile it won't feel so lonely. Try and make some sober friends here and in person, join a club or take a cooking class or exercise class. Anything that does not involve drinking. I know it is more difficult now because of Covid but it is better than drinking. You know it took me a long time to try and quit. I tried to moderate from the time I was 18 till I was 50 and it Never worked. Keep going you are worth it, the lonliness will pass and Keep coming back.
          There is a ton of support here, we have all had different experiences but we have a common goal which is to stay sober.

Way to go Byrdie, I think you made the best choice. Now is not the time to be around a bunch of people who are drinking.

Tucking the chickens in early sounds so quaint Lav. It seems like it is getting dark way to soon these days.
          Wags, thanks for the math lesson. That makes a lot of sense and I am going to use that calculation a lot. Right now it is -12C which is around 6F according to the calculation (actually it is 10F but whatevs, its close enough!)

So I am going for a walk in the snow. It has been snowing a lot , we probably got about a foot of snow out there. Yes, Pav, the boots, coat, sweater, mits, tooks, we wear it all. It's all good. My big parka's zipper broke yesterday and That was a big deal. I have to take it in and get a new heavy duty zipper put on it. Nobody wants a zipper problem when it is this cold. I am sure everyone in warmer places Never has to think about stuff like that. It is interesting though.

I have been watching this show called Kingdom on Netflix. It is about a family who has a mixed martial arts gym and it is surprisingly good. It is amazing how much they drink and abuse drugs in this show, everytime they are drinking I kinda cringe. It is good to watch it and know that I DO NOT DRINK. Yay!!

Now I am off to walk in the snow (since I cannot jump into the ocean like some people here GMan

Do not drink today- One day at a time everybody:heartbeat:
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hey Walk, how’s it going today? Hope you are having an easy day. Funny how one day can be so bad and the next, not so much. I never had two bad days in a row (mercifully). Hang in.
            It’s a beauty of a day here. I have a hot date with some weeds out back. If this were 10 years ago, I’d have started drinking at 10:30am and trying not to pass out. So much for being able to control it. Hard to believe how incredibly powerful addiction is. I knew I shouldn’t drink, but I did it anyway. Some days, I just prayed I could ration it enough to keep the buzz without acting drunk. I was only fooling myself. Hubs said he could always tell by my eyes. When I look back at pictures, I can tell, too. Ugg. Those weren’t the days.
            Happy Sattidy, all. Hugs, Byrdie
            Last edited by Byrdlady; October 24, 2020, 01:25 PM.
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you for your kind words, Pavati, Byrdlady and Narilly.

Byrdlady, I also was someone who sometimes started drinking as early as before lunch, 1100 am some days. I am glad I am no longer a slave to alcohol but my anxiety is very bad for reasons I'd rather not get into here, but basically due to living with an elderly parent who basically hates me (understandably from her point of view, given my carry on in recent years). Our relationship was not always this bad, in fact it used to be basically fine.
              Last edited by walktothewater; October 24, 2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

morning nesters

Belle that is appalling about your counsellor. i hope you put a bad review on her site. I have a brilliant psychologist who just puts everything into perspective for me and lets me download every 2-3 weeks. she is a godsend for me keeping my sanity. Our lockdown has been going on for months and months so we are pretty much up with safety etc, though we still get the covidiots that only think of themselves. Its just a sign of respect to wear a mask when out shopping (and compulsory) but i cant wear one when walking but i do have one in case i pass anyone. who knows what the humans will do when the hot weather hits. I am not a beach person so i will be fine. If it turns to shit we only have ourselves to blame but of course will blame someone else.

Kensho, i go into the hospital about once per week. We have an app that we have to do before we enter and get temp checked and 100% mask wearing at all times. our patients are allowed 1 visitor per day now for an hour. all staff have an app that tracks their movements within the hospital also in case we get any cases reported. thankfully now we have covid more under control it will lessen a little.

Lav, i love watching documentaries on the Amish, they live such simple lives. glad that you did show them about covid and its repercussions.

Nar, swimming in Melbourne weather does not do it for me, let alone in your cold. a nice heated pool for me, now if i could find one nice and close!

Walk, great work on 10 weeks sober, getting sober involves so many changes to our lives and all we can do is take one day at a time. MWO was my saviour when i first got sober, its nice when everyone understands what an alcoholic is. You can do this. Does your parent know you have stopped drinking? For me, my relationship with my mother was crap before i stopped drinking and now over the years has gotten better. I refuse to drink AT her now and i will not let her manipulate me and make me feel guilty. She had a power over me but not anymore, i walk away or ignore her comments. Our relationship is a lot better but it has taken years to get to here. If in doubt, walk away. No one is worth drinking AT.

Well daylight savings here and its just great, i get lots of gardening in and walking late afternoon with Carl. One week of holidays down and one more to go. my kitchen is culled and clean and no one can now find anything lol. We are still in lockdown so there are no shops open except supermarkets and chemists. i am very proficient with "click and collect"now and online ordering. I do look at the cases o/s and am grateful that we are staying safe though it is hard on everyones mental health. A big 13 degrees today so not going to be doing much.

take care and stay safe xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good Saturday evening Nesters,

Still pretty mild here today but cooler weather moves in overnight. It’s been nice being outside without a jacket

Wags, I really miss going to Curves, sad it closed 3 years ago. I went 3 or 4 mornings/week for 7 years & really enjoyed talking to real people, haha! This is what happens when you live in cow country, you miss having the chance for human conversation. My dog & chickens hear a lot from me but they don’t respond much.

Pav, do you have room for a She-shed in the yard? I’ve heard of people getting them for exercise equipment or just a quiet place to read/write.
                  Hope your day was good!

Narilly, I just tucked the chickens in early so I don’t have to trip over anything in the dark on the way Back to the house, Lol
                  Hope you get your zipper replaced soon, you’re going to need that heavy coat. Stay warm :hug:

Byrdie, looking at some of the old pics is really telling. I’m so happy I don’t have to worry about that anymore. Stay safe!

Walktothewater, I hear you about the elderly parent at home. I had my dad living with us for nearly 13 years & I do believe my drinking issue started then.
                  The longer you are sober though the more you will see people begin to relax around you. It takes time, Be kind to yourself.

Ava, glad you are enjoying your time off!
                  There’s always something to do to fill your time, right? Glad to hear your Covid numbers are down, ours are going sky high again. The blame is being placed on primarily on college students & their need to gather & party. Also any large gatherings like weddings as well. If people would just use common sense & keep their damn faces covered.

Hello to the rest of the nesters & wishing everyone a safe night!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Greetings, my friends.
                    This is my annual check-in... I am 7 years sober and I have no intention of going back to the chaos and misery that made up my life in the years leading up to my 'rock bottom'.

There has been loss and turmoil in the past 7 years as well... but, I am so much better equipped now to deal with it. As always, this post isn't for bragging rights, but rather to encourage anyone struggling with the beast. It IS possible and it IS worth it. YOU are worth it.

I wish you all a happy and sober 24 hours, I hope you have a friend you can call when the going gets tough, and I implore you to dust yourself off and get back up, should you have tripped and face planted. You can do it. I screwed around for years, half assed and with ever increased self loathing and regret. I cannot overstate this: If I can get sober, you can as well.

Take care and be kind to yourself :hug:

Love, always... Gina
                    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Good morning all sorry i have not been around i was not in a good place for a while but kinda ok now . In another lockdown doesn't help and all the other doom and gloom here in Ireland. I took a break from or cut back on internet and some social sites but i did not drink and no desire tho it got tough and i got tempted but the result is always the same. Ok i will read back and check in when i can. I see we another Irish member i just briefly skimmed tru the post. Hello walkonwater from Dublin where are you from? Hello to everyone else. clocks went back on hour so darker earlier the evenings.

Comment

Hi, All!

Good to see you pop in, Sunny. Thanks for coming back and checking in. 7 years is amazing!

Hi to you, Anj. I am sorry you have had a rough time, but so glad you stayed sober. You can come post here during rough times and get support. Sometimes people hesitate because they don't want to be a bummer here, but that's why we're here - to get each other through the good times and the bad.

Walk - sorry about your situation. There are plenty of people here who have pissed off loved ones - it is sort of how we roll. Time and your dedication to your quit should help change that. If not, can you leave that living situation, or are you sort of stuck there? Quitting the booze should help with your anxiety eventually, but can you see a counselor in the meantime? It might help.

I have a lot going on here, but will not drink. No way...

Pav

Comment

Hola nesters near and not so far.

a dip in the bay in 11C weather was just the ticket yesterday. On the other side of the comfort barrier is.....is........er, a hot shower!

Remember friends. Nothing is permanent. Weather changes, clouds change, thoughts change, times change. Covid pandemic will also pass. I cannot control the outside world and i'm careful what i allow into my head. Thoughts become things, so i must be mindful and careful. I CAN control my headspace and my little thought world. We all can. That's a great goal to go for if ur not using it already. My thoughts are not necessarily my instructions for the day.

Take it easy. Big waves to evabody. Gr8 to see u Gina!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Greetings Nesters!

Chilly & rainy here today, just as predicted. I’m staying inside & crafting my brains out, haha!!

Sunny, thanks for stopping in & CONGRATS On your 7 years :welldone:
                            True that we can get thru all kinds of rough times without turning to AL. I am happy for you!!

Anjicia, don’t be afraid to come here & unload your concerns. We are listening & know that we all have days like that. What are friends for? Take care.

Pav, hope your busy day was OK.

G, like you I can only absorb so much BS in a day’s time. The political scene over here is awful & worrisome. I voted early, have made many donations to candidates That I hope will fix things if elected. That’s all I can do. The remaining energy I have is for me . Glad you’re getting out for a swim, sounds nice.

Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Walk - somehow I missed your first message, but welcome to the nest. You're in great company here with folks who understand much of what you're going through. Please let us know if there's a way we can best support or help you.

Anj - sorry to hear you were/are in a rough place. We're here for you too :hug:

Lav - that would be hard living so far out in the country, or at least for some things. I can also see some tremendous positives. If I recall correctly you moved there after being in a more urban area for years, right? Did you quit drinking before or after you moved?

Sunny - great to see you and awesome on the 7 years!

Hope everyone had good weekends!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Afternoon all and thanks for your kinds xxxx. Another nice sunny day here about f with the sun it always feel a bit warmer. 13 f wow that cold i guess you adjust when you live there or have to lol. Lav thats quite rural is there any shops for essentials a drive away? I guess it has advantages peace quiet and less people to deal with. Lovely encouraging words Mr G. Walk how are you doing? be lovely to hear from you and worry if you drank again i have been there many time and still in early stage here but any day you don't is a better day than your worst. i am going to visit my sister again she is out the 5km but our goverement kindly let us have exemptions as she over 70 on her own for now and just over an op. Anyway trying not to talk too much about this covid thing just to say i don't peronalyl know any one who got or died from it . Hi to Wagnor Narilly Pavati Pauly Kensho byd and anyone i left out. Have a good day be back later

Comment

Working...
                                X