Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I confess to buying a package of chocolate Oreos today, haha!! I can actually eat them without getting sick, they are dairy free. My waistline doesn’t need them, I was just reacting the underlying stress of everything going on these days. I haven’t thought about drinking & I hope I never do because it never fixes anything. I refuse to go back down that rabbit hole.

Neen, you are retiring in June you said? That’s just a short 5 months away, you can get thru this school year & be done with all the nonsense
    Hang in there & keep your eye on the goal!

Wags, glad you enjoyed your bike ride! Fresh air & peace & quiet do a lot for the soul.
    When we built this house I made sure I had plenty of countertop space, an island for a large workspace & two ovens haha1! I use both of them for different things. Maybe you can draw up your dream kitchen & make it the way you like

Pav, it was very nice here too but I only went to the grocery store. I can walk around the yard & get all the exercise I want without seeing another soul. That kind of suits my personality anymore. The older I get the less I want to deal with other people if that makes sense.

Hi Mr G, hope you are well.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone.

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening,

Well itÂ’s a busy week. Prepped all day for this coming week. Also had to grade lots as itÂ’s the end of the semester. We go back to school tomorrow. Everyone will be a little rusty, but we will get back into the groove eventually. There was a school board meeting tonight, and I listened as my name was recommended for resignation due to retirement. I didnÂ’t just listen. I recorded it.:sohappy: although IÂ’m so excited and relieved to be ending my career, IÂ’m a bit scared. But I am proud, too. Grateful I had so many years doing something I liked to do.

Wags, awareness is a good thing. Keeps you on your toes, I would think. And your “wish you could” is just a wish. A thought. Those go away as quickly (well, sometimes) as they come.

Pav, that sounds great. And thatÂ’s another thing on my retirement list. Volunteer. I havenÂ’t figured that one out yet (where, who, what), but I want to do that.

Lav, June 3, 2021 is last day!

😴.

Comment

Jvo/Neen - my wife taught for 32 years and finally retired at the end of the school year in 2018. It took her awhile to stop rattling around the house looking for things to do, but she finally found several activities (hobbies, volunteering, maintaining a community garden plot) that kept her happily busy. Her best teacher friend retired last year and went through a similar process which was extra-weird under covid. I'm sure, ultimately, you'll find yourself all sorts of things to do that are fun and fulfilling.

Pav - I hope you're able to put together a happy ritual for Wednesday. I'll look forward to hearing what you decide to do!

Hi G and Lav - great to see you both.

Hellos and waves to everyone else stopping by the nest. Happy Tuesdays to all!
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

I am up at on my way to work. I am jealous of the retirement. For the first day or more of every vacation I get depressed and "rattle around," as Wags says. Retirement will be tough in that way for me, but I know that eventually I'll figure it out. One thing I am looking forward to is a holiday in October! Or any time that isn't also a school holiday. I've been on that school calendar for so long. Don't get me wrong - I know that with our holidays we have it a lot better than most so I'm not complaining. I just think it will be cool.

Ultimately didn't do any "service" yesterday. I'll figure something out.

Pav

Comment

Morning nesters

Oh retirement, just a dream for me. Yesterday i had to walk away from my work for a few hours before i told someone to put their job somewhere unpleasant. Its hard to coordinate when everyone else wants to coordinate also and wont let a specific clinic go and let me do my job. I did finish painting the bedroom with my daughter so that was fun.

Her friend is moving in on Friday, her ex bf after he went into a psychosis and belted her up then ran into a truck and died. all within 3 weeks. she is pretty mentally f*cked and just needs to heal. She is a lovely girl. I dream of my office being in a spare room but they seem to get snapped up as soon as their is a vacancy lol. One day i will be lonely i am sure.

been a funny summer, not very hot here which i love although going to bless us with 38 celcius on the weekend. my vege garden will not like that at all

I am a bit excited about inauguration for you lot tomorrow. I hope and think he will be a blessing for you country.

Well back to work i go, just wanted to check in and say hi.

Thinking of you Pauly, be strong and take care.

take care xx
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

I am happy knowing that today was the last full day for the outgoing president - may he never be seen or heard from again.
              Looking forward to the inauguration tomorrow with fingers crossed for a peaceful day. My son will be there working & you know how mothers worry.

Neen, I hope the first day back was manageable. June 3 will be here in no time, yay!!!

Wags, finding something meaningful to do after retirement makes it so much easier. I ended up opening my small embroidery business after nearly 30 years in nursing 7 kkept that going for 15 years. Now I just do fun stuff - it’s all about me, haha!!

Pav, I just mailed an embroidered sweatshirt to a friend of ours who just retired. I’ll send one to you too to ease your transition, Lol. You’ll be just fine

Ava, I really enjoyed my solitary gig after all those years of having everyone in my face!! Maybe you can figure out your next gig that is idiot free, haha!
              It’s very nice to offer shelter to that poor girl, she needs to heal for sure.

I’m waiting to find out where we need to go for vaccines. They have approved the 65+ age group so we need to get it done soon.
              Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening All,

So we set the tv to record the Inauguration. It’ll be all day, but can watch in chunks of time. Thoughts or prayers welcome. The news said there could be trouble days, weeks, and months following this day.

I didn’t sleep last night. Too nervous for my first day back. No different from when I couldn’t sleep the night before 3rd grade and all the other first days. I will be exploring hobbies. But I’ll also be working, so I consider this semi retirement. It’ll still allow me so much more time to find things to do.

Wags, a good friend of mine is also retiring. We’ve been chatting lots. She quit drinking March 1 of last year, right before the pandemic made it to the states. She’s doing so well.

Ava, that is a very sad story. Did he have a history of abusing her? That’s wonderful your daughter can be there for her and you’re opening your home to her. I can’t imagine the mental destruction that could cause. Is she able to get medical help for her trauma?

Pav,I get that wanting to vaca in October. Or November, January, February, March, April, may, ok, September too! Well, I’ve vacationed once in December and that was quit nice, so there! I think also going to the beach in September would be awesome, because all the kiddies are back in school and the rates go way down, yet it’s still warm in the north.

Lav, prayers for your son and all those protecting D.C.

Going to bed shortly.

Good night.
                Last edited by Neen; January 19, 2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Good evening, Nesters!
                  Neen, I retired last January after my company hosed me out of a big commission on a sale I made. So ending a 32 year sales career ended very unceremoniously. I was angry and bitter, then came Covid. I rattled around for quite a long time but now I have settled in to it quite nicely. I cook a full lunch every day, so that has given me purpose. I love dishes and have gotten a chance to set a table and enjoy the different patterns I have collected through the years. I look forward to being able to leave the house again! I need to get out in the yard and make sense of random planting and hurricane carnage. It needs some attention. There is always something that needs to be done!

10 years ago tonight was the worst night of my life. My hubs left me and said he didn’t want to be married to a drunk. I would have never thought it at the time, but his ultimatum actually saved my life. I’m so thankful I had a community to help me get through those difficult first days. I’d had first days before, but this time, it HAD to work. That was what had been missing. I kept giving myself an out. This time I saw the solution and had to figure out the behaviors that would make it happen. I can’t express how grateful I am for MWO. .

Tomorrow will be Independence Day for several reasons. I can’t wait!
                  Hang in there, everyone! It is worth it! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie - your ten-year anniversary will make tomorrow twice as much a reason to celebrate. So glad you found your home here and that you managed to make your quit stick, then to reach down or back or just out and help so many who came along after you. You've been a big part of helping so many people changes their lives for the better and healthier (probably saving some of those lives as well!). I am definitely one of them and I treasure you.

Pav - vacay in October was exactly what my wife said she wanted for her first retirement year. That was when we took our trip and rode our bikes across Italy. Yes, you will find your way when that time comes, just as Jvo/Neen is going to.

Ava - your daughter's friend has been through hell and I'm glad you all are able to give her a safe place to land and to heal.

Less than 12 hours from now the world will be a safer place. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will make an excellent leadership team for this time of healing and recovering from so much. I don't agree with all of the policies or politics of any single politician, and I think politics in general is really messed up in much of the world. But I'm glad to have a decent, compassionate and competent team leading our country again and I'm confident they will rebuild good relationships with many other countries as well. Woohoo for having adults in office again! Let the A-Free celebration begin!!

:yay:
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Ms. Byrdy. May i kick off the celebrations from over here coz it's the 20th of January.

Congratulations on 10 years booze free dear friend! Wowza! Now ain't that somethin'! Ain't you somethin! I'm so happy you stick around the joint. We're lucky to know you. Time to let the lama's out.

:woohoo2::sendflowers::llama:

Good luck with the transition America!

Thinking of you Pauly.

Waves to all. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Congratulations Byrdie!!!!!
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

BYRDIE! The inauguration is just an afterthought to your 10 years. Thanks for being our stalwart Nest Mom - real, funny, kind, and supportive. 10 years is just amazing. Thanks for making room for us in the nest and for having really strong tail feathers for us to cling to. I am grateful to alcohol for bringing us together - a weird but true sentiment. Love to you!

Ava - that's wonderful that you have a place for your daughter's friend (and your son's friend before that). I remember my aunt had a bunch of my cousin's friends live with her over the years. I thought it was so cool that she let them get themselves together - and I'm sure she had a few words of advice.

Lav - It will be a few years, but hold that sweatshirt!

I am experiencing some joy and some hope today - I'll save the skepticism for tomorrow. Moving forward, reckoning with our past, supporting each other. We got this!

Happy BYRDIE 10 YEAR SOBERVERSARY!
                          Pav

Comment

What a great day! Byrdie's 10 years of freedom and our country taking a tentative step forward.
                            Congratulations, Byrdie, and thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. xx, NS

Comment

It has been a great day! Celebrations all around!
                              It’s difficult to articulate my gratitude for the people on this site. I honestly don’t know what I’d have done without the tools and support that MWO provided. Particular thanks go to Lav, who believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself. Sometimes a kick in the pants is exactly what the doctor ordered. I appreciate your honesty and patience (not enabling, but true guidance). Getting sober is one step, staying sober is another. To every single person who takes the time to post here, thank you. Support is the key to maintenance.

It is a great day. I put my American flag out today! Here’s to out future! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning nesters

Congratulations on your 10th birthday Byrd, what a happy day all around. Lets hope America gets their shit together like you did lol. Biden has a huge job ahead of him and he does seem like a nice person also.

I must have really got my team worried the other day, my boss rang and then asked late yesterday how i was going. Nice to make them actually notice occasionally even if it was due to a dummy spit. Of course there is a plan to let me actually coordinate but time will tell.

J, no he was not abusive before he bashed her, he took MDMA or some form of drug and went into psychosis, the police took him to hospital and the hospital released him, mental health services were called but never returned his call. He then drove into a truck. She is very traumatised and is seeing a few counsellors. I've had a few kids of my friends come into my life, some i can help and others not so much but i certainly leave a lasting impression.

Thankfully my daughter has slowed down her drinking and is back to a normal daughter. i am trying to talk to her every couple of days and keep saying i dont want her to live the life i did. she keeps telling me i wasnt that bad, i keep telling her she didnt live inside my head.

Have a happy day byrd. much love to you and yes MWO has given a lot of us our lives back but its the long termers that got me on the right track and for that i am eternally grateful.

take care xx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X