Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Byrdie - there are groups who have been predicting or warning about an apocalypse of sorts for months (years)? My hope is that the militia types will be met with enough organized security that they'll have to stand down and go home. Not a long-term solution by any means, but maybe just time to take a deep breath.

Ava - which vaccine have you heard that about?

Pav - sorry to hear about your son's keen like for weed. I know lots of adults who use it daily and function just fine, but I'm not sure the same is possible for teens with still-developing brains. I have never understood the attraction myself - I don't like the way it makes me feel. I can remember wishing I *did* like it, thinking that would be a way for me to stop drinking back in the day. I'm glad now it didn't work out that way, as it would have only been subbing one addiction for another.

This past week has been really busy for me. I brought on quite a few new students in the past week or two, and I'm wrapping up with several more who take their tests this weekend. The overlap period has been a heavy workload but I think it'll be more manageable in the coming days. For now, my brain is exhausted and I'm ready to do absolutely nothing this evening.

Happy weekends nesters!
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Aw Byrdie, I laughed when I read your post. First, I did know that was happening but never did I bother to look it up to fix. Second, IÂ’ve been typing on my phone because my iPad is in the shop. So I guess IÂ’ll try your discovery when I get it back tomorrow.
      I feel naked without my iPad!
      :eek-new: Your brother has 26 cats??!

Kensho,
      Enjoy ice skating!

Well, Lav, I made it two days on treadmill, and did something to my ankle. Pulled something. Love lentil soup.

So today was a rough day. Had a work meeting about test scores. ItÂ’s always about test scores. Our scores obviously dipped significantly since the beginning of year testing. We started with the hybrid model - half kids come Monday and Tuesday and other half Wednesday and Thursday. Everyone virtual Friday. Then right before thanksgiving, we moved to all remote and havenÂ’t been back since. It has t been good at all for the kids but we try. My principal called out to me and the other English teacher asking us why this could have happened. Why are some kids succeeding and others arenÂ’t? Are you freaking kidding me!!!!???? She gave us homework. Show the other teachers how to write better questions and how to have students answer these questions, because you know, social studies and science teachers just donÂ’t know how to write good questions. This is confusing to you all IÂ’m sure. It put me I. A really nasty mood. Yes. IÂ’m blaming my mood
      On someone and I shouldnÂ’t do that. Have my husband a list
      Of food to pick up at Chinese restaurant and I ate my anger away. I know thatÂ’s not good either. I felt that was the better choice. But itÂ’s cold, dark, and in the middle of the winter, oh, and I could t walk on my treadmill. Now IÂ’ll eat my ice cream.

Good night.

Comment

Ok. Now I know it’s my iPad and my phone that does the A’! I don’t know why it fixed on that last post. I’ll investigate tomorrow.

Comment

JVO-neen, it's definitely better to eat than drink! Sorry about your ankle. You'll get though this. I had a couple terrible days this week - along with my family and thought, this just sucks. But the next day was better. Stuff is challenging right now, for sure. We will all adjust and things will work out. Awesome how you handled it.

Larg-ish argument with my husband today about parenting. I just don't understand the punitive, military approach. It's just so negative. I prefer positive solutions. He hates how his dad did it, and he wants more than anything to have a good relationship with his son - yet he keeps being the way he is and defending the hell out of it. It's one of two things we tend to fight about. It's frustrating - we aren't on common ground and I am having trouble seeing his side because I feel negativity, nagging, and disrespect are just plain wrong. UG!

Nighty night Nest. It may be a doozy of an evening here.
          Last edited by KENSHO; January 16, 2021, 10:53 AM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

I don't have much to add. We are hunkering down at home to keep away from people this weekend. A lot of the trails I usually take will be very crowded on this holiday weekend. I'm not too worried about being outdoors, but I just don't like navigating all those people!

Kensho, I know that argument. My husband would do things, and I have A LOT of experience with teenagers and would try to tell him why that approach wasn't going to work. He thought I coddled. In the end, his approach didn't work, and he started worrying about his relationships with his kids, so he dialed it back. If it gets REALLY bad you can do family therapy if he would agree.

J-Vo, I haven't figured out your District. They seem like such assholes. Thank goodness you're retiring in June. Eating is better than drinking any day, although finding the source of that anger and dealing with that when the incident occurs is the best. Mr. G is my guru in that department - I am a work in progress.

Wags, every day use of marijuana is definitely not good for teenaged brains. I know adults who smoke every day and many if not most of them live sort of "flat" lives. I'm not sure how to express it better, but they are not ambitious either in work, or in a hobby, or in really anything. Of course there are some exceptions. I just want him to find out who he is without being high... Glad there's a light at the end of your work tunnel.

Happy SOBER Saturday,
            Pav

Comment

Morning nesters and happy Sunday

Wags i am not sure which vaccine we are using but we can make it here. As it is so popular overseas atm and we have very low cases i think we dont have a choice. Front line workers first so that is good and who knows when they will start. Hopefully before our 3rd wave hits. Its just no fun watching the news anymore, not that it ever was but it just gets worse and worse. Thank god or whoever that i dont drink, hate it and have no intentions of ever drinking again.

Kensho, my ex hubs was useless, still is but from afar. He was like one of my children, never contributed to anything except he worked. We should have just been friends. all of my kids bad habits are from me and good. They love him but know that his parenting skills were sadly lacking and i am just their pain in the butt mum who cares too much.

Going out for lunch today, need to get motivated. it will be nice to sit in the sun and enjoy the company though. I do appreciate the non mask wearing outdoors but am still very wary.

Eat away Jvo, eating wont kill you unless you become morbidly obese, drinking will!

Take care xx
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We had a pretty nice day here involving sunshine & mild temps for January, nice
                I ended up baking a good coffee cake with the sourdough starter I needed to discard & glad I did too, yum. I hate throwing away perfectly good starter just because the jar is getting too full.
                I think a lot of us are feeling some angst right now but we’re all going to be OK. All we have to do is stay on plan & wait out the BS, things always get better :hug:

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey All,

Today was a much better day. Was lazy, but it felt good. We had ricotta raviolis. Delish. Now itÂ’s almost 9 and boys are watching football and IÂ’m gonna continue re-watching Grace and Frankie. So funny. Also watching Peaky blinders but itÂ’s so dark. Finished Bridgerton and absolutely loved it.

I would be stumbling to bed by now and am so gratefuI am not. We have the fireplace blazing and candles lit.donÂ’t want anything else atm.

So Birdie, I looked up solutions to my apostrophe issue, but couldnÂ’t figure out how to fix. Gonna have to contact the tech gurus. I did, however,manage to pair my new wireless earbuds to my iPad and my phone.so grateful I have my iPad back.

Wags, good luck to your students. What tests are you helping them to prep for? Part of my retirement plan is to tutor students. God knows this is a perfect time, as so many kids have lost skills.

Pav, my source of anger is my principal and all upper admin. Head principal is a psychopath. Truly. SheÂ’s a bully as well, but loves to manipulate. She loves to see people afraid and fearful. She made me cry twice and after the second time, I said no more to myself. She is so disliked, and IÂ’ve never, throughout my career have had a leader like her, so thatÂ’s another grateful thing I can say. And IÂ’ve had many principals. The meeting was in the middle of day, so I let it stew until the end of the day and I just ended up a total crabby bitch. I know that nothing I say or do will ever change that woman, so I needed to react differently to her. She means nothing to me, never has. So it should be easy to let that anger go but I guess sheÂ’s such a professional at manipulation.

Lav, we had two snow microbursts today and lots of car accidents glad I wasnÂ’t out in it.

Ava, hope you enjoyed your lunch and the sun. I miss the sun.

I think weÂ’re able to get our COVID shot soon. Fingers crossed.

Have a good night.
                  Last edited by Neen; January 16, 2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Jvo/Neen - wow, your principal sounds really awful. That sounds like a huge negative for your work situation, and one more good reason to retire in June. As others have said, eating is far better than drinking - at least for us - and now your comment has me craving Chinese food!

Pav - that's what I was thinking about teenage brains. Now that I think about it, I probably know a lot of adults who use regularly but can only think of two who definitely are at it daily. They both carry on and have full lives, and I remember being surprised by those two facts - like weed and having a full productive lifestyle don't typically go together. Anyway, good for you on addressing this with your son. He should definitely figure out who he is without any substance altering that. I hope you're able to enjoy your weekend even while staying off the crowded trails.

Pretty quiet day today, which right now is a good thing. I've got most of tomorrow off and we're hoping to take a bike ride. Have good Sunday days/eves everyone!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone:

Wags, that's a good thing for me to remember. I know people who drink every day whose lives are not negatively affected. Right now, however, I would say said son is not soaring - he's struggling. But your words ultimately do help me feel better even if that wasn't your intent.

J-Vo, Funny how you call the crazy lady a "leader." Sounds like she's anything but...

Yum, Lav. I have never been a baker but I love baked stuff. Too bad I don't live closer.

It is a beautiful weekend which isn't good because a) it is the middle of winter and it should be rainy and cold and b) people seem to have decided the virus doesn't matter... I read something from an unverified source that the new strain can be more infectious, so even being close outside can be not good. I don't know. I'm just staying away from everyone and can't wait until this is over...

Happy SOBER Sunday,
                      Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

The nice weather continues, feeling grateful
                        I turned leftover roasted chicken into a pot pie for dinner, my fav food & I have leftovers, haha!!

Pav, baking makes me happy, always did. Nothing fancy but definitely edible.
                        Yeah, we’re hiding too & it’s getting tiresome. I found a survey on our county website today that I am going to fill out for the both of us. It’s an ‘interest in getting the vaccine’ survey for us Group 1 B folks. They will let us know when we can go get immunized.

Wags, hope you enjoyed your bike ride today!

Neen, I keep hearing the Philly news talking about possible snow out west so I guess that’s you
                        Getting away from a toxic work environment is good self care. Do it for yourself, you won’t be sorry.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening,

Yes, Lav, that’s us. It’s been off and on, but yesterday we had two snow microbursts. It caused lots of accidents.

Kept busy today with just house stuff. MIL came for dinner. The sometimes irritating things she says don’t bother me half as much when I’m not drinking.

Tomorrow we are off, but I’ll be prepping to go back to school on Tuesday. I’m sure I won’t sleep at all tomorrow night. It creates anxiety in me, and I can’t figure out why but have some theories...being in and out of school last year and this year, teaching on zoom and in person at the same time, it’s a messy job. Then the admin nazis will be walking around and sneaking up on us.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Jvo

Comment

Had a great bike ride today! Our weather has been so poor these first two weeks of January that this was actually our first ride of 2021. It was good to get out of the neighborhood, get some fresh air exercise, and pretend for a couple of hours that life is sort of normal.

Jvo/Neen - as the wife, daughter, niece and granddaughter of K-12 teachers, I understand your world as well as a non-teacher probably could. I feel for you and I hope this return to school goes as smoothly as possible.

Lav - that's so great that you've always found such happiness in baking. For folks who do it even semi-frequently by choice, that generally seems to be the case. I've never really gotten interested in it, but watching the Great British Baking Show actually piqued my interest. Now we just need to get a decent kitchen...

I had a wayward and very brief thought today: I'm mentally DONE with 2020, with covid, with the orange menace pretending to be our prez, and with the republican party in general as they thrive on creating division and then acting all innocent or outraged while blaming the dems. Like, I don't want to do this anymore kind of DONE. And it occurred to me that back when I was drinking, I not only would have been drinking heavily through the past 4 years, I would likely also use that to totally escape these last few remaining days before we get our new prez. And when I had that thought, I actually paused, as if to consider this option. Fortunately, I reminded myself that al is a huge problem for me and that no matter how badly I would like to escape our current vicious ugly reality, I cannot afford to pay the price that drinking would inevitably cost my health, my sanity, my ability to do my job, etc.

So it wasn't really a close call or anything, just an awareness. I was in no danger of actually drinking, but I did find myself wishing that I *could* drink.

Instead of doing that, my wife and I made plans to have one of our dearest friends over on Wed to watch the inauguration together (outside, masks and distancing). We will each then write several things about the past 4 years that we want to completely purge from our lives on little slips of paper. We're going to burn those slips in a ceremony in our outdoor fire pit. This friend was at our house for the election results back in 2016 when we thought we'd be seeing our first woman prez elected (Hillary Clinton). So we started this shit show together and now will end it together while doing something symbolic and cathartic.

Way way way better than drinking!

Here we go nesters - starting another week of spins on our collective axis
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

I LOVE that idea, Wags. I was with my husband and three friends that night, wearing my pantsuit. One of my friends saw it before the rest of us did, and was not talking to any of us, just silently coloring in the states as they turned red. I'd love to perform a happier ritual with her around our outside fire pit! I've had those "wouldn't it feel good" moments lately, too. I know I'm not going to drink, but after all this time - sheesh.

Another beautiful day - I'll stay home away from the masses. Probably cook meals for the week. I'm going to look into how to serve from home - MLK's birthday has been a day of service for us since Obama.

Happy SOBER Monday.
                              Pav

Comment

Community service is a great thing Pav. You raaawk!

Happy birthday Mr King.

Love that idea Wags.

Big waves to evabody. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X