Going to try to begin tonight. Pray.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you to all of you for your well wishes. I am overwhelmed by your understanding and kindness in taking the time to post. It really, really does help.

Yes, I am happy and not drinking again tonight. A huge accomplishment! My hubby is sitting here having a drambouie of all things. Unusual for him, but I'm not even tempted as there is no wine in the house for me.

Sausage, it is encouraging to hear from someone else just like me. Only far ahead of me since you've been able to go A/F for so many days. I hope someday to be able to post to someone else as you have to me. You have given me so many positives to focus on. They all apply to me. Here's another one -- even though my two kids aren't in this city, I think it will be good for them to not see Mom drink a bunch of wine on every single social /holiday occasion they do see me.

Janice, I will do ODAT and as you said, not worry about the vacations yet. Maybe in a week and a half I won't even be tempted. Right now, I'm looking forward to being able to sleep. Also, I do hope my skin improves and that I do lose a few pounds before I need to get into my swim suit!

All my best to all of you. I will go to bed early tonight so as not to feel too deprived by the fact that it is Saturday night and I don't have my wine.

Love,
    Time2live

Comment

Hi time,
      Each of us who have successfully quit began with that same life-changing day 1 AF.........that first day is a huge accomplishment........do not say "meagre", please.........it IS huge........be rightly proud.

I can clearly recall my 1st AF day.........I thought I was going crazy........was all but hysterical for want of a drink, so, in answer to your question..........YES.........it does get easier with each and every sober day.

Love and strength to you,

Star x
      Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Well done on making it through your first day!

in terms of your hubby, I imagine it would be hard to discuss. But then again, if you aren't having major problems, no sickness or blackouts and under control in social situations, I don't see why he shouldn't support you in trying to cut back.

Good luck! We are all here for you!

Comment

I made it through my second night! No problems other than I seem to be quite sad as my evening witching hour draws near. I just miss the stuff. I do hope it gets easier. My resolve is strong right now but I imagine the trick is to keep strong forever which seems really hard to do as life presents its many distractions. Anyway, I'm focused on today.

Nancy, thank you for your input. I do know my husband would be supportive and kind. It's just that I somehow don't really want him to know that I have this problem. When I try to figure out why, I guess it really is that I don't want him harrassing me if I ever do decide to have my daily wine again. I know it is at odds with what I'm trying to do (stop drinking) to already be thinking about the consequences if I do drink again, but I just don't think I can make myself talk to him about it. Maybe if I get through a lot more time I will be able to talk to him but not now. He is really such an innocent. He DEFINITELY has no problems in this area and can have his couple beers a week or none at all. He certainly knows I drink my wine but just doesn't have a clue that it's a problem and I don't want him to worry either. He knows my doctor told me several years ago to have a glass of wine each night (he really did!). My husband actually would go to Costco to get my wine if I put it on the list. Not only that but he would come home with a dozen bottles of different varieties because he gets carried away with quantities at that store no matter what he's buying! I just don't want to have to worry him, especially now if I stop. I guess I'm making excuses as it really would be a huge reason not to drink if he did know I had a problem and it would be a lot more difficult for me. You are so right, but I can't do it yet.

Well I'm doing fine, didn't sleep well last night though. I tossed and turned all night long. I truly hope this gets better as I get further along in this journey. Also, I feel very self centered with my posts right now but hope to reach out more to others as I get past my own hurdles.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you for your terrific support. I never expected this much.

Comment

Ok well good luck with it and congratulations on your progress so far.

One other suggestion, seeing as you seem to take to control, I wonder if it would be helpful for you to look into government health recommendations for safe drinking levels for women. That would give you a strong framework for what is acceptable. I am pretty sure that it's established that you should not drink every day for example. You can also use a diary to record the number of drinks you have. This site offers a drink tracker but it's publicly accessible so whether this is acceptable to you is a personal decision.

Comment

Hi Time2Live, I know your story only too well - it's me! Or hopefully, was me! It creeps up on you doens't it, till you are drinking nearly a bottle of wine a night or more. I too had the same sleep problems as you but on reading a few more threads in this site found one when everyone had that same sleep problem of waking in the early hours and often lying there feeling really guilty that yet again you drank more than you wanted to. I actually just believed that I was a really light and bad sleeper, since I've done 11 days AF and been moderating since then, I have only had 1 bad night sleep and that was the night I had a bottle of wine as we went to a BBQ.

My husband also doesnt think I have a problem with alcohol, just enjoy the reward at the end of the day - however, if you tot up the amount of units that you think you drink in a week, I guess you will realise you are well over what is currently recommended as safe for you.

You may find that you can moderate and get back in to more social drinking. I think time AF at first even a few days gives you, the rountine and your body a break and lets you know that you can actually do it. Like you - I was drinking every single day withouth fail (except for 1 day when I had flu and when I was pregnant).

I did 10/11 days AF without any help (except for this site) then my MYO Starter Pack arrived, so now I've been taking the L-Glut, Kadzu & vitamins since then and I think they must be helping as I am fine with one or two glasses of wine a night and some AF nights, which means I can achieve my aim of being within the 14 units of alcohol a week.

Maybe you need to decide what you are trying to achieve, do you need to be fully AF or just get yourself back to safe drinking levels and stop letting the wine dominate your life.

I wish you the best of luck.
              AC x x

Comment

Hey -T2L, just posted my thread above, before reading all the threads - so congratulations on 2 days AF. My guess is you'll start sleeping better any day soon too. I drink an awful lot of slimine tonic with lime these days - it's lovely and refreshing. Or the non alcohol wine may be worth a try as it looks good in a wine glass! Have you ordered any of the vitamins/supplements yet - you may find they help you a)detox, b) feel calmer & sleep better c) reduce cravings.

Made me smile the way you talk about your husband - mine is the same too!! And yes, I didn't want to involve him at first as I didn't want any added pressure. So I did just say to him that I was having post Festive season cut down so he'd stop offering or pouring me drinks, until a few days later when I kind of drip fed him a bit more information. He still doesn't think I am an alcoholic (and nor do I but I could end up one if I don't watch myself) but never the less he is pleased. He's very non-judgemental and also can give and take booze, he may have one beer after work and that is it, whereas once I tended to start drinking I'd kind of keep going all evening - not till I pass out but until it's bed time.

You are doing really well, you sound strong and sensible. You have a good & stable homelife by the sounds of it and some really nice things to look forward to. All of these you can enjoy more with less or no alcohol.

I wish you so much luck.
                AC x x

Comment

Working...
                X