Square One.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Square One.

And, by the way Petey D does have a following of groupies!!!!!
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Square One.

Yeah, Jamie Oliver definition. Doherty's just the most modern face of our culture's elevation of drunks and junkies to the heights of the demigods, isn't he? Nice work if you can get it, right? This certainly isn't a new thing. When I started my boozing career a decade and a half ago, I couldn't relate to the parkbench tramp and his industrial strength mega cider anymore than I'm sure anyone posting here could. No, I thought I was Guns n Roses. James Bond. J.R.Ewing. (No, seriously). Trouble is, of course, there's some double standards afoot. If you're an ordinary, evveryday, mortal drunk, you could easily lose your family, your job, your house etc with your drinking . But if you're a famous drunk, or famous for being a drunk (even better), you can expect the offers of tabloid exclusives, fat cheques and supermodels to come pouring in before your first priory trip or arrest for D.U.I.
      Quite the role models arn't they?
      Many congrats to all those still AF.:goodjob: .

Comment

Square One.

Hello again Obzpodboy

I agree with all you have said - I was being cheerfully cheeky and you are right they are no role models at all.

My congrats to all those AF too!

Amelia
        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Square One.

Hi Obzpodboy and welcome from me too! :welcome:

Your note struck a cord with me as not so very long ago I considered myself to be in a similar situation (not on all fours tiling the bathroom floor - although that admittedly needs doing too [once I have found the mysterious leak! ])

But rather knowing, deep down, that I was drinking too much, that I was using it to mask the bits of me I could know longer face dealing with; and then I was in a vicious circle as each time I drank I was, with each gulp, a little more disappointed with myself and all that I stood for - erosion of the soul.......

Anyway, I've been hanging round these boards for about a month or so I guess - and went AF a little time ago - I'm now on day 9. A small step but I feel so good about it. My plan is to do 30 days - not only to prove to myself that I can; but also to give myself some time to find again the real me. I then hope to moderate - but will review this decision rapidly if I see things slipping! Af'ing has been extremely hard on occasions - but so, so rewarding.

For what it's worth - I'm on vits and supps (+ kudzo) but no meds and have read the book and use the hypno (which I think really works). I also found Allan Carr's book useful - and most importantly - the support you get here is amazing; on these boards and through private messaging (thank you my friend in France ! :l )

I've gabbled on now so I'll gabble off........... but welcome and hope you find this place as supportive as I have. Try reading the amazing thread that IrishLady wrote about swimming pools under general discussions - it's so inspirational!

Keep coming here and posting ! :goodjob:

Ilex x
          Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened
          :whee:

Comment

Square One.

Sorry Amelia, I was feeling a tad grumpy yesterday. Apologies for the sense of humour failure.

Comment

Square One.

No worries, it wasn't my best line anyway

Keep us posted on how you are getting along.

Amelia
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Square One.

How are you getting on Amelia? Are you currently AF? I didn't actually manage an af yesterday, unfortunately. After a day spent mangling a bathroom floor, I was required to shulp along to a late meeting with some faceless suits, and the household were tucked into their duvets by the time I returned. Needless to say, I yeilded to a glass or three of red in front of the paperwork pile. Rubbish. But today has been a cinch. I bolted out for a run immediately after downing tools - two smoothies and a ham sandwich later and I'm fit for slumber. Feeling in pretty good shape all told. Wish I could say the same for the bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                X