Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

It was pretty ok not drinking at the cabin, but I was floundering a bit, as though something was missing. But then I see my alcoholic sister and brother, and don’t want their side effects. So it will have to remain missing! Wish I could be like the others who drink casually, but oh well.

Wags, I like the idea of looking at it positively. I follow detox diet principles developed by a naturopath Dr. Garrett Smith in Arizona, who was inspired by discoveries made by Grant Genereux of Canada. Dr. Smith is renaming his program the “Love Your Liver” program. So, instead of saying “I don’t drink”, I can say “I am loving my liver”!

We’re getting rain, so it should be heading your way, Lav. That snake sounds so creepy!!

Back to loving my liver!
    Last edited by Slo; August 9, 2021, 07:49 PM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Lav - you definitely traded up in the habit department! And for both you and NS getting time with your grandkids and being trusted to care for them is a big reward. As for heatwaves, I've had enough too. We're heading into our 4th chunk of 100+ degree weather here which is really abnormal for this part of the country/world. We almost always get a few days that hot every summer but this has been ridiculous and dangerous.

Slo - glad you found your footing at the cabin, and I love the idea of Loving your Liver. What a great way to frame it!

NS - enjoy your week "off" before you have grandkids again.

Take care everyone!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Wags, we are going about 5 hours from home into the mountains so might see some snow. we are all very excited and if we are in lockdown, i dont lose any money and can reschedule. I was telling my next door neighbour about it and he wants to come as he loves my kids but as i told him he has to feed my daughters cat. i am lucky that i have such a good relationship with all of my kids. i am planning to have a couple of weeks off as the new person should have started and i really need a break.

Lav, that snake pic on fb was horrendous. i am petrified of snakes. i remember being a child on my dragster bike and saw a snake, i peddled like there was no tomorrow. them and leeches. Never had a leech on me and i swam in a dam for most of my childhood, my little legs were moving at a million miles an hour. the things you remember!

NS, you and Lav are so lucky. i do remember my eldest saying she would never leave any children she had with me and one of my reasons was this. nearly 8 years later and still waiting.

Slo, i still have the wish i could be a normal drinker but i know that is not humanly possible in this lifetime. i bet some people wish they didnt drink like we dont though. i do know i am missing nothing by not drinking but it is a social thing. when we go away everyone will be drinking but me and i am sure i will have a fleeting thought but with 9 other people that would kill me if i drank, its not happening. At least i can keep an eye on everyone. It is my daughters 30th birthday so i am sure they will be all pissed but thats their choice. i know i wont be waking with a hangover.

went to dentist today and had the stitches taken out. the dentist is very happy but one implant cant have the tooth put in for 6 months as apparently there was a lot of infection under the gum so it needs to settle but i will have two implants in before xmas. have to go back in 3 months for a clean and to talk about teeth whitening. still petrified but at least i can have gas to get through it. so still a work in progress but no hurry here.

time for dinner, my son has cooked tonight, was to be marinated cutlets but my greek yoghurt had mould growing in it. oops.

take care xx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Nest!

Ava, I hope you get some relief soon with your workload! Working from home DOES have benefits!

Wags, your attitude is contagious. I thought more than once yesterday about focusing on what I want over what I don't. It helps.

NS, I have sort of forgotten how obsessed my thinking was around alcohol. It took up a LOT of time that is now free for other things!

LAV, Ewwwww to the snake. I'm shivering imagining it. Nice dinner you provided it!

My neighbor said to me the other day that she couldn't have a drink every day even if she tried. Wow. That was not me! I couldn't WAIT to begin my daily ritual. Now that time and the hole it left is all filled and smoothed over with new things growing. It's behind me and my life is so much better.

Our air quality was the worst in the world this past Saturday. UG. Second worst on Sunday. I fear it is the new normal for mid-late summer. So sad. We are truly a "head in the sand" species. How can we evolve?
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Busy & on the road all day with appointments, meetings, a stop at Costco & the drug store, etc. Came home pretty much afraid to look in the nest boxes after yesterday’s surprise, haha. No snake appearances today, grateful. It was 97 degrees & with the humidity felt like something >100. Looks like rain is on the way but it never cools things off properly.

Slo, we’ll take your rain.
            I do know about feeling ‘left out’ sometimes when everyone else around you is drinking. Imagining 1 drink could very well throw me back 12 1/2 years keeps me on my toes. Gratitude over feelking sorry for myself works like a charm Keep on loving your liver!

Wags, heatwaves are tiresome especially when they keep repeating. You have to wonder what the future holds if we don’t get serious about this right now!

Ava, so glad you have your celebration planned out. Should be lots of fun.
            Hopefully there’s a grandbaby or two in your near future

Kensho, sorry about the bad air. I can work up a lot of anxiety worrying about the future for my grandkids. We have to do better for them.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Kensho - glad to hear the positive attitude is contagious. That's the kind of pandemic we could definitely use! Sorry to hear about your air quality though - it sounds like ours was last summer. Can you even go outside? We couldn't for days and it was really awful.

Ava - hooray for the stitches being out! Your getaway with family to the mountains sounds wonderful, as does taking a couple of weeks off.

Lav - yes, the heat waves that keep coming back are the hardest. It's just exhausting.

Hellos and waves everyone. Hope you all are having great AF weeks!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning,

You are making me feel so grateful for the good air quality that we have here. I’m especially loving the warm, fragrant summer breezes while we have summertime. Got a taste of the smoke from the fires when they blew this way once.

The kids had to put live leeches on their fishing hooks up north, and they were understandably so squeamish about it!

Yes, it is more effective to get ahead of the pain with pain pills, rather than taking when already at the peak of pain. My mother’s husband/partner fell when we were at the cabin. He fell against the toilet and broke a rib. He was in so much pain after that. Thankfully Dr. bro had a few Vicodin with him, so he could take a half of that before bed and get good pain relief at night.

Thanks for the update on your surgery, Ava. You get a reprieve for awhile while healing happens.

We had sis-in-law with dementia over for dinner last night again. It looks like Tuesdays will be our regular night for that.

I have enjoyed a couple of regular routine catch-up days with no alcohol around me! Take care, all.

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16180]BelleGirl[/MENTION], I hope you will check in soon.
                Last edited by Slo; August 11, 2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Glad to report a snake free day today, haha!!
                  Hot & humid with heat index 109 or something awful like that. We had a huge storm last evening & one is expected this evening as well. Trying like crazy to keep my chickens cool.

Wags, I’m totally really for fall. Looking forward to cooler & drier conditions outside. Grateful for the AC

Slo, I hate hearing about people falling, makes me nervous. Glad someone was available to lend a hand. WE ran into an older friend yesterday who pointed to a large cut on his chin. Due to having some toes amputated previously he was using a shower chair & managed to fall off that in the shower, ouch! We get so vulnerable as we age, scary. Glad you are back in AF land now & can just be yourself.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey, all.
                    So good to hear everyone pressing forward. These are trying times for sure.
                    I had to smile at the self talk conversation. When I got wheeled in for my second cataract surgery the other day, I was nervous. I said to myself, “I got you, everything is going to be fine”. I tell you, that made all the difference. Who else would I rather have in my corner than me? It made me realize that a whole lot of the self talk I do must be negative. I’m working on that!

Hot as 40 yards of hell here. We had an intense lightning storm over the weekend and it struck our neighbor’s house. The fire trucks came and everything. Scary, we heard it hit. It zapped some of our stuff, too (outside lights and a battery tender on a car). Mother Nature seems to be pissed off!

Hope everyone has an easy evening! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi all, just a quick sober fly-by this eve for me. I taught several classes today and it's too hot to use my brain anymore. Grateful for another AF day.
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

just couldnt concentrate today, did take carl for a walk which was nice though it was cold then half way around the sun came out and of course i was the only one out in a t.shirt. Easy to pick a woman in menopause i say! had to pop into dentist as i thought i was missing a cover on one of my implants. turns out it didnt have one as the sewed the gum closed so it would graft to the jaw bone. just happy i went. not saying going to the dentist is a walk in the park but after the money i have spent i am looking after these babies.

mum ended up in hospital today, she had her covid vax the other day and was getting bad migraines and could not get warm. hospital did scans and blood tests and said she could go home. that is a relief as i cant get down to see her without a permit.

Lav, glad no more snakes for you. i do hope it cools down shortly for you but that means we will be heading into summer and i dont want that.

Wags, i dont know how you can teach when it is so hot, i lose all ability to think.

better go and finish cooking dinner, cutlets marinated in greek yoghurt with a curry paste and stir fried veges. my eldest daughter is visiting tonight. she isnt working due to lockdown. its nice to see her.

take care xx
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

That’s really scary to have lightning strike that close, Byrdie! Lots & lots of homes with power outages around here yesterday from the most recent storm, but thankfully our neighborhood was spared.

Ava, I don’t sleep soundly all night; just the first phase. Then I often wake up at 2,3, or 4:00am; and have trouble going back to sleep.
                          You have fresh yoghurt now for your cutlets! That will be a nice dinner to have for daughter’s visit. We are invited over to sis-in-law with dementia’s house tonight for a “garden” dinner celebrating the harvest. Her main companion caregiver is arranging it.

You can’t be too careful with those new surgical sites in your mouth, Ava! And especially need to get your money’s worth.
                          D2 is spending massive quantities of money on fertility treatments. They retrieved a second batch of eggs from her this week, and now they have to play the waiting game to see how many take, and how many of those are genetically ok and of good enough quality. The egg retrieval process itself is physically demanding on her body over a period of like six weeks, and she’s had it done twice now in succession.

Wags, you have to be absolutely exhausted with the double whammy of difficult and lengthy teaching combined with the heat.

I’m off to ride my bike before it heats up too much out there!
                          Last edited by Slo; August 12, 2021, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still incredibly hot so staying cool & keeping my chickens alive was my focus today. Too hot to even think about doing anything else. I guess the snakes are hiding somewhere cool, yay!

Byrdie, yikes that was close with the lightning. Hope your neighbor’s roof is OK.
                            I agree with you, we need to be our own best frined. Who else knows us as well as we do? Glad your eye procedures are done.

Wags, nothing wrong with resting your brain & keeping it from overheating, haha! Hope your day went well.

Ava, I imagine it’s going to take time to adjust to your new implants. Surely things are going to feel different in there. I’ll settle for fall weather if you agree to spring, how about that??

Slo, some weeks, like this one I don’t seem to sleep much at all. The house is cool & quiet, nothing has changed ~ just can’t sleep.
                            I reallyhope your daughter’s fertility treatments work out for her. That must be so difficult, I can only imagine.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hot here, too. It’s downright oppressive. Like someone has a hot, wet washcloth over your face.
                              Expecting my new chocolate molds tomorrow. Looking forward to giving them a spin. I’m thinking peanut butter maple with a dark chocolate shell.
                              Since my eye surgery, I’m noticing that this house needs some attention. I’ve been on my hands and knees with a bottle of 409 and a rag. It’s crazy what I was missing. Colors are brighter and my night vision is better, too. Unfortunately, dirt and smudges are now beacons. I have become fanatical about it. This set me to thinking….why do I approach things with such an all or nothing zeal? Moderation just doesn’t seem to be in my DNA. Ugg, is all I can say about that.
                              Watching a cooking show, Bobby and Giada in Italy. The food looks incredible. I’m suddenly starving! I’m happy to say I am paying attention to the food, not what’s in their glasses. I think that may be the way they are presenting it, it’s a nice change.
                              That’s about it around here! Stay cool and sober! Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Still hot.

Still sober.

Fortunately I only had one class to teach today, and two tomorrow, and then I'm taking about a week completely off. I can't wait!

Byrdie - I don't do moderation very well either, so you're not alone (and I suspect there are others here who are similar). That's kinda funny that your eyes now let you see the stuff that needs tending in your house. Sounds like it's all good though. Can't wait to hear about your new chocolate efforts.

Lav and Ava - I'd be willing to settle for fall temps/weather here and let the southern hemisphere folks have spring. Seems like a good trade.

Slo - hope you had a fantastic bike ride!

Hellos and waves to everyone stopping by the nest. Hope you all have great days and nights.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X