X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters,
    me again!:happy2:

Kensho, good to see you.. i was wondering how the Covid was going for you.. sorry to hear you're still not feeling up to par. i didn't test out till 9 days and had to take it easy for a few more after.. went back to work a bit too early and i know that's the case for many. i wonder if it's ok for you to just take it easy? do you have deadlines you're worried about or are you "just" tired of being sick? if possible, i would say lay back, watch movies, listen to birds.. you'll be through it soon enough, feeling stronger and able to make up for some lost time..:love: 4.5 years is amazing!!!!

not much new going on here.. how can there be when i just checked in a short few hours ago?:haha: i'm trying to emulate Ms Ava 9 or so years back! now i've forgotten what she called herself..?

ok.. time for me to get ready for work.. see you all this afternoon..xx

Comment

I will be heading out for a bike soon, which is what makes Summer mornings so wonderful! Such a tonic! Then I need to get up to daughter’s house to babysit for the next 5 days, so no more bike rides for awhile. This will be my last night in our home in my bed, and when I return from babysitting, it will be to my condo. I’m trying to ignore the fact that today is our wedding anniversary. And I sure will miss my bike trail here too.

When young daughter had Covid, she had a ton of snot production, like you described your bout, Kensho. I didn’t have that; mine was more like a flu. And I think I had the Omicron variant, so it wasn’t too severe.
      Young daughter just doesn’t stop growing! She grew another inch or more during her first year at college. Now she’s 5 ft. 10 1/2 inches. The other girls quit growing by 15 years old.

I’m a swinger all right, G! Haha.

I really gave being mostly sugar-free a long try, for many months. I guess I need a little in my toolbox, to help with depression. I’m the one who suffers with depression, Lav; not really ex-HB. Although he finally had a bout after some losses in his life, like his dad dying.

Here we are at the longest day of the year -in the northern hemisphere! Enjoy.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Thinking of you, Slo, during this big time of change. i hope you have a lovely time babysitting.. remind me of how old the grandchildren are..? there is a baby, right? the name is failing me. it will be strange at first, of course, in your new place.. but you will get used to it and grow to love it.. and with all the nice new neighbors, i'm sure you'll be feeling at home soon.. are there places to bike around there, too? what age is your daughter? my youngest is 17.5 and just stopped growing half a year ago.. also around 5ft 10.5.. how tall are you? i'm about 5'8" and it's still strange for me to look up at her! my eldest stopped at 5'9.5"..

i'm still having some down-ness.. but Molly in the Army reminded me that it's really normal at this point in my quit.. pink cloud lifting and all.. i am aware of it and trying to just keep my chin up.. heading to the gym now and then will hang out with my guy for awhile.. today is fete de la musique, where all over the city, bands and musicians set up at parks, restaurants and bars and in the middle of the streets and play for the summer solstice.. it's really nice, but means it will be a short night's sleep as there's a very loud band at the park across the street from me.. what are you gonna do?:happy2:

how are you doing, [MENTION=3200]Belle[/MENTION]?
        and [MENTION=11645]Hypernova[/MENTION]?
        check in and let us know how you are..

hugs all around..xx

Comment

Hi, Nest

Finally home from the long vacation so now I can relax!! Actually, it was just my husband, dog and me for the last 4 days so we did have some downtime. It was a little traumatic to come home to overgrown gardens - the weeds went crazy. Then, due to high heat, the grass is burned. It looks like mid-August around here, not June!

Glad you came back, Belle. I'd really encourage you to do what LC is -- checking in here daily at a minimum. Making yourself think about what is going on to write about it really does rewire your brain - and that is what is needed. Your thinking has to change. That happens to some people in an instant when they hit a horrible rock bottom. For some of them, that quit isn't hard at all. But look at the price they had to pay! Without an overwhelming trauma, most of us have to force the change in thinking to happen. And it can click at any time! It is so worth it to make the effort before you hit a rock bottom - you never know what that could look like.

LC, I felt low-energy with little interest in anything for a few months. I think I missed out on the pink cloud. But the grey cloud passes and then you just have the normal ups and downs of life.

Slo, don't you wish your girls had had grandparents like the one your grandchildren have ??? You are really there for them. Just think what a loss it would have been if your daughter didn't trust you with them because of drinking! I'm excited for you starting your new life. So much is possible!

I hope you quickly and completely recover, Kensho. So many people who avoided Covid all this time have it now. It is so ridiculous that our health during a pandemic has become a personal responsibility. Unless you cut yourself off from the world, that just can't work. Sadly, there seems to be little sense of collective responsibility. Anyway, all the best to you :hug:

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Our nice weather has come to an end. It’s clouding over & getting more humid ahead of a big 11/2 to 2” rain tomorrow.
            Dropped off my car today for some body work & picked up a rental. I wish I could drop myself off for some body work but that’s not happening, haha!

Kensho, sorry your recovery has been slow. It’s true we all recover at our own pace, just keep on taking care :hug:

LC, we all have those ups & downs, it’s completely normal. The trick is to keep using your new tools so you don’t find yourself automatically reaching for AL to feel better.
            Ava used to refer to herself as Lunatic Linda, LOL

Slo, I’m really excited for your new adventure. We’re all there with you in spirit.
            Have fun watching the kids, they will certainly keep you entertained. I have one tall kid & one short one, two grandkids in the tall category & a third is average for his age. Hope i’m around to see them as adults

NS, welcome back from your long vacation. I’m sure your garden missed you.
            I’ve noticed when i go up to the nearest town to go grocery shopping or to Walmart the younger adults (college age) all seem to be wearing masks still. Don’t know if they’re vaccinated oR not but they do seem to be trying to be responsible.

Hello to G & everyone.
            Wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters,
              quick fly by on my way to work.. will check in properly afterwards..
              good to see you back, NS!!!
              xx

Comment

Nice to read your words NS... miss your more frequent posts. I know you're here reading though and that is comforting.

This is where the stick-to-it comes in LC... just keep checking in here and definitely let us know how you're feeling - good or bad or whatever. You're doing great, and I can promise you that there is more to sobriety than you are feeling now - you'll see. I believe AVA called herself Lunatic Linda.

Slo, did you enjoy your bike ride? I love doing a short morning yoga, and deep breathing to start the day - though getting full breaths through my nose and without coughing was a little tough today. I believe you all that this will pass. It's not that bad taking it easy... but I do wish my boss would give me paid sick time (me). Unfortunately I get paid by the hour that I work, so no work = no pay. Health is more important, just like sobriety.

Not much else to report here. Hoping for a somewhat productive day at my desk. Best to everyone.
                Last edited by KENSHO; June 22, 2022, 10:15 AM.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

hi Nesters..

i've been fortunate to have an afternoon of rest.. cancelled a coffee date and the girls aren't here, so i had a long nap and have been watching Netflix..
                  NS, a few months of gray clouds sounds manageable.. at the moment i don't have any desire to drink.. the thought of it, in fact, makes me sick. i know that any time is the right time to stop with the madness of alcohol.. but i am glad that i decided to do it now and not waste another summer.. the sunshine and long days make it a bit easier to be grateful.

i have some regrets right now with regards to my youngest.. i wasn't doing too well after my eldest moved out last October and spent many evenings drinking, not remembering conversations, going to bed super early, essentially leaving her alone.. that lies heavy on my heart.. now she has a boyfriend and is rarely here alone so we don't really have any time together.. i definitely f***** that up. i tried so many times to quit and she new i was trying, but in the end each time i failed and let her down.. it will take time to build up her trust and i'm looking forward to the day i can trust myself and appologize to her. it's going to take awhile. i can see the disppointment in her eyes and hear it in her voice when i'm falling to sleep at night.. she's not really a talker (opposite of her sister who tends to be TMI!) and holds her feelings close, so i'm never really sure how she feels about me.. thank goodness we were so close for so many years. i think she'll be able to trust me again at some point. i am sad about lost time.

BUT.. it is less lost time than it would have been if i hadn't quit. and i am slowly beginning to feel better. just up and down.. have begun with some b vitamins and magnesium, as was recommended.. still not taking on anything that causes extra stress.. i'm trying not to feel "obligated" to do anything except work and am not making plans where i know alcohol will be involved or where i'll feel socially awkward.. next week a bunch of people from work are meeting for bowling and though i feel a bit of "fomo", it would be stupid for me to go.. so i declined.

ok.. off to bed in a few.. see you all tomorrow.xx
                  Last edited by lifechange; June 22, 2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sitting here in the middle of a huge rain storm that was promised for today. Everything will be well watered by the time this os over tomorrow.

LC, try not to worry about your daughter’s feelings at the moment. She will come around when she sees you happy & healthy & AF. Kids seem to be pretty good at that sort of thing. You’re in the process of teaching her to make better choices for herself in the future :hug:

Kensho, glad you’re getting better no matter how long it takes.
                    I worked for myself for 15 years so I understand the no work = no pay thing. You’ll catch up soon enough I’m sure. Health first, always

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

LC, you never know if this time you feel you've lost with your daughter could bring you closer - as she realizes what you've overcome and how happy and balanced you will be. Try not to focus on it now; you have plenty of time. Now is time to heal. :hug: Good to see you checking in!

LAV, I thought you were a nurse. Surly you didn't do that freelance? You must be talking about another path I'm forgetting?

Had a productive day, finally. Now I'm making chicken cacciatore - one of my family's fave's. Here in Colorado, it's a big hockey night too, so that's happening on the back deck! My husband puts so much energy into sports, and I reminded him this morning that he seems to put a lot of energy into things that he has absolutely no control over. I encouraged him to put his eggs into baskets that he can build from - not just witness. I get the fun of sports... but really - we can't WILL the puck into the net... or can we?

Have a good night Nest! Tuck your feathers in!
                      Last edited by KENSHO; June 22, 2022, 08:18 PM.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

LC, I definitely had a pink cloud and then gray cloud at about 3-4 months in. I was confused, depressed, sad that I let this "happen" to me, ashamed, etc. But one thing was sure - I was NOT going to drink again. I felt like you do - no way. At about a year in I felt more adjusted and settled into my life as it was without alcohol. I did a lot of work that year towards my sobriety - I checked in regularly here and with my therapist, read many Quit Lit books (I like that name and recommend Lit, Drinking: A Love Story, and others if you're interested!), listened to sober podcasts - specially the Bubble Hour - read blogs, and listened to my nest moms. I was determined not to relapse (as I continue to be), and I understand that it takes vigilance to avoid that. Not fear, not hyper focus on booze, just constant vigilance, a sober community, giving back. I know you all know all of this, but I guess I felt like typing it out... I am SO SO SO happy to be sober and present now. Your daughter will come to trust and appreciate the sober you. You got this!

I am prepping for my trip to Italy on Saturday. I haven't been to Europe since I was 22, and have only travelled outside of the country once since then. I love to travel and hope to do more in retirement (money allowing). I will be on a two-week hiatus from this site but there is NO way I will drink. I will check in before I go.

Tonight I am so thankful for this nest and this group. I know for sure that I would not be as content with my life - all of its ups and downs - without being sober. So thanks, team!

xo
                        Pav

Comment

Good early morning! I’m enjoying the calm before the storm; before my 1-yr.-old and 2-yr.-old grandchildren wake up!

I loved my bike ride! What a way to set up the day! I snuck one in yesterday morning too, before I headed up here to babysit. Now hopefully I generated enough endorphins and relieved enough stress for these next five days…daughter has landed in Mexico to visit her friend who lives there -a much-deserved break from the babies.
                          And D2 is showing signs that her body is preparing for the labor & birth of her first child, so I don’t think she’s going to make it to July 12th!

You’re doing everything “right” to set yourself up for success, LC. And don’t ruminate on regrets about your relationship with your daughter while you were drinking, as that could make you want to drink! You have a strong foundation of being close to your daughter, and that will return. And right now she’s at an age where they pull away anyways to be more involved with their peer group and with dating.

Lav had her own embroidery business after she retired from nursing. Glad to hear you’re on the upswing, Kensho! I totally know what you mean about the sports…

I’m just surprised that young daughter has still been growing at 18-19 years old! Females are usually done before that.

Bon voyage, Pav!
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Checking in before flying off to work. I haven't been good at doing so...as this has been the crazy week at work. I've been coming home to a nap and then making easy dinners so I am not stressed to the point of drinking. I need to come back and share more later.

LC we have so much in common...I quickly read about how you feel about not always being there for your daughter. I think we are kindred souls. lol
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

hi Nesters!
                              though i signed in this morning, but i just read!
                              this is going to be short as well.. it's only 8pm but i'm going to bed.. can hardly keep my eyes open.. hopefully that means i'll be up with the birds and will have more time to post..
                              big hugs!!
                              Have fun getting ready for your trip, Pav!! i'm really excited for you! long flight from CA for sure.. which route are you flying? where are you headed first?.:happy2:
                              xxx

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Our epic rain is over - 2.5 inches of rain over the past 24 hrs!! Really wish I could ship some of it out to the west coast where they are so dry.

Kensho, I guess I’m grateful my husband & kids never got the sports bug. My son goes to a baseball game once in a while but that’s about it, haha. I’ve just never been interested in watching it myself, seems like play. Yep, after 29 years in nursing I transitioned to embroidery, open up a home based shop & kept myself busy. I did work for several police & fire depts, schools, etc. but I grew tired of the business end of it, especially non-paying customers, filing quarterly taxes & all that. Now I’m happy with the crafty end of things. People are still after me with medical questions but that’s a free service Lol

Pav, I’m excited for you & your upcoming trip. I’m sure you will have a blast

Slo, sending you lots of energy for your week of babysitting!! It’s not easy, this I know.
                                How exciting to soon be having your 3rd grandchild!!

Belle, good to see you!

LC, sleep when you’re tired, it’s important for your healing. Glad you are staying close to the nest!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X