Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Byrdie - I definitely thought of THC - those gummies were pretty popular for a while. Making them for a colonoscopy snack is so smart! Your stories crack me up.

Glad you got a haircut, Lav. It's the little things. I get one this weekend.

I have been really trying to focus on being present this week. I have a tree outside of my office and the birds in it are loud. If I feel myself getting stressed I just tune into the birdsong for a wile. Pretty cool.

Happy SOBER Friday, all. There is a lot going on in the world that is sad and scary. May we hold our loved ones close and stay away from the booze!

x
    Pav

Comment

I had no idea people put THC and vodka in/on gummy bears! Actually, I didn’t even know people made homemade gummy bears!

I would love to get a haircut -I waited too long to make an appointment and can’t get in for a couple weeks yet. (Hairstylist had a baby -her hours are now limited). Had to resort to a clip today to fasten my overgrown bangs back.

Something as big as a sock can go down a bathtub drain?! That’s the stuff of kids’ nightmares!

I don’t think this daughter will be a big drinker. And being on the college swim team will curtail frequent college drinking. I’m sure she also won’t pledge sobriety like Pav’s son (temporarily) did!

Ugh, I accidentally didn’t put my antidepressant pills in when I filled my weekly pillbox with my daily meds and supplements, and missed four days without knowing it...and also not knowing why my mood plummeted and why I felt terrible and why I became emotionally labile. Very dangerous to go off these abruptly! It took the brain zaps to finally alert me today to what was going on. Meanwhile I have done probably irreparable damage now to this marriage that’s hanging by a thread, thanks to an emotional outburst that I couldn’t control under the circumstances.

Hope you’re all doing better than I am!
      Last edited by Slo; April 16, 2021, 05:32 PM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

My younger grandson asked for another overnight stay so I picked him up after school. He’s buried in Roblox, hardly know he’s here haha!

Is it just me or is everyone startled by the almost daily mass shootings going on in the US? How on earth do we stop this? How long before we all lose someone to violence? Here we are supposedly in the best country on earth ~ I’m thinking not

Slo, so sorry & please don’t be too hard on yourself. We cannot control everything, even under the best of circumstances. Just take care of yourself :hug:

Hello to Wags, Pav & everyone.
        Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        Last edited by Lavande; April 16, 2021, 05:38 PM.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav - I agree with you - the problem with mass shootings here in the US seems to be getting worse recently. I wonder if the stress of the past year (or years) has just pushed more people to the brink. I actually thought that one positive to having schools closed during covid was that at least we wouldn't have so many school shootings. How sad is that? I'm jealous of your haircut! I hope to get one later this spring.

Pav - being present is an excellent goal, and how wonderful that you have birds right outside your office to help you with that.

Slo - sorry to hear about the accidental days where you missed your anti-depressants, and that it seems to have impacted your marriage. You're definitely in a difficult time. My heart goes out to you.

Hellos and waves to everyone. Have fantastic AF weekends.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, all:

The shootings and mass shootings are all too much. So very sad. I don't really understand gun culture at all because I am not a part of it. I have relatives who have guns for hunting but they wouldn't need an AR-15.

Slo - I'm sorry that happened to you. Probably one episode isn't the ending, but just another piece of the puzzle, right? I hope you're feeling better and that you get what you need from your marriage situation.

Last week was both very long and very short. I needed to get so much more done, and it also felt long. I think that is just the way it is.

Happy SOBER Saturday. I hope you all have wonderful, sober days.

Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

I’m having an interesting day with grandsons coming & going. Trying not to lose anyone, haha!

Wags, the haircut is a necessity in. The self care dept for me, haha!
              I am especially disturbed by the # of children in & near Philly suffering gunshot wounds. They are not involved in violent lifestyles, just. trying to grow up

Pav, I am definitely feeling more anxiety lately possibly due to the pandemic. I won’t dwell on the thoughts flying thru my head. That would surely drive me crazy. I still have hope we will get thru this someday. I hope your weekend is relaxing so you can start a new week raring to go

Slo, hope you are doing OK today & feeling more like yourself :hug:

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning nesters

Just back from a walk with carl, the cooler weather makes it nice but when the sun comes out it is warm. i think menopause helps me keep warm while everyone else is rugged up.

Going to visit one of my son's friends who is in rehab today, he found heroin and od'd and his mum found him. i hope this is his bottom. previously he has gone to rehab and booked out after a week so i think the more support he has the better for him. ive never been to a rehab facility so it will all be new.

I had a fb reminder the other day of 7 years + since i was in thailand. that was my first sober holiday at 100 or something days and i spent a fortune on the internet logging into here, i remember my brain telling me just eat chilli and grab mums wine glass and drink it. just have a cocktail and think its a mocktail. Just feck it and drink. I spent most of my time looking at the sky so i didnt see bars, wonder i didnt break a leg but I DID IT. Now 7 years later i could go on holiday without a thought that i needed to drink, there is no way in hell i want to ever have to start drinking again as i dont think i have it in me to stop. i want to have the life i have now not the one i had drinking, it was so miserable and sad, now its not a bed of roses but its a good life and a happy one for me anyways.

Slo, i forget my ad's sometimes and then wonder why i feel so anxious. oh derr.

I had my first dose of AZ the other day as they are only really have one vax for the public and now it is to go to only people over 50. i woke at 3am feeling like someone had put a vice on my head so had the day off in bed and felt ok the next day. Next one is July. Not many people want to get the vax, 50 and over so we are not doing well at all on the vax front. No sign of flu vax either so we are in for a great winter. Mum did manage to get her flu vax so that is good. she is coming for a vist next week for my bday. Im going to try and get one of my drs at work to look at her shingles as she has referred pain in her arm. the GP gave her some meds but they affected her so she wont take them.

Well best get ready to go for a visit. Take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, All:

Ava, I was just reading about opioid rehab - nearly 100% relapse rate if you don't get medically assisted help in what I read. Such an intractable disease and so sad. I hope your son's friend is ok and gets the help he needs.

In California we opened up vaccines to 16+ so that's good news. I don't know how many will get it, so that's another question. For me it made me feel comfortable eating with my mom inside her house now which is a good thing!

Lav, I'm getting plenty of rest, thanks. My bout of insomnia is at bay and I feel better. Thanks.

Nar, how are you? What is the work like? Still a lot of cases up there?

Happy SOBER Sunday, all. Take care.

Pav

Comment

Happy Sunday, nesters
                    Watched the funeral of Prince Philip yesterday and it was very moving. My heart went out to the Queen sitting there alone. She has tremendous strength. It was a somber day.
                    Pav, I thought that once I got my 2nd dose, I’d have a sense of freedom, but our case count is going up and it’s concerning. Once the numbers start going down, I imagine I’ll have a greater sense of safety. I wonder when that will happen, folks around here are hardcore in their beliefs that this whole thing is made up and masks don’t work. It’s maddening.
                    Ava, like you, I’m not sure I have another Day 1 in me. Maintaining a quit is 1000 times easier than trying to acquire a new one. Been there.
                    I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday, I’m going to get fussed at, my cholesterol is going the wrong way. I felt for sure I’d have improvement since the pandemic stopped my fast food habit. My hubs’ numbers went down. Mine went up!
                    Otherwise, all ok over here on the east coast. Hope everyone has a peaceful evening. Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sunday evening greetings Nesters,

Somewhat sunny & coolish here today, just perfect for me. Like Ava I create enough heat myself, don’t need high temps outside haha!
                      Both grandsons are home where they belong, my cupboards are a lot emptier of course.

Ava, I remember your trip to Thailand & had my fingers crossed for you the entire time. That was very brave of you but you did great!
                      We are going for our 2nd shots of the Moderna vaccine tomorrow morning. I’m fully expecting some side effects but it’s still better than getting the virus. Our county case numbers have been on the rise for the past few weeks so at least we will have some protection. I hope you can get your Mum some help with her issues.

Pav, hate to tell you but insomnia after 40 is extremely common & just doesn’t seem to get much better. I keep changing my herbal sleep supplements to help with that problem. Glad you’re doing better

Byrdie, it was sad seeing the Queen sitting in church all on her own like that. Time moves on I guess & we all have to adjust.
                      I was hoping to feel more secure after getting our vaccines too but seeing the numbers rise lately all around us is disconcerting, to say the least. About cholesterol levels - my husband can & often does eat all the dairy & meat he possibly can in one day & has normal blood levels. I have little to no white meat (chicken or turkey) & zero dairy or red meat & I have to be on a statin. Not fair, just the way it is I guess. My family has a strong history of coronary artery & peripheral artery disease & I don’t want to go there so I take the statin!

Narilly, how are you? Check in & let us know!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Ava - that's so great you're visiting your son's friend in rehab, and I'm so sorry to hear of his relapse and od. Hopefully with support from you and others, he'll be able to stick to his quit this time.

Byrdie and Lav - that definitely doesn't seem fair that your cholesterol is high even with better diets! I hope all goes well at your appt Byrdie.

Pav - our vaccine eligibility opens up to age 16+ tomorrow too. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Our county numbers have been rising, which is concerning, although as a whole our state has had some of the lowest covid case numbers in the country this entire time.

Ok kids, here we go with another week... Stay safe everyone!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Still wondering if Narilly did come down with COVID? Hoping the test was negative.

I keep getting insomnia too -I wake up at 4 am and can’t get back to sleep. Then of course feel tired all day.

What a test of and testament to your strength, Ava, that you made it through a Thailand vacation so early in your quit! It’s nice now with long term sobriety that it doesn’t trigger us so much if at all to be around bars and drinkers.

My twin sister is doing Annie Grace’s “The Path” program, for awhile now, and I’m so thankful that she found a good program, and one filled with other good, kind, interesting other people quitting alcohol -and feel hopeful that she may find Her Way Out!

Quitting alcohol is hard enough -I can’t imagine tackling heroin! Nice of you to lend support, Ava.

HB had one of his nasty temper tantrums this weekend, reminding me of why I don’t like this marriage. But I stood my ground and didn’t let him bully me into submission. He is doing much better overall at controlling his temper tantrums and bullying ways; and not always communicating that way anymore; so I can be proud of him for that anyways.

I think I finally figured out what is wrong with my knee: I think I strained or tore my lateral collateral ligament! Ugh. I’m having a hard time with what I can and can’t do with this thing (knee replacement appliance) since I’m so hyper-flexible.

I hope your work week is better this week, Pav; and doesn’t leave you drowning in so much red tape paperwork. Hope everyone else has a good week too!
                          Last edited by Slo; April 19, 2021, 03:59 PM.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi, All:

Happy Monday!

Slo, that's a bummer about your knee. Will you have to have surgery again? Sorry about your husband.

Lav and Byrdie - My family's affliction seems to be high blood pressure. Even my tiny, exercising, no salt sister has it. Mine went away when I quit alcohol, but I think will be back after menopause.

Great weekend here - beautiful weather and a first inside meal with my sister and mom - we're all fully vaccinated. What a treat!

Happy SOBER Week, all.
                            Pav

Comment

Hi Nest. I keep writing posts and then not finishing them. I haven’t found a covid rhythm of time to read/write. Always interrupted.

PAV - I’m glad to hear that schools are getting funding. I’m sure that’s not even half of the answer during this challenge of Covid - but I hope it’s helpful. I find bird-watching to be one of the most relaxing experiences. I absolutely love traveling to new places and hearing the different songs. Phoenix has some of the prettiest. I love the mockingbirds.

Byrdie, that’s an interesting question about the older self talking to the younger self. The truth is that I knew I was a somewhat heavy drinker for a long time, and probably would have not been surprised if my older self told me to cool it. However, the process of quitting has been one of the most positive, transformational things I’ve gone though. I came out happier and calmer on the other side. Learning to live without alcohol meant learning to be happy with what I have here and now, and that positivity has become a steady source of peace for me.

It’s funny to me how pretty alcohol is packaged… beautiful bottles, cute gummy bears, sparkling bubbles, fruit-infused, low-calorie..… Maybe it’s not the same for non-adicts, but I could have cared less about the packaging. Or the taste. I just wanted the alcohol - as quickly as possible.

Slo, hang in there. You will get through this time. Just keep breathing. It sounds like both of you have your moments, so don’t take on too much blame. Hugs to you.

LAV, so cool that your grandson asked to stay over. You must be one cool Grandma.

AVA, so glad you got your shot. I read an article today about the psychology around not wanting the vaccine. We all accept the risks of car crashes, plane crashes, and cancer, because they are old risks. The newness of covid has caused some to irrationally deem the risk of vaccine-related side effects too scary, when in reality, there are MUCH bigger risks that we take in stride every day. The rate of covid vaccine serious side-effects is something like 0.005% of total vaccines administered worldwide. That's not even death.

All is good in my house. Husband is fully vaccinated, and I get my second May 3. Kids were back in school - and that was a HUGE improvement for them and me - but my daughter is back at home this week due to quarantine. She struggles with anxiety - largely due to shootings and says she is scared of this happening at her school. What do I say to that? I let her stay home last Thursday for a break, and had to tell the school she had a headache - they quarantined her for 10 days. UG!

Otherwise, lots of projects, and we are getting a little back to normal - if there is such a thing. Glad to read all your posts. I can’t believe it’s been 7 years since I first logged in here.

Have a good day everyone.
                              Last edited by KENSHO; April 19, 2021, 10:15 AM.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey, Nest
                                I'm buried under Real Life but doing ok, not drinking (obviously or I NEVER could cope!) , and thinking of you. xx, NS

Comment

Working...
                                X