Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The eternal struggle

Hi all,

I am new to this. I am really struggling with addiction. I really started drinking hard about 4 years ago when I realized my marriage was failing. The relationship was doomed whether I drank or not, so I used that as my escape to not deal with the situation at hand. Since then I progressed from beer to wine to whiskey. I have gone 2 days without drinking one time. I want to stop and seem to not have the will power. I quit smoking several years ago and envisioned quitting alcohol to be as easy, but it is not. Quitting smoking I got a bit aggressive but held it in, which was tolerable. Alcohol is wholly different. I get uncontrollable shakes which at work, I get questioned on. I get cold sweats, just thinking about a drink makes me go to something like a happy place in my mind for a bit until I ?come to? and remember I am at work and that I need to get a grip on reality at least until I am alone. Also, times when I would normally bite my tongue and not comment when someone pisses me off, if I am drinking, I say things I regret or at least, say things I know I shouldn?t.
    :new:

The eternal struggle

Hello & welcome jayar!

Glad you found us & decided to join MWO, this is a good place!
    I started out by downloading the MWO book from the Health store here on the site. It has lots of useful information. AL is sneaky & it really gets it grips on you. Having the willingness & even will power to quit is not enough. Some folks need medical intervention, have you spoken to a doctor? Sometimes they will give you something to help ease the shakes which are a withdrawal symptom.
    Do you have any time you can take off of work? Is there anyone available to help you out for a few days?

Making a good plan for yourself so you detox safely is very important. Take a look in our https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for lots of ideas to help you out. Please drop in the Newbies Nest thread for ongoing support too

Wishing the very best!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

The eternal struggle

Lots of good support here, you can stay in the conversation here. Lots of knowledgeable and listnening supportive folks. I have been here 9 days and I always get a tweek in a positive way.

Getting help is hard but sometimes it is necessary. WIsh you the best.
      What you resist persits

Comment

The eternal struggle

Welcome jayar. You've taken the first most important step. Keep strong. You can do it. X
        Drink free since 18 August 2013:h

Comment

Working...
        X