• Show
Clear All

L-Glutamine

Also muscles are good they burn fat!!
    AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
    Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

L-Glutamine

DooDoo, L-Glutamine free-form powder is also renown to nutritionalists as a "gut restorer" meaning it rebuilds the fortitude of our intestinal tract which is badly affected by long term alcohol abuse. Buy it in a large container on ebay (that's what I do) and save a ton of $. I put it in my amino-fortified whey protein powder for after-workouts. One rounded teaspoon has approx 5 grams of the amino. According to studies I've read you may need 12 grams or more per day to fight cravings. I'ts kind of gritty in it's free-form but if you put it in juice it's ok. BTW taking a protein shake once or twice a day won't bulk you up either and can really help our poor brains and bodies alike since the better brands are crammed with a wide range of aminos.
      to your health! (swigging some sparkling water)
      D
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

L-Glutamine

Doo Doo,
        You need to refer to Lushy's thread for some better ways to respond to your "not so advised advisor" at your health store!

Most of all, I have learned more about L-glutamine on this thread and I know it has worked so good for me in the past, but I quit taking it along with almost all supps. Mainly b/c I ran out. I have said the whole year that I have been a member that L-glutamine and Gaba have helped me more than anything!

But also am strong recommender of doing the whole program. Certain supps we feel immediate benfits from, others are doing secret work that we cannot see. The more secret work they do, the better we feel. It all works together as planned.
        What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

L-Glutamine

Hi,
          I found this about L-Glutamine. It sounds like the person in the shop needs to read more stuff like this.

L-Glutamine

Introduction
          L-glutamine is the most prevalent amino acid in the blood. Human cells readily manufacture L-glutamine and under normal circumstances, dietary intake and production of L-glutamine is sufficient. However, in times of stress or increased energy output, the body's tissues need more L-glutamine than usual, making supplementation important.
          L-glutamine can be found in beans, brewer's yeast, brown rice bran, dairy products, eggs, fish, legumes, meat, nuts, seafood, seeds, soy, whey, whole grains and beet root.

One of L-glutamine’s most important functions involves the support of cellular energy, growth and repair. Studies suggest that alcoholics may lack the necessary systems to deliver L-glutamine to cells that are in need of it. In these cases, L-glutamine supplementation in concert with riboflavin may relieve symptoms of alcoholism.(1)
          L-glutamine may have several applications in the treatment of cancer. First, scientists believe that L-glutamine may be deficient in patients with tumors and that supplementation may restore L-glutamine to normal levels.(2) What’s more, L-glutamine may reduce tumor growth.(3) Taking L-glutamine in an oral rinse preparation may also reduce the pain and inflammation associated with chemotherapy.

Scientists also believe that deficiency in L-glutamine may be linked to gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and colon inflammation. Supplementation may improve symptoms of these disorders while supporting overall health of the intestines.(4, 5)

L-glutamine may also boost the immune system, some studies suggest. Scientists think that taking L-glutamine orally may enhance the activity of infection-fighting white blood cells and other agents. It may also decrease the permeability of the intestines, thus making it harder for invaders to attack the body.(6)

L-glutamine levels have been found to be decreased in endurance athletes who train too often and at high intensity.(7, 8) In fact, these athletes tend to have a higher incidence of infectious diseases and allergies, and have been noted to have swollen lymph nodes and experience slower wound healing. Athletes undergoing a strenuous workout schedule may be able to reduce the risk of infections by supplementing with L-glutamine.(9, 10) Athletes experienced an increase in body mass, lean body mass, and initial rate of power production when using a supplement containing creatine monohydrate and glutamine.(11)

Finally, because L-glutamine supports the growth of new cells, it may be useful in the enhancement of wound healing. Wounds such as burns, surgical and traumatic wounds, cuts, and others may heal faster with supplementation.(12, 13)

Suz
          Suz
          Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

L-Glutamine

How do I know how much Glutimine to take? I just got it yesterday, and basically following the dosage on the bottle, along with Kudzu ..this seems to be working thus far. But how much should I take?
            Thanks!

Comment

L-Glutamine

Did you get powder or pills Lee? I take the powder and try to take two tsps a day (which is 10 grams). I mix it with juice. I am not sure about the pills but I think when I took pills was taking about 3000 mg (1000 mg three times a day).
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

L-Glutamine

Thanks for the reply. Currently I am taking 500mg 2 x a day, and I think I should increase it. The effects are there but minimal. It's probably in my head, but I felt a bit bloated taking it combined with the Kudzu this past week. ANyway, I'm going to increase it today and see how it goes.
                thanks

Comment

L-Glutamine

Hello Lee. I'm taking 15 - 20 a day right now, because I am doing heavy weight training, and that is what is recommended. I think 5 -10g a day would be good if you aren't into building a lot of muscle.
                  where does this go?

Comment

L-Glutamine

L-Glutamine is supplemented by athletes and weight trainers to aid with muscle performance and recovery. Supplementing L-Glut will not cause you to build muscle, but if you are into weight training it will help you to build muscle by helping your muscles recover faster to enhance your training performance. Endruance athletes supplement L-glut for similar reasons, enhanced performance and muscle recovery, however they do not experience any "bulking up". As a runner, I supplement 10-15 grams of L-glut daily, depending on my training. I don't have an ounce of bulk on me, quite the opposite. One of the benefits of supplementing L-glut is that it helps to reduce sugar and carb cravings and thereby has also been said to help reduce alcohol cravings. Studies have shown that we tolerate well up to about 18-20 grams of L-glut per day. There are no noted side effects. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water with your supplements. If you are giving up drinking a lot of alcohol, you are losing a lot of fluids that your body is used to getting - yes, we even absorb water from wine, beer, etc. So that could possibly contribute to the bloated feeling you are having - not enough fluids = water retention = bloating.
                    :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Working...
                    X