Sugar Free Roll Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating one week allll by myself!

And a little honey here and there seems to calm the up & down thoughts better than raisins... Kind of the same results as eating an orange or apple.

Added bonus is no regrets. I really want to stop this perfectionist approach and be gentle with my thoughts.
    Last edited by Eloise; May 20, 2015, 04:20 PM.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Way to go, SF E! It really helps me to have fellow quit buddies for support. Thanks for being there and congrats on a week of healthier living!

As for me...being 'sugar' free means jettisoning the processed crap - white sugar and quick converting starches like taters. I am into frozen organic berries for my deserts lately. My pugs love the cherries.

I'm chugging up on 7 days SF, too....planning to make it since I'll be riding my bike after dinner and will be way too tired to think about eating before bed!

Lost 2 pounds this week. Nice.
      Sober for the Revolution!
      AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

It helps me too Turnagain to have support with this & remembering to post daily helps.
        I am at the stage it needs to be just what I do, instead of think 'no, that isnt for you!' I am getting there.

Good job on the daily exercise!

Comment

Day 10

Just waking up, Saturday morning. Let it be a dull week-end, looking forward to it!

Comment

Woot! Woot! Made it through another dinner out date night with no desert or even a mint to finish off.

Day 8? Gotta keep better track or learn how to count, I think.
            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Hey Turnagain... I made snack for my art program today for this week and used honey instead of sugar. I almost didn't for the cookies and then I thought best not tempt fate. It is basically just these snacks that I find tempting... I made nutella chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin cupcakes. The cookies have sugar from the nutella but I think the kids will be a lot less crazy without the sugar. I had one cookie (wanted to try them and they are good) and I am not going to be a perfectionist. Very cool because one cookie doesn't make me want 8 more and I do not beat myself up about trying a cookie. We can do this we just have to be well prepared.

Comment

Hi, El and Turn. In an (over)response to a question someone posed, I wrote about my experiences with sugar/carbs and alcohol if you're interested. You guys are doing great! xx, NS

Comment

Thank you NS for this link ( which I am very impressed with )... You hit the nail on the head regarding this link between alcohol & sugar. Thank you for articulating it all so clearly. It is late here and I am happy to have your link to re-read your post.

Comment

Hey Sweet SF friends...

I'm still SF but have been away from the computer for a bit. Nice to break those chains now and then.... but I'm back and am tracking again - I am pretty sure I'm closing down Day 12.

Eloise, I've got more of a jones for carbs as opposed to straight up sugar SO those treats have to be off my list - even with honey. My thyroid was destroyed a few years ago - most likely by alcohol - and now it's out. I struggle with losing all the AL weight I put on. I dropped 40 on a slow roll after I quit and then just plateaued. I'm definitely dealing with the impact of insulin resistance.

Thanks for posting your experience link, NS. I resonate with that and eagerly look forward to absorbing any knowledge you share about nutrition. xoxox
                    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Hey Turnagain... You do sound rather positive my friend. 40 lbs lost? That it definitely something to brag about!
                      As for my honey cookies, yes it would be best to go without but I work from home and make snack for my students. Substituting honey for sugar keeps me sucessful in my mind. Plus one or two of them is enough.. 10 cookies made with sugar are enough...same deal with pasta... So best to avoid them entirely which I can do, just do not take the first bite much like alcohol. ��
                      I think we are doing great!

Comment

I'm chugging along! I'm pretty sure this is day 15. Maybe? I've had just a few minor eating deviations - for me. Today I had a few of my husbands sweet potato fries while we were out for lunch. Otherwise, I'm eating clean, clean, clean. I just feel so much better when I'm fueled with real food.

NS said something to me once about how her views of both sugar and alcohol had changed to the point where those substances were 'dead' to her. I've managed that with alcohol and am trying to apply the same methods to sugar. I know what you're saying about finding the ways to keep you feeling successful and indeed, avoiding that first bite is KEY!
                        Last edited by Turnagain; May 31, 2015, 02:09 AM.
                        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

17 days now!

Your weightloss got me thinking Turnagain, so I looked through my old calendars and I have lost 18 pounds since I stopped drinking.
                          I stopped with bread and pasta almost entirely, maybe the occassional whole wheat pita?
                          I allow myself the occassional potato or chip as long as it is really occassionally (and I am not craving it).

Trying to drop one more and cannot seem to do it.
                          Counting calories now.

Keeping baked goods made with sugar out if the house seems to be key for me.
                          Last edited by Eloise; May 31, 2015, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Looking ahead to a SF June!

19 days and doing fine. :horse:

Comment

Still SF here - and can't remember the day count. Do I really have to do the math? Got THAT in common with Barbie. I actually was not much of a counter after my first 30 days of going AF and NF, but believe me, I DO know the date my life changed forever and for the better. WAY better.

Congrats on those 18 pounds, Ms. E! I can relate to life on the plateau for sure. I've been doing a lot of reading on how alcohol really screws up our metabolism. It's just heinous. I attribute my digestive problems to alcohol along with the loss of my thyroid. It was full of nodules and had just stopped working. It's a long haul to fix the damage, but I feel I'm getting there.

This last week I started taking a live PX90 class out at one of the military bases here - my cousin is the teacher. So I'm some flabby old lady out puffing around with all those cut warriors. Oh well! They don't laugh at me - at least while I'm looking!

Anyway, I have a feeling it is going to take some pretty extreme physical exercise on my part to get off the plateau - yoga and walking and bike riding don't seem to be cutting it. I can't change my diet any more. I eat very clean. Nothing processed. I have been told I may not be eating enough which can also stymie weight loss. Do you have any experience with calorie trackers? I've tried Spark and my Fit Bit, but seem to get easily frustrated with the input since they often don't have the REAL food I eat.
                              AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

I hope you don't get caught up in calorie counting, Turn. What matters is what your body does with those you put in. The high-intensity exercise should really help!

This website might give you some ideas: http://www.dietdoctor.com/. Congrats on your continuing SF-hood!

Comment

Working...
                                X