Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hiya 3 B Dubbya.

65 days! Wowza. Congratulations my friend. Keep it rolling. I've had so many similarly missed opportunities to catch up with people over the years as ur friend. It's crazy really, as we might and often miss something real special.

Pav, hope you have a relaxing weekend. Same goes for y'all.

Take it easy.
    Last edited by Guitarista; March 6, 2021, 06:40 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning, Nest:

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
      I want to grow my hair but things are thinning out a little around the 7th chakra area. Good in one way as there's a more unobstructed connection to universal energy and wisdom etc....
      Mr. G - thanks for the chuckle. You are definitely connected to universal energy...

3BOW Congratulations on 65 days! That's amazing. Are you doing anything special this time to maintain your quit? Have a plan for when those inevitable urges come? You got this!

Byrdie, I feel you with that dread. I haven't worried like I am lately in a long time. I see it as a lack of control of my life. Right now there is a big to do at work and I have the responsibility but none of the power, so I feel helpless. I am trying to maintain a good attitude about it since it is my work and I have to keep going, but sometimes I wish I was a librarian and I could just go hang out with books all day and skip adult humans...I am too lazy and cheap to maintain hair color so my greys are flying!

I am working at a large vaccination site today. While I'd like a day off, I am excited to be part of something so important. Also, people will be happy all day, so there's that as well.

Happy SOBER Saturday!
      Pav
      Last edited by Pavati; March 6, 2021, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Hi Nest! Beautiful morning here - sunny, 65F later today, and the birds are chirping up a storm and making nests (even in my dryer vent). I think spring may be here! I'm still feeling my gallbladder junk, but it's getting better. I am trying to will my body into feeling strong and vibrant. I often feel sick somehow in Feb/March, and I think it's the lack of sun.

Pav, my kids are SO ready for in-person school. I heard that after spring break, they go back full time. We have been impressed with the precautions here too. I can understand the fear of teachers as well. The online format has been such a challenge for everyone involved - all will benefit when kids can be back.

LAV, they gave me fentanyl during labor and about 5 minutes in I told them to turn that drip off - I HATED it! It didn't help the pain, and I just felt slow and terrible. So sad that we have such a problem with it in the US.

Byrdie, are you planning to make jewelry again? Fun hobby. Are you baking? What keeps you occupied these days? Besides your drinking dreams...

NS, a hike sounds nice. I've been missing nature! When does the puppy arrive?

Ava, find yourself some down time! What is a keto lemon slice?

I met a friend from high school yesterday that I hadn't seen for a few years. It was like nothing had changed. I appreciate that she reached out... I get stuck in my introverted work and family world and don't nurture my friendships like I should. I really need to work on this. She was telling me that her mom has dementia and they think part of the cause was that she was never social. Connection really does nurture the body and soul.

I have to do some sewing today, and some exercise. Maybe some yoga. Warm thoughts to everyone here. I've never met (most) of you in person, yet feel I've known you for years... I. joined in 2014, so I guess that's true. Glad to know you and have you in my life.
        Last edited by KENSHO; March 6, 2021, 11:09 AM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Saturday evening greetings Nesters,

Kensho, I feel part of a worldwide community here. You all know my thoughts & feelings in real time. My extended family is just that. Extended. No one seems to give a damn about anyone but themselves anymore. I stopped trying to gather them together years ago, just wasn’t working to be honest. I’m glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better, hope that contimues.

3BOW, CONGRATS on your 65 AF days! You sound good & very happy, keep doing that

Hi to G, Pav & everyone checking in tonight.

I made a dairy free cream of cauliflower soup today & it was good, haha!! Still having soup weather here but next week it’s looking to warm up quite a bit, can’t wait

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Sunday all, it's raining today - it only rains here once or twice a year and this is the day - it's nice

Went shopping in the city with my son yesterday, bought a whole new wardrobe full of clothes, 500 euro+ worth - figured I saved that by not drinking and smoking during the year so I treated myself, it was a wonderful experience, I am not sure if this world always existed or if I was just never sober enough to notice but I am so full of compassion for everyone and everyone is so beautiful, just an immense love in my heart for everyone I meet, regardless of what our interaction is - even when a shop assistant gives a grumpy shallow response to a question I have nothing but love for them - this is new for me, I feel a new man, and realized last night how much I changed as I went to bed at 11 leaving my son to play his games online telling him I set the alarm for 1am so he can come to bed too - but somehow I missed my alarm - don't know if he sneaked in and turned it off or if I was soooo conked out from the day I simply switched it off, anyway he crawls into bed at 5am much to my surprise and I told him off a little bit, in quite calm words and at the end he said "Daddy, thank you." - for what? "Thank you for not being angry" - and I realized I wasn't angry - where as before I would have been!

Thanks for giving me the space to share this.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, enjoy the yoga Kensho - nice to meet you for real this time, hope you a good day at the vaccination site Pav - not sure what that means, are you injecting people? oh and yes I am doing lots to keep me occupied, as each day passes the happier I feel - I go for walks, I am doing my taxes, taking care of my cats - one of them was in a fight a few days ago, had to bring him to the vet - a lot came from that - even reunion with an old friend who helped me find the vet - we got back in touch after a big fight 6 months ago - it's nice to find that peace with her, she was a good friend and I hope to get that back, she seems to want it...I am doing all sorts of things where I used to think was boring when I wasn't sober and thanks for your kind words Guitar, I always admired that you always had something nice to say to me, meant and means a lot, hope you have a warmer week Lav and enjoyed the soup, sounds yummy and hi to everyone else whom I have yet to meet and greet - I hope you have a fab sober and free day!

I am going to a museum today with my son, there is a space exhibition - I am a bit of an astronomer myself and am keen to bring my son along to this - I am looking to buy a telescope and they have some on display there...looking forward to going out in the rain and meeting more beautiful people!

Love to all
            Last edited by ThreeBottlesOfWine; March 7, 2021, 07:55 AM.
            Life is better sober

Comment

Hi, all:

That's a wonderful story, 3 BOW. I count my relationships with my kids improving as the number one benefit of my not drinking. As they got older and wanted to talk about things late at night I could be awake and alert for them. So glad you're feeling great.

Lav your soups sound divine. Do you use cashew milk in that?

Kensho, glad you're on the mend. I like catching up with old friends and picking up just like you saw them yesterday. I, too, feel for the teachers. It is a lose lose situation, and I think most people are doing the best they can. Well maybe most is too generous... :eek-new:

I worked supporting people after they got their shots. They had to register for their second doses and also wait for 15 minutes to see if there is a reaction. Some people get pretty anxious at that point so I did a lot of chit chatting to take peoples' minds off of it. Everyone was so happy and excited - it was a good (LONG) day.

Happy SOBER Sunday all.
              Pav
              Last edited by Pavati; March 7, 2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I’m on my phone this am, so it will be short.

Mostly, 3BW, I’m thrilled for you. Amazing things happen when we sustain our quits! Around day 60 was when things started feeling really good for me too... I understood what it would take to stay sober and I had begun to make positive changes in my coping. It was a turning point for sure... ride that wave and don’t look back!!

Expecting 70 degrees today. Then groceries and laundry. Nothing big. Hope everyone has a good day.
                Last edited by KENSHO; March 7, 2021, 11:34 AM.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sunday everyone.

I loved your story 3BOW, very heartwarming. It is so nice that you son said that to you. No more regrets! That is awful about your friend not showing up because of a hangover, that was the story of my life except that I would show up no matter how sick I was and pretend I was not hungover. So much wasted energy.

Lav, I love the soups too. I made an amazing tomato soup with just 4 ingredients: can of tomatoes, butter and an onion (plus 1.5c broth). Just boiled it for 40 mins and then emulsified it- Holy smokes, Delicious! I cannot even believe how good it turned out, why did it take so many years for me to figure this recipe out?

So cool you are helping people with their shots Pav. My job is slow right not but we are supposed to be getting ready for a surge in March. We will see.

So glad to be feeling good on a Sunday morning. No puffy eyes and dry mouth, I will never regret giving up AL.
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

All this soup sounds tasty!
                    Kensho, amazingly, I’ve been keeping busy. I’ve cleaned out and organized my closets and have been cooking a full meal at lunch. I’ve done some baking, but have been trying to watch it, I can’t unload the goodies on my neighbors like pre-Covid. I’ll attach a picture of some cherry tarts I made yustaday. They took about 5 times longer than they should have. Live and learn.
                    3BOTS, congrats on your personal best AF days! That’s where I always want to stay. There is no need to repeat that same ole movie if starting over. I know how it ends and it isn’t pretty. I prefer to stay in these uncharted waters. So proud of you.
                    Pav, I want my vaccine! I’m getting impatient! You are a good egg for volunteering!
                    Happy Sunday, all. Stay strong, no matter what!
                    805CAF88-8E23-4EB1-BD15-2698F4998469.jpg
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good Sunday evening Nesters,

Sunny today but still chilly. There’s a warm upon the way, can’t wait
                      No soup today but I did make a really good batch of sourdough chocolate chip cookies (dairy free of course). Wow, the things you can do with your weekly starter discard, haha!!

3BOW, I’m really happy hearing your story. This is exactly why we quit & need to stay quit to enjoy the lives we really deserve. Sounds like your weekend was very exciting!

Pav, I use either cashew milk or oat milk in cooking & baking. Lately it’s been mostly oat but I did make up a new batch of cashew cream today. I store it in 1/2 C amounts in the freezer so it’s handy when I need it for something. My daughter also volunteered at a vaccination site last week doing what you did. She’s been fully vaccinated at work so she felt free to do the volunteer job, which is nice.

Kensho, I’m looking forward to having weather like yours soon, haha!!

Narilly, homemade soup is the best! It doesn’t have to cook all day & you can add or delete anything you like, yay!!
                      I hope you don’t see another big surge in cases this month.

Byrdie, those tarts look great & I’ll bet they are calorie free like my cookies
                      I don’t know about you but I’m going to decrease or stop all this baking when it gets warm enough to work outside in the yard. I need exercise, not more calories, haha!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Yum, Nar. A big can of tomatoes or a small can? I'm going to make that.

Byrdie - those look like professional quality baked goods. I constantly amazed by your talent. I hope they were as good as they looked.

Kensho - enjoy that weather. We had a beauty here yesterday. Perfect for a lovely hike and avoiding all of the in-home tasks I have on my perpetual list...

Happy SOBER Monday.
                        Pav

Comment

Morning crew. Sounds like there is some nice weather and time for nature or hobbies going around. Glad to hear it!

It's chilly here this morning, but I have to bundle up and walk the dog. It's always invigorating once I get out there.

I've found that shows about Italy are not good for me. I love Stanley Tucci, and he has a new show about the food (and drink) of Italy. We cancelled our trip there last summer, and I suspect we will reschedule in 2022 or 2023. However, I found myself trying to convince myself that I might actually be able to drink one glass of wine here and there while on vacation. But not at home. I was actually entertaining the idea a little. It's been 3+ years, and life has never been better - but I somehow told myself I would be able to just drink a little - and JUST on vacation? Please. Who am I kidding?

Anyway, dangerous thinking here. Other than that - normal Monday with a full house and piles of work. Feeling a little tired. Hoping that everyone has a great day!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone. My dogs Do not let me sleep past 8am and I always am grateful to wake up and actually feel good.

Ken, I have always wanted to go to Italy and have the same thoughts about drinking wine. That scares me. You are right, who are we kidding? One glass will NEVER be enough. I can't even count all the times I went to a wine tasting and then ended the night just being hammered.

Pav, 28oz can- Easy Three-Ingredient Tomato Soup
                            I added a clove of garlic and basil. HOLY MOLEY!

It is beautiful and sunny here today, yay!! I am going for a walk with my doggies and then work tonight. It sure is nice to work at home and it it super slow so it is super easy. The pay is not bad so I am not complaining!

Take it easy and don't drink today everyone.
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sunny & less chilly today. The rest of the week will be much warmer, yay.
                              We got the chicken house cleaned out today, put down fresh bedding so it looks & smells nice, haha!!! This is a job that we don’t look forward to but it has to be done a few times each year. I think they should hire a cleaning service LOL

Pav, enjoy your soup making, you’ll be hooked

Kensho, knowing what you know now maybe you wouldn’t be so tempted to sample the wine in Italy. I think I would refuse to give up my quit for something like that. If you can refuse wine here then you can refuse it in Europe too, just sayin

Narilly, I’ll make your soup for my husband, he loves tomato soup, thanks! Hope your work evening is going well.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Pav - I'd love to hear more about how they're running vaccine sites in your area. I just got my second dose yesterday (I'm a member of our Neighborhood Emergency Response Team so we're considered First Responders), and I've also taken my 90-y-o dad for his first dose so I've been through one of our local sites three times now. The online sign-up system is a frustrating disaster but the vax site itself is extremely organized and well-run. What's the system at the place you volunteered?

Nar - glad you're enjoying your work so much and that it's so chill. Sounds like the perfect fit for these stressful times.

3BoW - loved hearing about your shopping and museum outings with your son. Being sober really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Hellos and waves to G, Kensho, Lav, Byrdie, and everyone else stopping by the nest. It's good to be home.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X