Word of Warning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of Warning...

...To myself more than anything, but thought i'd post it here in case it helps anyone else/can relate...

I am sober now - I am grateful, for every sober day is a blessing.

This sober journey is like a job - when new, it is exiting and fresh but after some time, it can (as life does) get monotonous, hard, boring, stressful, feel a bit like drudgery - This is an opportunity to keep putting everything I can in - to get the very most out. To lead a fulfilling life.

Somewhere deep inside of me is an alkie waiting to get out! I am vulnerable and need to be realistic with my goals and keep my eyes open to potential risks. I am learning to be gentle with myself.

Always strive to be honest. With myself. Whether 1 day, 1 year, ten tears AF. I will not get complacent or cocky. I will never forget where I've been.

I will not drink today.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wildflower.
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

Word of Warning...

Sounds like a good plan Lost Soul

I will be 3 years AF next month & very grateful. This new way of living is no longer a chore, it's become habit & one I am proud of having

Keep up the great work!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Word of Warning...

Thank you for posting that, Lost Soul. It certainly helped me and gave me hope and encouragement.
      When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
      -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Word of Warning...

Thanks for that Lost Soul....
        Shiner

Comment

Word of Warning...

I have not had a drink in 3 days. My extra long - tiring work day started that "conversation in my head" as I drove home tonight - just a glass of red... Got home - did not stop in the kitchen - straight upstairs, changed into comfy clothes - washed my face and had no desire any more. Fixed a cup of tea while I made dinner. Here I sit - with clarity and hoping I can use the same mindset tomorrow as I begin the weekend - sober thinking....

Proud to be in your company -

Comment

Word of Warning...

thank you lost soul,
            i'm trying to be honest with myself. i have to be.
            i'm back at day one and trying to stay positive--to just focus again on this one day. that i know is possible.
            it was good to read your post.

Comment

Word of Warning...

Thank you so much for sharing! It's something I need to remember every day.

:thanks:TDN
              "One day at a time."

Comment

Word of Warning...

Yes, so right....I find checking in here OFTEN is the support I need every day. So right that the honeymoon (and like honeymoons in real life :H) do wear off after a while.

Then the real work begins. And I know from personal experience that one drink is all it takes for that first tumble to become an avalanche. And it sneaks up!!!!!!!! It kinda sucks that we have to be so careful but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy life. We have to be MINDFUL, rather than careful, if I can express it that way.

And that's a much more positive way to be :h
                Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Word of Warning...

Thanks for the words. I was just thinking of this at work today. O.K./ I was thinking now I am 30 days and a couple more AF/now what. I know I am good at quitting I've done it many times. Staying quit? This is where I falter. I need to figure out how to stay stopped. It's not a problem today but I know one day I will come to say "what's the point?". I am working on a longer term plan and know that I must work it every day. ~~ Anyway thanks for the thought provoking comments, I needed them today.

Comment

Word of Warning...

Ugh I wish I could find the freedom that you have - I am still a slave and do not see a way out......

Comment

Word of Warning...

There is always a way out, always. How much do people really want to make the hard choices to take that way out ?,It can mean changing all your :friends: changing your whole social life,making tough and hard decisions but at the end of the day its down to how much you really want to get out of this cesspit of alcohol ? The choice is always down to us as individuals.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Word of Warning...

Lost Soul;1254992 wrote: ...To myself more than anything, but thought i'd post it here in case it helps anyone else/can relate...

I am sober now - I am grateful, for every sober day is a blessing.

This sober journey is like a job - when new, it is exiting and fresh but after some time, it can (as life does) get monotonous, hard, boring, stressful, feel a bit like drudgery - This is an opportunity to keep putting everything I can in - to get the very most out. To lead a fulfilling life.

Somewhere deep inside of me is an alkie waiting to get out! I am vulnerable and need to be realistic with my goals and keep my eyes open to potential risks. I am learning to be gentle with myself.

Always strive to be honest. With myself. Whether 1 day, 1 year, ten tears AF. I will not get complacent or cocky. I will never forget where I've been.

I will not drink today.
                        Good post Lost soul

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Word of Warning...

I think people who do not suffer with difficulties with Al face the same troubles we do - and the same triumphs And must go through this life (which has no signposts and directions - which would have been bloody useful!) and get lost and flounder a bit.

People cope in different ways - Its your attitude and outlook that affects situation the greatest.
                          I could choose to see my struggle with AL as either:
                          1) Afflicted with a terrible disease that will haunt me for life
                          or
                          2)I have self awareness of a coping mechanism (AL) I use and am lucky to be going through this struggle with others in the same boat. I can encourage others when I can and can ask for help when I falter.

I am so very fortunate to recognise that choice.
                          I choose to fight - for my life.

I can see clearly now the rain has gone,
                          I can see all obstacles
                          in my way.

Taking AL hasn't made life peachy - but I can face life with a clear head, always learning
                          from my mistakes and triumphs and glad I have done it. xo
                          And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Word of Warning...

Lavande, I remember you from when I first joined and was in a relapse - You were a great support - Congratulations on 3 years af

Weezies well done - You see how it's the conversation in your head is always where the battle and struggle happens - that for me was so important beacause that is where it has to end to good luck

Girl1973 - Sorry you are feeling so down sometimes when your in the middle of something it can be hard to see the way out -
                            I'm a very visual person (I'm not a bloke btw and find it useful -
                            I'd Imagine falling in a bog and grabbing a branch or someones hand to get out. When I'm free I'm still filthy so concentrate on getting cleaned up and only then where I was going... That may sound like nonsense but something like that may work for you - Read around these boards and good luck xx
                            And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Dug up this oldie, I wrote it when I was AF for a couple of years - Sad I relapsed again but hopeful I can find peace again x
                              And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X