MWO PROGRAM thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MWO PROGRAM thread

1MC, Monday my plan is the gym, dinner, walk my dogs, and then log on here for a while. I'm also going to pull out a good book and plan on catching up on my reading.

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

Yes, Cat, I am a speech therapist. I work in the schools. I have some familiarity with oral de-sensitization, but I don't usually have to practice it in my setting. Thanks for the concern about coping with work relationships. I made a definite effort on Friday to curtail stressful conversations and it made a big difference.

Cat, you have 60 days! Can you tell us if it has gotten any easier, or has it really been fairly easy for you all along? Have any tips for us? (Not wardrobe tips!)

1mc, I'm headed over to General to check out your thread. It sounds like a good plan. I am like you. I don't even like to look at myself in the mirror when drinking.

Cuckoo, keep the songs coming!
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

Dill, it was not easy at all to begin with. But after 2-3 wks it was a habit to not drink. Now I look forward to eating dinner, taking a shower and being in the bed @ 8 to watch tv or whatever. Sometimes I'm on the computer, sometimes I do my nails, just whatever...it's like a little ritual now and I don't even think about, OH, ITS SIX OCLOCK, TIME TO DRINK! I still think about drinking, probably everyday, but its more of a passing thought, not something I consider. I even still have wine in the cabinet that I cook with occasionally, but i don't entertain the option of drinking it. Its NOT an option.

TIPS: not really. It was just time for me and that is that. I think you have to be at the point of being SO sick of it, and I was. For months before I finally stopped, I lurked on MWO. Some mornings I would just break down crying b/c I was sooo sick of drinking. It would be that whole morning resolve thing, only to later break down and decide that I was going to drink. So that's just my 2 cents. You just have to really want it - it does not make it any easier. It's hard the first few weeks, really hard, and very emotional. I had to be quick at diverting my attention. I probably looked like a lost child wandering around my house at times. But anyway I'll stop rambling - we are under a tornado watch until 7, hope it stays just a watch!

Bye yall

Cat
        Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
        -Alan Cohen

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

Cat, Thanks so much for your response. It is really helpful to me. I know what you mean about really being sick of drinking. Maybe you lurked longer than I and that's why you were a few steps closer to being able to DO it. Since we started this thread I have had lots and lots of AF days, but still tend to give in at times. Over all, I am much improved, but still haven't been able to take the big leap. That's why it helps me to hear your experience. You are real to me and I admire you. It also helps to hear that it eases up after 2-3 weeks.

Did you do any supplements, meds, or CD's? Did you have a hard time sleeping at first, and if so, has that improved?

Hope the tornado watch expires and you are safe and sound.
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

Dill, I did the supplements. I tried the Topamax, but when I would take it I turned into uber bitch, so that didn't last long. I have the CD's and tried to listen to them, but I never could get down that staircase, so I didn't use those either. I DID have a hard time sleeping, but that improved after a couple of weeks also and now I sleep great. My sweet tooth was freakish for a while, especially for somebody who never cared for sweets. But then I was probably getting the sugar from the alcohol. Basically, for me, everything improved after a few weeks.

I stiil take the ALLONE and the supps + a few more that I added to the standard list.

Have you shared with your husband that you are trying to quit? You can do this. It's uncomfortable. It sucks. And it is scary as hell the thought of not drinking again. I wish I could drink like other people do. I can't, and it sucks, and it is embarassing. But the flip side is to drink until I die. If I haven't already done irreparable damage, then it was coming. I still at times have this very romantic idea about drinking - but it was NOT romantic. More like a trainwreck - HA! I definitely notice I am not so tense, its a different kind of stress with that monkey off my back.

Hope this helps --
            Cat
            Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
            -Alan Cohen

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

Cat, The more I cut back, the more candy and cookies I crave! I don't have a sweet tooth either, but, like you, I was getting most of my sugar from alc.

My husband knows I'm trying to quit. We talked about it. He really wants me to. He is a non-drinker. I get emotional when talking about the subject, and I don't really like to pull him in to the struggle too much because my emotions get confused and sometimes I resent him because he doesn't have or understand the depth the struggle.

Thanks for your help. Keep checking in here. I love hearing from you!
              Dill

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

This song goes along with 1MC's recommendation about writing down 5 things you like about yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADr-rIIC78[/video]]YouTube - George Benson - The Greatest Love of All

Comment

MWO PROGRAM thread

Cuckoo, Thanks! I will play this again first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe everyday in March!

Thanks for your inspiration. We are all together in this.

Hey, I liked your reason for choosing your screen name. Check out mine, if you haven't already!
                  Dill

Comment

Working...
                  X