Want to quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to quit

I have been drinking alcohol for a long time. I am 38 years old and I would have to say my drinking has escalated in the last 10 years. I now drink quite easily 2 bottles of red wine a night. I can have just one beer in an evening and can go without but never for more than a week before I gotta have that drink.
    I want to stop drinking but am worried about withdrawls.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to any supplements I would need to take to help me not drink? also is it safe for me to stop without my organs wanting to shut down from lack of alcohol.
    I have mild tiredness and a little achiing around the bottom of my ribs. I dont bloat or have stomach pains.

Want to quit

Hi Sheza - I am pretty new here but you have come to the right place. :welcome: I was drinking as much as you and have been AF for about a month now.
    I am taking Topamax. I know that other people are having good results with other meds. I find that the Kudzu and the L-Glutamine help. The L-Glutamine helps a LOT! I highly recommend it.
    Be sure to post here often and I'm sure that someone with more experience will be here to offer you some advise. I'm glad that you are here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you as we continue on this journey. :l
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Want to quit

Nora, if you can go without drinking for a week without having withdrawal symptoms, then you more than likely will be fine if you stop drinking for longer lengths of time. That is great and will really be good for you to make it alcohol free longer..

Read the posts and keep coming back. You are on the right road.

Winefree

Comment

Want to quit

Sheza - I agree with Winefree - you should be OK if you can go for a week without much to drink. This is a great place for you! Read the posts and hang in there -

Comment

Want to quit

Sheza, the pain you are experiencing is most likely gastric and/or liver pain. In my experience it will subside when you have gone AF for a time. I don't believe you need to be worried about withdrawals or your organs shutting down when you stop drinking. Best wishes.
          Alcohol is poison to my life - AF 04 January 2010

Comment

Want to quit

I agree with previous posts, if you can regularly go a week without alcohol you shouldn't have withdrawals. 'Luckily'? I knew nothing about withdrawals etc and just went cold turkey, nothing happened but from what I know now its prob not a good idea with the amount I was drinking, however a week would show up if anything ontoward was going to happen.
            Good luck with your journey
            Keep posting
            Molly
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Want to quit

Hey Sheza, Jus starting over again myself. Last time around (and I was sucesfull until I stopped taking the supplements and got too confident) I took Antabuse (Disulfiram). It doesn't help you with cravings or the likes but it takes away the possibility of drinking (theoretically). It helped me. it's subscription drug unfortunately (at least here), so you have to feel comfortable enough to speak to your/a doc about it. I'm going to see my doc today toget myself some. Hopefully this time I won't stop taking them
              AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Want to quit

Hi Sheza, I am glad you are here, and thinking about your health. I am not a doctor, but from the amounts you said you drink, cold turkey might be OK. I went this way, headaches were around for a week or so, and some confused feelings at times. Healthy food, and hydration are key.

I don't take traditional alcohol suplements etc, but I take vitamin D and fish oil pills (omega oils) that you can get at any drug strore or health store.

Good luck,
                Hill
                Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                X