Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fun here and just bored

Hi all,

I have a problem. Nothing is fun. I don't do anything fun. My life is nothing more than a series of responsibilities - or so it feels like. I am on day 8 AF and the only thing I have to look forward to is quitting smoking (after two more cigs) and then misery. I have a ton of housework to do and there is a SMART meeting at 4 today I could go to. I walked out of my house today to go for a walk and couldn't get past the end of the block as I just felt wiped out. Maybe it's the Topamax. I don't know.

Part of the problem is where I live, I know. The things I like to do are not here. Or maybe I am just a big baby. Or maybe this is what life is about and I just need to accept that most of us just work hard and die.

What I CAN do is to restring some necklaces I made. Still, even that doesn't seem like fun. I need a haircut. I need to pay bills. Blech. Ok, thanks for letting me vent.

AD

Awww, Im sorry AD,

Where do you live anyways? You dont have to be specific if you dont want to. Is there any movie theatres around? Parks? Museums? ANything?

I can tell you that I work my ass off usually Monday through Friday, usually 12 hour days, so those 5 days is nothing fun about it at all. I cant stand my job really, ect.

My "fun" comes from my 5 year old son and my dog. If it wasnt for them, shit... who knows! I'd probably be real bad off.

Maybe it IS the topa. Give it some time, but remember. No matter how bored, or bad you feel. Drinking aint gonna fix that, just make it so much worse.

Hope these feelings pass soon for you.

Overit
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

There is alot of fun things in life without alcohol. Do you enjoy movies or reading books? The weather is pretty so go outside and enjoy spring. Hope it's spring wherever you are! Then there's us, you can talk to us anytime, we're fun! Aren't we? Also, I love reading funny posts. Have you read "I didn't know it was last night until this morning"? Hoping you have some "fun" today!
      I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
      but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

OverIt2007;821551 wrote: Awww, Im sorry AD,

Where do you live anyways? You dont have to be specific if you dont want to. Is there any movie theatres around? Parks? Museums? ANything?

I can tell you that I work my ass off usually Monday through Friday, usually 12 hour days, so those 5 days is nothing fun about it at all. I cant stand my job really, ect.

My "fun" comes from my 5 year old son and my dog. If it wasnt for them, shit... who knows! I'd probably be real bad off.

Maybe it IS the topa. Give it some time, but remember. No matter how bored, or bad you feel. Drinking aint gonna fix that, just make it so much worse.

Hope these feelings pass soon for you.

Overit
        Thanks, Overit.

I think I am being a big baby today. I have two adorable doggies I love and they are fun, even if they are poo eaters who have ruined my house.

Sounds like you work pretty hard. On the bright side, you have a job which is great! I need one of those. If I had one of those I'd feel like I had some money to spend.

I was thinking that rather than think in terms of "fun," I need to think in terms of "sense of accomplishment," yunno? For people like me (drinker that I have been), even going this long without a drink is a pretty good deal I have to count my blessings. There are people sitting in detox right now having a whole lot less fun than me or worse still. I should just count my blessings.

Thanks for your thoughts!

AD

Comment

sick of being sick;821553 wrote: There is alot of fun things in life without alcohol. Do you enjoy movies or reading books? The weather is pretty so go outside and enjoy spring. Hope it's spring wherever you are! Then there's us, you can talk to us anytime, we're fun! Aren't we? Also, I love reading funny posts. Have you read "I didn't know it was last night until this morning"? Hoping you have some "fun" today!
          :H Yes, you guys are the best!

I think I am going to go to the SMART meeting today. I am going to not look at it as a responsibility. And, as a special treat, I am going to stop at the thrift store on my way home. Thanks for your thoughts sick of being sick! BTW, how are YOU doing today?

Comment

Your welcome

Ad, we can all be big babies sometimes. I have been single for ages, and sometimes Im a big baby about "why cant I find a boyfriend???? Whaaaa Whaaa!

Then there are other days, I am like "who the F needs a loser boyfriend around. I LOVE being single!!!!

See, how our feelings can change day to day, and even sometimes, hour by hour.

Hope I made you laugh!!!

Overit

PS... NOW THATS SOME SUPER ADVICE IAD!!!! Thanks!
            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Anotherday........Sometimes life can be boring. We need to find other ways to spend our time. Read books....join something. It's the same problem all normal people have. Boredom is the devils friend.....as they say. Ha! Get your support here. Is it better to be bored and drunk or looking for something to do and sober....just a thought. IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD;821559 wrote: Anotherday........Sometimes life can be boring. We need to find other ways to spend our time. Read books....join something. It's the same problem all normal people have. Boredom is the devils friend.....as they say. Ha! Get your support here. Is it better to be bored and drunk or looking for something to do and sober....just a thought. IAD
                Hmmm, I need to think about this. Thing is, I'm not bored when drunk. Just bored when sober. I just posted another thread on other ways to spend time! We must have been thinking the same thought!

Comment

OverIt2007;821558 wrote: Your welcome

Ad, we can all be big babies sometimes. I have been single for ages, and sometimes Im a big baby about "why cant I find a boyfriend???? Whaaaa Whaaa!

Then there are other days, I am like "who the F needs a loser boyfriend around. I LOVE being single!!!!

See, how our feelings can change day to day, and even sometimes, hour by hour.

Hope I made you laugh!!!

Overit

PS... NOW THATS SOME SUPER ADVICE IAD!!!! Thanks!
                  Yes, LOL.

I am single too, but after the last nightmare, I can say I am better off so I am not even thinking about men these days, which is a relief. No, I have my little girls and my gigantic big boy kitty cat.

Thanks.

Comment

Anotherday, I have found that most alcoholics are intelligent people and need alot of stimuli. What is your passion? I know for me, it's paranormal research. When you find what really interest you, I have a feeling your boredom will go away. Have a great weekend!
                    runningwind :l
                    The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Yep.....your right....boredom causes us some distructive behavior habits. Hope you can handle that ....MWO is here to help. IAD
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

runningwind;821570 wrote: Anotherday, I have found that most alcoholics are intelligent people and need alot of stimuli. What is your passion? I know for me, it's paranormal research. When you find what really interest you, I have a feeling your boredom will go away. Have a great weekend!
                        runningwind :l
                        Excellent question and observation runningwind. I don't know. I guess cooking, but then the only problem with that is no one to feed but me and I'm on a diet. You are so right though. We need to find a passion and throw ourselves into that. Oh, and I love jewelry. I have beaded a lot and have a lot of necklaces. I need to restring some as I made them too short. Still, it gets expensive and a person can only have so much jewelry.

I have a good friend who is an alcoholic and his thing is choo choo trains. He is building this elaborate train complete with electricity and even with a fog background. He belongs to these groups of nerds where they all build trains.

Comment

you sound lonely.....can you join some groups....beading club, square dancing, book club, do some volunteer work...something where you interact with people???
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I can relate because I felt the same way as you did when I first quit drinking. What I have subsequently realized is that boredom did not cause me to drink (to relieve the boredom). Drinking was the CAUSE of my boredom. As drinking increased in importance in my life, doing anything else that was meaningful or interesting or fun (unless drinking was involved) became LESS important. And on the shifting balance went until all I did was drink.

Are you being a baby? Well, I can only speak for myself. But when I was in your shoes, I was definitely being a baby. It is not my husband's job or my town's job or my job's job to keep me entertained. It's up to ME to grow up and get off my a$$ and go find out what I like to do.

The good news is that by trying different things, I'm now busier than a one armed paper hanger and there aren't enough hours in the day for me to do everything I want to do. Is life perfect? No. Do I have a lot of responsiblities to take care of that are NOT classified as fun? Yes. Welcome to adult life. But life doesn't have to suck either. It is exactly what I make of it.

OK. Now you get your :l

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

You have hit the nail on the head Doggie Girl!!

AD: All week I've been so afraid of being bored because I wasn't sitting on my rear drinking all nite and watching mindless TV. So my sober self gave me a few "suggestions":

1. TAKE THE DOGS FOR A WALK IDIOT!! Why do you think Koby bounces off the walls every nite? Once a week agility is NOT enough exercise (for you either)
                              2. How about doing the dishes/vacuuming? Do you really like the sneezing/itchy/runny eyes
                              every day?
                              3. Finish one of your 18 million craft projects you've started!
                              4. Paint the bathroom/bedroom/kitchen-you bought the paint years ago!!
                              5. Go to Curves more than once a month!
                              6. Join your local dog club. Yeah yeah, I know you have 3 jobs blah blah blah. Get over it. You have every other weekend off!
                              7. Read a book-remember that?

Geez, my sober self is one mean task master b**ch!! She makes me want to drink just to hide from all her suggestions LOL!! But I did do a few of them and actually went to bed so much earlier than I normally do because I was tuckered out!! Good luck with your task master-hope she's nicer than mine!!
                              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Working...
                              X