Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

UGH. Just lost a post. And the 're-store saved content' option wasn't even available

Wags, I'm glad another good option has appeared. I hope it is reasonably close to you.

Lav, you got me thinking that I might want a greenhouse. I'm ridiculously excited about my lettuce and other greens sprouts that are peeking through in my raised beds!

Your trip sounds amazing, Kensho. Is your whole family going?

I have family visiting this weekend. Whenever that comes up I'm so grateful I won't be sneaking around trying to drink or abstaining and resenting the heck out of all of them.

Comment

Hi Nest!

Wags, that first option sounds promising! I love that there is a man that seems like your dad... what a great vibe. And not bad-smelling. Definite turn off

NS, yes, my husband and two teenagers. We have shown them a lot of the nation, but they are about to be expanded to see an even bigger world. If we can keep them off their phones. We've made rules that there is NO phone-using unless late at night at the aidBNB catching up with friends. What a waste if they were looking down the entire time we were seeing amazing things!

LAV, your husband's greenhouse sounds amazing - I think I could enjoy year round veggie growing! What a great thing for him to spend time doing!

Have to run to the guy with my daughter... girl time.

Stay strong everyone and have a great day!
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey Nesters,

Gearing up for several days of rain ahead, oh well. We are (somehow) a little too dry around here the experts saying so this should bring us up to average rainfall amounts. Guess it will be indoor projects this weekend & I always have plenty of them going on.

Wags, I’m so glad you found a good place. Now you understand why I told you to do the sniff test & look for happy residents. I hope everything works out for you guys & your Dad is happy.

NS, you do do what my husband did & order the greeenhouse online haha. He of course had to have a foundation ready & he had to put it all together but he enjoyed the process. We use propane for home heating so he had someone tap into that line to provide heat for the greenhouse. It’s a happy place for sure Good luck with the company this weekend.

Kensho, men really need to find something to do when they retire so their wives don’t kill them, haha! He doesn’t play golf or hunt anymore but he does like to fish. How often can you go fishing?? So the greenhouse was a good choice I think. Your kids will be busy enjoying a new country I think

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Exhausted but getting stuff done! Will check in again tomorrow.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Here's a wave from me while Grandson watches a cartoon. Thank goodness his parents have relaxed a bit about letting him look at screens!! (I agree, though, Kensho, I would limit screen time for your teenagers in Italy, too. Are their phones going to work overseas with unlimited data? Our son-in-law travels internationally and can't use his phone when away as much as he does at home with his $10/day 'travel pass').

Comment

Hi Everyone.

Wags, hopefully you were "good" exhausted!

I think *I* would like a greehouse vs. my husband... though I think he would enjoy it a lot too. He's really starting to evaluate who he is and what he wants, and it is awesome to see the self-inquiry and growth. I had to do that when I quit drinking, of course, so maybe I rubbed off on him.

We chose a phone carrier that allows plenty of data in Europe mostly for our phones and navigation since we will be driving a bunch. Turns out, the kids do have limited data, but enough to be a problem if they let it be. We will monitor them. To me, it would be a shame to not look out the window on a drive or train ride when in a foreign place. Hopefully they will have enough stimulation!

My nearly 14 year old daughter said to me yesterday, out of the blue, that she wants to do a 30 day challenge to do a stair climber machine for 10 minutes/ 30 days (until we leave for Italy). We have been trying and trying to motivate her, since we will be walking and climbing a lot over there. Finally she is interested! So I took her to the gym yesterday and we did the eliptical machine for 10 min, the stair climber for 10, the rower for 5, and then she wanted to understand all about the weight machines. We tried many! I'm so pleased that she is showing some interest in her health and in having an easier time on our trip She wants to go back today, so I'm thrilled! I'm swamped with work, but this is more important

Back to work for now... electrical plans out my ears...
              Last edited by KENSHO; April 28, 2023, 10:32 AM.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Day 1 here of a 3 day rain thing, ugh. We may be getting as much as 3” over the next few days which is good. We had no snow here this winter, very unusual so things are a bit dry out there. Indoor projects for me this weekend

Wags, I hope things are moving in the. Right direction for you & your Dad. It’s mental as much as physical exhaustion going thru all that.

NS, my daughter & her family used an eSIM card on their recent European trip - I know absolutely nothing about that to be honest haha. Last time I went to Holland with in SIL I just left my phone home & used hers so I didn’t have to buy a SIM card of my own, Lol. Have fun with the grandsons

Kensho, you probably wouldn’t want to go thru the building process my husband did for the greenhouse. I’m sure you can buy something put together & have it delivered. It was a good project that kept him busy for the first several months after retiring. Good news that your daughter enjoys the gym as much as you do. It’s best to start them young.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Kensho - that's so great your daughter is interested in going to the gym and getting prepared for your family trip to Italy. I agree - way more important than work! Maybe to keep your kids looking out the windows on trains/drives you can create a version of "I Spy" or similar, like those old school family road trip games some of us grew up with.

Lav - things are moving in a great direction for my Dad, finally! I have been busting my booty but I've found him a good place for long-term (probably rest of his life) care, and I can move him in next Tue/Wed latest. It's the Memory Care place I visited Wed that I had such positive feelings about. There were about 1000 ducks I had to get in a row for this to work so quickly, and I've become the Duck Master I am exhausted but at least there's a light at the end of this part of the tunnel.

On that note, I'm gonna turn in for the night. Hellos and waves everyone!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nesters!

A great sunny day in this part of the world today. From others' posts it sounds like the changeable weather is all round the world, not just here! Hope it's not too hot nor too cold, wherever you are.

Wags, great news that you've found a good place for your Dad, a relief no doubt. Wishing you well for the move, Duck Master!

Ava, that's exciting news that your niece is pregnant, I understand the anxiety though and hope it's a smooth pregnancy.

NS, hope you're enjoying the family weekend. Sobriety ensures we get the most out of it.

Lavande, your greenhouse sounds like a cosy place to hang out, I want one!

Kensho, your Italian trip sounds great! I'd love to go to the Amalfi Coast.

I woke up about 4.00am this morning, and felt a little thrill of excitement, like I did when I was a kid waking up on my birthday or Christmas Day. The reason? - it's been a Steadfast Ten Years today, woohoo!

I'll never be able to thank enough all the lovely people here who I've interacted with over the years. Sometimes just a few words can make a big difference, this has been my experience on this site, many times :heartbeat:

Stay warm / cool / calm / upbeat and, most of all, sober!
                    Steady
                    :love:
                    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

First of all CONGRATS ON YOUR 10 YEARS AF STEADY!!!!!
                      That’s a major accomplishment anyway you look at it. We’re all happy for you & very proud of you. Keep moving forward friend, it’s the best way to live :heartbeat:

Wags, you must be the Duck Master putting all that together so quickly, good for you & for your Dad. It will be such a relief getting him settled in a safe & comfy space. Good job on your part!! Now it’s OK to take a breath or two

We got a surprise break in the rain today so we zipped out to a few stores, got the onions planted (very important haha)
                      I have to catch & release my outside cat, she’s killed 5 bluebirds so far, one just today. I know she’ll be happy living as a barn cat somewhere not too close. The problem is actually catching her, she’s quick as lightening. Nature can be tough at times I guess.

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Congratulations, Steady!! You'll never be in single digits again!!

And to you, too, Wags. All your effort seems to by paying off for your dad - and you!!

Everyone has left and I am enjoying the SILENCE!!!

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We’re closing in on 4” of rain since Friday, I guess there will be no drought this summer.

NS, we just met our daughter & her family for dinner. We each drove about 30 min & met at the halfway point. My granddaughter just turned 12 & is nearly as tall as I am. She’s already taller than her mother haha. It’s good to see people once in a while but not have them in your face all weekend haha. Enjoy your peace`

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe & dry night in the nest.

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Steady - Congrats on 10 YEARS woohoo!!! That's so awesome. You've worked hard to protect your quit and double digits look good on you!

Lav - hope you had a fun dinner with your daughter and her family. I'm sorry to hear about your cat though. Even though it's nature for cats to kill birds, it's still hard to see or find.

NS - enjoy that quiet!

Things are good here. We went to visit my dad and filled him in on the plan for the next few days. Delivery of medical bed and lift chair (those recliners that help you stand up / sit down), plus some smaller items we're taking from his place here in our home. Then Tuesday I'll go get him and move him into his new home. He seems happy about the move and I think he'll really like this new place after he has time to adjust and meet some people.

Once he's settled, I'm going to take a break and hopefully my wife and I can do a few days trip to the coast or the mountains or *anywhere* just to relax. Can't wait!

Hellos and waves everyone!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

You deserve a break, Wags! Hope the transition is smooth. Lav, I really like kid 'doses' of a few hours and I especially like one at a time!! I'm grateful to have a good relationship with all of them but a few straight days of multiple-kid-energy really is something! Especially when you're still cooking and other stuff of life.

It is a rainy and cold May 1 here - pretty disappointing b/c I'd love to get out in the garden. Hopefully things will improve this week.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Yes sunshine today after 3 days of rain, yay! Happy May 1
                                It was just windy enough to dry surface if the ground so the mud isn’t too bad after 4+ inches. Hopefully all the pollens drowned this weekend haha!

Wags, I’m happy for you. You have done all the legwork & now have a good plan for your Dad, good job
                                I hope you get your few days away for a well deserved break.

NS, I remember the overwhelm of having 3 grandkids here at once, not easy. Now that 2 of them are 12 & the other is 14 it’s completely different when they’re here & they can make their own breakfasts Lol.
                                I’m ready for a stretch of fair weather too so I can work outside. It will get here eventually I guess.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X