Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Woke up to a chilly 20 degrees. This morning, wow. The good news is a warm up is on the way, yay!

Hello to Wag, Ne & NS. Glad to see some folks checking in today.
    I decided I am too old to starve or exercise myself to death SO I opted for a slow but steady effort of cutting some unnecessary calories (carbs) & doing my best to get 60 minutes of activity in daily. I admit I haven’t been getting the full 60 minutes lately but I blame that on the feet swelling/pain caused by the antihypertensive I was put on a little over a year ago. I’m going to see my NP tomorrow & tell her I want off that nasty stuff. I’ll work out some sort if deal with her, haha. You can’t walk far when every step is painful, ugh.
    Staying healthy & sober so I can continue to enjoy my family & grandkids is my main priority.
    NS, thinking of you :hug:

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

NS, NE, Lav - good to see you all!

I might be out of the nest for a few days. I have to have dental surgery tomorrow - step one in getting an implant to replace two front teeth that were damaged by airbag impact in a bad car accident many years ago. I've put it off as long as possible, and finally decided to take care of it. I know I'll be glad a year from now but I'm less than thrilled about tomorrow and the next few days

I'll be back later this week. Take care everyone!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Ne, i seem to have moments of being addicted to sweet stuff, i have gained a kg a year since i stopped drinking but is far better than drinking.

Wags, good luck with your dental surgery, i so dont regret getting my teeth done and i have 3 implants. should have got a mouth full but they were uncomfortable to get inserted.

NS, i cant believe Pav and I are coming up to 9 years sober. With all the crap that seems to get dumped on us at times, there is nothing that will entice me to drink today or tomorrow or any day if i can help it. Xmas coming up makes me think back to how deprived i felt spending my first xmas sober and now its water off a ducks back so the saying goes.

Cant wait for the new PA to start but she is here a week then having a week off, was planned before she took this job so thats fine. I am looking forward to 8 hour days instead of 10 or 11. going into work tomorrow, we finally can have catering at meetings so everyone is making an effort to be sociable which is so hard when we are all used to zoom meetings in our pj's.

everything great otherwise, my daughter came for dinner and a sleep over last night and it was lovely to have her and say goodbye. I am loving this ME time.

take care xx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We did end up having somewhat warmer tmps today which was nice. Makes all that pre-holiday running around a bit more pleasant.

Wags, I hope your dental surgery went well. I’m sure when it’s all said & done you’ll love the results. Take care :hug:

Ava, you have done so well in 9 years, you & Pav are both winners in my book
          After all the pandemic stuff it has to be nice to have face to face meetings again. Enjoy the catering too, sounds good. Good that you got to spend some time with your daughter, we need that from time to time.

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Welcome back, Ne! I read in another thread that you like kombucha. I make my own and have a lot of extra scobies ( I can’t bear to
            “kill” them!). Let me know if you want me to send you one with some instructions. At the beginning, kombucha was my wine substitute and I drank it every late afternoon - it helped!

I hope your surgery went well, Wags, and that you’re able to enjoy the softer offerings (stuffing, pumpkin pie) of a Thanksgiving dinner.

Ava, you deserve a break with your job. I hope the new PA works out.

Lav, our weather was gorgeous today so hopefully it will be with you tomorrow.

A month from today for the first time I won’t be in school or working for the first time in my adult life. I’ve mostly wrapped my head around it (and turned down the chance to continue working in a different capacity) but it still fells weird. I like structure and to feel needed so I’m going to have to figure some things out.

I’m thankful for all of you. Enjoy the holiday!

Comment

Hola, Nesters!

Quick sober check in from Mexico.
              Am having a great time.
              Survived a tour of the mezcal factory.
              The area where it was made stunk like putrid fermented fruit & actually made me gag.
              Then we moved on to the tasting area & that was just as bad. The finished product smelt like paint stripper or Draino! Happy to indulge in Mexican chocolate & coffee ��

Sorry I can't read back right now. Hope everyone's well.

Love,
              Steady
              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Greetings Nesters on this busy Thanksgiving eve

We are going to our daughter’s house for dinner tomorrow but I’ve been assigned to make appetizers & stuffing. Almost done with all that. We are having milder weather which is nice for the folks driving long distances, we only have about an hour trip there & back tomorrow.

NS, you are entering into the retirement phase in life?? Good for you! I have been so busy since I retired it’s not even funny. I’m sure you will find some meaningful things to do & stay active. Yuo might wantto enter. The craft show circuit like me & you’ll be busy & fulfilled. Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.

Steady, nice to see you stopping in while on your vacation. I don’t think I would appreciate those awful smells either, ugh. Hope you are enjoying nice weather, good food & chocolate.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest & Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow if celebrating.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi Nesters,
                  Thought I would check in and cement my non-drinking intentions for the day. If there is ever a day to "drive me to drink" it is Thanksgiving. But I guess I cannot be driven to drink because I am the driver in charge!!
                  This will be the first time mother in law is here since the Mother's Day gaslighting event. No matter what I do or say, husband makes me out to be the bad guy.

Kids are home and son made pumpkin soup last night. I went to bed way early and woke up to the house already smelling like thanksgiving. I need to get going on the cranberry sauce soon, so it can be properly chilled before dinner.

I've been way busy lately. Worked alot last week, and then on Saturday went to PA to see son's designs in another fashion show. This was even better than the NY show as he had complete control over the models and how the designs were worn. We took him out to dinner afterwards where he had raw oysters for the first time. It was a real shocker, remembering the picky eater he was as a kid and even as a teen. We spent the night, got home Sunday. Monday I went to babysit my niece so that my brother could take his wife overnight for her 40th birthday (such a young one). The first night they were there, but Tuesday night when they went away I had to sleep with my ears open (however that child is LOUD) and she decided the day started at 6am. I shouldn't complain much because I did have nanny help during the day. But I find getting up an down off the floor with her so many times wreaks havoc on my old bod and it takes days to recover. But she is a cutie, and her language is growing in leaps and bounds.

I just need to find a way to keep my sanity today and not let Mr Nasty Husband get to me. He always turns into an @$$hole especially when his mommy is around as she is supposed to be treated like a queen at anybody else's expense. and his wrath.

Again, I need to recommit to not falling into the alcohol trap today. There will be wine around for husband and son, and for some of the cooking. The presence cannot be avoided but doesn't mean I have to drink no matter how bad things get.
                  BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good on you for posting your intentions, Belle. Plan on going to bed happy with and proud of yourself no matter what The Irritant says or does. :hug:

Comment

Hola evabody,

All's well here. What am i gonna complain about, seriously? Got a guitar i can strum, a band to play it with, some good friends, good health, and an optimistic outlook backed by daily action towards a goal. Rain, hail, shine, it don't matter none diggity.

Safe travels Steady. Lol at paint stripper. Similar effect if u drink that stuff.

Hi Ne and big waves to all. I too am grateful for this joint.

Surf's up.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had a nice low key, alcohol free Thanksgiving with our daughter & family
                        Small group, no fights & no a##holes present, haha! I know holidays can be rough with certain family members, I totally get that.

Belle, I hope your day was peaceful as can be & AF. My MIL was the same as yours & I’m grateful she is long gone.
                        I hear you about getting on & off the floor with the little ones, not easy at all haha. Congrats to your son on another successful fashion show, sounds wonderful. Hang in there & protect your peace :hug:

NS, Happy Thanksgiving ton you!

G, nice to see you & glad everything is as it should be for you

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good post-Thanksgiving morning, nesters.

I did follow through with my intentions and went to bed proud of myself. MIL was not too bad. The only minor complaint I got from husband is that after the football game was over, and the channel went to Dr Phil, and I let MIL watch, when apparently she would rather watch another football game. lol. Who knew? I was knitting and not paying attention anyway.

Son's pumpkin soup and oyster/mushroom stuffing was awesome. I'm usually not a stuffing person, but could not resist this one.

Thought I might go to the office today, but the kids are home and they are awesome people to have around.

Now on to Christmas. Next week I'll have a visit from my other brother here for a few days as he has some business to attend to in DC.

I will extend my intentions for another day. It is hard this time of year, so time to go back to the one day at a time mentality.
                          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Rain to sun then back to clouds here today, oh well. I’m getting lots of craft work done which is a good thing because next Saturday will be here in a flash!!

Belle, glad you met your goals yesterday, I knew you would.
                            Not letting anyone interfere with my mind peace is my #1 tool. They can all go to hell as far as I’m concerned haha. I’ve spent my life looking out for everyone’s needs & feelings while ignoring mine, not going there again, not ever . I am a proud & happy camper at the end of each day knowing I was successful in protecting my peace. You do the same!!!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning nesters

Happy belated thanksgiving to you all. No massacre for Pav anymore.

Belle great work on getting through thanksgiving, i love firsts in sobriety. Xmas is coming up fast. This is the day that the 4 children get together and are very loud and drink. its so lovely to see them together but i do have to walk away and nap. i have no urge to drink but that overwhelming feeling comes and i need some ME time. Learn to walk away from any situations that dont make you happy. I found people just look at you a bit strangely and thats okay by me.

NS i am so jealous of you retiring, i am sure you will fill your time with grandchildren and decluttering and relaxing and enjoying life. Look at Byrd, she said she didnt know what she was going to do with herself and i bet she cant imagine working now.

Steady, i have been keeping track of you on fb and some gorgeous pics. The Mezcal factory sounds horrendous, not sure i would have been able to stomach that one.

Wags, how are your teeth going? Hope you are feeling a bit mor human now.

Lav, i love our morning teas now and i have discovered two massage chairs near one of our lecture theatres that i am sitting in for 10 minutes. i want one! have the room now. hows your kitten going?

Had to take carl to the vets the other day. he has two luxating back patellas that are getting worse. i have to see a surgeon in December. He needs to be fixed so we can walk, he loves walking but is in pain afterwards, so now he is on lots of herbal meds and dymadon and zyrtec daily and a special diet to get some weight off him. My vet wants me to buy carl a life jacket and take him to the beach so he can move his legs weightless. i hate the beach, sand, seaweed, not to mention the car needing cleaning every time, so in Linda's wisdom she bought a portable spa that i can sit in the garage, it heats up and has bubbles. They cant do anything with regards to Gucci's adrenal cancer though she is going on blood pressure meds and blind Bindi is living her best life ha ha.

Hi G and Slo

Big day tomorrow with the PA starting, today i have rosters to do and agenda's for meetings so i think it is coffee time and work.

Carl and Bob after their groom.

carl and bob after groom nov 22.jpg
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I spent the day baking: dairy free pumpkin pie (so I can have a slice), apple pie & birthday cupcakes all for tomorrow’s dual birthday party for son & grandson. All I have to do tomorrow is cook dinner, haha!! Well at least I’m staying out of trouble,

Ava, that’s 2 handsome young men you have there It takes a lot of tine & energy caring for animals just as it does with people. You’re doing a wonderful thing.
                                That massage chair sounds interesting, hmm.should I put that on my Christmas wish list? Haha! The kitten is turning 7 weeks old tomorrow & she’s doing great except she has both of my hands pretty well sliced up with those little needle teeth, ugh. So far so good today

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X