Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

WooHoo to the solstice! :sohappy: Here comes winter and colder weather for a while, but I will celebrate longer days and do a little dance.

Mr. G South America is on top of my bucket list. Specifically, I want to go to Patagonia and the southern parts of Chile and Argentina. I would love to visit other places, too, but that seems so remote and different. I read a book about Magellan's trip around the world (Over the Edge of the World - I highly recommend), and that part of the trip was mind boggling. It all is, actually. That's probably not what you're looking for (big cities, guitars, and women would be my guess), but anyway...

Belle, you are sounding solid and good. Stay away from that lady, and have fun. Glad your daughter is feeling better.

Lav, I'm definitely NOT a baker, although I have been dipping my toe in more lately - I'm more of a savory cook. But I do love uninterrupted time in the kitchen. That surprise visit sounds lovely.

Ava, enjoy your new car. My husband always says - RTFM (read the f'ing manual). I never do - but that's ok because he does!

Wags, yes to the rain, although I would like a clear day or two for a hike over the break. We need the rain for sure.

Kensho, that's a good idea - a chore list.

Thanks for the cough syrup info, Mulberry. How's it going?

Hi to everyone else.

Happy SOBER SOLSTICE!!

Pav

Comment

Hello Nesters,

Wow its been 7+ years since I am sober ! I am proud to be a recovering addict. Proud to be part of this wonderful community. You guys helped me heal, stand on my feet when i was lying flat on ground with no strength no spirit. I had only had shame and guilt when i came here.
      I recall during my 1st 2 years of recovery i must have seen each and every youtube video which is out there on the subject of recovery. it has been a key factor which helped me recover. I am the kind of person who believes in logic and reasoning rather than higher power.

Recently I came across a powerful your tube and podcast channel called Huberman lab. Dr Huberman who is a neuro scientist based out of stanford has goes really reallllly deep in to science of virtually any topic he speaks about. I heard his very power ful podcosts about important of Dopamine and also about addiction. Listening to it bring a sense of gratitude to me that my mind is what it is and today I am do indugde in stuff but am conscious about it. These podcast can be searched and here are video:

Dr. Anna Lembke: Understanding & Treating Addiction | Huberman Lab Podcast #33 - YouTube
      Controlling Your Dopamine For Motivation, Focus & Satisfaction | Huberman Lab Podcast #39 - YouTube

I loved his deep research.

Today 7+ sober I still chase dopamine. I guess all humans do so he describes in a wonderful ways but we addicts are slightly different. We reallllly want it. Today I am still an addict but yes addictions have changed. I chase endurance sport, sex, food, chocolate, coffee, good company, new learning, travel and water. I have over the years learned to stay away from "artificial sources and trigger of dopamine - Alcohol, social media (i spend 5 minutes everyday except work).

He beautifully describes how the base line dopamine level changes as we abstain and become cold turkey. 30 days all it takes to start the reversal process. Ofcourse I witnessed that and what a heck of a torture it was
      in initial months. 2 Relapses and back to start line.

But i still chase "high" from chocolate I am sort of addicted to it. its been 7 years and every days I have been rewarding my self with 1 or 2 chocolate icecreams. Heck even during covid lockdowns i managed to get them. This along with some food indulgences and not my dopamine hits which I chase.

He describes beautifully and I can so much co relate to this that when the baseline dopamine level is reduced we start appreciating small things in life as brain adjusts. We start appreciating the dopamine "hits" from fresh air, beatiful sky, birds, beauty around. I have witnessed how I started chasing the dopamine hits from my endurance activities. And when I chase them i forget about food.

Then i discovered how cold showers can be such a good way to increase dopamine levels and since last 3 days thats what i taking on chilly mornings here in New Delhi.

Then i wonder if I stop even stop intake of chocolate and sugar then what more impact it will have on me ? my brain chemistry. Will it help me to appreciate life more as my baseline dopamine lowers ? I surely want to try it ... does anyone has any experience ?

Life is so great and I love you all !!
      Rahul
      --------------------------------------------
      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
      Rebooting ... done ...
      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Rahul, good to see you & CONGRATS on your 7+ years AF!!!
        It’s wonderful that you are finding new ways to expand your mind without alcohol or addictive substances. Keep appreciating your dopamine hits & don’t worry too much about the ice cream

Pav, cooking, baking, whatever. Just do what makes you the happiest, right?
        It was nice having the family here Sunday for my birthday but today I found out my 10 year old grandson has tested + for Covid
        I didn’t know that his parents hadn’t gotten him vaccinated because they did make sure the 13 yr old got his. Now they will have to miss the big Christmas eve gathering & that’s sad. He’s running a slight temp & not feeling real great, I hope it doesn’t get any worse.

Wags, we made it to the solstice!!!!
        It will take a little time until we really see the extra light but it’s coming
        I think it’s OK if we all do a little dance with Pav t his year.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav

Thanks, getting reply here from you is also a dopamine "hit". Haha ...

It's so good to see all familiar faces here and doing well.
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

[MENTION=19781]Rahulthesweet[/MENTION] - so great to see you and huge CONGRATULATIONS on your 7 years!!! I've always enjoyed reading your thoughts and reflections. I'm going to check out your recommended sources on dopamine, as I struggle with that type of "chase" too. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have the happiest of new years!

Pav - OMG, when you start thinking about Patagonia trip (or just dreaming about it) hit me up - I spent 3+ weeks in that region during this exact time of year back in 2014-2015. One of my good friends and I backpacked through Torres del Paine (Chile) and Los Glaciares (Argentina). It was amazing and beautiful. I'd happily go again I loved it that much, and I would also happily help you explore options. 10/10 highly recommend!

Lav - SOLSTICE!!! We made it! Now to survive the winter, but at least we are moving toward the light.

As we wrap up 2021, I'm thinking back over things I am grateful for. It was a hard year in a lot of ways, and yet there are positives and learnings woven throughout. The Lavitude of Gratitude is especially relevant and reassuring as we get ready to begin a new year. Polish up your quit tools and keep them handy, even if only so you can loan them to a friend in need.

Hellos and waves to all.
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning, and happy Winter Solstice!

I’m filled up with lots of Mabel kisses & hugs, and Beckett too; and now back home. And daughter got home from college yesterday! The downside is struggling with the grandchildren’s cold germs, but so far I haven’t gone full-blown with those. And at least it’s not COVID, like Lav is being exposed to from hers!

Still torn into bits about this divorce, and last Christmas in my home etc. It feels like a lot of turmoil and awkwardness.

Thank you, Rahul, for sharing those links about dopamine. I want to listen to those for sure. I have by & large given up sugar now too, as well as dairy; but I still struggle with trying to find dopamine hits. I hit up white wheat flour now, overeat, and am tethered to my beloved caffeine. So, still a problem…the endless seeking. That’s why I need to listen to or read your links!
              Do what makes you happy, I guess -and cookie-baking does not make me happy, so I didn’t bake any this year!

Fascinating to learn of your interests and experiences traveling in South America.

Happy Christmas week to all as we head into it!
              Last edited by Slo; December 22, 2021, 08:35 AM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi Nest.

Rahul, so amazing to see you! Thank you for the links, can't wait to look them up. It's so helpful to find validation in science. I think we all need our ways to enjoy life - and unless you're pursuing pure enlightenment, worldly pleasures is what it's all about on earth - including chocolate!

Trips sound wonderful right now. Include me in the Patagonia trip please. I can leave a business and family for a couple weeks... (right!). I'm drawn to that part of the world!

Bummer about the COVID positive LAV. I think a lot of Christmas gatherings may be disrupted this year. Hope the little guy doesn't feel too bad.

Slo, we've all had a few cold bugs here too - some more full blown than others. Tis the season, but it's weird after almost two years without illness from wearing masks! I feel for what you're going through. I remember that feeling of really bad break ups - the world felt turned upside down. But it gets put back together in a better way. Hugs to you.

I am having LOTS of trouble getting my work done this week. But I have to force myself today because I have a meeting tomorrow (!) that I have to prepare for. UG. I'm getting new, big job inquiries and not calling them back... feeling a little burned out I guess. Maybe I just need a break. Oh well... we are on the other side of light now, so I'm hoping I feel renewed soon. We DID make tons of gingerbread cookies last night. My GF ones were SO bitter. The texture was great but the molasses aftertaste was really bad! I think I bought the "full flavor" molasses. Well, they are pretty at least!
                Last edited by KENSHO; December 22, 2021, 10:19 AM.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola friends,

Hope you get time to relax and recharge real soon friend Kensho. Surely you're gittin a couple of weeks break from work?

Congratulations Rahul on 7 years booze free! Wowza! Thanks for those links and always great reading your thoughts.

Pav, i'm far less a playing the field style operator as a still single fella these days. I'm in sud america for the music, food, travel, sights etc. but main focus is to find one good woman and settle down with her. So i'm meeting a few, er, i mean one! trip booked and locked in. This trip is a fairly unplanned spur of the moment window of opportunity to travel. I only have February free so far next year. Spending time mainly Colombia. I reckon trip will develop further as i come up with more places to see and perform music at.

Decisions decisions! haha. Not a bad problem to have.

Patagonia would be ace! Can i carry the bags?

I get a hit of dopamine every time i see Lav too.......

Big waves to evabody. Take care of you.
                  Last edited by Guitarista; December 22, 2021, 05:18 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Chilly & windy here, suddenly feel just like winter
                    Everything is going fine with the grandson so far, we face timed him a little while ago. I don’t know if he realizes how long his isolation is going to be but we will deal with it I guess. I hope the rest of the family stays healthy.

Wags, we did indeed make it to the solstice. Now we just need to pull out a little patience & wait for the light to get here

Rahul, don’t be a stranger, we like hearing from you!

Slo, I know this holidays season will be rough for you but please remember you are embarking on a kinder & gentler lifestyle.
                    Glad your daughter is home to keep you company. Kids get better fast, thank goodness.

Kenso, I read your description of the cookies & thought - she should have chickens, they eat anything, haha!!
                    I hope you get the work stuff squared away so you can enjoy a few days off over Christmas.

G, I hope your trip provides you with everything you want. You just never know, 2022 very well could be G’s year!!!!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, Nest Just wanted to pop in and say that although Christmas has been BLOWN UP by Covid :cuss: and I'm pretty sad and mad, I'm grateful not to be dulling the feelings with wine. I'd be 8 sheets to the wind by now and it is only 7 pm. I'm sorry it is in your family, too, Lav.

Good to see you, Rahul. I think my dopamine responses are pretty leveled out. The highs aren't as high but the lows aren't nearly as low so I'll take it.

Hang in there, everyone. I hope you have a healthy and peaceful long holiday weekend. xx

Comment

Today 7+ sober I still chase dopamine. I guess all humans do so he describes in a wonderful ways but we addicts are slightly different. We reallllly want it. Today I am still an addict but yes addictions have changed. I chase endurance sport, sex, food, chocolate, coffee, good company, new learning, travel and water.
                        I think you hit the nail on the head here, it's almost impossible to avoid "addictions" entirely, but shifting them to healthy (or at least less destructive) ones is the key; there are a lot of ways you can feel good without jeopordizing your health and mental health (this maybe took me too long to learn). And I don't think there's anything wrong with that, life would be pretty bland without the occasional "dopamine hit".

Comment

Lav and NS - sorry to hear about COVID hitting both of your families. It must be especially hard to understand for kids who typically bounce back pretty quickly and are ready to hit the ground running again. I hope everyone else stays well and uninfected in both of your families.

Slo - hugs to you during this difficult holiday. I hope that things start to feel better soon.

Happy hump day everyone!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Rahul, lovely of you to pop in, i have a bad sugar addiction so will have a look at the link. glad life is treating you so good and congrats on your 7+ years.

Lav, so sorry to here about your grandson having Covid, these are scary times when kids get it also. My eldest daughter still has not had the vax and i rang her and begged her today to get it, i dont need to be worrying about her and the omicron is spreading like wildfire here and its SUMMER.

Slo, one day at a time is all you can do and just get through xmas. you have your lovely girls and g-babies.

Today i took the boys for a walk around the block, knee is getting better slowly. trying to get carl not to pull which he is kind of not doing anymore. Went and gave blood so it helps during the xmas period. shopping all done and xmas eve tomorrow. trying to get the house in order for xmas day. it will be lovely to have the kids here. not spoken to my mother so she is not coming, i dont have the energy though i am sad that she has done this yet again. My SIL is in isolation so she wont be able to be with Jasper for his first xmas, i think they are going to postpone it till next week.

one of my doctors resigned yesterday so have to do some work before 2022 hits us. i told work i will keep a tally of the hours and have days off to make up for it. One day i will actually get a holiday but i dont mind as not going out into the madness till after xmas.

take care xxx
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

You are some of the strongest, most centered, bravest people I know, and I'm glad to know you.

I got good news from my dad that the doctor about his kidneys, which I'm grateful for. He will need to make some dietary and lifestyle changes, but nothing to the degree he originally thought. So I am relieved! We can enjoy Christmas without too much worry.

Other than that, business as usual here and looking forward to a break.

Keep up the good work everyone. You will never regret NOT drinking.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well we did a gift drop today, left everything on the porch & texted the grandson to get them quickly, haha! I’m still a bit upset about this whole thing, I never knew his parents had dropped the ball on getting him vaccinated. He seems pretty good though & I am grateful for that

NS, sorry to hear Covid has hit your family as well, bummer. I actually thought this year was going to be better but it sure didn’t turn out that way. Hang in there friend :hug:

Mulburry, how’s it going with you?

Wags, are you taking a whole week off or is that too much to expect? Haha!!

Ava, you sound like me working weekends & holidays all of my life. It was annoying but I guess it served a purpose.
                                I hope your daughter agrees to get the vaccine, it’s becoming vital.

Kensho, glad the news is good about your Dad. Chronic disease can be managed with dietary & lifestyle changes & medications. I’ll bet you’re relieved.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X