Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy Un Hung Tuesday everyone.

I had my first variant case yesterday, I guess it is starting to move through our province.

AZ sounds awesome Ken. I really missed going to a warm place this year. We just had to hunker down and get through our winter this year.

Pav, that is weird you didn't move all night and you werent even drinking, lol.

Well, its a beautiful day here and so I am going to walk over to my mom's.

Have a good one everybody, be thankful we are unhung and sober!
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Tuesday greetings Nesters,

Chilly & damp here but not too bad. More rain coming tomorrow I think.
      Got my car back this afternoon so I am happy Looking for something different to eat I made sweet potato black bean burgers & they were good! I just had mine on top of a salad, husband had his on a roll. The original recipe called for curry powder for seasoning, I switched that out for cumin, yum.

Wags, it gets rough when so many are depending on you at once. I surely have been there & done that so I have much respect for you now & always :hug:
      Doing it all sober is extra special so be grateful & kind t o yourself too.

Pav, isn’t it crazy when you finally get a solid night’s sleep you wake up almost crippled? I guess all the tossing & turning is not that bad for us after all is said & done

Narilly, glad you can pop out for a visit with your mom. That’s something i’ve missed since 1986 unfortunately.
      I am concerned about the college students flocking to Florida for spring break like nothing is wrong. What are the chances of some of them returning sick?

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pav - OMG, the mornings I wake up with the most pain are after the nights where I slept hard and didn't move much. Sounds like several of us are in the same boat. Maybe we can invent a new hammock or something that periodically moves people while they sleep. We'd make gazillions on that! Actually, I think there are hospital beds that do something similar, is that right Lav? Or is that all done by nurses or medical aides?

Nar - which variant did you come across? And if I may ask, what types of info are you gathering as you talk with people? Is it mostly about figuring out who was where and near whom, or about symptoms, or ??? It all sounds very interesting! Hope you had a good visit with your mom.

Thank you all for your words of support. I'm not in any danger of drinking or doing something harmful to myself -- I'm just worn down and sleep deprived, which of course makes everything that much harder. Having the days start to get longer and warmer will help a lot.

Hope you're all having good weeks!
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

I agree with that longer day helping. I so much prefer to come home from work in the light. Sometimes even go out for a walk or bike ride in the evening. But mostly just because it feels better - like work doesn't take up my whole day, even if it still does!

Nar, how do you find out about the variant? Does the person tested know? That's not good...

Not much to report. Happy SOBER hump day.
          Pav

Comment

Hi Nest. Just plugging away. SO. Much. Marketing. All good, but I'm busy with regular work too, so just moving right along!

Not much else to report here. Glad to be sober.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Well, I thought that mistakenly going a day early to my 2nd vaccination appointment was the peak frustration of my day but I came home to a puppy FULL of burrs in her very fuzzy coat. Luckily she goes into a puppy-coma when she naps so I was able to cut them out. Who knows what she is going to look like when she wakes up and I can get a look at her.

I guess I was too excited about my appointment -- I just got it this morning when a slot miraculously opened up and I guess I didn't notice that the date wasn't today's. (I know my DAYS, but not necessarily the DATES!). So, a 40 min round trip drive was for naught but at least I now know where I'm going tomorrow!!

I'm home alone this upcoming weekend for the first time in a long time. That used to be what seemed like the best but was actually the worst situation. I'm looking forward to it and will actually enjoy and REMEMBER all of it.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

NS, neither one of us here know for sure what the day or date is honestly! I check my phone constantly for that info otherwise I’d be completely lost.
                I’ve had to remove those burrs from my dogs too, ugh. The hair will grow out quickly so don’t worry haha!! Good luck with your 2nd apppt, still no appts available here.

Wags, years ago there were beds that moved on a cycle but they didn’t move the patient. They were mostly used for people with circulatory issues, my dad was on one at one time. You still need the back breaking labor of the nursing staff to move the person

Kensho, busy is good in the long run. It’s hard to see the benefits while you’re going thru it though. Funny, I just had that conversation with someone recently.

Pav, I agree, coming home from work in the daylight is so much better. The only time I didn’t appreciate it was when i was working night shift & had to try to sleep, haha!!

Not much going on here but I’ve been out to do a bit of walking. Tomorrow will be a complete rain out so they are saying.
                Hell to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey all. I have an appointment for my first vaccine tomorrow at 3! I’m so excited!
                  Wags, this whole situation is getting to everyone. The pandemic alone would be enough to wear us down to nubs, but throw in life’s trials and tribulations on top and it’s extremely stressful. This prolonged stress is exhausting. I’m hoping we all can turn the corner soon.

My sister called today and her hubs had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago and they found a lesion. He met with the surgeon today, who will be removing a portion of his colon on April 5. Yikes. Inspired me to get my colonoscopy scheduled (May 6). Hopefully, he’ll be one and done and that will be the end of it. He will likely have to get colonoscopies every year like I do. It stinks, but is better than the alternative.

Hope everyone had a Happy St Patrick’s Day! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

NS - sorry to hear about the pup's encounter with the burrs, but glad to hear you got your 2nd vax scheduled. Hopefully you'll have few or no side effects and you'll truly be able to enjoy (and remember) your upcoming weekend alone. Those used to be double-edged times for me too -- probably for most or all of us actually. Now you're at a point where you can truly make the most of it.

Byrdie - hooray for your vax appt!!! Do they tell you in advance which one you will be getting? They didn't do that here at first but now are so organized that they can usually share that info up front.

Lav - a walk sounds like a good thing to include on the day before it rains. Thanks for the hospital bed info. I had a feeling that moving patients was still primarily done by nursing staff. I was watching something the other day where a group of nurses described the process of proning that they've been using with many covid patients (and they were highlighting how much they've managed to reduce the time such a maneuver takes). Moving people, especially those who are unable to help you, is HARD!

Hellos and waves to everyone!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

I love the idea of the puppy nap coma. Like kids - they play SO HARD and then conk out. So sweet.

Glad everyone is getting shots. I got mine as an educator and I did cry. It was such a relief. My mom is done, also, but not husband and son so we're all still playing it safe over here. I read an op ed from a doctor that said if we can keep it safe for another month they say that we will be pretty good. Right now the decline in cases plateaued, and with states opening there is fear that another surge will happen.

Yesterday was the big drinking day here, St. Patrick's day. I didn't drink, but I will admit that I looked a little longingly at a glass of Irish whiskey my sil had (saw it on the phone). That was one of my favorites. But then I picked up my bubbly water with shrub (I've been in to making fancier non alcoholic drinks and trying out shrubs). Very delicious and now I am feeling great this morning. I really am so grateful that I don't drink. Phew.

Happy SOBER Thursday.
                      Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Well we got our rainy day as promised. It’s supposed to stop sometime overnight for a dry day tomorrow.
                        Out of pure frustration of not being able to schedule a vaccine appointment I fired off an email to our state representative yesterday. My husband did as well & we got calls today saying they will try to help. We also clued them in to the fact that the entire Amish community around here is refusing to get the vaccine, they did not know that. My husband is around them several days/week driving them & their produce to the local auction. We really need to get our vaccines, hope they come up with something.

Byrdie, sorry to hear about your BIL, hope he does OK.
                        I guess those southern tornadoes didn’t come you way yesterday, scary to watch on TV.

Wags, moving people safely requires a lot of strength & practice. The bigger the patient the more you risk hurting them or yourself. That was one of the reasons I left my job a few years earlier than I had planned. The older you get the less energy you have for that sort of thing. We had a disaster drill every spring in our hospital, everyone got an assignment. Mine was to run down 3 flights of steps, go to the respiratory department, pick up two full ‘portable’ bottles of O2 & run them back up the 3 flights of steps. I got to the landing at the top & almost passed out. Scared the crap out of me! I knew it was time to get out. That job is for the young, haha!!

Pav, glad you didn’t fall into that drinking day nonsense. It wouldn’t have been worth it after all this time, right?

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, I hope you get some action and get that vaccine! I didn't know the Amish community wouldn't get vaccines. Seems like something a state office of public health should know... There was never a question that I wouldn't drink, I just wish I didn't get that "longing" feeling any more. It is short lived, but stupid IMHO.

My husband was offered a vaccine in what I believe is a shady way, but it was "legit" in that it came from somewhere with that authority - just their rationale was faulty. He's conflicted but he's 55 with an underlying condition so it is a tough one. We'll see...

I am so ready for this weekend. That alarm was a rude awakening this morning and I'm trying to get myself going. So grateful to have two days to rest and rejuvenate.

Have great SOBER days,
                          Pav

Comment

Happy Spring eve Nesters,

Finally this long winter is coming to an end early tomorrow morning, yay!
                            After all my moaning & bitching the goddess came thru today with appointments for us for vaccines on Monday morning! I never really expected the state rep to come thru for us but he did. Apparently we are 1 of 5 couples who contacted his office so we’re all getting vaccinated. Why was this so hard? It shouldn’t have to be like this, I don’t like feeling so needy when I am well equipped to take care of myself.
                            Guess I don’t have to sit online for hours every day now like I have been since early January. Feeling relieved.

Pav, I am coming up on my 12 years AF anniversary & I have to tell you I can’t remember the last time I had a ‘longing’ to drink. Sure, the thought crosses my mind once in a while when I see others drinking but it leaves quickly. I know EXACTLY what would happen if I had just one, the same with the smokes so nope!!!! You will get there too, just give it a little time.
                            Sounds like your husband is certainly qualified for the vaccine so he should get it when he can. Hopefully the government has learned a few things about mass vaccinating it’s citizens & if we should ever be in another situation like this things will work out much smoother.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

NS - how are you doing after your 2nd dose? And how's your pupper?

Pav - I can understand your husband's conflicted feelings. It sounds like he's eligible now -- could he just go through the regular channels to schedule an appt that doesn't feel shady? Sorry he has such a difficult choice to make.

Lav - hooray for your state rep, and I totally agree that it shouldn't have to come to that. If only the previous prez admin had actually set up an effective and efficient plan for the vaccine roll-out. Of course if they had, we'd probably still have that same prez now, but it's a horrible price to pay. I wonder if any individual states or counties have done a particularly good job with all of this.

Double hooray for spring equinox tomorrow!!!

Hoping everyone has good weekends. There are no trains departing for boozeville so don't bother looking for tickets.
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, a good lesson - it never hurts to ask. Glad you advocated for yourself and got results.

Husband signed up for vaccine in a week - I think it is ok given everything, but still weird how he got it. I won't go into details...

Good morning to Spring - it is beautiful here with many wildflowers blooming and more light in the evenings. Even managed to squeak in a 3 miler after work on Tuesday. So grateful that winter is over.

Happy SOBER Saturday.
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X