Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Evening nesters

I am sorry to hear about the shootings, Australia did a great thing by banning guns, of course they are still around but no carnage thank goodness. i do worry sometimes about when i am home alone at night but i have the emergency button all set up on my phone so if i am worried, i can press that and it goes direct to 000, also found that if i am in an accident the emergency services can access my contacts and what blood type i am. technology is amazing and listening to the news that told me about it lol.

Slo, i envy you your grandchild but we arent as young as what we used to be. i wonder now how i ever bought up 4 children and we all lived! i got down and cleaned the slider on the sliding doors today as one was stuck on something and god it was hard getting back up. Hips, back, you name it, it crunched. I have some great chats with patients who call and sometimes it will turn to drinking, smoking etc. I am a poster child for giving up both after many years. its sad looking at some patient files and seeing what al has done to them and knowing it could have been me so very easily. i will keep fighting the war on people thinking drinking is acceptable. my nieces waters broke at 23 weeks so she was put into hospital and luckily he was delivered at 30 weeks and is now 35 weeks on Friday and 3 1/2lbs. First GG for my mum though unsure when she will see him, i will try and drive her down which is a 13 hour drive or thereabouts during the year.

I was having a break as of tomorrow but the PA at work had an accident so i volunteered to work, she would do the same for me but the joy of working from home is that i can work at any time and manage to do what i want also.

pulled out some wool the other day so going to start doing some knitting, its cooling down so about the right time to start. flooding in most of Australia but not here, we do need some rain.

Friday we dont need to wear masks except hospitals, public transport so that is a relief and will be totally strange not carrying around my friend the mask. Thankfully we are pretty on top of covid with no cases and i am sure if we do get anything coming into winter we will have them straight back on our faces.

Wags that is a truly tragic story, what makes a human being do that other than being mentally ill. I must say that covid quietened things down and not in a bad way. i would love for us to have covid traffic again which was basically none.

off to do some more work. take care xx
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Evening nesters

I am sorry to hear about the shootings, Australia did a great thing by banning guns, of course they are still around but no carnage thank goodness. i do worry sometimes about when i am home alone at night but i have the emergency button all set up on my phone so if i am worried, i can press that and it goes direct to 000, also found that if i am in an accident the emergency services can access my contacts and what blood type i am. technology is amazing and listening to the news that told me about it lol.

Slo, i envy you your grandchild but we arent as young as what we used to be. i wonder now how i ever bought up 4 children and we all lived! i got down and cleaned the slider on the sliding doors today as one was stuck on something and god it was hard getting back up. Hips, back, you name it, it crunched. I have some great chats with patients who call and sometimes it will turn to drinking, smoking etc. I am a poster child for giving up both after many years. its sad looking at some patient files and seeing what al has done to them and knowing it could have been me so very easily. i will keep fighting the war on people thinking drinking is acceptable. my nieces waters broke at 23 weeks so she was put into hospital and luckily he was delivered at 30 weeks and is now 35 weeks on Friday and 3 1/2lbs. First GG for my mum though unsure when she will see him, i will try and drive her down which is a 13 hour drive or thereabouts during the year.

I was having a break as of tomorrow but the PA at work had an accident so i volunteered to work, she would do the same for me but the joy of working from home is that i can work at any time and manage to do what i want also.

pulled out some wool the other day so going to start doing some knitting, its cooling down so about the right time to start. flooding in most of Australia but not here, we do need some rain.

Friday we dont need to wear masks except hospitals, public transport so that is a relief and will be totally strange not carrying around my friend the mask. Thankfully we are pretty on top of covid with no cases and i am sure if we do get anything coming into winter we will have them straight back on our faces.

Wags that is a truly tragic story, what makes a human being do that other than being mentally ill. I must say that covid quietened things down and not in a bad way. i would love for us to have covid traffic again which was basically none.

off to do some more work. take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Morning, All.

Great to see you in the nest, [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] . I am ready for grandkids, but my kids are NOT ready to be parents, that is for sure. It will be a while... Isn't it nice to be sober during all of this crazy stuff...

Lav, I have never been a gardener. I am a renter and there is someone who takes care of the area. I've always wanted to grow my own food, but not to actually do the work! I'm glad you made that decision!

Ava, nice of you to cover. I hope you get a break after. I think we'll be in masks for a while. We are trying to beat the variants with vaccinations. Fingers crossed.

Wags, so scary. I agree that if we didn't do anything after Sandy Hook it is unlikely we'll do something now. Biden says he's going for a ban on assault weapons, but we'll see...

I have been feeling a lot of anxiety lately for no apparent reason. I mean it is all apparent, but out of nowhere (before the shooting) in essentially the same circumstances. Doing all of my things I know to do, and thankfully have NO desire to drink. That would just make it worse. We just booked a two day stay at the beach in two weeks. I splurged a bit and got a room that faces the beach with a patio. It will feel nice to have a little get away.

Happy SOBER Wednesday,
        Pav

Comment

Oh, how great to find a double waffle from Ava this morning :haha:! What are you going to knit? Puppy attacked the yarn of my latest project so I have a mess to deal with before I can continue. I thought it was in a place she couldn't access. Silly me.

You're fortunate to be able to see your grandson for a day or so at a time, SLO. I love mine dearly but during this pandemic, it's been all or nothing and all is EXHAUSTING! It is nice to be able to give their parents a break, though. I'm going to be back On Duty in a couple of days.

One thing contributing to my anxiety, Pav, is all the conflicting messages we are receiving about what behavior is now ok, the emerging variants, vaccination, the opening up that Byrdie mentioned, etc. I didn't like feeling totally locked down but at least there was little uncertainty. Now vaccinated friends expect me to be with them unmasked in their homes and with the other things I'm hearing, I'm not quite ready for that. Your time away at the beach sounds fabulous. I almost always pay the bit extra for the best view possible - it's worth it!

I used to have family in Boulder, Wags, and they shopped at a King Sooper so I got drawn into thinking about how it could be absolutely anyone anywhere caught up in this madness. I hope the Democrats find the courage to burn the filibuster down and pass meaningful gun control and voters' rights legislation. It is not as if protecting the filibuster now would stop the Republicans from tearing it apart at their first opportunity. Surely by now we've learned that's not how they operate! I usually try to take the high road but I think we've learned that it doesn't lead anywhere anymore.

Lav, we had landscapers 'simplify' our yards a couple years ago. Of course stuff continues to grow but it is no longer overwhelming like it was. I liked all the yard work 20 years ago and now it is just a huge chore that is never finished.

Have a good one, nesters!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

No yard work today, it’s been pouring rain all day!
            Tomorrow the landscaper is due here to take a look at what needs to be done & figure a cost. It will be worth the $$, we just can’t handle all that anymore. Old age has arrived, haha!

Slo, good to see you & boy do I know about the childcare/exhaustion factor. Ours are grown now & even if they are here they entertain themselves, etc. My grandsons no longer fight, they just totally ignore one another, LOL. Glad you’re getting some grandbaby time, it is fun & special.

Great to see so many checking in today. Our worldwide support group is still strong & a source of inspiration for all of us.
            Where would we be if we hadn’t found MWO? Scares me to even think about that.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Australia really had the right idea by banning guns! The lack of carnage there should stand as an example for U.S. lawmakers to see.
              Wags, how frightening for your student to have been in that grocery store just a few days before!

How lucky, Ava, that your niece was able to carry the baby another 8 weeks after her water broke! My daughter is 31 weeks pregnant right now. Soon there will be more than just that 1-year-old!
              I am lucky to get to see him for one day, but it does involve more than 3 hours of driving round trip. I think I was helpful, since daughter is having a hard time getting around, being so pregnant and with back pain. She was off of work, and so he was home from his daycare family,

I hope that the beach getaway will poke a hole in your anxiety, Pav. We have to remain vigilant about anxiety and our other H.A.L.T. signs (hungry, angry, anxious, lonely, tired) as part of maintaining our sobriety.

Nighty-night, Nest!
              Last edited by Slo; March 24, 2021, 08:28 PM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

Love to see all of the check ins, too, Lav. We're still missing some people.

NoSugar - I've kind of been looking at this and keeping it in the green and sometimes yellow: https://www.idsociety.org/globalasse...ivity-risk.pdf
                I am not doing multiple people inside with no masks, even if they are all vaccinated. For one thing, my family isn't all vaccinated, nor are my students.

Love the Ava Waffle. Keep 'em coming.

Mr. G - Where would you move? Is Melbourne always grey? The closest big city to us is San Francisco, and it is so cold and foggy there in the summer that I wouldn't want to live there.

I have been very tired this week. Hard to wake up so I've been skipping my morning yoga. That's not good, but I'll be back. I don't know why I'm so tired...

Happy SOBER Thursday,
                Pav

Comment

Good morning Nest. We have been in sunny AZ since Friday. Up and down times, but still relaxing. I feel reassured that the Covid new case numbers are fairly low both here and my state, but I’m still rejecting crowds.

I was in the parking lot of the King Soopers a week and a half ago to get a Starbucks, but decided to drive elsewhere. A weird feeling hit me that the store felt dark. Could have just been a passing mood, but how dark it turned out haunts me. We heard the news in AZ, but it’s WAAAAAAY too close to home and I’m sad.

LAV, glad you got someone to do the heavy lifting in your yard. It’s such hard work!!

Rahul, I loved your story, and your approach with that fella. Not preaching, just stating your truth.

G- moving? Sounds like a fun adventure!!

I’m being called but appreciate your posts so much Nest. Thanks to you all for being here.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Not much sun today but absolutely no rain so it’s good
                    We did get our estimate for the yard work - he’s getting the job!!!! Thank goodness, haha!

Slo, how exciting to have another grandbaby on the way, yay! Hope everything is OK for y our daughter.

Pav, I have to agree with you & will continue to be careful where we go until this virus is finally beaten down.
                    We’ve been to San Fran twice, loved it there & the area just north. The morning fog was interesting to me.

Kensho, glad you are enjoying. Your trip. Hope it all goes well.
                    Perhaps your spirit guide helped you move past the Starbucks, never know.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I’m tired too, [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION], because, since I’m post-menopausal, I sync to the moon; and it’s almost full moon time. I am on a detox diet (nutritionrestored.com), and I seem to detox most heavily this week before the full moon. I’m used to it, as I always had bad PMS too when premenopausal! This too shall pass, and I will feel better next week. And I hope you will too.

[MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION], I can’t believe you were in the exact same location where the shooting occurred! And you had a strong intuitive premonition too! Scary stuff.

[MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION], are you thinking of moving to Byron Bay?

Had another quiet, ordinary day of ordinary chores. Laying low, keeping it stable, healing, and racking up the days.
                      Teenaged daughter is having friends over tonight, so I’m making tacos for their dinner.
                      Goodnight!
                      Last edited by Slo; March 25, 2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Hola nesters near and not so far,

Sheesh. Sorry to hear of that shooting. I'm certain that if we had easier access to guns there would no doubt be similar occurrences. I know because it's happened here. Condolences to all affected. That's all we need!

Friend Kensho. I wonder/suspect whether you felt the energy in that parking lot that had been transmitted by the shooter before it happened. I've been reading a bit about how we are basically energy and our thoughts, feelings are energy that emanate outwards. Even as far as a few miles away. There have been scientific tests done around human generated energy and it's power and reach. Then there are studies showing how our thoughts, then feelings infiltrate our cells and influence how our body and brain operates from that level. Check out Dr. Bruce Lipton for more on this. Makes sense to me. Interesting stuff.

Hope you've got a little more spring in ur step today Pav. Re yoga, that's why i developed my world famous Speed yoga. I do a minimum of just 1 set of sun salutations every morning. This works because 1 set takes me about 1 minute and no matter how i'm feeling, i can do it as it's not taxing on the body. The plus is my subconcious still thinks i'm a raaawk star. Take care of yourself.

Sister Slostar! Good to see you as always. If i left this thread on me moving unanswered i'm sure it would end up with me moving to an island off Mauritius.lol. Hey! there's an idea....No plans to move right now, but it's on my radar. I love regular sunshine and the ocean. We have great beaches here, and i don't mind cold water swimming, but too much grey sky round these parts. Further north from me the sunshine is more regular. Byron bay is beautiful, maybe further north to Queensland, or New south wales coast somewhere which is eastern Oz. Anyway, i'm grateful for any day above the turf wherever i am.

Big waves to evabody. Take it easy
                        Last edited by Guitarista; March 25, 2021, 06:33 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, All:

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                          Anyway, i'm grateful for any day above the turf wherever i am.
                          That's certainly something to remember, Mr. G. I have been trying to do more intentional gratitude meditations. Yes to that 1 minute. I need to get in that mindset.
                          [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] - that is interesting. I am in perimenopause so irregular but mood, headaches, and sleep all seem related. My doctor told me the only true signs are hot flashes and night sweats, but judging from women I know it is a lot more than that... Good to keep in mind. I feel I'm too old for this and it should be behind me, but here I am above the turf!

Kensho - that is so scary. All of it. I am glad you are safe in AZ, and enjoying the sunshine.

Lav, good for you! Glad you're taking care of yourself and getting help.

Happy Friday - so glad to get to rest.

x
                          Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone!! This is just a quick check in but I will be back with a better post.
                            Nice to see everyone here xo
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Kensho, that story gave me a chill. You have strong empathic senses. We have a real issue here in the US with guns. I hope our leaders find the courage to address it. It’s sad that we can’t learn from history. I hope you enjoy the rest of your getaway. Stay safe out there!

Pav, my nightsweats went away when I stopped drinking, but it could be coincidence. I was 51 at that time so it lines up. I still have the occasional hot flash, but it’s not unbearable. I don’t know if it’s pandemic stress or sleep interruptions, but I’m extremely emotional. I’ll cry in a skinny minute. I was a crier when I drank. I hate to see that it’s back. I am attributing it to prolonged stress and uncertainty. I hope that’s the case, I’d like to shed that.

Slo, how exciting about a new G baby on the way. You are so blessed! I have 4 grand cats. Not the same.
                              Mr. G, you have the best attitude of anyone I know. Upbeat, maybe that’s the musician in you? You are not only the life of the party, you ARE the party! The sun will follow you!

It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! :rara: Have a great afternoon, all! Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

I know what you mean about “speed yoga”, G: I do just 12 minutes of my stretch-strengthen program at a time rather than longer 30-minute sessions, and find that I am more compliant that way. Same with my exercise bike; just 2.5 miles at a time. Well and my bum knee likes these shorter workouts better too.

I am so blessed to have grandchildren coming! And like Lav, it was so important to get over my addiction and get fully established in an AF lifestyle before they came. I am so glad that I was finally able to accomplish that in time. My same-age cousin had her first grandchild last year too, but did not beat her alcoholism -and she can’t be allowed to babysit her baby granddaughter! There are benefits to being AF for sure.

Greetings to everyone in the Nest!
                                Last edited by Slo; March 26, 2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X