Homeless and sober?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeless and sober?

I've been sober for 3 weeks- would be six, but I had a domestic row halfway through, went playing music and drank two pints of guinness... I'm just glad it wasn't spirits. Rows have been getting worse, and I'm now in a situation where I will be jobless, penniless, and relying on the good will of friends for a bed until I can find somewhere safe. My partner and I have realised that we want completeley different lives; drinking wine every night was masking it. As I said, I've been trying very hard to keep off the drink: I've even been going to Irish AA and listening to a load of stuff about "God having to rescue me" because, as an atheist, I obviously can't just DECIDE not to have a drink...

I'm expecting to be very lonely, very frightened, and extremely bored over the next few weeks. I WILL NOT have a stupid drink though. There is very little support in ireland, and less sympathy. I cannot afford private treatment, and can't wait six months for a place in Nurse Ratchet's mental ward (The other option; usually used if they find you hanging while pissed.) I'm hoping that I can stay resilient and make my way through a broken heart, in a strange town where I know nobody, without throwing everything away.

Homeless and sober?

Hi concertinaplayer,

Welcome to MWO, glad you found us!
    Actually, there are quite a few people from Ireland who post here - hopefully they will jump in with some helpful info for you.

You do have a lot of major issues going on in your life right now. Drinking will not help you resolve any of them but it sounds as if you already know that! Congrats on your AF time, you are doing a great job!
    Thankfully you have friends to rely on while you sort things out! Do you have a plan as far as finding a job & place to live? Do you have any family that can assist?

You are not alone now - this is a big community of caring people. Please visit often, read & write as many posts as you can. Drop in the 'Newbies Nest' thread & say hello!

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Concertinaplayer - stay strong and keep the faith - faith in yourself that you can do this. Best advice I can give, early in my AF efforts and all too aware I am one drink away from Day 1 - stay busy and stay positive about your life. Things will work themselves out so stay on track and we are here for you!

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Welcome ConcerinaPlayer.
        Like Lav mentioned there is a quite a few people here from Ireland and I hope they pop in as soon as they run the sleep from thier eyes:-)
        Well done for reaching out for help.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Hi concerntina player, welcome!

First, allow me to say :goodjob: on three weeks AF. That is something to really be proud of. I do hope that you'll visit and post often. I'm sorry there isn't more face to face support for you in Ireland, but MWO is a great resource.

Look forward to getting to know you.

AD

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Hey Concertinaplayer, nice to meet ya. You sound like a tough chap and I know you have a sense of humor b/c of your nurse Ratchet comment. You sound very determined not to drink. So use your talents to carry you through the next few weeks!! Welcome to the safe haven of MWO. Take advantage of the friendly advice offered here and I look forward to yours, mine & everyone's progress.

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Hi Concertina,
              I just came out of a similar relationship to yours.. me and my ex hubby were drinking to mask our lack of relationship too.. which made things worse.. I managed to separate, and get set up with my own flat along with looking after our son (who's now nearly 2).. i'm sure you can do the same.. i don't really know anybody where I am either..
              Sending you lots of strength.. I hope your friends are kind to you and let you stay with them.. broken hearts are tough, but drinking AL will make it worse.. can you see a counsellor for free in Ireland? that may help if you can talk things through with a professional, and come up with some coping strategies..
              I hope you find work too.. as that also helps heaps.. not just the money (though that is important), but your self-esteem too.. keep strong, and maybe search the internet to help you find work, somewhere to live.. we are here for you too..
              Katie
              "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Hi there Concertinaplayer.
                Big welcome to you.
                Sounds like you are going through a rotten patch just now but good on you for deciding to stop the madness.
                Hang around here for support, that support got me through some incredibly tough times and helped me stay sober when probably nothing else would.
                The army thread is a daily thread found in general discussion, come and join us, there are a few Irish folk on there.
                Take care and see you soon.
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Hello Concertinaplayer, from your fellow irish folk, there's plenty of us from Ireland around here. As Starts says call over to the Army thread, thats were you tend to find us. Congratulations on your AF time so far, hopefully we'll see you in the barracks.

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Welcome Concertinaplayer,
                    Phew, sounds like you are under enormous pressure at the moment. The fact that you have sought out this site, sober, and are asking for support speaks volumes about your resolve to change your drinking habits.
                    Can you sign on for benefit in Ireland? It would be good to look into that now before you are out of work.
                    Could you offer to work for your current boss for less money? What ever you do, don't isolate yourself.

As people above have said, booze will only make this situation more difficult. You sound like you have a fairly strong resolve at the moment. "I WILL NOT have a stupid drink though". Keep at it. Work on you mental attitude on a daily basis. You can get yourself through the next few months and come out the other side as a stronger person!!
                    Keep on posting here. Wishing you well.
                    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Homeless and sober?

hi & welcome concertinaplayer,you have came to a great place with lots of support & advice,there is help out there,you can check out your local hse,where they are sure to have some more info re course,s about alcohol abuse,Keep reading and posting your feelings and thoughts,you are not alone.hope you stick around.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Hello Concertina, welcome to a fantastic place. I searched for a long time before I found WMO and it is truly a life saver. The members here offer non judgemental support, advice and help and there are people from all over the world sharing the same problem. That means there is always someone to reach out to day or night so you will never be alone. I hope you stick around and find your own way out as so many have done here before.
                        Keep safe
                        KTAB
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Homeless and sober?

:welcome:Hi CP, just to say WELCOME...
                          make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Welcome CP!
                            I'm a musician too. A hard road, but i've done it, and so can you. Keep up the good work. Check out the 'Toolbox' thread in monthly abstinence section. Some great tip's, info, and idea's on staying off the grog.

Best wishes, and the 'Army' thread in general discussion section is a good one to check out, with great folk's and support. See 'Newbies nest' thread too, or jump in on any thread. Well done on getting here.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Homeless and sober?

Concert.........Just a thought, their are AA meetings where atheist meet. You'll need an AA Booklet to find the times and dates. You really have to have faith to overcome this problem and begin new life so I don't know how these meetings work.......Good Luck IAD.
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X